When analyzing a natal chart, what are some questions to ask yourself and others?

soratothamax

Like when analyzing the Sun, what are some questions that should be highlighted to bring out or to know when our sun sign has been involved or any other planet in a natal chart? I just basically want to know Sun through pluto, especially pluto as that planet is very complex.

For instance, when we look at our moon, are moon-like questions like "how do you react to situations?" or something like that?

I just would like a guide when analyzing a natal chart of someone else's, like questions to reflect on when looking at the planets and the house placements?

I'm not sure if you will understand. I hope. XD

tautomer

I think a better start point would not to search for which questions to ask, but understand what each planet and sign represents. Once you know those, you'll intuitively know what questions to ask.

JUPITERASC

Like when analyzing the Sun, what are some questions that should be highlighted to bring out or to know when our sun sign has been involved or any other planet in a natal chart?

At
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/sagittarius.html each of the twelve signs may be individually selected in order to view a description of personality traits for any particular sign

And follow the links at thttp://www.skyscript.co.uk/sunaspects.html for each planet involved with any other planet in a natal chart

Re: When analysing a natal chart, what are some questions to ask yourself and others?

Fwiw IMO a key question is “Are you certain you have a reliable time of birth?” That's because for some people their time of birth is not recorded on their birth certificate and if for any reason they are unable to access medical records then basically they cannot know for certain their natal ascendant/descendant/MC/IC angles and without a reliable time of birth
there is no guarantee that the person's natal chart is actually their natal chart!

If a natal chart does not describe the person's appearance as well as the events in their lives then it is not their natal chart
. So therefore IMO the most important questions are those that are establishing the chart in question is actually the natal chart of the person concerned :smile:

greybeard

The horoscope will "talk to you" and tell you what the main issues are.

It takes time to learn to let this happen.

If the client comes to you with a specific problem/question/situation, then of course you just let the client guide you...and you will find what is needed in the chart.

I suggest that rather than trying to "perform" (Swami Suchamuch, the Great Astrologer, will now read Your Destiny), you try creating a dialogue between yourself and the client. It is easy to do: you select what you think is the major theme in the natal chart (or in lieu of that, what seems to be happening in the life at the time of the reading), say a few words about that, listen to the response it elicits and go from there.

Your task as a student, then, is to learn to find the main theme in the chart. Most charts have a single theme that stands out above all the other stuff; some charts are more complex -- and difficult to read -- but in general you should be able to find one thing that is more important, predominant, than anything else. Start there. The trick is to let the chart talk to you, rather than to impose your own preconceptions on it.

Personally, I am very much into analyzing and studying the structure of a chart (such an approach fits my individual mentality), because the structure of the horoscope is also the structure of the personality and the structure of the destiny -- they are all one. The study of the structure of any chart leads you quickly and surely to the main themes, the predominant planets, and an understanding of how the parts all fit into the whole. And by studying the structure, the horoscope speaks to you eloquently.

Last edited:

waybread

Think of the sun as one's core identity or sense of self. The house indicates where or in what domain of life the person feels most centred. The sign indicates how or in what manner the sun operates.

Although traditional astrology generally sees planets weakened by being conjunct the sun, with a couple of exceptions, I think a planet conjunct one's sun indicates that the person identifies with what that planet represents. I once looked at the charts of a lot of academics, and Mercury conjunct sun came up frequently. Obviously Mercury wasn't weakened by being conjunct the sun in the case of a bunch of smart people with Ph. Ds. But equally, the professors seemed to identify with their intelligence-- the Mercury function.

Each planet has positive and negative attributes. The negative side of Pluto is its ruthless quality-- kind of a "bully or be bullied" or "dominate or be dominated" sort of energy. More constructively, Pluto indicates the capacity to benefit from profound change. Sun conjunct Pluto people, for example, have the capacity to constantly grow and reinvent themselves in transformative ways. If they don't do that, they get tied up in unpleasant power dynamics with other people.

With sun opposite Pluto, Pluto becomes the "not me" planet, and the person may well feel bullied or opposed by Plutonian types of people: ruthless and powerful. With the sun square Pluto, s/he may feel constantly pressured to engage in tests of will. These people were often bullied as children, so they learn to mistrust other people.

Claire19

It is always best to ask specific questions of the customer or whoever and then hone in on the areas that relate to that, on the chart.

The Sun takes prominence, the ascendant ruler and its aspects. The moon and the north node. Any planet in the 1st house is always stronger than a mere rising sign. Any planet that is in natural house and sign will be strong and those that are heavily and closely aspected.
The current transits and progressions show what is happening for them now.

Bearing in mind astrology should be used as a guide and free will, environment, level of evolvement all come into play. This takes years of practise, needless to say.

Anachiel

Like when analyzing the Sun, what are some questions that should be highlighted to bring out or to know when our sun sign has been involved or any other planet in a natal chart? I just basically want to know Sun through pluto, especially pluto as that planet is very complex.

For instance, when we look at our moon, are moon-like questions like "how do you react to situations?" or something like that?

I just would like a guide when analyzing a natal chart of someone else's, like questions to reflect on when looking at the planets and the house placements?

I'm not sure if you will understand. I hope. XD

I ask:
"Does it apply to reality?", "Can it (the advice) be applied practically?", "Does it describe the reality of the situation/matter?" and "Is it helpful to the querent/seeker/whatever?".

tsmall

Premium Member
Although traditional astrology generally sees planets weakened by being conjunct the sun, with a couple of exceptions, I think a planet conjunct one's sun indicates that the person identifies with what that planet represents. I once looked at the charts of a lot of academics, and Mercury conjunct sun came up frequently. Obviously Mercury wasn't weakened by being conjunct the sun in the case of a bunch of smart people with Ph. Ds. But equally, the professors seemed to identify with their intelligence-- the Mercury function.

waybread, this is an interesting point that even traditional astrologers have noticed. The more I study, and study charts, the more I am coming to understand that when we say a planet in a natal chart is weakened for being conjunct the Sun (combust if within 8*, under the beams from 8 to 15*) it isn't necessarily a judgment on how that planet will feel to the native or be incorporated by his/her personality, but rather that the planet may not be able to operate over the houses it rules. So for instance, Mercury combust (poor guy, it happens to him so often :surprised:) traditionally wouldn't be an indication of a lack of smarts (thankfully, since mine is combust and retrograde) but rather there may or may not, depending on other aspects and the consideration of the rest of the chart, be issues surrounding the houses that have Gemini or Virgo on the cusp.

I think the best question to ask when looking at a chart is "why am I looking at this chart?" Is it to answer a question someone has asked of you? Is it to practice a particular technique? The thing about natal charts is they describe in detail a person's entire life. That's a complex structure, an entire person, to be represented by 7 (or 10 plus if you are a modern astrologer) planets and four angles. Reading with a specific reason or question gives the astrologer someplace to start, and still allows for more thorough examination the farther into it, and the more subsequent questions, they get.

Anachiel

Going a bit off topic but I want to add, Mercury really doesn't count for the combust thing because Mercury has the unique property to take on, amalgamate and/or mimic the nature of the planet(s) it is configured with. Mercury can pretty much always get out of a tough spot or make it work for him/her.

Also, it is very much Mercury's nature being also a trickster, shape-shifter, thief, merchant, messenger, etc to hide, disappear, advise and get close to "Kings" (Sun), travel the breadth and width of things and places that others cannot (or dare not) go.

Combustion is also something that is more a unique condition of a planet when seen in a horary, and not so much to natal charts, at least delineation-wise. For example, Mars being hot and dry is also not too affected by the Sun, which, by nature, is also hot and dry. Mars loves a challenge! So, in that case, in the proper context, would become a sort of situation where adversity is useful or inspiring to the native.

Venus, also has the unique property to overcome combustion by reason of her occasional extremes of latitude, FYI, should that be interesting or useful at some point for someone looking at that planet as well.

waybread

Wow, tsmall! What a cool idea! I'll have to get busy with some sun conjunct whatever charts, and see how the other planet operates as a house cusp ruler.

Have you got a chart on hand for demonstration purposes?

BTW, I have Mercury retrograde as well. The definition of it that I like best is that the mind likes to review seemingly mismatched details, over and over, until it finds a way to have all of the puzzle pieces fit.

greybeard

I agree wholly with tsmall....combustion affects a planet as lord of a house. I had reached this same conclusion some years ago; it is the affairs of the house that suffer from combustion.

I also agree....What is the reason for looking at the chart? That should always be at the forefront of our thinking on examining a chart.

I like your idea of "identification" waybread. I look at combustion another way, too...
The Sun expropriiates a combust planet's energies for his own purposes. In other words, the Solar purpose consumes those energies and employs them (sometimes rather ruthessly) for its superior ends (the purpose of the life.)

tsmall

Premium Member
Wow, tsmall! What a cool idea! I'll have to get busy with some sun conjunct whatever charts, and see how the other planet operates as a house cusp ruler.

Have you got a chart on hand for demonstration purposes?

BTW, I have Mercury retrograde as well. The definition of it that I like best is that the mind likes to review seemingly mismatched details, over and over, until it finds a way to have all of the puzzle pieces fit.

My Mercury wants to do the same thing. :lol:

It took a while to find a chart and a complete enough biography that could show this, but I came up with this one. It has a AA rating, and for a wonder the birth time isn't on the hour or quarter hour.

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Kerrigan,_Nancy

Her Wiipedia biography is here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Kerrigan

Briefly, because it would be educational to hear other members' comments, Nancy has Jupiter fairly well combust in the 7th, with the Sun in it's fall. I use whole sign houses, so Jupiter is the ruler of her 12th house of things including secret enemies and self undoing. Jupiter and the Sun get a square from the right from Mars (which probably is the planet responsible for her skating ability and fame.) In January 1994 she was attacked with a police bat to her knee, which was later revealed to be at the behest of a competitor's husband and friend--seceret enemies?

She also lost several endorsement contracts as a result of several poorly received comments she made after the Olympics--self undoing?