In What Sign is Chiron Domiciled?

Bunraku

Did you know?
CS spends his time healing others, because when he heals others he heals himself. He talks about feelings a lot. And he loves to be of service to others and spends his time working for free. In his 10th house shows he feels it is his destiny to do so, and in Libra, shows how much he truly cares about others feelings.

This is simply such an amazing discovery. It describes him so well. :love:

Bunraku

Knowing a planet or planetary body's Ruler is important in astrology.

Knowing where a sign is domiciled has been done since the beginning of astrology, mixing myths with the skies. Traditional/Modern Rulers now co-mingle.

It helps with delineating a chart & interpreting more clearly.

Over time & consensus, the astrology community have established Rulership over the :sun::moon::mercury::venus::mars::jupiter::saturn::uranus::neptune::pluto:
& this knowledge has helped with our understanding of astrology.

Eventually, over time, Chiron will be given a Ruler....as will Ceres, BML, etc.

One never stops learning in astrology if you want to take it seriously!

I stopped learning astrology past 700 C.E. It was simply too much at my age.

Bunraku

This one doesn't have dramatized descriptions yet like Scorpio, so it will probably take a few more years for it to reach the status of planets like venus. But I think this is too victimy of a planet even for those fan of the Scorpio descriptions, and not in a cool way either, but in a lame matronly way, not cool like a 20 y/o something in a YA novel.

I give chiron 3/10. 3 because it managed to fool everyone.

david starling

Apps, this 12/12 system isn't a hodgepodge grab-bag, anything goes, whatever-you-want Rulership method. It's based on carefully thought-out patterns, which led to the final result. And, I'm not saying it's the "only right way" to look at a chart.

At least we agree that the Sun is domiciled in Leo!

Chiron might well be domiciled in Sagittarius, which would completely change all of the other designations, so that's a crucial decision. For me, it depends entirely on which of the two centaur constellations was originally meant to depict him.

Last edited:

AppLeo

Carefully thought out patterns... I have no idea how those patterns work. From the outside, it looks random.

waybread

Chiron and Sagittarius: both centaurs.

Chiron shows us "where it hurts," but where, if we stay open to those hurts, we gain in wisdom and compassion.

Chiron was probably the centaur of Sagittarius.

Jupiter rules Sagittarius and wisdom.

Trouble is, astronomical Chiron is a combo asteroid and comet. Not a planet.

Opal

Premium Member
Lantero, says the astrologers studying it, despite its placement, believe it does not have a domicile.

They say it acts like a planet, they call it a Planet, but only permit a 1 degree orb.

Opal

Premium Member
There are those that have tried to fit him into Virgo, Scorpio, Sagittarius and Ophiucus, the latter covers all of those in the expanse of the sky. But, most agreed upon the Centaurus, where he was placed 9 days after his death.

Ronlof

Chiron’s energy is closer to Scorpio/Sagittarius than Virgo. Chiron, like all Centaurs, ultimately deals with connection and transformation of energies. Chiron in particular is the link between Saturn and Uranus. Chiron is less of a planet than Ceres and honestly given slightly more importance than necessary over Ceres. If you’re too focused on fitting Chiron into the archetype of actual planets, you should continue your research and look at how some other Centaurs function within the chart (Chiron isn’t even the largest of the bunch) and begin integrating them, and even Kuiper Belt Objects, into your work to cultivate deeper understanding. There are plenty of career astrologers who have done a lot of the leg work to delineate the meaning of these other placements.

Opal

Premium Member
Chiron’s energy is closer to Scorpio/Sagittarius than Virgo. Chiron, like all Centaurs, ultimately deals with connection and transformation of energies. Chiron in particular is the link between Saturn and Uranus. Chiron is less of a planet than Ceres and honestly given slightly more importance than necessary over Ceres. If you’re too focused on fitting Chiron into the archetype of actual planets, you should continue your research and look at how some other Centaurs function within the chart (Chiron isn’t even the largest of the bunch) and begin integrating them, and even Kuiper Belt Objects, into your work to cultivate deeper understanding. There are plenty of career astrologers who have done a lot of the leg work to delineate the meaning of these other placements.

I agree with most of what you say, I am reading Erminie Lantero’s book right now, and the astrologers you speak of, talk of how in a very small orb, it behaves as a planet. They don’t call it one, they treat it as one. So far, I am preferring Lantero’s approach and writing to Clow’s. Although, for most readers, I think that Clow’s format would be more endearing. Lantero delves into the myth’s and history more, and I like her style of writing.

Ronlof

I agree with most of what you say, I am reading Erminie Lantero’s book right now, and the astrologers you speak of, talk of how in a very small orb, it behaves as a planet. They don’t call it one, they treat it as one. So far, I am preferring Lantero’s approach and writing to Clow’s. Although, for most readers, I think that Clow’s format would be more endearing. Lantero delves into the myth’s and history more, and I like her style of writing.
Regardless, Chiron does not even act like a planet when looking at it in charts. Like all Centaurs, Chiron crosses the orbits of other planets and links those energies together. No actual planet does that. Centaurs describe the process through which the energies of the planets they link are transmuted. Calling it a planet or not does not change how it operates in the chart.

I will have to look into Erminie Lantero and Clow’s work to cross reference it with other astrologers to determine what is the most general. I have not read anything by Lantero or Close yet, but the dozens of other I have read have come to the same consensus.

Last edited:

waybread

I think Chiron has real meaning in a chart, but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a sign ruler without much more research into how it works as a house cusp ruler (lord.)

I am not into New Age evolutionary astrology. I take a much more pragmatic approach. I think Chiron shows us "where it hurts," more or less permanently, which might be physical, emotional, or spiritual. But Chiron also shows where, if we stay open to those hurts, we can gain in wisdom and compassion for other people.

Mythological Chiron was tutor to gods and heroes, and excelled in medical arts. He accidentally wounded himself with an incurable poison.

If we take mythological Chiron (Kheiron) to be the centaur memorialized in Sagittarius, we have some interesting findings.

The constellation Ophiuchus never made it into the 12-sign zodiac, but it is right in this vicinity of the constellations Scorpio and Sagittarius. Ophiuchus, depicted as a man holding two snakes, was also ascribed to the demi-god Asclepius. Asclepius was the son of Apollo, another healing god, who subsequently became assimilated with Phoebus, the sun god, and sort of overtook the latter's role.

Aesclepius was a doctor the god of healing, and father to several goddesses (like Hygeia), who were also associated with healing and health. He was probably the Greek edition of an Egyptian deified doctor, Imhotep.

A big connection is the constellation Ophiuchus as Asclepius. In Greek art, Asclepius was depicted with a staff entwined with two snakes. This became the caduceus symbol of the medical profession.

Back then, astrologers used the sidereal zodiac. Today the locations of the tropical signs of Scorpio and Saggittarius would be about 24 degrees different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asclepius

https://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/Asklepios.html