Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Houses & cusps

Houses & cusps For discussions on houses and house cusps (i.e. planets on angles, house stelliums and so on)

Unread 10-17-2021, 04:53 AM

Do you guys use placidus or whole sign for natal charts?

which is more reliable?

Especially if we are trying to figure out themes of a Saturn return.

Unread 10-17-2021, 06:55 PM

Re: Do you guys use placidus or whole sign for natal charts?

Yea I wonder that too a lot because sometimes your planets go to the next house. I heard whole signs is more reliable because everything starts at 0, and a lot of professional astrologers use it. My chart doesn't change in whole signs except Pluto. I like using whole signs in Persona charts sometimes. I would use both because some people relate more when the planet goes to the next house. My Pluto is in the 9th house but it goes to the 10th house in whole signs and I definitely relate more to Pluto in the 10th house.
Unread 10-17-2021, 08:40 PM

I think you may best make that determination by experimenting with your own chart.
And you can do that by following transits to the cusp of a house in your chart in the house systems of interest.
Good transits to follow and then see if you feel/experience their contact to a house cusp are Mars and Sun. Also progressed Moon.

Some more sensitive folks can follow the transiting Moon. Tr Moon’s contact to house cusps happens every few days so you can get a lot of data by following Tr Moon.

I would add that for me, I always look at the house system of my choice along with whole sign houses..

Last edited by IleneK; 10-17-2021 at 08:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IleneK For This Useful Post:
JUPITERASC (10-17-2021), tsmall (11-03-2021)
Unread 10-26-2021, 03:38 AM

I've used both. And for a while, I preferred WS because I think I liked the fact that it pushed a stellium into another house. But I think the Placidus placements are more "me" and ring truer whether I like it or not.
Unread 11-03-2021, 10:12 PM

In my experience, Placidus is useful to determine the accidental strength of the planet. Whole signs can be used topically.
I noticed astrologers who use whole signs tend to use a combination. The math is there...why not use it to your advantage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunraku For This Useful Post:
tsmall (11-03-2021)
Unread 11-04-2021, 12:22 AM

I have often wondered about using whole signs I might have a look and see what difference it makes.
Unread 11-04-2021, 12:26 AM

Usually I would use Placidus. It is very sensitive to timing.

But this is not an asset if the birth time cannot be accurately pinned down. For example, if the birth certificate does not list a time, and Mom says her son was born "around 1:00" which could go 15 or 20 minutes either way (and possibly change the ascendant sign) Placidus can give a fake sense of planets' locations in houses.

Then as Ilene said, just see which system seems like the most accurate representation of your life. Some people respond better to one system or another. For example, Warren Buffet's life history is pretty well known. Placidus doesn't explain it very well, but the whole signs system does.

Astrologer Alice Portman did a lot of research on the British royal family, whose birth times are well known going back centuries. She found their lives were best explained using Regiomontanus.

A big caveat is people born at high latitudes at certain times of year. Quadrant house systems like Placidus look very skewed for people born near the Arctic Circle-- or even sometimes above 55 degrees north. Equal house and whole signs systems at least give you something to work with.

I don't see this is a traditional vs. modern debate, because most of the quadrant house systems were invented before 1700.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
david starling (11-04-2021)

Tags
charts, guys, natal, placidus, sign