A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

petosiris

Banned
We will have to agree to disagree! Part of being human.

Ref:
I try to as best I can. Only higher forces will determine in the end if I met the goal.

Of course you don't. And Jesus does not want us to be naive, dumb or wasting time and resources in pursuing the impossible. His yoke is easy, and his burden is light. I hope you will understand his teaching.

CapAquaPis

I know some racial stereotypes of Hispanic/Latinx/Mexican-Americans. They are viewed as brown or indigenous despite European Spanish ancestry with some Moorish-Arab genes mixed in, unable to speak English or have a heavy accent, humongous close-knit families under a strong "machismo" male head of household, and highly religious Roman Catholic, note America has a history of anti-Catholicism by some Protestants who thought the Vatican "isn't Christian".

On pop culture like TV shows and movies for a long time, Mexicans are portrayed to be "illegal aliens" demographically taking over the Southwest US, in third world poverty, in farm labor jobs and in "cholo" gangs involved in drug trafficking and high crime activity. Anti-Mexican sentiment is part of Trump's political agenda to win the presidential election and he used defamatory statements like "they are rapists and criminals, but some of them are good people".

And historically, Mexican-Americans lived apart in high degrees of segregation (barrios or colonias) whether legal (1940s CA and 1960s TX) or by custom, since the US has a long history of Black/African-American and ethnic-immigrant neighborhoods and towns of their own (i.e. Chinatowns), but there is an increase of Mexican majorities in southern CA in the late 20th century and now in 2020, over 40% of CA's population is Latino compared to 10% in 1960.

JUPITERASC

Polling Is WRONG,

And It's Down To The BLACK Approval Of Trump, And Taxes :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a7RHHO00Yc

I know some racial stereotypes of Hispanic/Latinx/Mexican-Americans. They are viewed as brown or indigenous despite European Spanish ancestry with some Moorish-Arab genes mixed in, unable to speak English or have a heavy accent, humongous close-knit families under a strong "machismo" male head of household, and highly religious Roman Catholic, note America has a history of anti-Catholicism by some Protestants who thought the Vatican "isn't Christian".

On pop culture like TV shows and movies for a long time, Mexicans are portrayed to be "illegal aliens" demographically taking over the Southwest US, in third world poverty, in farm labor jobs and in "cholo" gangs involved in drug trafficking and high crime activity. Anti-Mexican sentiment is part of Trump's political agenda to win the presidential election and he used defamatory statements like "they are rapists and criminals, but some of them are good people".

And historically, Mexican-Americans lived apart in high degrees of segregation (barrios or colonias) whether legal (1940s CA and 1960s TX) or by custom, since the US has a long history of Black/African-American and ethnic-immigrant neighborhoods and towns of their own (i.e. Chinatowns), but there is an increase of Mexican majorities in southern CA in the late 20th century and now in 2020, over 40% of CA's population is Latino compared to 10% in 1960.

CapAquaPis

Those things may not contradict each other. This is why it is important to explain and elaborate on what we actually mean in our definitions, so that there may be a respectable and well-reasoned disagreement.

It's not about a person is racist or a bigot, it's about what they said is racist or bigoted, and they need to realize whether or not they have privilege to not be able to see what Blacks (and other racial minorities or of color), (cis-)Women, Gays (the LGBT/Gender-Romantic-Sexual Minority community at large) and Non-Christians (Muslims a lot more than Jews) regularly experienced in their lives.

And here's one more bogus claim and hypocritical 'microaggression':
"I don't talk about people's disabilities, it's going to insult them".
Yeah, but you would get angry and frustrated over the issue many physically and developmentally disabled are less likely to hold down a job and more likely to depend on a 'check in the mail' you feel is paid by your 'high' income taxes.

CapAquaPis

In some parts of the US (and in Canada), people are taught to not talk about politics. Southerners and Texans are notably "polite" with a strong conservative bent in their regional culture, esp. they try to avoid political debates with anyone from the Northeast, Midwest and West Coast, and their large African-American population is another thing to take issue. And the left of California country Canada (and former British colony Newfoundland later joined Canada in the 1940s) are regarded as more polite than the US and they have a notable social liberal emphasis of multiculturalism and respect for different cultures, also not recommended to talk about politics and they don't boost their "soft" nationalism esp. with a "highly patriotic" US American, an UK visitor (Canada is a member of the British Commonwealth of Nations), and their French-Canadian (most of Quebec province's residents) and First Nations/Inuit/Metis minorities.

Is it because where I live I'm center-left or more vocally open about politics and social issues than someone from "proper" New England (founded on the belief of freedom of religion, while the Southeast is known as the "bible belt")? Parts of the US like Utah the majority of locals belong to a same single church (the Mormons) and in Hawaii, the majority of the island state's population are non-Caucasians (Asian and Pacific Islander). Understanding regional culture is what prevents one from getting into trouble by breaking social norms and rules depending on time and place where it's inappropriate or offensive to bring up a tense subject or make a generalization about an ethnicity/race and religion/ sect.

JUPITERASC

Racist.
If you pay attention
it is very clear that the word “Racism”
has been re-defined by one faction
to mean something very nearly the opposite of what it once meant.:smile:

One one side, to be Racist means
to judge a person based on their skin color
– making race an issue.

From the other side, to be Racist means
to dare to judge people by anything other than their skin color
– not making race the main issue.

If you don’t make race the main issue that makes you Racist.

This now means that the different sides politically
are using the same word without being clearly aware
of what it means
or without being aware that it is used differently by the other side. :smile:

You have people arguing over whether or not they are Racist
without realizing
that they are using the words in completely different senses.
Most likely the people hearing these arguments
have only a fuzzy sense of just exactly what the word means
or how it is being used in a particular context.

The word Racism has been weaponized.
Calling someone a Racist
is now a way to dismiss or belittle a person
without having to bother taking them or their positions seriously :smile:

People may be a bit fuzzy on just what being Racist means
but

they are pretty sure
they don’t want to come anywhere near a person
who has been branded Racist.
By being used so vaguely and indiscriminately
as a political weapon
the word has lost much if not all of its original meaning
and that is dangerous.
It used to be that
when I heard someone described as Racist
that it actually meant something specific
and I would pay attention.
Now I hear of someone being called Racist and I blow it off
It is now a vague perjorative term meaning next to nothing.
To become aware of this sort of deliberate
weaponized corruption of our language
I very highly recommend the book
– “...Cynical Theories...” by Helen Pluckrose and James Lindsay.
It will open your eyes in a whole new way
to how language is currently being used
to coerce politics
and to muddy, confuse and control thinking and discourse. :smile:
Charles Obert

CapAquaPis

The recent BLM riots in NYC and Philly, Dodgers and Lakers riots in LA, and continued Antifa violence in Portland and Seattle: wait until election day and see what happens nationally, esp in front of the Capitol and the WH in DC.

JUPITERASC

725066ae5fa00cc26f990c10bd68caef.jpg

CapAquaPis

I hear racial and otherwise cultural stereotypes (and insults) from many people on FB and around me about why the COVID pandemic is so huge in the Latinx community and in the Southern US states.

1. Latinx "huge" family gatherings of like 20 people ... "why don't they use zoom or through the computer"?

And 2. Southerners are rarely outside ... "now they are not staying at home when the state ordered them to".

Tomorrow is election day, here comes the storm...lots of hatred out in the open and flowing the streets and cities of America...whoever wins (Trump or Biden), the intense polarization will intensify, including between racial or cultural lines.