Late Rising Sign / House

LovelyMissAries

**If this needs to be moved, please do. I wasn't sure what thread it would fit into when I looked.**

My rising sign is 23 degrees Gemini. When I use Placidus, a large portion of that house falls in my 12th, and a large portion of my 2H ruler, Cancer, is actually in my 1st.

If this happens, is there any method or theory that says "Well yeah, she's a Cancer rising." Or something similar? When I connect the dots in relation to real life, it makes more sense. When I look at how the Moon is placed, it makes sense without having to overthink it.

What are other's experiences with late degree rising signs, or do you use a different house system that makes sense for you? I'm curious for other people who have a different sign falling in their first house, if that ruler and such is an effortless fit for describing their outward appearance / persona.

katydid

**If this needs to be moved, please do. I wasn't sure what thread it would fit into when I looked.**

My rising sign is 23 degrees Gemini. When I use Placidus, a large portion of that house falls in my 12th, and a large portion of my 2H ruler, Cancer, is actually in my 1st.

If this happens, is there any method or theory that says "Well yeah, she's a Cancer rising." Or something similar? When I connect the dots in relation to real life, it makes more sense. When I look at how the Moon is placed, it makes sense without having to overthink it.

What are other's experiences with late degree rising signs, or do you use a different house system that makes sense for you? I'm curious for other people who have a different sign falling in their first house, if that ruler and such is an effortless fit for describing their outward appearance / persona.

Even though your 1st house has a lot of Cancer energy packed inside, you still have Gemini rising, and Mercury would still be your chart ruler.

And I do see a distinction between someone with 2 Gemini rising and someone with 22 Gemini rising.

With a late degree Ascendant ,your rising sign will change by progression much earlier. By SA progression, your Ascendant became Cancer by about age 7 or 8.

waybread

My ascendant is in a late degree of Virgo.

Usually I use Placidus houses: they seem like a good fit.

However, whole signs, where each house is co-equal with a sign, gives a very different-looking chart. It knocks most of my planets into the next house. My 5th house Aquarius sun moves into the 6th house; while my 4th house Jupiter moves into the 5th house, and so on.

I feel that both systems have merit. It's like they show different facets of my personality and life experience.

LMA, I don't know if you work with house cusp rulers. If not I recommend them. The planet ruling the sign on a given house cusp-- by its own situation, says a lot about the affairs of that house and any planets therein. This includes planets that might be in a different sign in a quadrant house system like Placidus.

Modern astrology identifies the planet ruling the ascendant sign as the chart ruler. There are more complicated formulae in traditional astrology that involve determining essential and accidental dignity. For example, if your sun is in Aries, it's exalted, which is an important essential dignity.

See this, if you're interested. https://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/geniture.html

Osamenor

Staff member
You're still Gemini rising. Nothing changes that. Even progression doesn't nullify your birth ascendant, just adds another layer of development to it. But if you have any planets in Cancer inside your first house, they show up in your first house persona, and being in Cancer, they bring a Cancerian message. So, you could have some of both signs in your first house picture, but Gemini is still the boss of the first house.

Frisiangal

However, whole signs, where each house is co-equal with a sign, gives a very different-looking chart. It knocks most of my planets into the next house. My 5th house Aquarius sun moves into the 6th house; while my 4th house Jupiter moves into the 5th house, and so on.

I feel that both systems have merit. It's like they show different facets of my personality and life experience.

Why early astrologers invented and preferred different methods of house calculation and division has always intrigued me. Do their calculations mean something other than merely Earth's relevance to time and space, and the effect upon individuals?
In a previous house realm topic (that I can no longer find), member Lin made the comment that house systems don't change a person. I believe she was referring to character. After much thought, I have changed my views.:biggrin:

Is it possible for you to provide any kind of explanation how the different facets of personality and life experience, as still seen through a Virgo Ascendant, differ when your 5th house Sun becomes a 6th house Sun? Is it a question of precedence? Life's motivation will be completely different, won't it? The meanings in function of the further planetary symbolism in regards to this change then serve a totally different purpose, don't they?
Wouldn't a Sun 'resonate' more with being affected by one realm of life experience than with the other?
Does/has such a change raise/raised the question of 'What is my life about?', as perceived by Virgo Ascendant? It can't be both, can it?

Do you think that the conscious raising outer planets come into their intent better through one system than another?

Nit-picking again, ever searching for answers. :biggrin:

Zora

Account Closed

Hello LMA,

my whole astrological life long I use placidus house system.

If you have your rising in last degrees of a sign - it is normal that next house cusp falls in the middle of a sign, too.

House cusps are the most personal and individual in a chart - as they are built up by accurate TOB.

And the sign - a house cusp starts with - is the house of the sign ruling planet owning this house as it's ruler. This is the home of the sign ruling planet - where it as a landlord decides the house rules for all planets in -as it's tenants.

Your gemini rising is ruled by mercury and mercury is in aries in a mars ruled 11th house. Your rising quality and personal enforcement is strong firy and in 11th house with uranus corresponding energy - different from other aries - very unconventional - beyond conventional standards - mainly interested in social commitment and to give a personal contribution to society and to play a visible role up there.

Cancer is sign in your 2nd house - the physical body house of existence - how and on what your body reacts on physically - your self-protection, setting boundaries and to defend own territory and own space. Your personal manner to feel yourself safe and secure and how to defend you - if you feel disrespected in your setting boundaries.

Cancer - water element in 2nd house - means instinctively and mainly emotionally influenced reacting and also emotionally influenced body reactions and an emotionally influencable feeling of safety and setting boundaries - often not able to shut your private doors completely.

With moon as ruler of 2nd house in 11th house you are also very sensitive for outer influence in public and society- you kinda take part in in a personal way and can get concerned about.

The only placement you have in cancer - is your chiron in your 1st house. Your inner wound of hesitating to put your own personal wishes on first place and to look after your own aims to come true- first.

Harmelia

Really need to see the whole chart to answer completely. But if you have Gemini rising at 23 degrees, you are a Gemini Rising and Cancer is a co-ASC. I would give the Moon more weight in the chart - along with Mercury. I don't know where your Moon or Mercury are placed, so there's not much more to say without seeing your chart. Sometimes the rising makes more sense when you see how the rest of the chart relates to itl

LovelyMissAries

LMA, I don't know if you work with house cusp rulers. If not I recommend them. The planet ruling the sign on a given house cusp-- by its own situation, says a lot about the affairs of that house and any planets therein. This includes planets that might be in a different sign in a quadrant house system like Placidus.

Modern astrology identifies the planet ruling the ascendant sign as the chart ruler. There are more complicated formulae in traditional astrology that involve determining essential and accidental dignity. For example, if your sun is in Aries, it's exalted, which is an important essential dignity.

See this, if you're interested. https://www.skyscript.co.uk/gl/geniture.html

I came back and reread my post realizing I didn't clarify what made sense! Katydid also helped clarify why, but I meant that I am more emotional and concerned for other's comfort and I'm heavyset which if we were allowing the sign "neighboring" in the first house to have a voice would make perfect sense since Cancers ruler the Moon is in Taurus.

I know about the chart rulers, I just never felt very connected to the description of Gemini.

LovelyMissAries

Hello LMA,

my whole astrological life long I use placidus house system.

If you have your rising in last degrees of a sign - it is normal that next house cusp falls in the middle of a sign, too.

House cusps are the most personal and individual in a chart - as they are built up by accurate TOB.

And the sign - a house cusp starts with - is the house of the sign ruling planet owning this house as it's ruler. This is the home of the sign ruling planet - where it as a landlord decides the house rules for all planets in -as it's tenants.

Your gemini rising is ruled by mercury and mercury is in aries in a mars ruled 11th house. Your rising quality and personal enforcement is strong firy and in 11th house with uranus corresponding energy - different from other aries - very unconventional - beyond conventional standards - mainly interested in social commitment and to give a personal contribution to society and to play a visible role up there.

Cancer is sign in your 2nd house - the physical body house of existence - how and on what your body reacts on physically - your self-protection, setting boundaries and to defend own territory and own space. Your personal manner to feel yourself safe and secure and how to defend you - if you feel disrespected in your setting boundaries.

Cancer - water element in 2nd house - means instinctively and mainly emotionally influenced reacting and also emotionally influenced body reactions and an emotionally influencable feeling of safety and setting boundaries - often not able to shut your private doors completely.

With moon as ruler of 2nd house in 11th house you are also very sensitive for outer influence in public and society- you kinda take part in in a personal way and can get concerned about.

The only placement you have in cancer - is your chiron in your 1st house. Your inner wound of hesitating to put your own personal wishes on first place and to look after your own aims to come true- first.

Ohhhh this also makes so much sense. 2nd house of physicality being ruled by Cancer - duh! *slaps forehead.* I just got frustrated because I really have never connected to Gemini energy. Thanks!

Frisiangal

Moon does represent the automatic reaction to outer situations without forethought. Totally different to Mercury that does think in terms of what the reaction means and forms its verbal response accordingly. Prick a finger and the first word said is 'ow'. Yet Mercury's mental ability can act of its own accord.

Not seeing a chart, and replying from Zora's post re: their positions, it would appear that both Moon and Mercury are in the 11th house. In the same sign, and which leads which?
This could account for why you consider a co-ruler of Ascendant to be more 'effective' than the ruler of Ascendant. Mercury will act in a verbal manner to Moon's feelings, and Aries is not a sign that is said to be laid back. Mental/emotional of nature?

This is a most common occurance. Using other than Whole Signs or Equal House systems, it can even go as as far as taking in an intercepted sign, so there are 3 signs covering the 1st house and the opposite 7th house. How can that be interpretted and explained? A planet in one of them makes it easier, as it is said that a planet in a house takes precedence over the ruler of that house. An 'empty' sign may show 'character, yet cannot do anything on its own in the house it is in. It has need of the function represented by a planet to do something (or not!).

It's an interesting exercise to look at charts of others and see how the Ascending sign relates to their active/physical/mental/feeling constitution.

:smile: