Opposites Attract and/or Like Attracts Like

bittermoon

So they say 'opposites attract' but also 'like attracts like'... When we look at our natal charts, the 7th house is the one that represents our 'partner'. What we're looking for in a partner, what we attract and what we are attracted to. The 7th house being the opposite of our natal 1st house; our house of self.

Being a Pisces Rising, my 7th house is in Virgo. I can't say I'm romantically attracted to Virgonic types. Not at all. But in my close friendships and business partnerships, there's a lot of Virgo going on. Two of my closest friends are even double Virgos. Opposites obviously attract.

However, I have never dated someone with heavy Virgo influences. So far, just haven't been attracted to one. The funny thing is that now twice in a row, I meet someone and I immediately find them really attractive (not even necessarily on a physical level, but they draw me in in mysterious ways) and I'm not even sure why as in both cases, I didn't even know them. Then I found out they were both Cancer Suns with Scorpio Moons (like myself). My ex-husband is also a Cancer Sun with Scorpio Moon. Is this a coincidence or is there more to this? Do I have some sort of subconsciously operating radar that I just pick them out like that? This is definitely 'like attracts like' but also seems to contradict the 'Opposites Attract' theory.

Does anybody have any theories or opinions on this? Let's discuss.

perhaps you are not taking into account your sun and mars as well as 7th house. Do you have any planets in 7th. Do you want to post your chart?

My 7th is Leo with pluto (well aspected) and uranus chart ruler challenging sun/moon. I do go for strong, independant, authoritive types. With pluto their if they weren't 'strong enough' I would tend to dominate and I really don't want that, being the house of libra I want a true partnership with balance. Sun in taurus, I want someonne as practical as myself, who knows what to do with a 'black and decker',likes gardening, earthly sensual things. Then mars in gemini - has lots of interests, quick witted and likes same hobbies interests I do (5th house)
I supposed you could say we are all looking for similar things, this is just my take on it.

bittermoon

Hello astrologer50. Thank you for your response.

I did not post my chart as I intended it to be more of a general discussion as both 'theories' seem to contradict each other. I also do tend to lean towards being attracted to someone who values and likes similar things (both men I mentioned also have a Gemini Venus. This is just getting too weird). But astrologically speaking, the 7th house is the opposite of the 1st. Complimentary. Now, I don't tend to live by the rules (Sun square Uranus) and am not exactly known for being practical (all water, lacking earth) but I find it curious that I have Virgo on the cusp of 7th and yet, it's perhaps the sign I'm least attracted to (at least romantically).

Last edited:

Geminied

So they say 'opposites attract' but also 'like attracts like'... When we look at our natal charts, the 7th house is the one that represents our 'partner'. What we're looking for in a partner, what we attract and what we are attracted to. The 7th house being the opposite of our natal 1st house; our house of self.

Being a Pisces Rising, my 7th house is in Virgo. I can't say I'm romantically attracted to Virgonic types. Not at all. But in my close friendships and business partnerships, there's a lot of Virgo going on. Two of my closest friends are even double Virgos. Opposites obviously attract.

However, I have never dated someone with heavy Virgo influences. So far, just haven't been attracted to one. The funny thing is that now twice in a row, I meet someone and I immediately find them really attractive (not even necessarily on a physical level, but they draw me in in mysterious ways) and I'm not even sure why as in both cases, I didn't even know them. Then I found out they were both Cancer Suns with Scorpio Moons (like myself). My ex-husband is also a Cancer Sun with Scorpio Moon. Is this a coincidence or is there more to this? Do I have some sort of subconsciously operating radar that I just pick them out like that? This is definitely 'like attracts like' but also seems to contradict the 'Opposites Attract' theory.

Does anybody have any theories or opinions on this? Let's discuss.

I agree. Sagittarius rules my 7th house and I definitely have always attracted Sagittarian types,and they've been attracted to me.

Horus

Traits of the DSC ( for you, Virgo) does not necessarily equate to a Virgo Sun. One planet in this sign might suffice. Anyone remotely organized or practical that can help ground dreamy Pisces might appeal, even if it's just their strong Saturn that's producing that characteristic and they have no Virgo at all.

Because of the disdain I have for my own DSC, I'm inclined to lend more credence to the cusp ruler than to the cusp itself. Yours is in Cancer, mine is in Scorpio.

But there are other forces working to attract certain types. Your Moon (subconscious point of attraction) as well as the 7th Pluto could draw in someone with prominent Scorpio.

I had two gf's in a row who had Virgo Suns and Aqua Moons born on the same day in the same place. Sometimes we get what we need until the lesson is learned; I didn't get it with the first one, but had a profound healing after the 2nd one, and now the Universe sends me other combos (thank God) for the next lessons. And that seems to be Scorpio Moons wherever I look lately. LOL!

Lion o ness

Mine fit who I actually married... My ex husband has a Virgo asc, with Also a Virgo Stellium.. I have Uranus/Pluto in H7.. He had Uranus conjunct Asc (virgo) and Pluto conjunct Sun... So I guess he "fit" with my 7th..

Buttt.. and I do have a strong butt... I didnt really wanna... lol.. I was pressured, and I made bad choices.. I married for the wrong reasons..

I did not feel the draw to him.. He just kind of grew on me after a while...

I have joined som dating websites, that show the persons Sun sign.. Ive noticed I get a lot of messages from Virgos...

What I notice that Im drawn to is 0Pisces... I have NO clue why... that seems to be a soft spot for me.

I did meet a man that was just about my total opposite.. Actually he was a cop and he pulled me over.. Immediate attraction!!!! We exhanged numbers and dated briefly.. Later when I got his info I saw all the planets were in oppositions except for his Moon which was in Leo... Dead on my Mars... LOL At LEAST I didnt get a ticket:joyful:
Here's how it was
me/him
sun= leo/aqua
moon= leo/leo
venus= can/aqua
mars = leo/cap
merc leo/aqua
notice it was a venus/mars oppostion both ways..

Yeah that WAS a very strong attraction... Like WOWOWZZAAA! lol

bittermoon

Maybe Scorpio Moons are in season?! How many of us are out there?

Horus, I am sure you are right about the lessons but I'm at the point where I do not want to get involved with a Scorpio Moon.

It would be nice to meet someone who's a Scorpio Sun with a Cancer Moon for a change. Ya know... to shake things up a bit :)

Horus

Maybe Scorpio Moons are in season?! How many of us are out there?

About a half dozen in my reality right now. Forgot to turn my magnet off darnit.

Horus, I am sure you are right about the lessons but I'm at the point where I do not want to get involved with a Scorpio Moon.

Sometimes we get what we need on a sub or superconscious level, not what we want or think is best on the conscious personality level. The purpose of relationships is growth (and sometimes to balance karma) and that usually requires a little friction or tension. No pain no gain.

Ignoring problems or running away (ala Pisces) from them does not make them go away especially when they reside on the deeper level. Suppression of this sort results in volcanic effects later, especially when a hard Pluto transit comes up, or Venus sq. Pluto dredges them to the surface in a relationship dynamic, and Mr. Wonderful-at-First later mirrors your Shadow back at you.

And/or you just get the same items on the menu. There's obviously some things you need to learn about your own Sun and Moon that's why they're showing up.

It would be nice to meet someone who's a Scorpio Sun with a Cancer Moon for a change. Ya know... to shake things up a bit :)

I know one of those and (BONUS) he has Virgo Rising too! :wink:

Horus

Buttt.. and I do have a strong butt...

Later when I got his info I saw all the planets were in oppositions except for his Moon which was in Leo... Dead on my Mars... LOL At LEAST I didnt get a ticket:joyful:

Here's how it was
me/him

Yeah that WAS a very strong attraction... Like WOWOWZZAAA! lol

ROFL!!! I love you Lioness! You're the life the party!

bittermoon

Scorp Sun, Cancer Moon, Virgo Rising sounds great. But I'm sure there'd be some nasty Saturn-Mars or Venus-Pluto thing going on...

I'm thinking this whole astrology thing has ruined my dating life. There is one who refused to give me his birth info. Very Aquarian type (human rights lawyer, totally into technology) and very secretive. I suspect heavy on Scorpio, too.

Oh life!

Lion o ness

ROFL!!! I love you Lioness! You're the life the party!

LOL... Anytime you need a good laugh!! I got a million +1 stories!

At bittermoon....
I have met a few Scorpio Moon's.. I actually really liked them... I liked the depth.. I find my self attracted to scoprio moon's.

What I have really been noticing lately is Cap placements....
My NN is in Cap so maybe Im "finally" pulling towards it... Also my progressed moon is in Cap...
Only sadly, my Leo gets annoyed really quick,and it goes to no-wheres ville..

bittermoon

Lion o ness... ever been involved with a Scorpio Moon? Haha. I was watching Fatal Attraction again the other night... Scorpio Moon came to mind :)

Lion o ness

Lion o ness... ever been involved with a Scorpio Moon? Haha. I was watching Fatal Attraction again the other night... Scorpio Moon came to mind :)

I have... He was a lil jealous, but I secretly liked it! lol ... But I felt challenged, and I felt I could handle it:wink:

Ironically my worst relationship was with a Cap with a Can Moon Pis Mars... This guy was mean, cruel and demanding!!!!
idk what was thinking...

I think I need to swear of Cancer men (no pun intended to ya) lol

Horus

Scorp Sun, Cancer Moon, Virgo Rising sounds great. But I'm sure there'd be some nasty Saturn-Mars or Venus-Pluto thing going on...

or non astro aspects like 17,000 km away?

I'm thinking this whole astrology thing has ruined my dating life. There is one who refused to give me his birth info. Very Aquarian type (human rights lawyer, totally into technology) and very secretive. I suspect heavy on Scorpio, too.

Oh life!

So go for it and analyze later. Sounds like he'd be good for your NN at the least. :smile:

bittermoon

or non astro aspects like 17,000 km away?

So go for it and analyze later. Sounds like he'd be good for your NN at the least. :smile:

Ah yes, there's a theme there as well. Distance (apparently suits my Aqua Mars, though. Hah!).

Kind of hard to get together with someone who travels as much as I do. Not that it matters. I really can't be tied down at the moment.

virgo18

Oh life!

LOL..... Im sure Astrology also ruined my romantic/dating life. Since I get into it, there are no more surprises, emotion for the unknown, knowing the other person naturally etc etc. I always need to look at the chart of who I am dating.
Fortunately I have good luck when they give me their birth hour. And I always date people who commonly are into astrology... not as me but they are interested in it. They also asked my bh:annoyed:. Maybe they also saw my chart.:w00t:

And returning to the thread... Gemini's like me more than what I like them. I really don't like so much Gemini Sun. I fall more for Earth Suns with strong Mercury. I have only dated 1 gemini sun, and 1 gemini asc... and nothing happened.

Ixaee

Like attracts Like in my case...

My 7th is Aquarius, and I definitely attract those types (not actual aquarius, but very intelligent, unique sort of people who are similar to me -- my beloved oddities) :biggrin:

Hello astrologer50. Thank you for your response.

I did not post my chart as I intended it to be more of a general discussion as both 'theories' seem to contradict each other. I also do tend to lean towards being attracted to someone who values and likes similar things (both men I mentioned also have a Gemini Venus. This is just getting too weird). But astrologically speaking, the 7th house is the opposite of the 1st. Complimentary. Now, I don't tend to live by the rules (Sun square Uranus) and am not exactly known for being practical (all water, lacking earth) but I find it curious that I have Virgo on the cusp of 7th and yet, it's perhaps the sign I'm least attracted to (at least romantically).
having a hugely lopsided chart, practically all your planets move in Equal house (but am sure you already know this :whistling:)

ruler of 7th in 5th suggests you look for a partner that has the same hobbies, interests and perhaps wants to become involved with children, self employment even.

Problem I see is your mars trapped in 12th house, it isn't operate normally, overtly AND is square to neptune (not great). Painful things either ignored ie self‑deception,or hypochondriac type, imaginary things (Neptune) Deceive or be deceived. this suggests difficulty in taking direct action, so maybe you're attracted to more piscean types?

mars square Neptune
http://www.astrologyindepth.com/Mars_square_Neptune
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13104&page=2

In Equal your moon would be conjunct 9th house cusp and could suggest living abroad for some period and attracted to foreiners

mutable on the Angles can suggest multiple partners, do you attract type that overly obsess over details, have a thing about health or hygience, are restless and/or 'worriers' do any of them have stomach problems when stressed or ill? virgo is a typical stomach ulcer kind of sign through worrying and over analysing things...

I have... He was a lil jealous, but I secretly liked it! lol ... But I felt challenged, and I felt I could handle it:wink:

Ironically my worst relationship was with a Cap with a Can Moon Pis Mars... This guy was mean, cruel and demanding!!!!
idk what was thinking...

I think I need to swear of Cancer men (no pun intended to ya) lol
my second husband had scorpio moon and OMG could he sulk, for hours or even days, he was Saggi sun, virgo rising and I have Leo Desc But virgo ruling 8th house, so was great sex :whistling:

plus he was a police dective for 12years (how scoprio is that) and how saggi/police

I have ruler of 7th in 4th and want my partners to become involved with family, it was such a shame my sons/family didn't accept a step dad.

Last edited:

bittermoon

ruler of 7th in 5th suggests you look for a partner that has the same hobbies, interests and perhaps wants to become involved with children, self employment even.

Problem I see is your mars trapped in 12th house, it isn't operate normally, overtly AND is square to neptune (not great). Painful things either ignored ie self‑deception,or hypochondriac type, imaginary things (Neptune) Deceive or be deceived. this suggests difficulty in taking direct action, so maybe you're attracted to more piscean types?

In Equal your moon would be conjunct 9th house cusp and could suggest living abroad for some period and attracted to foreiners

mutable on the Angles can suggest multiple partners, do you attract type that overly obsess over details, have a thing about health or hygience, are restless and/or 'worriers' do any of them have stomach problems when stressed or ill? virgo is a typical stomach ulcer kind of sign through worrying and over analysing things...

Yes, my Mars is a bit of a problem. I'm getting better with it but when I was younger I had a lot of self-doubts about things that were important to me, such as artistic capabilities. I was too afraid to express myself and ended up working in corporate environments because of it. Too afraid to stand up for myself because I thought I wasn't good enough.

That has changed. I quit my job and started freelancing as a (graphic) designer and photographer. I am doing quite well, actually.

Yes, always been attracted to foreigners. For the past 15 years I have lived abroad (in different countries) and travelled a lot. Married (and divorced) a foreigner and dated a few others. Perhaps that's also because, except for 1 year, I have not lived in my home country in the past 16 years.

The type you described is exactly my ex-husband! Scary.