Firdaria

!4C

I see the value in observing the planetary periods for a big picture of life phases, but the sub-planetary periods don't look that useful when compared to transits, progressions, directions, ect.

wintersprite1

Premium Member
A reminder to all. This is the Traditional Forum and replies and postings are to be respectful of traditional Astrology. Please feel free to post modern techniques elsewhere on the forum. No where in the forum is the attempt to discredit one form over the other one allowed.

Off topic posts and those of who is the better astrologer have and will continue to be deleted.

TK

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

“Time-lord systems, break up a person’s life into specific sections or chapters that are each ruled by one of the seven traditional planets :smile:

Nature of planet and its condition in a natal chart determines how well the period will go for the native when that planet becomes activated at various points in life. 9th century Muslim astrologer Abu Ma’shar appears to be the principal source for Firdaria, outlining this time-lord system in 'On Solar Revolutions' - Seven stars, and the Ascending and Descending Nodes, have certain determinate times: each star administers to the native in accordance with its proper firdar....”

“...The firdar of the Sun is 10 years
Aphrodite, 8
Hermes, 13
the Moon, 9
Kronos, 11
Zeus 12
Ares, 7
of the Ascending Node, 3
of the Descending Node 2
– altogether, they are 75.

In the case of a diurnal nativity the Sun takes the governorship of the first firdar, whether it should be present, then Aphrodite, then Hermes, then the Moon, then Kronos, in accordance with the order of their zones.

In the case of nocturnal nativities, the Moon takes the first firdar, then Kronos, then Zeus, then Ares, in accordance with the prior order....” source: Abu Ma’shar, On Solar Revolutions, part 2, trans. Robert Schmidt, The Phaser Foundation, Cumberland, MD, 1999, pg. 42.

“.....Firdaria commence with Sun or Moon depending on whether it's a day or night chart,

then each planet is assigned a number of years.

Ancient traditions of astrology employed time-lord systems first in any delineation because they provide information about broad spans of time, when specific planets will be activated during exact periods in the life, for better or worse. Transits are then used as the very last line in predictive work to act as triggers, or as more precise timing indicators.

This differs considerably from modern prediction approaches which employ transits as the initial and primary means of forecasting....”

Firdaria: A Medieval Time Lord System
article by Chris Brennan
http://horoscopicastrologyblog.com/2007/10/16/firdaria-a-medieval-time-lord-system/

The Firdar
by Steven Birchfield A.M.A.
http://www.astrologiamedieval.com/firdaria.htm

byjove

Account Closed
I see the value in observing the planetary periods for a big picture of life phases, but the sub-planetary periods don't look that useful when compared to transits, progressions, directions, ect.

Hmm I'd say give it a shot...my happiest times of my life where when the Sun and Jupiter were sub-rulers, which just happen to be the best-placed planets in my natal chart. I had a terrible delay in studying abroad for college one year...I notice now that Saturn ruled that year. The next year I received financial assistance 'out of the blue' which enabled me to travel - Jupiter was the sub-ruler, including all the time abroad. If I have an OK grasp on interpreting it, I think it matches my life well. There were sudden changes which progressions and transits never showed and I never forgot that.

!4C

...my happiest times of my life where when the Sun and Jupiter were sub-rulers, which just happen to be the best-placed planets in my natal chart.
The most fortunate period for me (materialistically) was during the Jupiter/Sun period. Jupiter is on my MC and sun is in the 5th house. I got a windfall in cash. I was sent on job assignment far away from my manager and the work was actually fun. The place had a lot of new and interesting things to do. Strangers walked up to me and started talking to me like they have known me all their lives. However, the adventure was only a vacation from my ongoing concern that my life is headed in thew wrong direction. Furthermore, this fortunate period was only about 1/4 of the entire jupiter/sun period. The other 3/4 was misery.

!4C

Ancient traditions of astrology employed time-lord systems first in any delineation because they provide information about broad spans of time, when specific planets will be activated during exact periods in the life, for better or worse. Transits are then used as the very last line in predictive work to act as triggers, or as more precise timing indicators.
It appears the firdaria is based on the synodic cycles between transiting planets and their natal position (ie transiting mars to natal mars). These occur roughly the same time in life for everyone. However, it doesn't consider cycles between different planets, which people are born into at different times. Therefore, firdaria is a simplified way to describe a subset of transits occurring in one's life. A more comprehensive transit analysis is necessary to determine if the potential of firdaria will be fulfilled or trumped by more significant transit cycles.

princess valhalla

Well thanks for that Princess V, but I'm sure/hope you see that there are other members here who practice traditional astrology too? Um, like Omnisphericus who started this thread...:surprised: The traditional forum here has quite a bit of information already, and one thing I have found is that if you post a question there about a method, or a term you don't understand, plenty of people here are willing to help you with it. :happy:

I meant that I have interacted with on this forum.

JUPITERASC

It appears the firdaria is based on the synodic cycles between transiting planets and their natal position (ie transiting mars to natal mars). These occur roughly the same time in life for everyone. However, it doesn't consider cycles between different planets, which people are born into at different times. Therefore, firdaria is a simplified way to describe a subset of transits occurring in one's life. A more comprehensive transit analysis is necessary to determine if the potential of firdaria will be fulfilled or trumped by more significant transit cycles.
Remember that Firdaria are Medieval and not considered solely in isolation but in tandem with other Medieval techniques as illustrated by Omnisphericus :smile:

Prior to Medieval times, Ancient Hellenistic astrologers used SEVERAL Time Lord Systems that included for example, Zodiacal Releasing

!4C

Are relocation charts ever used for interpretation in the firdaria method? My guess is no, but I thought I would ask.

dr. farr

I am not aware of such connections however they certainly COULD be used; same with the Vedic dasha and bukti periods/sub-periods, which are so close to the Fridaria concept (although the calculating methodology is quite different)-any of these ancient methods COULD be applied to the more "modern" field of relocation charts, much as I have applied many of the oldtime techniques in my own eclectic approach (which includes much taken from Modernist astrology, and Vedic astrology, in addition to Traditionalist and Hellenistic astrology)

!4C

I looked a senator mccain's chart as test. Unfortunately, his chart his barely a day chart and could be contestable. His sun is less than a degree above his descendant. Assuming he is a day chart, he just entered his sun period when taken captive in hanoi. He was held there for approximately 5.5 years. If you use his relocated chart for hanoi, his sun is in the 12th house of imprisonment. That seems promising to me.

theV

I am one of the people who approve the firdaria method. I found it valid and true, I have applied on my life and noticed that period mention in fidaria describes well what I was going through .