Random Thoughts, strictly Text

JUPITERASC

petosiris

Banned
I appreciate your willingness to do cold reading, which I wouldn't do. But no help is required!! It's a question to YOU since you are avidly defending a theory in the abstract, which didn't square with observable physical reality when applied to my own case :)

Maybe I missed some predomination in my quick cold reading. I didn't ask for nationality, which is also important in this matter. Finally, the Ascendant seemed a bit off, and I told you I am going to use the 15 minute earlier birth time. Any of these factors could have affected the infallibility of physical prognostication, which isn't something I strove for necessarily.

petosiris

Banned
Fair enough. Perhaps it would be resolved by using my given birth time, which I’m certain of for various reasons - definitely Libra rising. Does nationality change the size of the eyes?

Not much, but nations near the arctic circles have 20% larger eyes than those from near the equator. That would be warm reading, not cold. :wink:

conspiracy theorist

Yep, the simplistic link between aggression and testosterone might work for rats, but not us.

It puts into perspective an astrological axiom that when Mars predominates for profession that it gears toward leadership and social climbing. According to one astrologer's testing, many of the popes have a prominent Mars.

petosiris

Banned
What's your theory on what inspired the knowledge of astrology?

Not my theory:

''The science of astrology was developed in, most probably, the late 2nd or early 1st century B.C., as a mean to predict, from horoscopic themata draw up for the moment of an individual's birth (or conception), the fate of that native. This form of astrology, called genethlialogy, is rooted in Aristotelean physics and Hellenistic astronomy, but also borrowed much from Mesopotamia and some elements from Egypt as well as developing many theories of its own... All of these types of astrology depend on the notion that the planets, in their eternal rotations about the earth, transmit motion (change) to the four elements and to the assemblages of elements, animate or inanimate, in the sublunar world. This theory is completely different from that of celestial omens, in which the gods, whose physical manifestations are the constellations and planets send messages concerning their intentions regarding kings and countries by means of celestial phenomena.'' - Pingree, D. E. (1997). From astral omens to astrology: from Babylon to Bīkāner

david starling

Not my theory:

''The science of astrology was developed in, most probably, the late 2nd or early 1st century B.C., as a mean to predict, from horoscopic themata draw up for the moment of an individual's birth (or conception), the fate of that native. This form of astrology, called genethlialogy, is rooted in Aristotelean physics and Hellenistic astronomy, but also borrowed much from Mesopotamia and some elements from Egypt as well as developing many theories of its own... All of these types of astrology depend on the notion that the planets, in their eternal rotations about the earth, transmit motion (change) to the four elements and to the assemblages of elements, animate or inanimate, in the sublunar world. This theory is completely different from that of celestial omens, in which the gods, whose physical manifestations are the constellations and planets send messages concerning their intentions regarding kings and countries by means of celestial phenomena.'' - Pingree, D. E. (1997). From astral omens to astrology: from Babylon to Bīkāner

This isn't off thread in the original discussion.

petosiris

Banned
Science was developing rapidly in the Hellenized world. Astronomy/astrology was found to be the method of meteorological prognostication, and the elemental qualities that were observed there were then used for other purposes of state and individual destiny. That is where the fundamentals of astrology were developed, such as the powers of the planets, signs, aspects and angles. The best example from this time period is the work of Claudius Ptolemy - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html It remains the best book on astrology ever written, despite being ridden with errors of the times.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Science was developing rapidly in the Hellenized world. Astronomy/astrology was found to be the method of meteorological prognostication, and the elemental qualities that were observed there were then used for other purposes of state and individual destiny. That is where the fundamentals of astrology were developed, such as the powers of the planets, signs, aspects and angles. The best example from this time period is the work of Claudius Ptolemy - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/home.html It remains the best book on astrology ever written, despite being ridden with errors of the times.

It was developed by rational people, not by space cadets, is my point.