Are my career choices shown in my chart?

waybread

Pisces13, are you basing your two choices now on what you love to do and have some evidence that you're good at it, or reading your chart for clues in a desperate sort of way? The two careers you've suggested are very different!

With your sun in the 8th house, moon conjunct Pluto, and MC ruler Venus in the 9th, I wonder if you enjoy sleuthing, and getting into life's mysteries. You might be good at a career that requires you to be an investigator, researcher, or even auditor. This could be of anything from crime scenes to insurance fraud to academic research.

Does anything like this appeal to you?

You've got a "splash" type of chart, suggesting that you can gather information widely from different areas of life, but that a prolonged single-minded focus may be difficult for you to sustain.

The second house, not the sign of Taurus, rules your personal finances. (This is a common misconception.) The 8th house deals with "shared resources" such as investments and insurance policies, inheritances, and proceeds from one's marriage.

Aquarius is the modern ruler of psychology. A robust 7th house is good for most types of one-on-one relationships, such as professional-client. But I am curious as to how you experience your 7th house Saturn!

Jupiter in the second is sometimes viewed as an asset for one's personal finances, but a cautionary note here is that your Jupiter is retrograde and squaring Mars. Do you feel you have a good track record so far with your money?

Osamenor

Staff member
If it's between those two choices, consider this:

What do you like about law?

What do you like about psychology?

What do you think you would be doing day to day if you were a corporate lawyer?

What do you think you would be doing day to day if you were a psychologist?

What experiences, if any, have you had that match what you expect to do as a corporate lawyer? How did you like them?

What experiences, if any, have you had that match what you expect to do as a psychologist? How did you like them?

Once you've considered all that, we might get some more clues as to how your real career desires might tie in with your birth chart.

Osamenor

Staff member
3) No experiences yet, but want to get some. I'm not in a place, location wise, that's swarming with law firms or psychologists where I can follow someone around and get experience--I live in a fantastic place as you can see.

Experience doesn't just mean work experience. Life experiences also count. Have you had people confide their problems in you? Have you spent days on end reading dry, detailed material? Have you ever negotiated for anything?

Even if there aren't many lawyers or psychologists where you live, it might be possible to contact some people in those fields and ask what their jobs are like. If you're studying in those fields, your professors must have either worked in them themselves or know people who do. Set up an interview, online or by phone if not in person. That would give you a sense of whether your perception of what the job entails is accurate or not, and a better sense of whether it's really what you want to do.

Osamenor

Staff member
I mean that's kinda like asking a future surgeon if they have any experience with operations and prescribing medicine. I've read dry, detailed material before, sure.
A future surgeon wouldn't have any experience doing surgery, no, but they can still have related experience. To be a surgeon, you have to have good hand coordination, attention to detail, and tolerance for long, tedious tasks. You also have to be able to remain calm under pressure and tolerate the sight of blood and hideous wounds. Just your life experiences alone should tell you how well you tolerate the sight of blood, how well you can handle working under pressure, and whether you have the coordination and attention to detail and tolerance for long, tedious tasks.

If you were considering a medical career, it would be wise to volunteer at a hospital--that would tell you if you could really stand caring for sick people. Or, you could become an EMT--that takes just a semester-long class, typically offered at community colleges, and then you start working on an ambulance. That right there would show you if you can handle medical emergencies, and if you really wanted to go to medical school, you could eventually, and your EMT experience would be the kind of work experience they like to see.

You're not considering a medical career, so that doesn't apply, but there are things you can do to get a feel for the fields you're considering. Psychology in particular can be tried out through volunteering--the kind of work psychologists do is often used by non-profit organizations, and they always need volunteers. You can't do the work of a fully qualified psychologist when you're not one, but you can do things in that ballpark. Suicide intervention hotlines, for instance, are staffed by volunteers, and they give you training before putting you out there.

There are also non-profit organizations in the law field, helping out people who can't afford the usual legal fees, doing lots of social justice work. It may not be the same thing as corporate law, but it would provide some sense of what a law career really entails.

Negotiated? No. But I imagine I'll be taught that if I go to law school, I don't think most people just simply have these experiences, you do learn them. (I hope that doesn't sound snappy, it isn't supposed to.)
Law school is mostly academic. So is grad school for psychology. That's a big failure of higher education, IMO: they don't provide the real world experience that you need in order to actually be able to do the job, or even to find out if that job is really right for you. At least, not until the last year or so.

And people do have those experiences in their lives. People who want to be psychologists often get an inkling they'd be good at it when others confide in them on a regular basis. Or else they have lots of experience being therapy clients themselves. In fact, when I took a counseling psychology course as part of my rather eclectic degree plan, one of the requirements was that we all had to have at least one appointment with the college counselor. If you had a problem to work on, it could be about that, and if not, it could just be personal growth counseling, and the professor didn't need to know any details, just that we had that one appointment.

Negotiating is also a life experience. People negotiate with their parents over what they're allowed to do (ie go out for ice cream or stay out later), with their friends over what to do together, with their siblings over who gets to play with what toy or who gets to sit by the window in the car or all kinds of other things that you have to share, with employers over scheduling and pay. You mentioned in another thread that you care for your niece and nephew. Surely you negotiate with their parents over when you take them, what you do with them, things like that.
I do actually want to call some people and ask questions, I've been thinking about that. It might not be a bad idea.
Go for it!:biggrin:

waybread

No way, lol. I would never base my future off a chart. I have wanted to be a corporate lawyer since middle school and psychology has been a big interest since maybe my 2nd year of college after I had a few classes. I like law more, though.

Have you answered your own question, then?

It looks good and fun on tv, but I can't see myself actually going that in real life. Not as a career.
I'm not sure how many auditors, insurance fraud investigators, or academic researchers we see on TV, but OK. If you pursue a law career, see if you enjoy the "who dunnit" or sleuthing aspects of law. With your "splash" chart, somehow I don't see you happily working in the same type of job over your career course, unless it also offers you a lot of in-house variety in what you do.

The law as a body of knowledge is a 9th house matter. The ruler of your MC (career house cusp) is in the 9th together with your P of F, so that's helpful. Litigation is a 7th house matter. As the traditional ruler of Aquarius and angular, Saturn in the 7th is strongly placed in your chart.

I'm actually pretty frugal and good with money--not much of a spender. My Jupiter is actually in my 3rd house, isn't it, though? 3rd house and in Libra.
This is always good to hear. Yes, Jupiter is in your third house and I should have said so, but it is retrograde and heading towards your second house. Many astrologers count a planet within five degrees of a cusp as having its influence felt primarily in the house towards which it is moving.
I just checked the ephemeris, and Jupiter doesn't go direct till it hits 4 degrees Libra. But see how you feel on this one: some astrologers use whole signs houses, which would definitely put your Jupiter in the third.

BTW, with Pluto conjunct moon in the 4th house, you might see how you feel about renovating old houses-- or depth psychology. These might be more avocational interests for you, however.

Last edited: