Tarot and Health

conspiracy theorist

Just before we get into this I'm well aware that there are more mundane and socially acceptable ways to diagnose illnesses and to figure out why a person has fallen ill. This thread is not about that and one could post as much "practical" advice as they want, however I will not engage with it. Others are free to do what they want.

I've been nursing a minor illness and I thought it was a good opportunity to practice my tarot reading skills by doing a health reading for myself.

I used Josephine McCarthy's "Layout for health readings, for use by healers." The layout and the explanation for each position can be found at the bottom of this page - https://josephinemccarthy.com/tarot-resources/

I will just be posting the positions that I got in the tarot reading that I did. You can figure out what each card speaks to by clicking the link.

Position 1 - Two of pentacles
Position 2 - 8 of pentacles
Position 3 - The hermit
Position 4 - Strength
Position 5 - Death
Position 6 - The empress
Position 7 - Judgement
Position 8 - Devil
Position 9 - Page of cups
Position 10 - Page of wands
Position 11 - Ten of Cups
Position 12 - Ten of Wands
Position 13 - Ace of Cups
Position 14 - The Heirophant
Position 15 - The Hanged Man

Based on this reading, for the most part I'm doing fine. No particularly strong inner influences coming into or around me at this time (in the appropriate positions I got pentacles - this is just as well, I'm very focused on mundane affairs), my immune system seems to be working well, my hormonal balance is good, bones, muscles and nerves are all in decent shape and what I'm putting into my body results in strength and vitality. All very good indications. An interesting tidbit is that I got Ten of Wands with what is happening in my sleep (position 12) and last night I once again experienced the internal psychic burning sensations I normally do when I get sleep paralysis. "Oppression" is fitting.

The most negative things that are shown in this reading is the fact of position 5 and 8 - Death and The Devil. I'm aware of why I've gotten death in this position but the devil is something that I was not expecting.

This is what position 8 indicates -

8:The eighth position is the central core of the body which houses the vital organs. If there is a problem with the vital organs, it will show here. If a major aggressive card falls in this position, then the reader needs to do further readings to see which specific organ has been affected.

I'd classify the devil as a major aggressive card.

So for those who are following along, how would you approach the next step in this process? I have a couple of ideas on how to approach it, one of which is to do a tarot layout of the chakra system, which corresponds to specific organs in the body and the endocrine system more commonly. Also, I have an idea to use two other different layouts and mechanically scrutinize each vital organ with it - one is the tree of life layout (the final card can be read as a "yes or no"), or the abridged inner landscape layout

The floor is open for any one who has anything at all to say about the tarot and how it relates to reading the health of an individual - it can be your own process in figuring out the issues that are going on with a person. This is also not limited to only physical health but mental, psychological, emotional, spiritual. I know that there a many persons on this forum who are more versed in tarot than I am - feel free to share what you know or your methods.

Last edited:

BlackLioness87

Fortunately you didn't get the Tower.

I would link the devil to an illness of sexual nature or "malfunctioning" of reproductive organs. If you know these aren't a possibility then you'll probably use one of the methods you are proposing. But in my experience, whenever I start asking the tarot too many questions about the same topic I start getting wrong answers. But I guess it depends... some things should be revealed at the appropriate time, so tarot won't give a detailed answer on things that shouldn't be known in advance.

Se habla español.

conspiracy theorist

I could see how a general reading of the devil would encourage someone to think along those lines but the layout that I used does a good job of contextualizing the cards that come up. In this case what I would look at in regard to sexual health is position 9 -

9:The ninth position is the male sexual organs, testosterone and bladder. Testosterone is also present in females and if the reading is for a woman and a difficult card turns up in this position, then it will probably be necessary to look more in depth at her endocrine system and hormone balances. If they all look fine in separate readings, then a reading needs to be done to look at her hormonal response to being around males.

I got Page of Cups in this position (Princess of Cups more specifically). No problems there.

Do you have a specific approach to health reading? Do you have any other cards that come up for certain types of ailments, in your experience?

On that last bit, I have an opportunity to learn Spanish and if I can maneuver some things in my favour, then I'll be able to take it. I'd love to gain proficiency in the language.

BlackLioness87

I could see how a general reading of the devil would encourage someone to think along those lines but the layout that I used does a good job of contextualizing the cards that come up. In this case what I would look at in regard to sexual health is position 9 -

I got Page of Cups in this position (Princess of Cups more specifically). No problems there.

Do you have a specific approach to health reading? Do you have any other cards that come up for certain types of ailments, in your experience?

On that last bit, I have an opportunity to learn Spanish and if I can maneuver some things in my favour, then I'll be able to take it. I'd love to gain proficiency in the language.

I've never asked the tarot about specific ailments, just about recovery from health conditions. I know a professional tarot reader that was able to give some light about health conditions with the "egipcios kier" tarot deck and a regular (all-purpose) spread. IMO, decks that make use of a lot of symbolism are the most helpful for this kind of readings.

I hope experienced tarot readers give their input.

P.S Where I live (close to the Andes) people who believe in fortune telling usually consult the coca leaves for health diagnostics. According to the shapes or condition of the leaves, coca readers can identify the affected organ. It's easier I guess, because if the coca leave that is identified as the significator has a spot or some damage in a specific part of it, that would be the affected part of your body. If the leave has a spot in the upper part your ailment is related to your head and so on.

Aùn demoro traduciendo y cometo varios errores en inglés. :D Gaining proficiency in a language is complicated when you don't have the chance to practice it very often. :( Sometimes I have to re-read some things to understand them ;). I hope you can learn Spanish while you're young :D.

Last edited:

Bunraku

15 friggin cards!?

I pulled one out for you and it’s the justice reversed. Excessive severity.
Sounds like you, always working and pushing :lol:

conspiracy theorist

Oh, I created this thread? Here I thought it was new.

I'd want to hear what your cards show Bun. I liked the reading you gave me that one time, especially for its lack of psychobabble.