What is deja vu????

gesso

I've had 2 deja vu moments today and I have been thinking alot about it
..some kind of psychic pre-awareness of reality/events?
They dont last long..like 5 seconds or so, but it is definately a "i have done this before thing"

..Very intriguing experience

freedomlover

They dont last long..like 5 seconds or so, but it is definately a "i have done this before thing"

Gesso,

Well, I'm open to a more well-researched answer, but in lieu of that.... I'll give you the theory I go by:

I (and several others I've talked with) have had this happen many times when we have dreamed about it previously. When it happens, we remember the dream, and it's like we have been in that situation before. I ( and others ) have also had the experience of not remembering a dream until something triggers it - then we remember the dream.

Therefore, using these happenings as basis..... my theory is that deja vu happens when we don't remember that we dreamed about all this happening. (Hey, most people don't remember their dreams - and those that do, usually don't remember all of them.) So, therefore, when the situation happens, the prophetic dream of it happening is triggered, and it seems like we've been there and done that before.

I've also read that past life memories being triggered can be the cause of some deja vu experiences, especially when they involve travelling through a place you've never been in this life.

In either case, it involved something stored in the subconscious ( in dreams or past life memories) that suddenly "comes alive".

I hope that was coherent.:rolleyes:

FL

Last edited:

freedomlover

As an astrological "aside"..... I just read that there was a Sun/Neptune conjunction this morning. That could have caused deja vu to be more active than normal.

Damo Mayo

It can be so annoying, can't it?! I get it rather often, sometimes for several days in a row, and quite strongly. I usually end up believing that something in real life is reminding me of a dream that I had otherwise forgotten. I have a Pisces ascendant which makes Neptune my chart ruler. Neptune is the planet that rules dreams and hidden thought processes, so I would imagine that the strength and importance of Neptune in ones chart directly influences ones tendency toward feelings of deja-vu.

Another theory I have heard is that planets moving in retrograde can cause us to relive recent experiences, be it deja-vu or be it consciously going through things over and over in our heads.

gesso

freedomlover said:
As an astrological "aside"..... I just read that there was a Sun/Neptune conjunction this morning. That could have caused deja vu to be more active than normal.

that sounds like a good culprit :)
that conjunction squaring my chart ruler uranus too right now

ALRESCHA

I realize nobody posted in this thread for a long time, but I want to know more about the phenomenon!

freedomlover I hope you are still around. I remember 97% of such dreams and they are all vivid and literally repeated in reality. I can even recall when I had them not only when they happen in reality, but I don't forget them or the time that I had them in the mean time.

Most of the time they are silly, usually about my friends telling me something funny or me doing something like opening a box etc and they are almost always about us being inside a room, not outside.

Sometimes I dream such a dream a few times and then it happens very soon, and sometimes years go by before it happens.

I was wondering if you or anybody knows how can we work this and make ourselves dream about situations that matter more than our friend cracking up a wordplay joke or something.

I would like to master this because lately I can't interpret my own prophetic dreams, and 99% of them are in symbols.

Last edited:

ALRESCHA

Thanks! :happy:
I get it, but my situation is neither. I dream of situations that are later repeated in reality exactly the way it was in my dream. I literally see the future situations and I never forget them. It's not an out of of body experience, and it's totally real. I still remain me in my dreams, I am never an observer of me in these types of dreams. I simply see the future exactly as it later happens. I sometimes dream of someone mispronouncing some words in a way I haven't heard anyone do so before or after. Or they combine some words into one big funny word. And then they do it in reality later. :lol: It's an impossible situation and it still happens. It's almost always about words :lol: I remember the colors, the intonation in people's voices. And I can tell if it is that kind of dream right away. I wish I could dream of situations that matter in such way.

Tessie

Banned
Thanks! :happy:
I get it, but my situation is neither. I dream of situations that are later repeated in reality exactly the way it was in my dream. I literally see the future situations and I never forget them. It's not an out of of body experience, and it's totally real. I still remain me in my dreams, I am never an observer of me in these types of dreams. I simply see the future exactly as it later happens. I sometimes dream of someone mispronouncing some words in a way I haven't heard anyone do so before or after. Or they combine some words into one big funny word. And then they do it in reality later. :lol: It's an impossible situation and it still happens. It's almost always about words :lol: I remember the colors, the intonation in people's voices. And I can tell if it is that kind of dream right away. I wish I could dream of situations that matter in such way.

This thread is about deja va. As you say, your situation is not about deja vu. You may have posted to the wrong thread. :(

theoddone

I personally think deja vu is an awareness of precognitive dreams you've had but don't specifically remember, if that makes any sense. For example, my own deja vu experiences occurred while I was awake and left me confused and I was adamant that I experienced them before. Afterwards, memories of my dreams had come back to me and the context was very similar to what I experienced when the deja vu hit me.

JUPITERASC

I personally think deja vu is an awareness of precognitive dreams you've had but don't specifically remember, if that makes any sense. For example, my own deja vu experiences occurred while I was awake and left me confused and I was adamant that I experienced them before. Afterwards, memories of my dreams had come back to me and the context was very similar to what I experienced when the deja vu hit me.
déjà vu
French noun: déjà vu

a feeling of having already experienced the present situation.

"a feeling of
déjà vu"

URBAN DICTIONARY DEFINITION

'......Something that very few people know the true meaning of.
Even though deja vu is French for "already seen",
it actually is used to describe the strange feeling you get when you're in a situation,
and feel like you've been in the exact same situation before, but really haven't
Most people think it means the same thing happening twice, which is wrong......' :smile:

for example:
Jack: Hrmm..
Bob: What?
Jack: I could have sworn I've been here before. But I know I haven't.
Bob: Heh. Deja vu?
Jack. Yeah. What a strange feeling!

ALRESCHA

This is what I thought too, that's why I posted in this thread. If you can't say that they too are deja vu, then I have never had one.

JUPITERASC

'....Déjà vu, French, literally "already seen",
phenomenon of a strong sensation
that event/experience currently being experienced
has been experienced in the past, regardless of whether it has actually happened
Psychologist Edward B. Titchener in “A TEXTBOOK OF PSYCHOLOGY” (1928),
explained déjà vu as caused by a person having a brief glimpse of an object or situation,
before the brain has completed "constructing" a full conscious perception of the experience.
Such a "partial perception" results in a false sense of familiarity.
Scientific approaches reject explanation of déjà vu as "precognition" or "prophecy",
but rather explain it as an anomaly of memory,
which creates a distinct impression that an experience is "being recalled
"
.....'

'….This explanation is supported by the fact that the sense of "recollection" at the time is strong in most cases,
but that the circumstances of the "previous" experience
(when, where, and how the earlier experience occurred)
are uncertain or believed to be impossible.
As time passes, subjects may exhibit a strong recollection of having the "unsettling" experience of déjà vu itself,
but little or no recollection of the specifics of the event(s) or circumstance(s) which were the subject of the déjà vu experience itself
(the events that were being "remembered").
This may result from an "overlap" between the neurological systems responsible for short-term memory
and those responsible for long-term memory,
resulting in (memories of) recent events erroneously being perceived as being in the more distant past....'

'…..One theory is events are stored into memory before the conscious part of the brain even receives the information and processes it.
However, this explanation has been criticized - the brain would not be able to store information without a sensory input first.
Another theory suggests the brain may process sensory input (perhaps all sensory input) as a "memory-in-progress",
therefore during the event itself one believes it to be a past memory.
In a survey, Brown had concluded that approximately two-thirds of the population have had déjà vu experiences......'

Other studies confirm that déjà vu is a common experience in healthy individuals :smile:
with between 31% and 96% of individuals reporting it.
Déjà vu experiences that are unusually prolonged or frequent,
or in association with other symptoms such as hallucinations,
may be an indicator of neurological or psychiatric illness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Déjà_vu

Tessie

Banned
This is what I thought too, that's why I posted in this thread. If you can't say that they too are deja vu, then I have never had one.
Precognitive dreams and deja vu are different things. One happens subconsciously, the other consciously. One is prophetic, the other is not prophetic. That is why there are two different names, for the two different sets of phenomena.

Tessie

Banned
'....Déjà vu, French, literally "already seen",
phenomenon of a strong sensation
that event/experience currently being experienced
has been experienced in the past, regardless of whether it has actually happened
Psychologist Edward B. Titchener in “A TEXTBOOK OF PSYCHOLOGY” (1928),
explained déjà vu as caused by a person having a brief glimpse of an object or situation,
before the brain has completed "constructing" a full conscious perception of the experience.
Such a "partial perception" results in a false sense of familiarity.
Scientific approaches reject explanation of déjà vu as "precognition" or "prophecy",
but rather explain it as an anomaly of memory,
which creates a distinct impression that an experience is "being recalled
"
.....'

'….This explanation is supported by the fact that the sense of "recollection" at the time is strong in most cases,
but that the circumstances of the "previous" experience
(when, where, and how the earlier experience occurred)
are uncertain or believed to be impossible.
As time passes, subjects may exhibit a strong recollection of having the "unsettling" experience of déjà vu itself,
but little or no recollection of the specifics of the event(s) or circumstance(s) which were the subject of the déjà vu experience itself
(the events that were being "remembered").
This may result from an "overlap" between the neurological systems responsible for short-term memory
and those responsible for long-term memory,
resulting in (memories of) recent events erroneously being perceived as being in the more distant past....'

'…..One theory is events are stored into memory before the conscious part of the brain even receives the information and processes it.
However, this explanation has been criticized - the brain would not be able to store information without a sensory input first.
Another theory suggests the brain may process sensory input (perhaps all sensory input) as a "memory-in-progress",
therefore during the event itself one believes it to be a past memory.
In a survey, Brown had concluded that approximately two-thirds of the population have had déjà vu experiences......'

Other studies confirm that déjà vu is a common experience in healthy individuals :smile:
with between 31% and 96% of individuals reporting it.
Déjà vu experiences that are unusually prolonged or frequent,
or in association with other symptoms such as hallucinations,
may be an indicator of neurological or psychiatric illness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Déjà_vu

My take on deja vu is along the lines of:

Neurological patients are characterised by aberrations to neural signalling pathways. Recreational drugs (pot, ecstasy, etc.) have the same effect. In neurological patients, a repeated deja vu or jamais vu is often present. A similar form of psychosis is experienced during recreational drug taking. Often there is an overwhelming sence of familiarity with perfect strangers. These lines of evidence show the human stream of consciousness is subject to proper or improper effects of neurotransmission. Billions of neural pathways signal simultaneously at any one time to provide perception. Gestalt psychology and streotypes research shows the human brain makes great use grouping and filling in of details which are otherwise not there. The healthy brain needs only to have present moment perception with a momentary neurochemical imbalance which makes the moment feel overwhelmingly familiar. The brain may try to compensate for this by searching memory stores, thereby, activating memorial networks in a thousandth of a second, that is, processing below the threshold for conscious awareness. It finds no memory match. As a result, what remains is the activation of memoral networks, present moment perception and a feeling of familiarity. None are linked but the processing networks for each fire in parallel in attempt to clear up confusion caused by erronuous neurotransmission. This causes the deja vu. Because all this processing takes place automatically, below the threshold for conscious awareness and without our directive, it feels alien.

It is impossible to data collect on this let alone experiment with since deja vu happens spontaneously and sporadically. But erronuous neurotransmission is common. Think, every time you call someone the wrong name, take the wrong route. It could mean something or not.

Bunraku

Does this give you deja vu?

dignities2.gif

emily23

Well, if you had done this before, it wouldnt be a pre awareness would it? It would be more like a replay

:biggrin:

on reading some of the posts on this thread, i notice much is made of dreams and dreaming this etc, like alot of people i have deja vu moments, they can be imo, just about thoughts and imaginings when awake too - our minds are the tricksters we live with

just my 2 cents

theoddone

Well, if you had done this before, it wouldnt be a pre awareness would it? It would be more like a replay

:biggrin:

on reading some of the posts on this thread, i notice much is made of dreams and dreaming this etc, like alot of people i have deja vu moments, they can be imo, just about thoughts and imaginings when awake too - our minds are the tricksters we live with

just my 2 cents

So like thought manifestation?