Hard aspects to a planet that's in its domicile

hildegard

Hi,

I've read somewhere (I guess on a book I can't remember) that when a planet is in its domicile we don't need to worry much about the hard aspects to it. For example, according to what I've read there should be a difference in interpreting (1) the negative effects of an opposition between Saturn and Sun when Saturn is in Capricorn and (2) the negative effects of an opposition between Saturn and Sun when Saturn is not in its domicile. So, it suggests being in a domicile lessens the negative effects of hard aspects.

I hope I made myself clear.

I appreciate your views on this. :smile:

byjove

Account Closed
That's exactly what has been taught to me - a planet in domicile or exaltation is more than equipped to handle otherwise difficult aspects. One of the best metaphors for this that I've learned is about the placement of a king. In domicile or exaltation, the king is at home or is the honoured guest at somewhere important. There, he is in command of his resources and (to carry the metaphor further in this case) can defend himself comfortably.

I'm still wide open to the experience of others here too, but that's the best of my understanding.

Moog

Hi,

I've read somewhere (I guess on a book I can't remember) that when a planet is in its domicile we don't need to worry much about the hard aspects to it. For example, according to what I've read there should be a difference in interpreting (1) the negative effects of an opposition between Saturn and Sun when Saturn is in Capricorn and (2) the negative effects of an opposition between Saturn and Sun when Saturn is not in its domicile. So, it suggests being in a domicile lessens the negative effects of hard aspects.

I hope I made myself clear.

I appreciate your views on this. :smile:

In vedic vernacular, a planet in it's own sign/exaltation is 'Jagrat', which means something like wide awake. A planet in an enemy sign/debilitated is sleeping, and a planet in a neutral sign is sleepy, kinda half awake.

A wide awake planet is totally able to protect itself to it's full ability, and the stuff it's responsible for. A sleeping planet is totally unconscious and unable to defend itself or it's stuff from any passing threat. The sleepy planet has some ability to withstand negative influence.

By the same token, an awake planet can totally hurt sleeping enemy planets, but not vice versa.

These are 'Jagradadi avasthas' from Parashara astrology.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16601831/Avasthas-of-Planets

waybread

I am not so optimistic about this, though if the shoe fits in terms of individual lives and horoscopes, by all means, wear it!

I am thinking of a situation like moon in Cancer (domiciled) squaring Saturn in Libra (exalted). This would look to me like a big recipe for hurt feelings. We could further postulate this Venus-ruled Saturn in the 10th conjunct the MC (accidental dignity?) which should strengthen it. Or the moon (in an unequal house system) in the 12th together with some debilitated planets.

Or move Saturn to its stronghold in Capricorn opposite said moon.

And so on.

Perhaps the answer is "often but not always."

hildegard

I'm somewhat optimistic about this. I found the explanations quite logical. When a planet is in its own domicile, it's sensible to think that it's more powerful at defending itself against bad effects. However, I also think that the answer to my question is not a straightforward "yes" and other factors in individual charts should be considered :)

I'm very glad to hear positive answers as I have Saturn in Capricorn opposite my Sun.

As if it's not enough I also have Neptune in the 12th house and Uranus in 11th house opposite my Sun :):annoyed:

byjove

Account Closed
Yeah, I've been thinking about this. There's no exact hard and fast rule, but perhaps generally, the essentially dignified planet would reign. As Waybread skillfully pointed out, charts do appear where it's more complicated and challenges to dignity appear as well as other aspects and dispositor conditions which would be an exception to the rule. That was a mighty good example.

I may have an example of the rule in my chart. A long time ago, a person here said my Jupiter would "decimate" Neptune with the square they have (dexter). Jupiter is angular, in a conducive sign, house and element, sect ruler and in sect without any afflictions so Neptune (cadent) would lose (which is in Capricorn, Saturn not nearly so well-placed, also cadent and disposed by Jupiter).

hildegard

If two planets are equally matched, you get a stalemate.

Um, I'm new to astrology so I'm not sure what "equally matched" means. Sorry. Here's my chart.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_05_mir_he.64696.17198.jpg
    astro_2gw_05_mir_he.64696.17198.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

waybread

Hildegard, I do modern astrology, although I've read up on traditional astrology just a bit.

One thing that pops out to me about your chart is that your sun is not only opposite Saturn, but you have oppositions from Neptune and Uranus, as well. Then your sun conjuncts Chiron.

This looks to me like a huge recipe for hurt feelings. Have you felt that you have had people arrayed against you, trying to "put you in your place" all your life? (I have a couple of oppositions to my sun, and slowly but painfully I learned to stick up for myself.) Chiron shows us "where it hurts" and conjunct the sun, the wound can be directly to our sense of identity.

Planets opposite the sun are often experienced as "not me." They still have to manifest somehow, but often do this as people who seemingly oppose your interests.

The good news is that Chiron can also confer wisdom about life's hardships; and in Cancer, a fair bit of compassion for other people.

At some level, as you incorporate the energies of Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune into your own self-awareness, you may find the exterior enemies vanishing. You seem to be aided by your feisty moon in Aries and Pluto square Mars. Oftentimes this aspect can lead to volatile periods of bad temper. But it can give you the raw courage you need in life.

Your Mercury is also strengthened in its own sign of Gemini. Venus in Cancer would seem to give you the capacity to love and forgive.

Last edited:

hildegard

This looks to me like a huge recipe for hurt feelings. Have you felt that you have had people arrayed against you, trying to "put you in your place" all your life? (I have a couple of oppositions to my sun, and slowly but painfully I learned to stick up for myself.) Chiron shows us "where it hurts" and conjunct the sun, the wound can be directly to our sense of identity.

I’m 23 and up until now I haven’t felt that way.
I have issues with my sense of identity. My self-esteem is very volatile. I feel the effects of Chiron conjunct Sun very strongly from time to time but not always. I’m working on developing a stable and healthy self-esteem (and I’m absolutely open to any suggestions).

The good news is that Chiron can also confer wisdom about life's hardships; and in Cancer, a fair bit of compassion for other people.

At some level, as you incorporate the energies of Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune into your own self-awareness, you may find the exterior enemies vanishing. You seem to be aided by your feisty moon in Aries and Pluto square Mars. Oftentimes this aspect can lead to volatile periods of bad temper. But it can give you the raw courage you need in life.

Venus in Cancer would seem to give you the capacity to love and forgive.

Unfortunately, I’m prone to having bad temper.

I’m a compassionate person (maybe even a bit too much- you can find me crying over news when I see an unhappy person or a forest fire somewhere...) but I’m very cautious at letting other people in my life. I need to feel a strong and deep bond with a person so that I can be close to her/him.

DeLaSoul

What can be said about Domicile Saturn opposite Jupiter in it's exaltation?(in my case, Jupiter is Retro)

I've only ever heard one person speak about this particular aspect, deeming it extremely difficult. It happens to =SU/MO in my chart.

waybread

Saturn could dampen Jupiter's "good luck" factor. Jupiter is about faith and optimism, whereas Saturn is about restriction and life's limitations. On the other hand, if you go by traditional astrology's essential dignities, Jupiter is exalted in Cancer, so it could hold its own. (I assume your opposition is in-sign, with Capricorn-Cancer.)

I have had 3 close family members with Jupiter retrograde. I think it makes them more formal in some way. For sure they have a sense of humour, but not really the ability to cut loose and have a good giggle occasionally. Saturn would tend to accentuate this tendency.

But look at additional aspects to Saturn and Jupiter, as well as the planetary rulers of their house cusps, for further information on how Saturn-Jupiter plays out.

M

may28gemini

1st: It's pretty cool that planets in domicile/exaltation are strong enough to handle hard aspects. I have Gemini Mercury and have a lot of hard aspects to other planets but it still functions pretty well as Gemini Mercury should.

2nd: I'm not convinced that Saturn could/dampens Jupiter's luck with hard aspects. I would say it depends more on Saturn's sign than Jupiter's as far as how much damage can be done. If Saturn is in Aquarius and a person's Jupiter is in Leo (opposite for example), I don't think there would be much roughness given that Saturn is comfortable in his own placement and would allow Jupiter to operate in his own way without too much interference despite the opposition. Maybe if Saturn was in Cancer conjunct Cancer Jupiter... there could be some dampening as Saturn is very unhappy in Cancer and might take it out Jupiter... but to what extent of lessening Jupiter's power in his exaltation would be questionable. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anyone alive with such an aspect to share their thoughts/experiences on it.

I have Jupiter-Saturn conjunction in Libra. Being that my Saturn is exalted, in my experience, it doesn't seem to interfere with my Jupiter. If anything, I think Saturn helps me fine tune and prepare me to receive good luck and use it wisely when it comes to me. In this bad economy when work is hard to come by... I have 4 jobs. Saturn helped me lay down the foundation to receive the opportunities that Jupiter sends me. Or so, that's how it makes sense to me.