communication

Carburn

I have a desperate need to improve my communication skills/public persona. I am an introvert and recluse. I honestly feel no particular individual identity. I absolutely hate being in the public but now I must through teaching, writing, publishing, public speaking, etc. This is a major obstacle for me. I am being forced to be a person. My mercury is in Cancer in 7th, which is annoying. I am trying to determine if there is anything good (i.e., anything that I can capitalize on) to help me develop a public self that can communicate with the world. Should I be looking at anything other than Mercury?

Attachments

• astro.gif
    astro.gif
    100.6 KB · Views: 28

muchacho

I have a desperate need to improve my communication skills/public persona. I am an introvert and recluse. I honestly feel no particular individual identity. I absolutely hate being in the public but now I must through teaching, writing, publishing, public speaking, etc. This is a major obstacle for me. I am being forced to be a person. My mercury is in Cancer in 7th, which is annoying. I am trying to determine if there is anything good (i.e., anything that I can capitalize on) to help me develop a public self that can communicate with the world. Should I be looking at anything other than Mercury?
I don't see a communication problem per se. With Moon in Aquarius, Sun in Cancer and Mercury in Gemini, you should be rather articulate. But since your Mercury is in the 8th, Moon in the 4th and Sun in the 9th, you probably prefer the written word over the spoken word. And with Mercury in the 8th and Scorpio and Pluto rising, you might have a problem with shallow small talk communication. So if you can't avoid appearing in and speaking in public, then write it all down and take your notes with you.

Carburn

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is more verbal communication where I am severely hindered. I lost a fairly prestigious position because of my poor verbal ability, even though they were quite impressed with me otherwise. I have an oral exam coming up as well and am terrified I will fail because I don't express things. There’s nothing medically wrong with me that has been found. If there are no indicators of poor communication, perhaps I should be looking at other things. Maybe the pluto influences and the need to stay hidden are the stronger force here, and I should work on that instead.

muchacho

Thank you for your reply. Yes, it is more verbal communication where I am severely hindered. I lost a fairly prestigious position because of my poor verbal ability, even though they were quite impressed with me otherwise. I have an oral exam coming up as well and am terrified I will fail because I don't express things. There’s nothing medically wrong with me that has been found. If there are no indicators of poor communication, perhaps I should be looking at other things. Maybe the pluto influences and the need to stay hidden are the stronger force here, and I should work on that instead.
Don't get too worked up about this. You are not the only one on this planet who has such fears. I don't know your age, but in case your are in your late teens or early 20s, then lack of self-esteem is totally normal. As you've already said, the problem is only the presentation, not the content, what you had to say was even impressive. So maybe you are just too hard on yourself. If you are looking for a job or career, try finding one where what you say matters more than how you say it.

Also, there are gazillions of books on how to overcome or at least manage fear of speaking in public. There are some skills and tricks you can learn. Take it easy. This is more normal than you think. Maybe it helps to keep in mind that even Obama and all the news anchors out there all need a teleprompter and would be lost without their notes! :lol: