Overcoming/balancing oppositions in your chart

roz

Hi! I have not been very active here but I thought I'd try again...

I was wondering if people here have any oppositions in their charts and whether you'd have any insight on how those oppositions have played out in your life? Have you managed to "overcome" your oppositions so to speak or balance them out? What houses/signs are they in and have they been significant in your life? Oppositions are difficult(at least they have been for me!) and I'd like to know if it is possible to turn them into an asset? Let me know your thoughts on utilising hard aspects!

I myself have Sun(Leo, 12th) opposition Saturn(Aquarius, 6th, Rx)
Mercury(Rx, Leo, 12th) opposition Saturn(Aquarius, 6th, Rx)
Moon(Sag, 4th) opposition Mars(Gemini, 10th)

I am coming into a Saturn return soon so it would be interesting to know other people's experiences!

or1000

I was wondering if people here have any oppositions in their charts and whether you'd have any insight on how those oppositions have played out in your life? Have you managed to "overcome" your oppositions so to speak or balance them out? What houses/signs are they in and have they been significant in your life? Oppositions are difficult(at least they have been for me!) and I'd like to know if it is possible to turn them into an asset? Let me know your thoughts on utilising hard aspects!

I am coming into a Saturn return soon so it would be interesting to know other people's experiences!

It could be said that Oppositions can brought into balance consciously once you gain an understanding of how each planet works. For instance, Mercury opposite Saturn you may project saturn outwards onto other people in your life. There’ll be a frustration with getting your knowledge out in a way that they understand. Like you’re ‘talking to a brick’? Through your relationships and once you can notice this is something you are doing in the moment, you’ll learn the type of behaviours or thinking style you’ll need to adapt put yourself back into balance and take back the power so to speak.

Last edited:

ElenaJ

The opposition energy can also be relieved if there are other planets in aspect, for example a trine or sextile, that siphons off the opposition, or even a T-square.
Otherwise, the tendency is for a continuous see-saw type of movement, where one wins over the other, then the reverse happens, depending on transits that are triggering.
By themselves, they won't come together and give a neutral or averaged out energy, it will always be two poles seeking dominance.

waybread

I have a bunch of oppositions in my chart, mostly in Aquarius-Leo, but also Saturn in Virgo opposite Mars in Pisces.

I would suggest you study each planet. What does it want? What are its goals? The sign will say something about how the planet operates. The house will indicate the likely area of life where it operates.

Your sun in Leo wants to be self-expressive and out-there. Saturn in Aquarius wants to be cautious and think (air sign) about what you are doing before you plunge into it. Saturn in Aquarius can also seem like other people who are critical of you; or just like a lifelong self-esteem issue. Saturn rules self-discipline, so maybe a good way around this is just to think about where some self-discipline and listening to constructive criticism would actually support your key areas of self-expression.

The 12th house is especially rough on Leo suns. A Leo sun needs to express itself, ideally, with an appreciative audience. But the 12th is the house of "self-undoing." It also rules people who are shut-in in some way.

Interestingly some prominent politicians have 12th house suns (like Joe Biden.) Typically their success comes from aligning with a cause or constituency bigger than themselves. A tenanted 12th-6th house axis has been called a "serve or suffer" lifetime.

So think of how your natural Leo generosity could contribute to less fortunate people. Saturn rules old age, so maybe volunteering (6th house) with seniors? They'll give back a lot of gratitude.

In the 12th house, you get to be the queen in your own castle. Do nice things for yourself at home, like candle light, fresh flowers, and silk nightwear. You might work on a solitary spiritual discipline (Saturn) like meditation or yoga, and try to perfect it.

Moon opposite Mars suggests controlling your temper. I wonder if you are prone to mood swings. Mars rules athletics, so I always think that is a more empowering expression of it than simple annoyance. Have you got a sport (preferably high-impact) that you do or could do? With COVID-19 around now, this might not be your optimum fitness regimen, but you can do what you can for now. Then Saturn can give you some extra self-discipline.

I agree with Elena. You might have a planet or two in a sextile relationship to one planet in an opposition, and a trine to the other one. These favorable aspects are helpers.

roz

Thank you for all the replies!

The opposition energy can also be relieved if there are other planets in aspect, for example a trine or sextile, that siphons off the opposition, or even a T-square.
Otherwise, the tendency is for a continuous see-saw type of movement, where one wins over the other, then the reverse happens, depending on transits that are triggering.
By themselves, they won't come together and give a neutral or averaged out energy, it will always be two poles seeking dominance.

Unfortunately my sun is not making any trines or sextiles, just a square to pluto.. some inconjuncts.. a semisextile.

The other planets do look better though. Mercury is trine moon and sextile Mars. Then there is a trine between Mars and saturn as well. So I guess there is some relief there. Do you think the sun could benefit from the harmonious aspects of Mercury since they are conjunct or is this a stretch?

Asteria77

Hi Roz,
I have alot of oppositions in my chart sun/moon, mercury/moon, venus/ jupiter, scorpio sun - taurus ascendant and the list goes on... I am in my mid 40s and I can assure you that oppositions can have a neautralising energy. Mood swings yep, indecision yep, but within those tugs of war you can find a real balance. Dont overthink it, see the good points. You are able to see things from many different perspectives and you are likely to have an open mind. That's a pretty good deal :)