What Are Sabian Symbols

CapAquaPis

1-2 degrees Aquarius is interesting with regards to where Saturn is currently.

First part of it..."Civilization has developed to protect us against the cruelty of nature, yet in the end we all have to take precautions against accidents, and quicken ourselves in the presence of such primitive forces as thunderstorms. The storm image is appropriate on the psychological level too, as society also tries to mitigate emotional pain and inconvenience as much as possible.
Nonetheless, it is more or less certain that we will be thoroughly inconvenienced in our lifetime by the shifting patterns of events in which we are obliged to participate. The appropriate attitude is one of alertness rather than complete temperamental instability. It is idiocy to shout threats at the thunder.
In all the strands of a normal life – career, relationship, spirituality and family – we will likely have to come to terms with the loss of love, of position, of health and of our hopes – often as a result of an unexpected, unwelcome, forceful or stormy event."

1' Aquarius sabian symbol: An old adobe or mission in Spanish or Mexican California. The first of 3 states to had COVID-19 cases in Jan-Feb 2020 or who knows, earlier in Nov-Dec 2019 arrived in the US undetected by state and US health authorities, this new virus could began in Wuhan, China in Sep-Oct 2019. However, the worst states in the pandemic were NY state, NJ and CT who didn't expect viruses move west through Europe to enter the northeast US, the west coast were long prepared for "Asian flus" and SARS viruses to act quickly. California is not only part-Latin America, they're part of the Asian-Pacific rim.

1' Aquarius can also describe Latin America (of Hispanic-Spanish and in Brazil's case, Portuguese colonial origin). COVID-19 is heavily affecting Brazil, now the world's second most cases of any nation (350k confirmed and fast rising) and a death toll exceeding 50k. Brazil is making the global pandemic reach 6 million cases and 400k deaths this week. A lack of real leadership on a national level vs. state governors implemented lockdowns to reduce the virus spread, lower the hospitalization rate and save lives, they clash with president Jair Bolsonaro, who hadn't taken the severity of this health issue seriously for like 3 months.

Last edited:

piercethevale

17' Scorpio is between 8'50" and 26' to represent pregnancy, procreation and postpartum. 8'50" is the degree of pregnancy and oddly, my Uranus in 25' 30" Scorpio is close to 26' square my sun (90') in 26' Aquarius conjunct 20' moon. Some interpretations said the woman is "with child", but they mention she's a father instead of mother of her child. The sabian symbol of 9' Scorpio is about "a doctor analyzes a patient" and 26' Scorpio "a she-wolf with udders full of milk".

No they are not...in fact they are both something other than the Sabian Symbols for those particular degrees of the Zodiac.

As this sub-forum is about "Degree Symbols" in general please feel free to start a thread on whatever set of symbols these that you have presented are actually taken from...but they are not "Sabian Symbols" and as this particular thread, that I initiated, is specifically about those "Sabian Symbols", would you mind terribly if you will please delete your post and refrain from posting in threads specifically addressed to the "Sabian Symbols" in the future...or at least those threads so labeled that I initiated, thank you.

In addition might I suggest that you get a book on the Sabian Symbols, and familiarize yourself with them. You will eventually realize that there is no substitute set superior or even the equal of the set of degree symbols known specifically as the "Sabian Symbols" ...and I strongly addvise considering using only those published by Marc Edmond Jones or those of Dane Rudhyar...whom was given permission and approval by Marc Edmond Jones [the astrologer that first ascertained them with the help of a most qualified clairvoyant, Elsie Wheeler.] to publish his own analyses of the 360 symbols and to alter the imagery of those He felt necessary to better the understanding.
Personally, I find Dane's work to be far superior to that of Mr. JOnes... but that is just imho.
...again, thank you for understanding.... hopefully
ptv

david starling

No they are not...in fact they are both something other than the Sabian Symbols for those particular degrees of the Zodiac.

As this sub-forum is about "Degree Symbols" in general please feel free to start a thread on whatever set of symbols these that you have presented are actually taken from...but they are not "Sabian Symbols" and as this particular thread, that I initiated, is specifically about those "Sabian Symbols", would you mind terribly if you will please delete your post and refrain from posting in threads specifically addressed to the "Sabian Symbols" in the future...or at least those threads so labeled that I initiated, thank you.

In addition might I suggest that you get a book on the Sabian Symbols, and familiarize yourself with them. You will eventually realize that there is no substitute set superior or even the equal of the set of degree symbols known specifically as the "Sabian Symbols" ...and I strongly addvise considering using only those published by Marc Edmond Jones or those of Dane Rudhyar...whom was given permission and approval by Marc Edmond Jones [the astrologer that first ascertained them with the help of a most qualified clairvoyant, Elsie Wheeler.] to publish his own analyses of the 360 symbols and to alter the imagery of those He felt necessary to better the understanding.
Personally, I find Dane's work to be far superior to that of Mr. JOnes... but that is just imho.
...again, thank you for understanding.... hopefully
ptv

Why the label "Sabian"? :unsure:

Chrysalis

Piercethevale

My Mercury shares the same Sabian symbol as your Pluto. My moon shares the same Sabian symbol as your mars.

Your thread """Sprite, Faerie, or Deva Photos". I'll be having a look at these. Thanks for sharing.

piercethevale

Hi can I clarify, that say you have a planet at degree 1, you would read sabian symbol 2, because sabians start at 0?

Read my thread, it's a "Sticky", titled "Understanding the enumeration of the degrees", Here's the link, https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39119

......yet, to put it simply, and save you the trouble, yes, one should "round up".
But that isn't the kind of answer a professor of any science class would find acceptable, as it is a "cop out" as to demonstrating a true understanding of the subject matter.
There are thirty degrees to every Sign and the beginning of any Sign is at 00* 00' 01" and that Sign culminates at 30* 00' 00".

There is no such thing as 00* 00' 00", as that doesn't exist. What occurs before 00* 00' 01" is the 30* 00' 00" of the previous sign.

Thus the first degree of any Sign is from 00* 00' 01" to 01* 00' 00", inclusive,

piercethevale

Why the label "Sabian"? :unsure:

That's what Marc Edmond Jones chose to call them.

He didn't trademark the name most likely for the reason that he never thought that such a thing would be necessary.

But then again neither are such terms as the ''English Alphabet" or "Arabic Numerals'' and if I were, for an example, to start posting that the following is the "English Alphabet", #%&*~/\, or, for another example, that the following are the "Arabic Numerals",:whistling::w00t::biggrin::tongue:, would they then be just as valid?

But as to the truth of the matter, it has something to do with Marc's knowledge of a very ancient, and lost, culture that knew of these symbols but they were lost when that society vanished. I have spent a bit of time, when I have the chance, to further my own knowledge pertaining to this subject, but haven't gotten very far with it...mainly for the reason the internet has very little to offer on the subject...and I don't have that much time left to me to spend on the matter.

I could have done the research on the on the matter as to come to an understanding of as to who, what, where, when, and why Marc was involved in the study of but to be honest, as I know that these symbols are valid, and that they do work, that is all I really need to know. Just as I haven't studied the origins of language and philology etc. to feel confident enough to write, or speak, a sentence or two,...or to write a book or give an hour long speech, in the English language, as I know that people will understand what I have written or am saying. ...at least well enough to understand the gist of what I try to get across...as the subject of English and grammar where two subjects I hated in school.

But, I think that serves as an excellent example as for the reason I never studied astrology in the "Traditional" school of astrology...yet, I was able to produce the birth chart of Yeshu'a/Jesus without having done so...and I recognized it for what it is...and has a single astrologer so schooled in the "Traditional" school of astrology yet come forth and declared that they can see it too, for what it is, and why?

So, what does all that tell you?

There is someone presently alive on earth that has far greater potential to straighten out what all is wrong with "Traditional Astrology", perhaps someone that has thoroughly studied "Traditional Astrology"...who knows it all from A to Z. ...and I so truly pray that that "someone" does eventually come along, cause it ain't me.

You must trust me as for what I have presented and demonstrated that does work, and the same as to what doesn't work, up to this time. ...and be oh so wary of those that try to dissuade you.

It is possible that there is someone alive presently that knows everything there is to know about how astrology truly woks, knows the Sabian Symbols are verace and is capable of phenomenal results in utilizing it... but... where is that person, and if such a person is presently alive are they going to come and out themselves and reveal to everyone else their knowledge?

...My assumption is, that if so, they likely won't...because the world as it presently is ...is a desperate place and everyone is trying to get a leg up on everyone else. It is presently a "dog eat dog" world.

I share everything. I keep nothing for an advantage because I am a servant of God...and God would like to see that no one has such an advantage over anyone else.

Last edited:

piercethevale

Piercethevale

My Mercury shares the same Sabian symbol as your Pluto. My moon shares the same Sabian symbol as your mars.

Your thread """Sprite, Faerie, or Deva Photos". I'll be having a look at these. Thanks for sharing.

You have been most gracious in correspondence and have demonstrated to me the nature of a person that has the potential to truly reach a level of greatness in this field... far greater than I can ever hope to yet achieve myself.

May God speed...and may those angels continue to guide and be of assistance to you. [...I know that they will too, so long as you dedicate yourself to being of help to humanity. I have been the recipient of angelic intervention a number of times. I'm not just "talking out of my hat", either, as the saying goes. I watched as adversaries h*ll bent on my destruction were scattered before me, repelled, and sent fleeing immediately after I prayed for such a thing to happen. Don't ever lose that faith.]

May Eternal Light and Love be thine.
ptv

Ukpoohbear

Read my thread, it's a "Sticky", titled "Understanding the enumeration of the degrees", Here's the link, https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39119

......yet, to put it simply, and save you the trouble, yes, one should "round up".
But that isn't the kind of answer a professor of any science class would find acceptable, as it is a "cop out" as to demonstrating a true understanding of the subject matter.
There are thirty degrees to every Sign and the beginning of any Sign is at 00* 00' 01" and that Sign culminates at 30* 00' 00".

There is no such thing as 00* 00' 00", as that doesn't exist. What occurs before 00* 00' 01" is the 30* 00' 00" of the previous sign.

Thus the first degree of any Sign is from 00* 00' 01" to 01* 00' 00", inclusive,

Ok thank you for clarifying and for providing the explanation which provides a truer understanding.

piercethevale

Here's another example from my own natal chart as to how these Sabian Symbols relate to ones natal planets.

The position of Uranus in my natal chart is at 15* Cancer 18' 57". I learned of this back when my brother introduced me to astrology in 1984. Although He also introduced me to the Sabian Symbols at the same time, making me well aware of what the Sabian Symbol for my natal Pluto was, as that was the "deal maker"... and He knew it would be, as for the anecdote I wrote of above... the Sabian Symbol for my natal Uranus, in the 16th degree of Cancer didn't really seem to be relevant to anything about me in particular...except in a rather obscure way, but I didn't place so much importance on Uranus, it wasn't angularly placed, I had not yet recognized its significance being in my 8th house, nor did I understand the implications of it being in such a trine aspect to my natal Asc.
All of that would come years later.

It was not until after I had produced the natal chart for Yeshu'a/Jesus when I derived all the Astrological Parts from it that I knew forumlae for... for the reason that the few that i had concerned myself with up to that time had all produced significant Sabian Symbols so obviously pertinent to the subject matter the Parts were concerned with and the known events that took place in the Nazarenes' life... that I thereafter derived all the Astrological Parts for my own natal chart and everyone elses natal chart whom was of more than just a passing interest.

When I found that the Part of Hidden Identity, aka Part of Oration [Asc. + Saturn - Moon] derived from my natal chart happens to be at 15* Cancer 21' 23", and thus conjunct with and shares the same Sabian Symbol also, with my natal Uranus that I took a real interest in both Uranus and that particular Astrological Part ...as for the Sabian Symbol given for the 16th degree of Cancer, according to Rudhyar is [ibid.]

"CANCER 16°: A MAN STUDYING A MANDALA IN FRONT OF HIM, WITH THE HELP OF A VERY ANCIENT BOOK. "

Why would this seem so profound to me, you might ask?

Well, if you will consider that the title Dane Rudhyar chose for his book on the Sabian Symbols is "AN ASTROLOGICAL MANDALA"... and the title of the aforementioned Part being "Hidden Identity" and aka "Oration" ... and what I've doing here in this forum, the last thirteen years.

I've also found Uranus to be the most profoundly influential planet regarding astrological effect on myself since then... none of which was apparent to me until I was about 52 yeas of age.

Humanitarian

I keep forgetting how this works. If I have a planet at 10 degrees, 52 minutes Taurus, which Sabian symbol interpretation do I use:

10 Taurus: A red cross nurse

or

11 Taurus: A woman sprinkling flowers

thanks
11 Taurus, unless the exact degree is 10.00000000... Taurus, because Sabian degrees are ordinal, zodiac degrees are cardinal, so cardinal degree (zodiac degree) plus one equals to ordinal degree (Sabian degree)

Ukpoohbear

I’m grateful to PhoenixVenus who, when I first came across Sabian Symbols years ago, one of the first things she told me was the rule about using the next number up from your natal degree sign to get the correct Sabian symbol. 👌

Humanitarian

I’m grateful to PhoenixVenus who, when I first came across Sabian Symbols years ago, one of the first things she told me was the rule about using the next number up from your natal degree sign to get the correct Sabian symbol. 👌
Yep, as you need to round up all the numbers to get the right Sabian Symbol, like what Stacey (PhoenixVenus) said.
P/S: I know her name because of her YouTube channel.

sdh3

Yep, as you need to round up all the numbers to get the right Sabian Symbol, like what Stacey (PhoenixVenus) said.
P/S: I know her name because of her YouTube channel.
I'd be interested to watch some of her videos. can you share a link to that channel? Thnx🙏