Multiple questions in horary

Moog

How do you like to deal with more than one question asked at any given time?

dr. farr

Ideally one should ask only one question per horary; however, Vedic horary has certain multi-question approaches; also astro-divination such as the Magic 8 Ball allows for multiple questions/answers as well. Basically, in these multiple question methods, assuming the querent is always the same, then the quesited changes since one would be asking about various subjects; if asking about the same subject category (say multiple questions regarding 7th house matters) different significators from the 7th house (in the form of the 3 trigonal lords-regardless of day or night-of the sign on that house) would be used for each subsequent question (same for multiple questions about the same matters for other houses)

However, unless using a method (like the Magic 8 Ball, and certain related astro-divination methods such as "dice horary", etc) which is easily adaptable to multiple questions at one "sitting", one should stick with the traditional one question/one horary-at-a-time "rule"...

Moog

Thanks dr. farr.

I've been experminting with reading multiple questions from the different langnas. Was wondering if there was anything else out there.

anoop.indirapuramghazibad

According to Vedic astrology, many astrologers are using Arudh Lagna method for multiple questions. They will ask natal to quote one number from 1-108, and then find out ascendant.
Another method is KP Method, and again number in between 1-249 is quoted by natal, and ascendant is worked out.
One more method is first question from Ascendant, second from Moon, third from Sun, fourth from Jupiter, fifth question Venus or Mercury (based on the strength of the planet - strong planet) and sixth Mercury or Venus (based on the strength of planets).

Moog

According to Vedic astrology, many astrologers are using Arudh Lagna method for multiple questions. They will ask natal to quote one number from 1-108, and then find out ascendant.
Another method is KP Method, and again number in between 1-249 is quoted by natal, and ascendant is worked out.
One more method is first question from Ascendant, second from Moon, third from Sun, fourth from Jupiter, fifth question Venus or Mercury (based on the strength of the planet - strong planet) and sixth Mercury or Venus (based on the strength of planets).

Thank you Anoop. I've been using method 2, I will experiment with the numbers.

anoop.indirapuramghazibad

Certain astrologers have fixed sitting arrangements according to ascendant. (Direction wise or they have given numbers to those chairs) accordingly they are finding out their ascendant.
But they follow only on method and stick to that.

dr. farr

I'll outline a dice-based astro-divination method (yes/no or +/- type questions and answers only) in which numerous questions can be asked and answered from the same chart (within 1 hour limit), if anyone is interested in such a method (its somewhat similar to the Walis Magic 8 Ball divination which I have elaborated here on AW)...

Culpeper

Premium Member
I have trouble doing my own horary questions. I get useless charts so I save up my questions. When I have a list of them, have the time and I know the Moon is in Cancer or Taurus, I renumber the list of questions and cast a chart. The time is for when I cast the horary chart. When I do this I get very good answers from just one chart. If a house has to be used again, use the exaltation ruler for the next question otherwise use the first triplicity ruler etc. I have not run out of significators. It may not work for you but it works for me.

Last edited:

Moog

When I have a list of them, have the time and I know the Moon is in Cancer or Taurus, I renumber the list of questions and cast a chart. The time is for when I cast the horary chart.

Do you do that because the Moon has dignity in those signs?

Paul_

Account Closed
In my experience asking multiple questions tends to detract from the purity of the horary and suggests a more confused rationale. I believe that we ask horaries for questions which sort of burning in our minds to be answered - which we have exhausted all normal means of getting our answer through normal ways.

Normally there are not two things which burn in your mind equally at the same time. It's unlikely that there would ever be a 'pure' horary question where you ask "Does she really love me and oh by the way will I get that job".

So I think answering one question is better, but that question may have a couple of other addendums to it, so multiple questions like: "Will I get the job, and will I enjoy working there" is fine by me for example.

BobZemco

In my experience asking multiple questions tends to detract from the purity of the horary and suggests a more confused rationale.
I agree for the most part, but would point out it depends on the nature of the questions. This...
Normally there are not two things which burn in your mind equally at the same time. It's unlikely that there would ever be a 'pure' horary question where you ask "Does she really love me and oh by the way will I get that job".
...is an excellent example of what you're talking about. But, sometimes, uh, extremely infrequently, there are situations in which several questions are inextricably linked and related, and so the actions taken by Querent are dependent upon the other events related to the other questions.
So I think answering one question is better, but that question may have a couple of other addendums to it, so multiple questions like: "Will I get the job, and will I enjoy working there" is fine by me for example.
I would consider that to be one question, since -- assuming the Querent is granted the job -- the working conditions and success (or failure) of the Querent will also be shown (at least within the time frame of the Horary). There are two techniques for delineating multiple questions in Horary, but I won't discuss them in detail in order to discourage multiple questions.

Zarathu

Account Closed
There are two techniques for delineating multiple questions in Horary, but I won't discuss them in detail in order to discourage multiple questions.

While you don't have to go into detail, Bob, I would appreciate knowing the references for dealing with the "Do you carry your lunch or walk to school" type of question, which are two questions at once that are not especially related. Although if you carry a very large lunch then you might not walk to school.

I can certainly research it myself if you could give me some direction.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Just a note: in the various Vedic horary approaches (some elaborated in text form as early as the 500's AD-200 years before the first books appeared outlining Western horary methodologies) there are a couple approaches which allow, indeed incorporate, a multiple question and answer methodology using the same chart (see for example Varahamihira's "Daivajna Vallabha", c. 560 AD)...

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Okay guys, let's stop picking on Zarathu. We get it, he likes Ivy. Haha. We all have our favorite authors.

Tikana said:
people have done it.. you can take a look at Louis'examples

he also put in his book OR OR OR

William Lilly had done that many times

I don't recommend anything by Anthony Louis. His underlying philosophy of horary is completely off base. He has a lot of chart examples (which was why I was originally drawn to his book), but about 80% of them are basically invalid.

I'm not really sure what you're saying Lilly did many times, but he only has one example of a "should" question, no examples of multiple questions on different topics from the same chart, and no "or" questions unless it was related (such as if a horse was lost or stolen)

BobZemco said:
You'd have to look at Bonatti, Dariot, Zael and the older works.

Don't waste your time looking through Bonatti. He doesn't have any crazy chart examples like this.

Doing multiple questions from the same horary chart is a really simple process. You just delinate the chart one way, and then you go back and do it over again looking at a different significator. However, I can only recall ever having done this at one time, but the questions were still kind of related. The querent had just gone through a very difficult time in life (checked themselves into a mental facility, etc) and had met two new people and wanted to know if those relationships were going to be helpful to her. It was fortunate that one relationship was specifically in a romantic context while the other was specifically in a friendship context. So, while maybe not exactly two different questions, it was a similar question on two different matters.

JUPITERASC

I'm not really sure what you're saying Lilly did many times, but he only has one example of a "should" question, no examples of multiple questions on different topics from the same chart, and no "or" questions unless it was related (such as if a horse was lost or stolen)

Doing multiple questions from the same horary chart is a really simple process. You just delinate the chart one way, and then you go back and do it over again looking at a different significator.
However, I can only recall ever having done this at one time, but the questions were still kind of related. The querent had just gone through a very difficult time in life (checked themselves into a mental facility, etc) and had met two new people and wanted to know if those relationships were going to be helpful to her. It was fortunate that one relationship was specifically in a romantic context while the other was specifically in a friendship context. So, while maybe not exactly two different questions, it was a similar question on two different matters.
An example of a multiple question WILLIAM LILLY'S WAR CHARTS article By David Plant http://skyscript.co.uk/CA455.html :smile:

If his MAJESTY should procure Forces out of Ireland to harm the Parliament?
If the QUEEN, then in the North, would advance with her Army?
If She would prosper?
When She and his Majesty should meet?

Christian Astrology, p.455

'…...Chronologically, this is the second of the 'war charts' in Christian Astrology.
This multiple question is more complicated. The querent is asking Lilly to delineate enemy troop movements and strategy from a horary chart.

The wording of the first part of the question confirms that the Irish 'troubles' go back a long way in history....'

'….The question specifically mentions the King, so Lilly begins his judgement by looking to the 10th house, the house of royalty. With Cancer on the Midheaven, King Charles is shown by the Moon which is very strong: in its own sign, angular and waxing. Its only impediment is slowness of motion. The 2nd house from the 10th represents the King's resources, which Lilly uses here to signify the Royalist cause in general. This house (the 11th) is ruled by the Sun which is also very strong: exalted, angular and within orb of a trine to the 11th cusp. From the great strength of the luminaries, Lilly judged that the King would indeed 'procure forces out of Ireland' - both commanders (Sun) and ordinary troopers (Moon)....'

'….The rest of the judgement concerns Queen Henrietta Maria.

King Charles's marriage to her in 1625 caused consternation in England because she was a devout Roman Catholic. Criticism of the Queen in the House of Commons precipitated final rift between King and Parliament in 1642. When war looked inevitable she went to Holland, taking the Crown Jewels with her. These were pawned to buy weapons/ammunition for the Royalist cause and to recruit English mercenaries fighting in the Continental wars. She returned to England in February 1643 landing at Bridlington, Yorkshire. By the time the question was asked she had moved to York, the principal Royalist stronghold in the north of England. The querent was concerned that she would move south to join forces with the King's army at Oxford....'