How do We Take All the Transits Into Account

Davi_Alan

Hello Everyone,

My question is basically this - as of very recently, since I've understood how transits work in relation to the natal chart, I've been plotting the movement of the planets in relation to my chart, taking a look at what aspects they have formed, are forming or will form soon in respects to the natal planets, and well, it just seems like there's too many things going on in terms of transit for a life that's, well, not always so exciting. I wanted to know how these things work. I am putting astrology to the test here for a second time in my life. I've first put it to the test when I analysed the personalities of others around in me in relations to their sun sign characteristics. I am keeping a diary of daily events, as I want to try to find some correlation to the transits and the events that happen in my life. So..here are some examples:

While Jupiter was travelling my 12th house during the month of May, I coincidently got involved with two charity activities. But I can't say I really felt all the 12th house energy flowing through me during that time. May was a very good month for me in respects to material things (coincidentally being the month of much of Taurus). I had enough for me, and was feeling good up to the point where I felt I had enough to give to others.

There was a conjunction of transiting Jupiter with my Ascendant on June 12 of this year. That is suppose to mean a boost in optimism and cheerfulness and overall self-confidence in myself and outer personality. And indeed, it seems to me that the energy of transits are not exactly felt "on the spot" on the exact day and time it happens, but actually can be felt a bit before or after. And indeed, I can attest to that. In the last few days of May (around May 25th) I've had already been feeling much better about myself. Being someone who suffers a lot from self-esteem issues, this was a very happy period for me and really felt more confident in myself. On the exact date of this conjunction nothing really out of the ordinary happened except for a dance workshop I attended which was really fun. My self-esteem boost kept going pretty steady up until the beginning of July, when it started to decrease again.

Other transits I can attest to is the Saturn transit that has been going in my 5th house of love affairs since 2010, whilst opposing natal Venus, and has made it pretty sh*tty. It still is. I hope this will clear away once it moves to the 6th house.

But do you guys see where I'm going with this? I mentioned some correlations I've been able to find, but with all these planets forming so many different aspects to my natal planets, it's hard to pin down everything and it just seems like there are not really all that many life events that match with the transiting aspects. How do you all see this question?

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_davi_coelho_17198_6759.jpg
    astro_2gw_01_davi_coelho_17198_6759.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 31

Moog

The Indians generally use transits in conjunction with the dashas, which gives you a much narrower field of activity to focus on.

The active dasha lords transiting a house cusp or making a conjunction or aspect to a natal planet correspond to manifestation of noticeable events.

JUPITERASC

Hello Everyone,
My question is basically this - as of very recently, since I've understood how transits work in relation to the natal chart, I've been plotting the movement of the planets in relation to my chart, taking a look at what aspects they have formed, are forming or will form soon in respects to the natal planets, and well, it just seems like there's too many things going on in terms of transit for a life that's, well, not always so exciting. I wanted to know how these things work. I am keeping a diary of daily events, as I want to try to find some correlation to the transits and the events that happen in my life....

....But do you guys see where I'm going with this? I mentioned some correlations I've been able to find, but with all these planets forming so many different aspects to my natal planets, it's hard to pin down everything and it just seems like there are not really all that many life events that match with the transiting aspects. How do you all see this question?
Hellenistic astrologers take note of the transits of the Lord of the Year – i.e. the ruler of the Ascendant of the yearly profection as well as the ruler of the Hellenistic Solar Return Ascendant.

Monthly and daily profection rulers acting in concert with the ruler of the Ascendant of the yearly profection/solar return are factored with the promise of the natal chart, providing a clear focus on relevant planetary activity :smile:

Culpeper

Premium Member
As you have noticed, transits go on all the time and most have no effect. To make effective use of them, it is necessary to narrow down the possibilities.

I use the ancient system of profections to accomplish this. Modern astrologers have completely lost this method, but it is very easy to do, and it even works with modern astrology. In addition, a computer is not required. All you do is count signs around your natal chart beginning with the raising sign. Count in the order of the houses. In your chart Gemini is 1991, Cancer is 1992 and Leo is 1993. Keep on counting around until you come to the sign of the current year. Your personal year begins with the month of March. February and January are in the previous year.

In counting your chart I find that Pisces is the year 2012. Since Jupiter is the traditional ruler of Pisces, it is the time lord of the year for you. Transiting Jupiter will have by far the greatest effect on your life this year. In addition, there is a time lord of the month. Start counting from Pisces as that will be the month of March and it will bring you to Virgo for the current month of September. Mercury rules Virgo so during September also consider transits of Mercury to your chart.

This method should help you narrow down the confusion of planets. I have used it for years and found it very effective.

JUPITERASC

Alice McDermott

Hi Davi

As you have noticed, transits usually just describe your ordinary life- they activate certain parts of your chart so that part of your life is emphasised during that period.

However, if you are having progressions or solar arcs to a natal planet or angle and these are being triggered by a transiting planet, then it is likely that much bigger events will occur.

In astrology there is an art to reading transits that requires a reasonable level of skill, which is usually taught in the 2nd or 3rd year of studies in a reputable astrology course - this entails using a Graphic Ephemeris, which shows the flow of the planetary transit over a natal planet or angle. The natal and transiting planets are put on a 45 degree graph so you can see when a transiting planet is activating a natal placement with a 8th harmonic resonance. We use the 8th harmonic (conjunction, square, opposition, semisquare and sesiquadrate) because it is the one that triggers events most powerfully.

Attached is a 45 degree Graphic Ephemeris so you can see what it looks like. The natal planets are notated on the right hand side and the straight lines on the graph show their postions; the transiting planets are notated on the left hand side and the curving lines show their positions at any given period. When one of the curving lines goes over the straight line, this describes the transiting planet activating the natal planet and this will often produce an event in your life. Notice that a transiting planet can transit over a natal planet, then move away and come back - often triggering the natal planet multiple times.

The strongest is when two planets go over a natal planet - for example, you can see that in late March 2013 you will have Chiron conjunct your antiVertex and Jupiter square, and, as the antiVertex is in your 10th house, this suggests an event in your career, or with your boss or with a parent - all 10th house areas.

Sometimes a transiting outer planet to a natal position can be triggered by a faster moving planet to the same natal point - you can see this with transiting Uranus sesiquadrate your natal Pluto, quickly followed in late February 2013 with transiting Node conjunct natal Pluto. A professional astrologer would check to see if your natal Pluto was being activated by progressions or directions and if it was this would describe an important, unsettling Plutonian event; in your case it isn't so we know that the events in your life, though a little unsettling (Uranus) during that period, wouldn't be too intense (Pluto).

You are doing what I suggest all beginner astrologers do - checking out transits to see how you are responding to them; I think this is the fastest way to learn how planetary energies work for you in your life. However, be aware that there is much more to it and developing a high level of skill requires further study.

Alice

Attachments

• Davi.jpg
    Davi.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 30

cindystubbs

Jupiter expands and does not necessarily bring good luck. A Jupiter transit of the 3rd can bring lots of small trips, errands and household details to take care of. Not very lucky that.

JUPITERASC

As you have noticed, transits go on all the time and most have no effect. To make effective use of them, it is necessary to narrow down the possibilities
Exactly :smile:
I use the ancient system of profections to accomplish this. Modern astrologers have completely lost this method, but it is very easy to do, and it even works with modern astrology. In addition, a computer is not required. All you do is count signs around your natal chart beginning with the raising sign. Count in the order of the houses. In your chart Gemini is 1991, Cancer is 1992 and Leo is 1993. Keep on counting around until you come to the sign of the current year. Your personal year begins with the month of March. February and January are in the previous year.

In counting your chart I find that Pisces is the year 2012. Since Jupiter is the traditional ruler of Pisces, it is the time lord of the year for you. Transiting Jupiter will have by far the greatest effect on your life this year. In addition, there is a time lord of the month. Start counting from Pisces as that will be the month of March and it will bring you to Virgo for the current month of September. Mercury rules Virgo so during September also consider transits of Mercury to your chart.

This method should help you narrow down the confusion of planets. I have used it for years and found it very effective.

Alice McDermott

There is really no confusion with transits. They activate specific parts of your life and this is shown by the planet, sign and house involved. It is easy enough to see that we all usually have several things going on at the same time in different areas of life and that is shown by the transits.

For example, one can have transiting Jupiter conjunct Venus in the 2nd house, with Venus ruling the 10th house - it would be easy to see that this could bring a good contact that could help financial gain in the career. At the same time one can have transiting Saturn conjunct Mars in the 5th house, suggesting a child may be having a problem, or that a sports venture needs extra care as one can be liable to injury; one is a lovely transit and the other difficult, but each are affecting two quite different areas of the life.

Longer cycles like dashas, fidaria and profections will show which planets are being emphasised during a specific period of time and are therefore likely to respond more strongly to transits, progressions and directions, but this doesn't mean that the other planets become a dead note and can be ignored!

A professional astrologer must take all activation into account to give good and accurate service to her or his clients. Using the graphic ephemeris will show the times that a long term outer planet transit brings events through faster moving planets and lunations activating that point.

Alice

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Get Robert Hand's classic book Planets in Transit and study it well.

btw Rob Hand is a master traditional astrologer and Classics scholar who along with Bob Schmidt and Robert Zoller founded 'Project Hindsight' http://www.projecthindsight.com/ with the aim of translating ancient astrological texts, for example those of working astrologer Vettius Valens, from the original ancient Greek and Latin. Rob Hand's website http://www.arhatmedia.com/

Rob Hand's book 'Planets In Transit' is available in its entirety on astro.com for free to all subscribers to Free Horoscopes!
Choose 'Personal Daily Horoscopes' and by inputting a variety of charts of friends and acquaintances you soon view and familiarize on 'Extended Daily Horoscope' the identical interpretations Rob Hand wrote in a modern astrological 'cookbook'.

The book is useful for beginners to master the basics, however to fully interpret each aspect it is important to note BOTH house AND sign of each of the planets involved :smile:

astro_novice

Always start with planets transits through houses to establish the background events/atmosphere. Then look at individual transits, starting from outer planet transits.

All of the interpretation needs to tie back to natal chart as well for suitability.

ALL transits are combined together as always, but to accurately understand the transits, you need to sort them out in the order of importance and duration.

I personally verified transits by all planets including Chiron & Moon. Even for the quick Moon, or the small body of Chiron, their influences are still there.