Question about astrological ages and equinox procession

Artisgood

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right spot but I'm looking for some insight. I am an artist and graphic designer and I would like to do a project on the age of Aquarius. While I understand the exact dates are heavily disputed as to when the age of Aquarius starts or started I'm looking for symbols that would be appropriate to include in my design. I'm familiar with the symbols used for Aquarius and I'm also aware that different types of planet positions have corresponding symbols (square, trine, etc), what I'm looking for is a symbol for procession of the equinox or a symbol representing an astrological age. Any information regarding the other planetary configurations for the age of Aquarius would be appreciated. I'm very much an astrology novice. Thanks!

miquar

Hi. There aren't any planetary configurations connected the Age of Aquarius, because the precession of the equinoxes against the background of apparently fixed stars is something which stands apart from planetary positions within the solar system.

Precession is experienced from Earth as the revolution of the entire celestial sphere around the Earth, so there is no object on the celestial sphere to measure this against. But precession is measured against the line of intersection between the equatorial plane and the ecliptic plane. This line meets the celestial sphere at the vernal point and the anti-vernal point. The former is the point occupied by the Sun at the March equinox; the latter the point occupied by the Sun at the September equinox.

Because of precession, at each successive March equinox, the Sun occupies a different position relative to the background of stars. During the so-called Age of Aquarius, the Sun will be in the sidereal sign of Aquarius at each March equinox, because the vernal point will be passing through this sidereal sign. The sidereal signs were originally unequal constellations, and so perhaps one approach you could take would be to show the Sun rising with the Aquarius constellation still visible just behind it. In the foreground you could use some kind of ancient stone structure that might be used to determine the moment of the March equinox - a Stone Henge type of thing.

A symbolic portrayal of the start of the Age of Aquarius would have the Sun at the end of this constellation, because the Age of Aquarius follows the Age of Pisces (the sign which comes 'after' Aquarius). This could be convenient for you in that the whole of the Aquarius constellation would have just risen above the horizon as the Sun appears. Obviously the stars disappear before the Sun appears, so some artistic license would be required. But I can't think of anything else that captures what it is that defines the Age of Aquarius as distinct from other periods.

Very convoluted - sorry - but thought a bit of background might be useful to see why that image would be relevant.

Artisgood

Thank you, your response was very helpful in that it confirmed the design I had in mind. I want this to be more of a graphic design rather than a traditionally composed art piece. So simple and clean. I was thinking a sun with the Aquarius symbol worked in, something most common people will recognize.

The "Jesus" fish symbol also interests me in this manner in that it is very widespread and while I understand the Christian meaning I find it compelling that the age if Pisces could so highly regard this fish symbol. The idea behind my project is that it's time for the world to move to next age, to evolve in humanitarian understanding, and to rediscover our ancient history and all the knowledge that we've forgotten in our quest to attain material satisfactions. Time to "break the illusions" (very Piscean, not that I'm picking in Pisces, I'm a Pisces). So it doesn't matter to my project if the age of Aquarius is real or has started or not, it's value is in the idea, not the literal event.

miquar

The estimated start dates for the age of Aquarius vary by many centuries, but yes the notion of the dawning Aqe of Aquarius has become well known, and certain recent changes in the way human beings see themselves and relate to one another have been attributed to this.

JUPITERASC

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right spot but I'm looking for some insight. I am an artist and graphic designer and I would like to do a project on the age of Aquarius.

While I understand the exact dates are heavily disputed
as to when the age of Aquarius starts
or started

I'm looking for symbols that would be appropriate to include in my design. I'm familiar with the symbols used for Aquarius and I'm also aware that different types of planet positions have corresponding symbols (square, trine, etc), what I'm looking for is a symbol for procession of the equinox or a symbol representing an astrological age. Any information regarding the other planetary configurations for the age of Aquarius would be appreciated. I'm very much an astrology novice. Thanks!

The major issue is that zodiacal constellations are not uniform in size
so it's always debateable
as to exactly when
or at precisely what time
a new astrological age begins :smile:

'…..Roughly every 2,150 years the sun's position at the the vernal equinox will have moved into a new zodiacal constellation.

BUT

zodiacal constellations are not uniform in size,
leading some astrologers to believe that the corresponding ages should also vary in duration.
This however is a contentious issue amongst astrologers.

In 1929 the International Astronomical Union defined the edges of the 88 official constellations.

The edge established between Pisces and Aquarius technically locates the beginning of the Aquarian Age around 2600 AD.

Many astrologers dispute this approach
because of the varying sizes of the zodiacal constellations
and overlap between the zodiacal constellations
.....'

'…..The approximate 2,150 years for each age
corresponds to average time taken for the vernal equinox to move from one constellation into the next.
This can be computed by dividing earth's 25,800 year gyroscopic precession period by twelve
the number of Zodiac constellations used by astrologers.
Astrologers disagree on when Aquarian age will start
and even if it has already started.
According to different astrologers' calculations, approximated dates for entering Age of Aquarius range from 1447 AD (Terry MacKinnell) to 3597 (John Addey).

Nicholas Campion in The Book of World Horoscopes
lists various references from mainly astrological sources for the start of the Age of Aquarius.....'

'….Based on research by Nicholas Campion
most published material states Age of Aquarius arrived in 20th century (29 claims)
with 24th century in second place with twelve claimants

Astrological ages exist because of precession of the equinoxes.
Slow wobble of earth's spin axis on the celestial sphere
is independent of diurnal rotation of Earth on own axis and annual revolution of the earth around the sun.
25,800-year-long cycle is traditionally calibrated for determining astrological ages
by the location of sun in one of twelve zodiac constellations at vernal equinox
which is moment sun rises above celestial equator
marking annual start of spring in Northern hemisphere....'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Aquarius

miquar

But even if we consider sidereal signs, since there is no astronomical basis for locating the sidereal zodiac around the ecliptic, dozens of sidereal zodiacs have been proposed - each with 12 equal signs.