indications for areas of higher study

hypatia

In what way can I look for indications of areas/subjects of higher study in a chart?
* For example, in what way does the sign on the cusp of the 9th house tell you about areas / subjects for that person if doing higher study?
* Similarly, how does the position of Mercury give information on higher study?

Domna

I haven't done a lot of study on this subject so I can only speak from my experience with my own natal chart.

I did seven years of higher education, culminating in a Bachelor's degree in Literature and a Master's in Library and Information Science. In between I studied all sorts of subjects, like Archaeology, Egyptology, Ancient Egyptian, Anthropology, Religion... I loved learning all of that stuff, and I would have loved to keep on studying in perpetuity, if it was financially feasible. Some of the caracteristics of academic research and writing really clash with my nature though... so I had a hard time sometimes with the higher level courses. Theoretical analysis is not my forte, I find it both boring and difficult to merge with my intuitive thinking.

Some indications in my chart:

- Gemini on 9th house cusp, Mercury in 9th = Literary and Library studies. Many different subjects, more interested in superficial knowledge about many things than deep studies into a single subject.
- Mercury in Cancer 9th = Curious about people. Anthropology and Religion studies.
- Virgo Moon sextile and in mutual reception with Mercury = Organisation skills, suited for library work.
- Pluto in Scorpio trine Mercury in Cancer = Interest in history? Wanting to dig deep and uncover ancient mysteries?
- Mars conjunct Mercury = Very practical thinking. Also very assertive and independent thinking... Drawn to studies that have a practical application? Lacking patience for some of the confines and minutia of academic life?
- Neptune in Capricorn 3rd house opposite Mercury = Intuitive thinking. Not suited for analytical writing and using theoretical frameworks.

Domna

And here are some random speculations on 9th house cusps and Mercury placements:

Aries - Engineering, technology, mechanics... something with practical appliance?
Taurus - Agriculture, economics... Design or other creative subject?
Gemini - Literature, languages, journalism, communication, information... Education?
Cancer - Social sciences, psychology, sociology... maybe history? Medicine? Education?
Leo - Political science maybe? Business/commerce?
Virgo - Mathematics, architecture, library science... anything detail oriented.
Libra - Fine arts, law, peace and conflict research... maybe business?
Scorpio - Deep, intensely focused study, regardless of subject. Maybe chemistry, biology, genetics? Neeing to figure out the mysteries of life? Psychology?
Sagittarius - Practical philosophy, theology, ethnology, foreign languages... Foreign exchanges?
Capricorn - Hard sciences. Engineering or mechanical sciences. Maybe business, law or medicine... for the status.
Aquarius - Physics, astronomy, mathematics... Computer science? Or maybe theoretical philosophy, gender studies, history of ideas...
Pisces - Medicine, biology, social sciences? Ecology, climate studies? Veterinary science?