Crows signify death???

ariesgurl

Any of you believe that crows mean impending death? I've grown up believing this superstition as have generations of my family but never really experienced it until recently. Now I'm wondering if it's true or just me playing into the story!

Anyhow, I've been living in my current home for just a little over a year and Ive never had crows constantly in my yard or in my area. We have quite a few trees around us so you would think it would attract crows but we get the odd few who come and go fairly quickly and don't make much noise....last week/weekend I started noticing multiple crows in my yard, in the trees and on my roof and they would keep cawing. It was too the point where it was so loud and frequent that I was getting quite annoyed and even commented about it to other people. Im not too sure about the sleep cycle of birds but usually by 7pm they are pretty scarce and the fact that I had crows crowing on my roof at 9pm and later was quite puzzling.

I continued to notice this for a few days and then all of a sudden this past Tuesday they disappeared and I have not seen them since. Not a single crow and not a single sound. It's back to the way it's been for the past year.

The day they disappeared is the day we got a phone call informing us that my hubby's great grandma had past away!

I've been thinking about the whole thing ever since and have been wondering if this superstition really is true. Any of you out there experience this before? I'd like to know what your opinions on the topic are!

I am also wondering that if it is true, then why did the crows come to me? She didn't live with me, she wasn't even in the same country. I wasn't close to her, I barely knew her and from what my hubby says he wasn't too fond of her so the connection can't be through him!?!?

Ariesgurl

eedwards

Crows...or birds of any kind...are bad luck when they are trying to come into your life, (e.g hitting windows of your home, coming through doors, etc.). I can vouch for this from personal experience. Irish heritage here...

dr. farr

Crows got their reputation (symbolically) because they were connected with Saturn (and therefore Saturn affinities) in the ancient times. I personally reject this categorical association of crows with Saturn (although I do consider there can be such an association), and I take a much wider outlook regarding omenology, and I always include the circumstances in totality, in which an omen occurs.

*emma*

Banned
I personally have rejected all the myths superstitions around birds and other stuff

They are fear based so I have no time for them.

Now I hear a crow and I think, its a crow crowing I see a Magpie in my garden and think what a beautiful colour their tail is

Life is too short to be superstitious and fearful

eedwards

I personally have rejected all the myths superstitions around birds and other stuff

They are fear based so I have no time for them.

Now I hear a crow and I think, its a crow crowing I see a Magpie in my garden and think what a beautiful colour their tail is

Life is too short to be superstitious and fearful

I grew up in an extremely superstitous family and never believed any of it. The last two *unexpected* deaths in my family were preceded by birds trying to fly through windows in both my home and office. I was at work talking to a co-worker about some recent deaths in my family when a bird smacked into the window. I laughed and said that it couldn't be a warning for me as I had just lost three family members...I was wrong. I now believe there is *something* to it.

bubuza_dulce

I grew up in an extremely superstitous family and never believed any of it. The last two *unexpected* deaths in my family were preceded by birds trying to fly through windows in both my home and office. I was at work talking to a co-worker about some recent deaths in my family when a bird smacked into the window. I laughed and said that it couldn't be a warning for me as I had just lost three family members...I was wrong. I now believe there is *something* to it.

I'm thinking maybe this symbol arrives in the life of someone who can associate it with a specific event? You said you knew this association because of your Irish heritage. For example I thought ravens symbolise wisdom. I wouldn't associate crows with something unpleasant. So maybe the Universe sends a certain symbol only to someone who can understand it (and so the meaning can change)?

eedwards

I'm thinking maybe this symbol arrives in the life of someone who can associate it with a specific event? You said you knew this association because of your Irish heritage. For example I thought ravens symbolise wisdom. I wouldn't associate crows with something unpleasant. So maybe the Universe sends a certain symbol only to someone who can understand it (and so the meaning can change)?

Great point! I suppose it's like divination, dream analysis, etc.. Every persons interpretation of symbols may be different but they learn to use those personal symbols to interpret events. I was brought up hearing that birds trying to enter the home fortell death...I didn't believe it but definitely knew what it was supposed to represent. Two birds tried to enter places where i was at and two deaths took place within a weeks time. It's hard for me not to believe after experiencing it. Now...some of the other superstitions my family was strict about...I have no idea why.

Don't laugh in bed or you will cry before supper
It's bad luck to sing at the dinner table
You have to exit through the same door from which you entered

The list goes on but I am sure there is a reason these superstitions came to be in the first place.

Last edited:

vlsmercury7

I live near a church with path that runs through gravestones on both sides. Every morning, there are several crows. I'm not really superstitious, but some time ago when I was living in a different house, a friend of my husband's committed suicide. At the time his hair was thinning and he had a distinctive bald spot. A while after he passed away, my husband would see a lone crow on the lawn. This crow had precisely the same bald spot on its head. My husband felt that it was the man's soul reincarnated in bird form. The day my husband said to the bird "I forgive you", the crow flew away and was never seen again. Co-incidence, or was the bird the reincarnated form of my husband's old friend? Spooky, but true :alien:

Caro

I think birds can be messengers from the gods. depending on the bird and your association with it.

I see crows as magic. ravens as protective. owls as bringing in wisdom.
robins always bring me joy and remind me to smile.

however I have also seen a lot of crows and ravens in an area near a prison. there is a lot of darkness in this area. Prison next door to a hospital. a lot of darkness in both of these places. the birds are there as a warning.

bubuza_dulce

Don't laugh in bed or you will cry before supper
It's bad luck to whistle at the dinner table
You have to exit through the same door from which you entered

The list goes on but I am sure there is a reason these superstitions came to be in the first place.

I agree with them being first associated with a real situation. So, maybe, don't do them as not to vibrate on a level that is connected with more serious and unwanted events?

miquar

Hi eedwards. That's quite an extreme family take on superstition, or perhaps I should say its something that I'd usually associate with pre-industrial society.

I do believe that sometimes omens appear in this way, though I'm uncomfortable with the idea that the Universe decides to reduce the life of a bird to kamikaze messenger. I know someone whose family all start dreaming about fish when baby has been conceived in the family.

I think divination is such a broad and often subtle thing.

I'd be interested to see your chart to see how the superstitious family theme is reflected in it. But no pressure obviously.

miquar

I live near a church with path that runs through gravestones on both sides. Every morning, there are several crows. I'm not really superstitious, but some time ago when I was living in a different house, a friend of my husband's committed suicide. At the time his hair was thinning and he had a distinctive bald spot. A while after he passed away, my husband would see a lone crow on the lawn. This crow had precisely the same bald spot on its head. My husband felt that it was the man's soul reincarnated in bird form. The day my husband said to the bird "I forgive you", the crow flew away and was never seen again. Co-incidence, or was the bird the reincarnated form of my husband's old friend? Spooky, but true :alien:

That's proper spooky!

ariesgurl

I too grew up in an extremely superstitious family so that's what makes me question if it's real or just something I'm believing because that's what I have been told to believe....

dr. farr

We can't just take a "given", as valid, until we have personally investigated it and at least tried to "test it out"-this goes just as much for astrological matters, as it does for omens and (so-called) "superstitions"...

Inline

I think birds can be messengers from the gods. depending on the bird and your association with it......

I see crows as magic. ravens as protective. owls as bringing in wisdom.......

The indians in our area believe that an owl is a sign of death; and that crows are the reincarnation of old souls.

When my father was dying, a few weeks before his death a very, large owl appeared in his garden and sat on the lawn staring at his house for days. We'd never seen the owl before. After my father died, i was telling my cousin about the strange owl, when he looked surprised and told me about an owl he'd met, around the same time my father was dying.

He was mountain climbing alone in Patagonia and got caught in a snow storm. For protection he hid in a mountain cave but after a few hours he started to become weak & cold. He drifted in & out of sleep and thought he was dying. Then he woke up and there was a large owl sitting at the door of the cave looking at him. It stayed there until the storm passed.:innocent:

Caro

Owls are often portrayed in that way and in certain cultures they are linked to death.

I think of two recent films. Biutiful and A single man - where the owl appears and you know death is on the cards and you know death is on the cards.

In Italy in Amalfi - there are owl souvenirs everywhere apparently you give an owl to someone to act as a look out.

in Greek legends associated with wisdom. (Athena carried an owl)

In a recent discussion with a Tibetan, their country sees this as an icon that is watchful at night/and can see in the night.. (This last one sits well with me) I see owls all the time in my meditations.

Just as an aside Florence Nightingale kept a pet owl.

anoop.indirapuramghazibad

In my opinion, any event, which is not normal, if giving you insight happiness, then expect some good news, or if that sudden abnormal event gives you some sort of shock or sadness, then it means differently, some bad news may come.

dr. farr

An advanced ancient look at omens and their indications, is Varahamihira's "Brihat Samhita" (2 volumes), from the period 500 AD...

wintersprite1

Premium Member
picture.php

I am wondering if the plural classification of a murder of crows comes from superstition, coincidence, experience with spiritual, or just they look ominous in groups.

(since we have many members that English is the 2nd language, an interpretation of the picture: When 3 or more crows are together it is called a murder of crows.... like we say a pack of dogs, a gaggle of geese, or a pride of lions. So only 2 crows are attempting to make a murder)

TK

*emma*

Banned

i grew up with my dad who was superstitious my mother was more down to earth, guess which one was always right, yup mum

{Deleted comment by moderator}

Last edited by a moderator: