What does it mean if your Ascendant and South Node are in the same sign?

banaili

Hi all,

I've been thinking about my Life's Purpose a lot recently, and how to move towards that, especially in this time of pandemic. My North Node is in Aquarius, so I think I'm supposed to be aiming towards philanthropic endeavors - healing the community or world however I can.

I noticed something weird about my chart. Naturally my South Node is in Leo. However, my Ascendant is also Leo. What does that mean for me and my Life's Purpose? I thought that South Nodes are past lives - things we've already learned. And that North Nodes are supposed to be what we should aim towards in this lifetime. With so much Leo going on (it's also the cusp of my 12th and 1st houses), how does that affect my Life Purpose in Aquarius?

(Edit: CHART ADDED! Still I'll list the degrees of the things I mentioned above:
  1. North Node - 9 degrees Aquarius
  2. South Node - 9 degrees Leo
  3. Ascendant - 28 degrees Leo
  4. 12th house cusp - 0 degrees Leo
  5. 1st house cusp - 28 degrees Leo
)

Thank you for your time and help, truly!

Attachments

• banailibirthchart.jpg
    banailibirthchart.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Hi all,

I've been thinking about my Life's Purpose a lot recently, and how to move towards that, especially in this time of pandemic. My North Node is in Aquarius, so I think I'm supposed to be aiming towards philanthropic endeavors - healing the community or world however I can.

I noticed something weird about my chart. Naturally my South Node is in Leo. However, my Ascendant is also Leo. What does that mean for me and my Life's Purpose? I thought that South Nodes are past lives - things we've already learned. And that North Nodes are supposed to be what we should aim towards in this lifetime. With so much Leo going on (it's also the cusp of my 12th and 1st houses), how does that affect my Life Purpose in Aquarius?

(I can create a chart if you think it would help, but for now I'll just list the degrees of the things I mentioned above:
  1. North Node - 9 degrees Aquarius
  2. South Node - 9 degrees Leo
  3. Ascendant - 28 degrees Leo
  4. 12th house cusp - 0 degrees Leo
  5. 1st house cusp - 28 degrees Leo
)

these are instructions
HOW TO ATTACH A CHART
TO YOUR POST ON THE FORUM

https://horoscopes.astro-seek.com/traditional-astrology

MOBILE
1) Once you generate the chart image using your favourite website, copy the image address
2) Upload the image to Imgur using the following URL:

https://imgur.com/upload
3) Once the chart is uploaded to Imgur, click on 'Copy' or 'Embed Post'
4) Paste the Imgur image location to forum post

Quote:
DESKTOP
1) Once you generate the chart image using your favourite website, copy the image address
2) Click on the Attachment icon (if you don't see it, select 'Advanced' posting first)
3) New window will open, paste the image address, click Upload button, close the window

if that is for some reason not possible
then
another option is, after creating the natal chart
then save the chart to your desktop
then when on the thread click to edit your post
then scroll down to the Attach Files box
then click on Manage Attachments
and follow the instructions on the screen to upload your chart that way :smile:

JUPITERASC

Thanks for the chart tips, JUPITERASC! I just added one to my original post!
The added natal chart has a late Leo ascendant
and the Node is a much earlier degree :smile:
so south node is not on ascendant
also
keep in mind that if birth occurred LESS THAN TEN MINUTES LATER
than the time given
then ascendant is Virgo

JUPITERASC

Hi all,
I've been thinking about my Life's Purpose a lot recently
and how to move towards that
how does that affect my Life Purpose in Aquarius?
(Edit: CHART ADDED!)
"....The Elemental Quality of the Sign of the Ascendant
indicates the type of Primary Motivation of the native...." :smile:
quote by Zoller:
" ......We may understand what the native wants.
All other wants and desires are negotiable
but not the Primary Motivation.
If you interfere with another person's ability to realize their Primary Motivation
they are gone......"

The type of Delineation I'm giving here is a mix of medieval techniques with those of the Hellenistic authors.
Robert Zoller played great role in my traditional astrology education and this is obvious for those who are familiar with his work.
I need to mention that even though Zoller was initially very fond on Arabia authors, his basic delineation techniques are taken from the early reneissance French astrologer Morin. Zoller studied with Zoltan Mason who introduced Morin and his basic natal delineation to Zoller. Zoltan was also one of the first translators of Morin.

Here are some tips for delineating the chart in this manner.

1. The good or bad signified by a house emanates from the ruler of the house.
This is the basic rule. The ruler of the house is giver of the material of the house.

Zoller gives the example of his own chart where he has Combusted Mercury in 11th, ruler of 4th. He comments that this kind of placement brings adversity to ones home and dwellings.

2. Benefit in one area of life can be produced by adversity, or even conflict, in another.

Again Zoller gives example from his own chart.
Jupiter in 9th in Scorpio disposited from Mars in 11th: Wisdom coming from conflicts.

3. The delineation tells you the what. The
predictive techniques tell you the when.

4. The Elemental Quality of the Sign of the Ascendant is showing the type of Primary Motivation of the native.
Fire goes for freedom of action and power.
Air goes for freedom of expression and movement.
The Water signs need emotional security
Earth signs need physical security.

The person with masculine Ascendant (or majority of planets in masculine signs) speaks in active terms: "I did this to that person".
The person with feminine sign on Ascendant or majority planets in feminine signs, speaks in passive terms: "This happened to me".

The Feminine signs seek advice because they need second hand in their decisions, in fact they want someone else to make the decision for them.
Masculine signs seek advice because they have many options so they are not sure which option is better.

Cardinal signs are most active. Cardinal water and earth (Cancer and Capricorn) are working great amount of actions but in circumstances and environment structured already by someone else.
Libra and Aries (Cardinal masculine) are working great in any kind of circumstances.

Fixed signs are centripetal, they need center. They are very successful in Acquisations.
Taurus hoards money.
Leo hoards glory and honor.
Scorpio hoards the hidden things, hidden motivations of other people, seek energy and vitality.
Aquarius hoards Knowledge.

Mutable signs vacillate between the two: cardinal and fixed.

5. Examine the planets which most closely aspects the Ascendant. These planets add to the whole Primary Motivation thing.

Planets aspecting the Ascendant represent powers the native can use in the world.

The aspecting planet's local determination will be added to the Primary
Motivation.
(Venus in 5th will add love for pleasure and entertainment to the native's Primary Motivation).

The aspect between the aspecting planet and the Ascendant tells you how the being of the planet and its local determination are linked.

6. The Ruler of the Ascendant by its house position tells you where (what area of life) the native will seek to realize his/her Primary Motivation.

Look also at all 5 dignity rulers in the place of the ASC. The Almuten and Exalted ruler are lamost as significant as the domicile ruler (sometimes even more).

The Ruler of the Ascendant (as well as the other rulers) by its nature and zodiacal state shows the methods the native will use and the success or failure of the drive.

This is great quote by Zoller:

Quote:
" ......We may understand what the native wants.
All other wants and desires are negotiable, but not the Primary Motivation.
If you interfere with another person's ability to realize their Primary Motivation
they are gone......"

Lets assume that a person has Cancer on the Ascendant,
The primary motivation of this person is the Need for Emotional Security.
The ruler/s of the Ascendant and their zodiacal and local state will determine How would this be achieved.

Lets assume Moon on IC in Libra Peregrine.
Jupiter in 6th (but 7th sign!) in Capricorn.
Venus in Sag in 6th - Peregrine.
Mars in Scorpio in 4th (but 5th sign!)
Saturn (term ruler) is in 5th Scorpio Peregrine.

We can see that Moon is strong by accident (being on angle), so we can judge first from there.
The need for Emotional Security this person would seek in the home, in the place of the father. The father would be the means through which this person would try to achieve the Emotional Security.
Jupiter - the exalted ruler is weak by being cadent, Venus too. They can't produce much in giving the emotional security this person seeks.
Jupiter by universal means suggest that the native would seek wisdom, religion (and the person actually did!) but by being cadent and in fall, it can't productively give what it promise.
Mars is in 4/5th and is strong by zodiacal state, but is out of sect malefic.
It would try to win competitions, but also with Saturn in 5th will give great deal of creativity. Mars rules the 10th - creativity and looking for career, would also give some amount of emotional security for this person. But by being square with Sun in 7th it means that it will have opposition from authorities and other people in general.

The primary motivation is great deal of what we unconsciously and often consciously seek for. Once that motivation is broken or someone interrupt it, we seek to fix that in the every possible way we can do that.

I will continue with the tips in my next post.

banaili

The added natal chart has a late Leo ascendant
and the Node is a much earlier degree :smile:
so south node is not on ascendant
also
keep in mind that if birth occurred LESS THAN TEN MINUTES LATER
than the time given
then ascendant is Virgo

Thank you for taking a look at the chart. I didn't mean that the ascendant and south node are conjunct. I just mean that they are in the same sign. And because I thought my life purpose this lifetime is to become like Aquarius, I'm not sure how that works when my Ascendant is still Leo, if that makes sense.

Regarding ascendant...My birth time is exact, so my ascendant is 28 Leo. I do sometimes feel like I am more like a Virgo than Leo, but I wonder if that is because of my Virgo moon.

Thank you also for your other post! Admittedly, I couldn't understand it so I'm still not quite sure what effect if any there is to have an ascendant that is in the opposite sign of the north node... :confused:

JUPITERASC

Thank you for taking a look at the chart. I didn't mean that the ascendant and south node are conjunct. I just mean that they are in the same sign. And because I thought my life purpose this lifetime is to become like Aquarius, I'm not sure how that works when my Ascendant is still Leo, if that makes sense.

Regarding ascendant...My birth time is exact, so my ascendant is 28 Leo. I do sometimes feel like I am more like a Virgo than Leo, but I wonder if that is because of my Virgo moon.

Thank you also for your other post! Admittedly, I couldn't understand it so I'm still not quite sure what effect if any there is to have an ascendant that is in the opposite sign of the north node... :confused:
can take awhile to process that information :smile:
there's plenty of it, so take your time to read and re-read

banaili

can take awhile to process that information :smile:
there's plenty of it, so take your time to read and re-read

But there's no mention of the Nodes (north and south) in the information, so I really can't see/understand the connection...???

(There are also a lot of terms I don't understand...)

JUPITERASC

But there's no mention of the Nodes (north and south) in the information,
so I really can't see/understand the connection...???
(There are also a lot of terms I don't understand...)
If you say which terms are causing difficulty for you :smile:
then an explanation can be provided
however
most - if not all - are easily found using any search engine

ElenaJ

"what effect if any there is to have an ascendant that is in the opposite sign of the north node... "

This is a roundabout way of saying simply that the south node is in the same sign as your ascendent. Or, if you prefer, the north node is in the same sign as your descendent.

"South Nodes are past lives - things we've already learned. And that North Nodes are supposed to be what we should aim towards in this lifetime"

You have this right. But you have to apply it.
Your nodes fall in your 12th and 6th houses.
North node, your lifetime goal, is therefore tied to 6th house matters. Think what they are.

Your comfort zone, where you fall back on because it is familiar, is your south node, and in 12th house matters, and in this case in Leo having to do with you. And, just by coincidence, you are asking about you, having a time of it digging into subconscious goings on.

Leave the 12th and move into the 6th and evaluate that more closely.

By the way, there are many charts with a similar situation of shared signs, there is nothing weird, or unique, about your placement. I think it might have been influential if the nodes were on the ascendent/descendent, but they are not.

Why did you insert the transits on the chart? Are these relevant?

Just a suggestion, when you do a chart, even when you are not asking about south node, always enter it in. If it isn't entered it will easily escape your attention.

Enjoy.

banaili

"what effect if any there is to have an ascendant that is in the opposite sign of the north node... "

This is a roundabout way of saying simply that the south node is in the same sign as your ascendent. Or, if you prefer, the north node is in the same sign as your descendent.

"South Nodes are past lives - things we've already learned. And that North Nodes are supposed to be what we should aim towards in this lifetime"

You have this right. But you have to apply it.
Your nodes fall in your 12th and 6th houses.
North node, your lifetime goal, is therefore tied to 6th house matters. Think what they are.

Your comfort zone, where you fall back on because it is familiar, is your south node, and in 12th house matters, and in this case in Leo having to do with you. And, just by coincidence, you are asking about you, having a time of it digging into subconscious goings on.

Leave the 12th and move into the 6th and evaluate that more closely.

Thank you very much for your reply. Well I did say in the original post that I wondered what it means if the ascendant and south node are in the same sign. That was actually a reply in the comment you quoted, so it might have been less clear.

But yeah, I was really wondering what that means and if there is any relevance. I'm in the middle of a time of personal turbulence (though I know that's true worldwide with the pandemic :( ), but in order to move forward, I think I need to figure out which way I'm supposed to be headed, and in what manner. It's just been confusing because I thought Ascendant is part of who we are, and while I'm aware that I'm at the end of Leo with 28 degrees, it's still in Leo, the same sign as my South Node, so I don't know if that means I should still be trying to maintain some Leo aspects of my self. Does that make sense?

And so you mean that I'm familiar with 12th house things and need to be looking towards "6th house" things for Life Purpose? Such as 6th house combined with Aquarius matters? And sort of disregard the Leo parts?

By the way, there are many charts with a similar situation of shared signs, there is nothing weird, or unique, about your placement. I think it might have been influential if the nodes were on the ascendent/descendent, but they are not.

No, of course not. I don't think my chart or placement is special. I only asked about it here because I've been genuinely confused reflecting on it, what that means for moving towards a Life Purpose when the Ascendant seems to be opposite that. Does that make sense? I have no doubt at all that there are others who likely have similar or even identical placements, or more meaningful ones conjunct the Nodes. But I couldn't find anything about what it means doing a Google search, so I just wanted to ask here.

Why did you insert the transits on the chart? Are these relevant?

Sorry, I was looking at the personal astrology page on Astro.com and saw that the transit chart seemed to have more detailed information of the birth chart. I thought the lines for the houses and degrees seemed clearer...

Just a suggestion, when you do a chart, even when you are not asking about south node, always enter it in. If it isn't entered it will easily escape your attention.

Enjoy.

Got it - Thanks for your time and explanation.

Just editing to add: I wasn't sure about putting this thread in "Read My Chart." I actually just wanted to ask it as a general question (about ascendant and south node in the same sign), but I wasn't sure where that would go. Hope that clarifies things!

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Have you spent any significant amount of time isolated in some sense (not including the current pandemic-related isolation)? Or in the spotlight?

South node indicators tend to have some resonance with early life experiences--early life being youth, however long you extend your definition of youth. South node in the twelfth house could indicate isolation, or exile, or being a foreigner or outsider. In the same sign as your ascendant, there's an added sense that you're carrying a burden of being you. Perhaps as a public figure of some kind, or maybe just as someone who's very well known in your community (could even play out as being the popular one at school), or who's heavily relied on by your family. South node ruler, Sun, in the tenth house brings being in the spotlight into the picture, as does the Leo placement of the south node.

This is specific to your chart. Ascendant and south node in the same sign could tell a very different story for another person with those placements, because the rest of their chart could be very different from yours.

ElenaJ

South Node and Rising sign both in Capricorn what does that mean?
It means you have North Node and descendent in cancer.
This represents your lifetime goal.
Cancer and what it symbolises.
See if your NN falls in the 7th. house or in the 6th house, to identify the areas that need developing.