Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 07-11-2019, 10:05 PM
Catherinett Catherinett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
midpoints question

Hi, I just started reading the combination of stellar influences and some examples for midpoints are written like this "Saturn + sun - mars" am I correct in assuming this means that mars is on the midpoint between saturn the sun?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Catherinett For This Useful Post:
katydid (07-12-2019)
  #2  
Unread 07-12-2019, 04:09 AM
katydid katydid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,041
Re: midpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherinett View Post
Hi, I just started reading the combination of stellar influences and some examples for midpoints are written like this "Saturn + sun - mars" am I correct in assuming this means that mars is on the midpoint between saturn the sun?

Thanks in advance
Sun + Saturn= Mars would mean that Mars is at the midpoint between Sun and Saturn.

That is my most indispensable astrology book, by the way.

You can do so much with that book.


Perfect way to interpret aspects in natal charts, and in synastry and to look at transits too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 07-12-2019, 01:01 PM
Catherinett Catherinett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid View Post
Sun + Saturn= Mars would mean that Mars is at the midpoint between Sun and Saturn.

That is my most indispensable astrology book, by the way.

You can do so much with that book.


Perfect way to interpret aspects in natal charts, and in synastry and to look at transits too.
Thanks, my question was about the minus sign. On pages 28/29, he has four examples all with a minus sign on the last planet, like this "Saturn + Uranus - sun" My sister has had two very serious head injuries, trying to prevent a third.

I just finished Bernadette Brady's book on predictive astrology and she referenced this book.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 07-12-2019, 08:08 PM
miquar's Avatar
miquar miquar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North West England
Posts: 3,215
Re: midpoints question

Hi. I think it has to do with the notion of 'half-sums with a common axis' which is discussed on page 22. As far as I can see, it's like Arabian Parts or Lots. For example, the Part of Fortune is found by the equation PoF-ASC=Moon-Sun, therefore PoF=Moon+ASC-Sun.

So the equation Saturn+Uranus-Sun gives you the position of a point on the ecliptic which forms a planetary picture with Saturn, Uranus and the Sun. Three distinct types of planetary picture are defined on pages 21 and 22, and this is an example of type 2).

The best book I have seen on using midpoints in both mundane and psychological astrology is Working with Astrology, by Harding and Harvey.

Best wishes

Miquar
__________________
True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment.

Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks, page 118
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 07-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Catherinett Catherinett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquar View Post
Hi. I think it has to do with the notion of 'half-sums with a common axis' which is discussed on page 22. As far as I can see, it's like Arabian Parts or Lots. For example, the Part of Fortune is found by the equation PoF-ASC=Moon-Sun, therefore PoF=Moon+ASC-Sun.

So the equation Saturn+Uranus-Sun gives you the position of a point on the ecliptic which forms a planetary picture with Saturn, Uranus and the Sun. Three distinct types of planetary picture are defined on pages 21 and 22, and this is an example of type 2).

The best book I have seen on using midpoints in both mundane and psychological astrology is Working with Astrology, by Harding and Harvey.

Best wishes

Miquar
Thanks for the response, I'll check out the other book. Seems to be a theme, one book necessitating another..

I have example 2 on page 23 and it involves four planets, not three. So I'm still not sure how to calculate this, like a lot?

Last edited by Catherinett; 07-13-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 07-12-2019, 09:51 PM
miquar's Avatar
miquar miquar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North West England
Posts: 3,215
Re: midpoints question

Hi. Page 23 gives an example of a 'type 2' planetary picture, which as you say, always has four planets. The positions of these planets measured in celestial longitude from 0 degrees to 360 degrees, (with 0 degrees usually taken to be the first point of Aries of whichever zodiac is being used) fit the formula given. I think that the examples on page 28 are formulas for the position a fourth planet would have to be at to form a 'type 2' planetary picture with the three planets listed in the formula. Does that make sense? I can't think what else those formulas could be about.

Best wishes

miquar
__________________
True freedom and the end of suffering is living in such a way as if you had completely chosen whatever you feel or experience at this moment.

Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks, page 118
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 07-12-2019, 10:01 PM
Catherinett Catherinett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquar View Post
Hi. Page 23 gives an example of a 'type 2' planetary picture, which as you say, always has four planets. The positions of these planets measured in celestial longitude from 0 degrees to 360 degrees, (with 0 degrees usually taken to be the first point of Aries of whichever zodiac is being used) fit the formula given. I think that the examples on page 28 are formulas for the position a fourth planet would have to be at to form a 'type 2' planetary picture with the three planets listed in the formula. Does that make sense? I can't think what else those formulas could be about.

Best wishes

miquar

Possibly, But wouldn't the meaning change depending on the fourth planet? I can't see the meaning remaining constant no matter the fourth planet, surely Venus or Pluto as the fourth would give very different results.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 07-12-2019, 10:02 PM
Catherinett Catherinett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherinett View Post
Possibly, But wouldn't the meaning change depending on the fourth planet? I can't see the meaning remaining constant no matter the fourth planet, surely Venus or Pluto as the fourth would give very different results.
I think I'll have to get the book by Witte to know for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 07-13-2019, 06:51 AM
miquar's Avatar
miquar miquar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North West England
Posts: 3,215
Re: midpoints question

Hi. Yes the fourth planet would make a difference. Let us know what you come up with.

Best wishes

Miquar
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 07-13-2019, 06:53 AM
miquar's Avatar
miquar miquar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North West England
Posts: 3,215
Re: midpoints question

Perhaps it has to do with interpreting the house position of the point - as can be done with the Parts/Lots
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 07-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Catherinett Catherinett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
Re: midpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquar View Post
Perhaps it has to do with interpreting the house position of the point - as can be done with the Parts/Lots
Maybe. Ebertin doesn't seem to care too much about houses but maybe Witte did? Don't know, off to research, I found this: http://junojuno2.tripod.com/witte.htm
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 07-13-2019, 04:22 PM
Catherinett Catherinett is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 69
Re: midpoints question

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquar View Post
Perhaps it has to do with interpreting the house position of the point - as can be done with the Parts/Lots
OK, I think it's an indirect midpoint - the point opposite the midpoint.

"'Indirect Midpoint'
The point opposite 15 degrees Taurus is 15 Scorpio : this is an indirect midpoint.
In fact, it is common to use all indirect midpoints at 45 or even 22.5 degree intervals.
Indirect midpoints carry nearly the same energy as a direct midpoint. "
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 07-15-2019, 05:28 AM
miquar's Avatar
miquar miquar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North West England
Posts: 3,215
Re: midpoints question

Hi. I don't see how that formula could refer to a midpoint. The midpoint of two factors is found by by adding the celestial longitudes and dividing by two. Sometimes this gives you the direct midpoint and sometimes the indirect midpoint.

Best wishes

Miqiar
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
midpoints, question

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.