Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 08-04-2020, 07:55 AM

Re: Why Do the Larger Population Areas Tend to Vote for the Democratic Candidates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
As far as Presidential elections go, there's been a clear pattern of more Democratic voting in the more densely populated areas, and more Republican voting in the less densely populated regions.

So, why is that, in your opinion?
Again, it depends on the particular city or area. You are otherwise generalizing. Can you show the graph with the clear pattern showing democrats win the vote share in large urban cities in comparison with less-densely populated areas?

Also - aren't presidential votes accounted by County, rather than by town/city?

https://antiqueastrology.wordpress.com/

You'll also find some tips for horary practice!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirius For This Useful Post:
blackbery (08-04-2020)
Unread 08-04-2020, 08:25 AM

Re: Why Do the Larger Population Areas Tend to Vote for the Democratic Candidates?

I'm asking because Trump carried some of the largest population counties in the 2016 election.

- He won Tulsa County - in Oklahoma (most densely populated county in the state).
- He won Oklahoma County - in Oklahoma (second most densely populated county in the state).
- He won Pinellas County - In Florida (most densely populated county in the state).

etc.

In the case of Tulsa, Pinellas and Oklahoma counties, the former two are the most densely populated counties in their state, while the latter is the second most densely populated county in OK. For example (in Pinellas):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinell...da#2000_Census

"As of 2000, there were 921,482 people, 414,968 households, and 243,171 families residing in the county. The population density was 1,271/km2 (3,292/sq mi), making it the most densely populated county in Florida."

So please show me the data on densely population centers going democrat. I'm not saying you are wrong - in fact you may be correct, but we can't generalize, and we need the data.

Last edited by Dirius; 08-04-2020 at 08:32 AM.
blackbery (08-04-2020)
Unread 08-04-2020, 08:26 AM

Smile Re: Why Do the Larger Population Areas Tend to Vote for the Democratic Candidates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirius View Post
Again, it depends on the particular city or area. You are otherwise generalizing. Can you show the graph with the clear pattern showing democrats win the vote share in large urban cities in comparison with less-densely populated areas?

Also - aren't presidential votes accounted by County, rather than by town/city?
Haven't found that particular graph, but L.A. County, which is dominated by the City of Los Angeles, voted for the Democratic candidate in all of the State-wide Elections that went to a Republican.

Some counties are more rural, with no large population centers, and tend to vote Republican.
Unread 08-04-2020, 08:33 AM

I'll quote myself because you might have missed it (we were both replying at the same time):

I'm asking because Trump carried some of the largest population counties in the 2016 election.

- He won Tulsa County - in Oklahoma (most densely populated county in the state).
- He won Oklahoma County - in Oklahoma (second most densely populated county in the state).
- He won Pinellas County - In Florida (most densely populated county in the state).

etc.

In the case of Tulsa, Pinellas and Oklahoma counties, the former two are the most densely populated counties in their state, while the latter is the second most densely populated county in OK. For example (in Pinellas):

"As of 2000, there were 921,482 people, 414,968 households, and 243,171 families residing in the county. The population density was 1,271/km2 (3,292/sq mi), making it the most densely populated county in Florida."

So please show me the data on densely population centers going democrat. I'm not saying you are wrong - in fact you may be correct, but we can't generalize, and we need the data.

blackbery (08-04-2020)
Unread 08-04-2020, 09:02 AM

Smile Re: Why Do the Larger Population Areas Tend to Vote for the Democratic Candidates?

Quote:
I'll quote myself because you might have missed it (we were both replying at the same time):

etc.

L.A. has more than 4 times the population of Jacksonville. Which, by the way voted only slightly more for Trump than for HRC by county (Duval).
Unread 08-04-2020, 09:52 AM

Here are the listings for the most populous counties in Florida:

Miami-Dade, 2,600,860
HRC 63.7%/Trump 34.1%

Broward, 1,815,270
HRC 66.5%/Trump 31.4%

Palm Beach, 1,359,075
HRC 56.5%/Trump 41.2%

Hillsborough, 1,279,670
HRC 51.5%/Trump 44.7%

Orange, 1,200,240
HRC 60.4%/Trump 35.7%

----------------------------------over 1 million people ^

Pinellas, 925,000
Trump 48.6%/HRC 47.5%

Duval, 880,750
Trump 49%/HRC 47.5%

Nearly all the rest of the counties went to Trump, with the populations steadily decreasing.

Last edited by david starling; 08-04-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Unread 08-04-2020, 10:34 AM

You see why you need to set-up the variables properly david?

Your original question said "densely populated". Pinellas and Broward are the two most densely populated counties in florida. Population number isn't the same.

Quote:
... there's been a clear pattern of more Democratic voting in the more densely populated areas, and more Republican voting in the less densely populated regions.
Quote:
which reflects population density, is listed as about ...
with more Red in the less densely populated areas, and more Blue in the more densely populated areas.

Last edited by Dirius; 08-04-2020 at 10:44 AM.
blackbery (08-04-2020)
Unread 08-04-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
You see why you need to set-up the variables properly david?

Your original question said "densely populated". Pinellas and Broward are the two most densely populated counties in florida. Population number isn't the same.
Well, the thread title doesn't mention density, just larger population.
Unread 08-04-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Well, the thread title doesn't mention density, just larger population.
The areas I mentioned do have a very large population.

Pinellas County has a population of almost 1 million people. In comparison with the least populous county in Florida (Liberty County), it is over one hundred times more populous.

Also this last question wasn't the main issue of the topic, it was on presidential elections.

Last edited by Dirius; 08-04-2020 at 10:54 AM.
blackbery (08-04-2020)
Unread 08-04-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
The areas I mentioned do have a very large population.

Pinellas County has a population of almost 1 million people. In comparison with the least populous county in Florida (Liberty County), it is over one hundred times more populous.

Also this last question wasn't the main issue of the topic, it was on presidential elections.
Yes, but both Duval and Pinellas have under a million people, and in both counties the Election was close, less than 2% points difference. Then, as population decreases, the Republican advantage increases in most cases.

Presidential elections weren't specified, but neither were they excluded.
Were you hoping for a different result?
Unread 08-04-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, but both Duval and Pinellas have under a million people, and in both counties the Election was close, less than 2% points difference. Then, as population decreases, the Republican advantage increases in most cases.

Presidential elections weren't specified, but neither were they excluded.
Were you hoping for a different result?
Yep, but Pinellas is still the most densely populated area, as per your question.

And unfortunately presidential votes are counted by county, not city.

Last edited by Dirius; 08-04-2020 at 11:31 AM.
blackbery (08-04-2020)
Unread 08-04-2020, 11:38 AM

Time for me to ask one question:

... why do democrat-run large metropolitan cities have the highest murder/manslaughter rates per population number?

This includes the top 10:

St.Louis
Baltimore
Detroit
New Orleans
Batoun Rouge

etc.

Some of these are also high in the list in other forms of crime such as robbery, assault, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_crime_rate

Last edited by Dirius; 08-04-2020 at 11:59 AM.
blackbery (08-04-2020)
Unread 08-04-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:

... why do democrat-run large metropolitan cities have the highest murder/manslaughter rates per population number?

St.Louis
Baltimore
Detroit
New Orleans
Batoun Rouge

etc.

Some of these are also high in the list in other forms of crime such as robbery, assault, etc.
The "War on Drugs". It creates gang warfare. I'd say the non-Libertarian Democrats and Republicans are the cause.
Unread 08-04-2020, 03:24 PM

Unfortunately, NY is heading that way again. Republicans Guiliani/Bloomberg were tough on crime, more arrests, more police on the streets.
They turned New York into one of of the safest big cities in the country.

Republicans value LAW & ORDER.

It's a tough stance that the Democrats won't adopt even if it means less crime and safer cities. They won't even admit the violence of the on-going riots, still calling them peaceful protests. They will not crack down on violence in the cities, in the riots or anywhere anymore. Some Democrat-run cities are more dangerous than war zones and getting worse each year.

If only the Republicans could have a chance at trying to reign in the violence by becoming Mayor of these violent cities. We know it worked in NY.

Liberal Cities, Radical Mayhem
Democratic mayors and governors seem unable to stop the destruction of their own cities.

America’s 25 Worst Cities are Democrat-Led – The Answer, New Leaders

The top-ten American cities for homelessness are sanctuary cities, which offer refuge to illegal immigrants, do not cooperate with federal law enforcement, and raise the price of low-rent housing for their citizens. In this group are Los Angeles (55,000 homeless), Seattle (12,000), San Diego (9,000), San Jose (7,000), San Francisco (6,000), and Las Vegas (6,000).

the top-25 “most dangerous” are Democrat-led, and among the poorest and least employed, with weak infrastructure, tax base and incentives for private investment.

This should not be a political issue for citizens should all feel safe in their cities but Democrats continue to use 'race-baiting' and other wedge issues to hold onto their support from the minorities which are a large percentage of the population in large, urban cities and keep the Democrats in power decade after decade even as the cities become filthy, dangerous places.

The cities need our help, not our political agendas. Your postings Dirius (thank you for those btw and the graphs)
prove what we already know. The Democrats won't even acknowledge there is a problem in their cities. How can anything improve if they live in denial and blame everything on racism and the Republicans? First step in recovery is recognition of the problem.

Quote:

St.Louis
Baltimore
Detroit
New Orleans
Batoun Rouge

etc.

Last edited by blackbery; 08-04-2020 at 03:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackbery For This Useful Post:
Dirius (08-05-2020)
Unread 08-04-2020, 11:13 PM

The only answer non-Libertarian type Conservative Republicans have to the "War on Drugs" violence--which includes high rates of rape, assault, prostitution, robberies and burglary along with the deadly drive-by shootings--is a police-state dictatorship, which is forbidden by the Constitution. So, the Liberal Democrats are left to doing the best they can, in an impossible situation.

Last edited by david starling; 08-04-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Unread 08-04-2020, 11:38 PM

I had hopes the Trump administration would de-escalate the Federal "War on Drugs", since Trump once said that he was in favor of legalization as the only possible solution to the drug wars, and he did release cocaine dealers from Federal prisons. But, no such luck. Even marijuana use and possession is still a felony under Federal law.
Unread 08-05-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:

St.Louis
Baltimore
Detroit
New Orleans
Batoun Rouge

etc.

So why don't the good citizens of these cities vote Republican, presumably thereby stopping murders in their tracks?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 08-05-2020, 02:44 AM

One thing to check out with counties, as well, as how many voters (not residents, voters) are actually suburban. Have a look. https://www.tulsacounty.org/Tulsacounty/default.aspx

But it's nice to see you looking up data, Dirius.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 08-05-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
So why don't the good citizens of these cities vote Republican, presumably thereby stopping murders in their tracks?

You didn't answer my question, if democrats are better at running cities, why do democrats have such a hard time handling these issues?

Unread 08-05-2020, 02:47 AM

The US Democratic party are historically focused on underprivileged groups in society, historically they were based in the Southeastern USA until the 1930s-60s when the party began to focus first on Jewish and Catholic voters and then African-American and Latino voters. The party's agenda is to increase social and political equality of all groups of people who don't have lots of money, power or privilege. I'm aware the GOP under Abraham Lincoln during the civil war was an abolitionist party, but the problem was their conservatism and their willingness to turn against the concept of social and political equality has brought in many white, rural and traditional voters, esp. in the Southern states to be Republican majority in the past half century after the Civil Rights Movement ended (1970).
Unread 08-05-2020, 02:53 AM

Quote:
One thing to check out with counties, as well, as how many voters (not residents, voters) are actually suburban. Have a look. https://www.tulsacounty.org/Tulsacounty/default.aspx

But it's nice to see you looking up data, Dirius.
I have maternal relatives in Tulsa OK who briefly lived in southern CA, my aunt has morphed into a Trump supporter and said some racially charged comments about blacks, immigrants (i.e. Mexican, Arab and Chinese), and even her own Native Americans since my grandpa is originally from Osage county, he came to CA as a child in the 1930s to Kern county and then in WW2, he moved to L.A. where he met my grandma, married and had my Mom, he moved "back" to his home state half a century ago and my aunt became a conservative Republican, but my grandpa was a strong Democrat, an admirer of FDR and Harry Truman when he was a Marine in the Pacific theater of WW2 and later the Korean war.

Tulsa has to be the most reddest place in America, unless the Mormon majority Provo UT and "Nixon-Reagan-Bush country" Orange county CA (I doubt this if they are a coastal location) are more conservative and majority Republican. The reason why Donald Trump held his disastrous rally in Tulsa after 3 months of suspending all rallies during the pandemic, he knew the center of the Bible belt is a hotbed of his kind of following. My aunt is not an Evangelical-Protestant-Christian anymore, she opposes televangelists and religious fundamentalism, what made her a Trump supporter has a lot to do with race relations and her reaction against rising multicultural diversity in the city and county she lives in.
Unread 08-05-2020, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapAquaPis View Post
The party's agenda is to increase social and political equality of all groups of people who don't have lots of money, power or privilege.
If this is true, how is it that democrat politicians and donors are mega rich, while the average democrat voter is middle-class/poor.

This "social equality" agenda has existed (at least) since the 1960, perhaps more - 6 decades from where we are now.

Yet people like Nancy Pelosi are mega rich, while her voter's and district are extremely poor.

Is it possible this "social conscience" is a facade to rip off the public?

Why do senators earn $250.000 per year (+benefits and free stuff) on taxpayer money - while the average democrat voter earns about 15 times less (or much more less) than that?

Last edited by Dirius; 08-05-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Unread 08-05-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
You didn't answer my question, if democrats are better at running cities, why do democrats have such a hard time handling these issues?
Where did I say that "[D]emocrats are better at running cities?

That was David's point, not mine.

The salient question is, why do a majority of urban voters typically vote Democratic?

Or put differently, why haven't Republicans convinced more urban voters to elect them?

C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Unread 08-05-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Where did I say that "[D]emocrats are better at running cities?

That was David's point, not mine.

The salient question is, why do a majority of urban voters typically vote Democratic?

Or put differently, why haven't Republicans convinced more urban voters to elect them?
Because Democrats are better at running large cities, and the voters know it.
Unread 08-05-2020, 05:19 AM

Looks like no one else wants to identify the real source of the problem. Is the DEA watching us?