Should we be looking at the eclipse?

indiaknoles

I live in Arizona and the partial eclipse will be visible. My boyfriend and I want to get the glasses or whatever and look at it like good old fashioned Americans, and I was honestly quite excited to do so. But today I was reading about how both the Navajo nation and in the Vedic tradition they do not watch eclipses whether solar or lunar, and in fact don't eat or drink the whole day and stay inside and pray or meditate. If you do not do this they say you will get mental and or physical health problems.
I'm torn between looking or staying in and meditating. I am not a religious person at all but I obviously believe in the powers of the sun and moon.
Will you be watching? I'd love to have your opinion.

JUPITERASC

I live in Arizona and the partial eclipse will be visible. My boyfriend and I want to get the glasses or whatever and look at it like good old fashioned Americans, and I was honestly quite excited to do so. But today I was reading about how both the Navajo nation and in the Vedic tradition they do not watch eclipses whether solar or lunar, and in fact don't eat or drink the whole day and stay inside and pray or meditate. If you do not do this they say you will get mental and or physical health problems.
I'm torn between looking or staying in and meditating. I am not a religious person at all but I obviously believe in the powers of the sun and moon.
Check the weather forecast - you may be on the eclipse path
but if weather is cloudy then the eclipse is hidden by clouds
:smile:

ashriia

If you want to look at the solar eclipse, just do it. Its great to learn about different beliefs, but you don't have to practice or adopt them yourself if they don't resonate with you.

CapAquaPis

In the past throughout world history, solar eclipses scared us, we fear them and didn't understood completely why this natural phenomena occurs. Not everyone though hated or loathed them, some say this is the beauty of nature and the will of God performed them. I hafta say Native Americans (in Arizona at least I know of) developed ways to cope with unusual events rather as holy days.

Ironically, humanity is around to see total solar eclipses because the moon is moving away from earth an inch a year, so in a million years from now, the moon will be further and looks smaller, so it will not totally eclipse the sun-expected to get larger over the course of a billion years - it will burn up our earth - until the stage it either explodes or shrinks to a tiny dwarf star. A million or a billion years ago, the moon was closer to us and the sun was smaller.