Will astrology become mainstream?

kaali

Hello everyone, I'm curious to hear opinions on whether you think astrology is gaining in popularity and will eventually become mainstream? I really do and with that will (hopefully) come advances in quantum physics that can potentially add "scientific" validation to astrology, but also may change some of the more traditional approaches.

That's in an ideal situation though, combining science and spirituality. But to my understanding (I've gotten into conspiracy theories lately) certain "corporate interests" would be opposed to that. I really think there needs to be more support for quantum physics though and it's only a matter of time, but I could be wrong on that...

I'm an optimist at heart but but lately have been losing some of that idealism. Hopefully the Age of Aquarius won't turn into one massive corporate monopoly sanctioning "equality"- the book "Brave New World" comes to mind. Any thoughts?

kaali

Pew Research 2010 survey of American spiritual beliefs

Astrology is not science; it is divination, inherently spiritual and unverifiable. The fact that people continue to try to "prove" it saddens me.

"I think I can safely say that no one understands quantum mechanics."

Do you think that astrology becoming more popular would be a good thing? Why?

Well that article mentions something about "26% believe that spiritual energy is located in physical things". And physics studies the foundations of the physical world so... Just claiming "no one understands it so it must not be true" isn't a very good argument. Science begins with making hypothesis, and by definition even scientific "law" can be dismantled if contradictory evidence is found later on

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry101/a/lawtheory.htm

And I'm not saying it would automatically be a good thing, especially if used in the wrong ways... which is why I think it's important to continue the advances in quantum physics so there is more of an understanding.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-chopra/your-brain-is-the-univers_b_2992746.html

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/pc/brain-universe.html

RodJM

I think the definition of "mainstream" will become more diverse with tinges of perverse in it. However, in saying that I really believe there are forces or energies in the universe of which the planets and signs are like different levels of entities which vibrate or resonate with these waves and "convey" that to us here on earth. Its only a matter of time until tools and technologies can perceive, observe and thus substantiate this symbolic language of Astrology to the ever increasing expansion of the collective consciousness.

Kijuki

In the late '70s' there was a statistic saying that more astrology, occult and general esotera books were sold during the low sunspot part of the 11 year cycle than for the rest of the cycle. We have been on low sunspots since around 2000. The two main low spot periods before this one were the 'Sporer minimum' 1420 -1570 that's 150 years; and the 'Maunder minimum' 1645 - 1715, only 70 years. http://373media.me.uk/page16.html These periods were marked with terrible weather, famine, mass deaths and huge oppression from the church and governments and a rise in the occult life. Rabelais was born in 1486 in France. His father was a hemp farmer. Hemp was the main crop for rope, sails, canvas for religious sign writing, food, building materials etc. The French church banned its growth and use as they perceived that it was in some way the cause of religious disrespect. So the farmers carried on growing it but called it beans. Some say that 'magic beans' occurred then. (Has anyone noticed how references to the occult and astrology are gradually being excluded from the internet?) We seem to be continually subjected to the effect of the stars and astrology during this low spot time. The rise in new prophets and aspects like sun/neptune etc wiping people out may indicate some sort of overload, don't forget, the cycle used to give us a rest every 11years . So, as a drawn out answer to your question, it'll get more popular but will probably have more opposition; this seems to be happening already.

E

eternalautumn

Well that article mentions something about "26% believe that spiritual energy is located in physical things". And physics studies the foundations of the physical world so... Just claiming "no one understands it so it must not be true" isn't a very good argument.

I offered the link to Pew Research to show that about 25% of Americans believe in astrology, which honestly shocked me.

The second link was because I'm tired of people throwing quantum physics around like they even know what it is, let alone how it proves astrology. Most physicists don't understand quantum physics, dear, that's what I was trying to say. But if you or some astrologer you know has it figured out and has somehow linked it to how astrology works, please enlighten me.

And for the record, I never claimed "no one understands it so it must not be true". Please don't put words in my mouth. But I will stand by my claim that astrology is unprovable, and people who waste time trying to prove it are misguided and obviously don't understand what they're doing when they do astrology. The same goes for people who try to prove Tarot, or I Ching, or any other form of divination.

kaali

RodJM, yes things like the superstring theory or the unified field (which has actually been around for a very long time) suggest exactly what you're talking about with vibrations or some unifying force connecting us in the same electric waves or collective consciousness. Call it crazy but spirituality and science both boil down to "knowledge" which is kind of the whole premise of quantum physics to begin with...

Kijuki, thank you for the info and the link, very interesting! To be honest I'd never even heard of the cycle of sun spots and the correlations with occult/astrological influences, I'll definitely have to look more into it... Can I ask what you mean about Sun/Neptune aspects? Do you mean as natal aspects?

kaali

I offered the link to Pew Research to show that about 25% of Americans believe in astrology, which honestly shocked me.

The second link was because I'm tired of people throwing quantum physics around like they even know what it is, let alone how it proves astrology. Most physicists don't understand quantum physics, dear, that's what I was trying to say. But if you or some astrologer you know has it figured out and has somehow linked it to how astrology works, please enlighten me.

And for the record, I never claimed "no one understands it so it must not be true". Please don't put words in my mouth. But I will stand by my claim that astrology is unprovable, and people who waste time trying to prove it are misguided and obviously don't understand what they're doing when they do astrology. The same goes for people who try to prove Tarot, or I Ching, or any other form of divination.

I was actually saying I hope there will be more understanding in the future, not that I'm here to "enlighten" anyone. Funny how you think I was putting words in your mouth

And no I'm not a scientist but something tells me you're not either... I also don't think astrology is something you "do". It's more of a learning process or a complicated understanding. Seeing it as a verb seems misguided to me and like you're uncomfortable believing in something you have no control over so I can see how this would be an upsetting topic for you..

Last edited:

Flapjacks

Hello everyone, I'm curious to hear opinions on whether you think astrology is gaining in popularity and will eventually become mainstream? I really do and with that will (hopefully) come advances in quantum physics that can potentially add "scientific" validation to astrology, but also may change some of the more traditional approaches.

That's in an ideal situation though, combining science and spirituality. But to my understanding (I've gotten into conspiracy theories lately) certain "corporate interests" would be opposed to that. I really think there needs to be more support for quantum physics though and it's only a matter of time, but I could be wrong on that...

I'm an optimist at heart but but lately have been losing some of that idealism. Hopefully the Age of Aquarius won't turn into one massive corporate monopoly sanctioning "equality"- the book "Brave New World" comes to mind. Any thoughts?

Quantum mechanics is still a huge mess, really. The only similarity I see with astrology is that it's comprised of many theories, ranging from realistic and visionary to completely off the deep end, where much of it is misunderstood and misinterpreted by by the public due to quacks and hacks.

The Religion of Science is already being erected to become a public spectacle, though. Niel deGrasse Tyson and the Carl Sagan "Cosmos" reboot is a good example. Corporate interests are not opposed to it at all; in fact it is very useful to reel in good, complacent customers.

"Don't worry, our products are backed by Science. You can have faith in Science!"

...etc.

I would be interested to see Astrology become as "mainstream" as say, chiropractic work, for instance... which is still on the fringes of medicine but most of the medical community still acknowledge benefits.

Jesse Booth

THere's too many people who commercially practice astrology with no real knowledge of it for that to happen any time soon. In order for astrology to become as well-respected as it was in previous centuries, such as during the Renaissance, or in the time of the Roman Empire, a LOT of no-talent hacks and would have to retire.

Or be systematically kidnapped and shipped to penguin slaughter houses in Antartica, if anyone is willing to invest in my pro-slavery ranching business. I promise, the penguins will be treated just as humanely as the "unpaid interns.":wink:

Kijuki

Kaali, sun/neptune. These were conjunct on the 23rd of Feb of course and for me it seemed as though a veil of confusion had descended on the planet. The resolutions of quite large events are delayed indefinitely. Almost artificially, but that's neptune. Astrology has such strength at the moment seemingly forcing itself upon us, it could become second nature.

RodJM

RodJM, yes things like the superstring theory or the unified field (which has actually been around for a very long time) suggest exactly what you're talking about with vibrations or some unifying force connecting us in the same electric waves or collective consciousness. Call it crazy but spirituality and science both boil down to "knowledge" which is kind of the whole premise of quantum physics to begin with...
True, but I think its more than what we define as "electric waves" that connect it all, There are bound to be forces in the universe we just don't know about yet. One day after we all stop having global conflicts and all that kind of related nonsense, we will have the resources to explore this as a whole humanity.

Last edited:

Zarathu

Account Closed
I am currently reading a book called ASTROLOGY: A PLACE IN CHAOS by Bernadette Brady(The Wessex Astrologer, Bournemouth England, 2006). I had to have it shipped from the UK where Brady lives and works. This work is an outgrowth of her Masters Thesis in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology from Bath Spa University, in the UK. She is currently working on her PhD in that subject at the university. I wish I had access to things like that where I live in the USA(an astrologically backward place, I'm afraid.)

Anyways....

After writing about a very interesting history of how the world separated from Chaos Theory to Order theory, she notes how science has now been forced due to the writings of mathematician Henri Poincare in 1899, and Edward Lorenz in 1961, been forced to realize that most of the universe operates on non-linear dynamic systems(chaotic system) and not on linear systems that the scientific method was designed to study: she hits on theme of the book on page 59:

The fact that much of the universe appears now to be non-linear chaotic systems was a jolt of major proportions to the scientific world.

"Since the work of Rene Descartes in the 17th century truth has been defined as that which could be tested, classical science had declared as true the knowledge gained about measurable quantitative subjects such as how fast, how heavy, how high, how hot, and so on-and doubtful or potential untrue all that knowledge that could not be weighted and measured- phenomenological knowledge.

"The scientific method was designed to test linear dynamic systems and, since only linear dynamic systems could pass this scientific standard, then only linear dynamic systems were considered to yield truths. It is a simple security seeking process:

"If you can't weigh it, then you can't test it.
"If you can test it, then its not true.
"If its not true, then its false
"If it is false, then it does not exist.
"If it does not exist, then we can all feel safe in the delusion that everything is "understood and controlled.

"Only the mechanical linear world could be proved in the scientific model, an so only the mechanical linear world existed. There was no world outside the garden wall."

I will report on more of this as I keep reading. Brady also has several You-tube discussions which are exciting and other papers, since her thoughts have matured for 8 years since 2006(or 2004-2006 when she was writing the book)

Z

Last edited:

Monk

Premium Member
Hi Zarathu,
I have always been a fan of Brady, and have her fixed star astrology program, StarLight.