Which house represents high school?

Osamenor

Staff member
If the third house is elementary school and the ninth is college/university, which house would represent high school? Would it be the ninth, because it's not elementary school anymore, and high school students are not young children? Or would it be the third, because it's not higher education yet, and high school students are typically still living at home with their families?

conspiracy theorist

Personally, I'd consider high school being under the rulership of the 3rd. High school has more in common structurally with elementary than it does college. Also, university is often accompanied by other 9th house elements (like moving abroad) where oftentimes high schools are heavily 3rd house (local environment and neighbourhood).

AppLeo

Well in Vedic astrology, the 5th house is often associated with intelligence and learning.

Maybe the 5th house represents high school as well??

The Leo definitely represents the teenager, which rules over the 5th house. In high school you start to learn to express yourself and learn about stuff you care about and all.

Aries - baby
Taurus - toddler
Gemini - kid
Cancer - prepubescent
Leo - teenager

But if it's not the 5th house I'd definitely go with the 3rd house because high school is very boring and teaches standard information.

katydid

I'd say high school was still 3rd house. The student would still be living at home under parent's roof and control. It is at the 9th that they go away from home and do higher education.

here is some corroboration:
http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology_houses.php

The 3rd house: immediate surroundings, siblings, short trips, and studies.

It deals with communication, the close environment (siblings, colleagues, schoolmates), primary and secondary education, apprenticeship. It also describes short trips, transportation, modern means of communication and all practical things. The third astrological house is in analogy to the third sign of the zodiac, Gemini.

The 9th house: travels, abstract and higher concepts, spirituality, and foreign matters.

It is the realm of spirituality and philosophy, higher ideals, faraway travels, both physical and inner ones. Contrarily to the 3rd house, this house represents higher education and universities, as well as the understanding of abstract topics. It is also related to law and legality, and religion. The ninth astrological house is in analogy to the ninth sign of the zodiac, Sagittarius.

katydid

Well in Vedic astrology, the 5th house is often associated with intelligence and learning.

The Leo definitely represents the teenager, which rules over the 5th house. In high school you start to learn to express yourself and learn about stuff you care about and all.

Aries - baby
Taurus - toddler
Gemini - kid
Cancer - prepubescent
Leo - teenager

But if it's not the 5th house I'd definitely go with the 3rd house because high school is very boring and teaches standard information.

'Being' a teenager could be given a 5th house influence. But the 'educational' aspect of teen years is 3rd house. JMO

conspiracy theorist

Perhaps the joys as well can aid as an indication of the house's focus. The Moon joys in the 3rd which could mean that the intimate and bonding that the moon does is in line with people who are more local and thus more accessible and "familiar". In Jamaica for example, we have the track and field championships every year and every high school acts almost tribe like in their zeal. Though school loyalty is something you would see in universities too.

The Sun joys in the 9th house and the Sun is the planet of illumination and "en-lighten-ment". Universities are places where your horizons are broadened -- you learn about a more vast array of subjects, you are likely to meet people from various different cultures and it is in the higher positions of universities where there is cutting edge research and projects that propel the world forward by making them aware (Sun) of knowledge that was not known by many before.

Osamenor

Staff member
Personally, I'd consider high school being under the rulership of the 3rd. High school has more in common structurally with elementary than it does college. Also, university is often accompanied by other 9th house elements (like moving abroad) where oftentimes high schools are heavily 3rd house (local environment and neighbourhood).
Makes sense....

The 3rd house: immediate surroundings, siblings, short trips, and studies.

It deals with communication, the close environment (siblings, colleagues, schoolmates), primary and secondary education, apprenticeship.
Makes sense, too, especially with that official quote....

The Sun joys in the 9th house and the Sun is the planet of illumination and "en-lighten-ment". Universities are places where your horizons are broadened -- you learn about a more vast array of subjects, you are likely to meet people from various different cultures and it is in the higher positions of universities where there is cutting edge research and projects that propel the world forward by making them aware (Sun) of knowledge that was not known by many before.
But then, the "meet people from various different cultures" part sounds more like my high school than like either of the two colleges I attended. I went to high school in a big city with many immigrants. Most of my friends came from somewhere else. I would regularly hear at least 5 different languages, aside from English, just walking down the hall.

Granted, that's not the typical high school experience. But where do we put high school if it matches a ninth house experience in some key way? Another possible example: what if you go to boarding school for high school? Then the being away from home experience is part of it, the meeting different people who you wouldn't have met at home, all of that.

AppLeo

Granted, that's not the typical high school experience. But where do we put high school if it matches a ninth house experience in some key way? Another possible example: what if you go to boarding school for high school? Then the being away from home experience is part of it, the meeting different people who you wouldn't have met at home, all of that.

You're over complicating it. Just accept that the 3rd house is associated with high school.

conspiracy theorist

But then, the "meet people from various different cultures" part sounds more like my high school than like either of the two colleges I attended. I went to high school in a big city with many immigrants. Most of my friends came from somewhere else. I would regularly hear at least 5 different languages, aside from English, just walking down the hall.

A lot of those same thoughts came to my mind while typing up my post. It's why I qualified my statement with oftentimes and other such words.

I've haven't seen your chart in a long time. How is the 3rd house configured vs. the 9th? That may go to explaining why your experience is almost flipped from the conventional.

Osamenor

Staff member
A lot of those same thoughts came to my mind while typing up my post. It's why I qualified my statement with oftentimes and other such words.

I've haven't seen your chart in a long time. How is the 3rd house configured vs. the 9th? That may go to explaining why your experience is almost flipped from the conventional.

Both my third and my ninth are empty houses if you just consider traditional planets, although the ninth has Pluto (in Libra) in it. Third house cusp is in late Pisces, ninth in late Virgo. Edit: Jupiter is technically in my third house, but I tend to think of it as fourth because it's right on my IC.

However, I have a Sagittarius moon. That's what immediately sprang to my mind thinking of my high school experience just now. The familiar, for me, is Sagittarian.

Maybe that's why most of my friends came from somewhere else. There were certainly other American born students, but that wasn't who I gravitated to. Moon rules my seventh house, so maybe Sag has something to do with who I draw into my life.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
You're over complicating it. Just accept that the 3rd house is associated with high school.
I accept that the third house is associated with high school in general. I would certainly interpret it that way if it were a horary chart, or a high school student's solar return chart with significant third house placements. However, I can see there being certain situations where high school would be more like a ninth house experience... so I'm thinking of the exceptions as well. Is there really hard and fast rule?

conspiracy theorist

Both my third and my ninth are empty houses if you just consider traditional planets, although the ninth has Pluto (in Libra) in it. Third house cusp is in late Pisces, ninth in late Virgo. Edit: Jupiter is technically in my third house, but I tend to think of it as fourth because it's right on my IC.

However, I have a Sagittarius moon. That's what immediately sprang to my mind thinking of my high school experience just now. The familiar, for me, is Sagittarian.

Maybe that's why most of my friends came from somewhere else. There were certainly other American born students, but that wasn't who I gravitated to. Moon rules my seventh house, so maybe Sag has something to do with who I draw into my life.

Ah, it's coming back to me now.

I take your explanation on your own chart factors. Perhaps another thing too would be that due to L3 being Jupiter conjunct the 4th you would experience a local environment that was more cosmopolitan (Jupiter) than the norm.

And in regard to the L9 Mercury being placed in 8th would speak to a more "stationary" (if you can call it that) experience. Modernly the 8th is a house of intimacy so no doubt this could've described you uni experience.

If Moon is trine Jupiter it would certainly strengthen the connection between foreign intimates and your cultural co-mingling that you experience growing up.

Osamenor

Staff member
Ah, it's coming back to me now.

I take your explanation on your own chart factors. Perhaps another thing too would be that due to L3 being Jupiter conjunct the 4th you would experience a local environment that was more cosmopolitan (Jupiter) than the norm.
That's very true. That's exactly the kind of environment I grew up in. Never thought of it, but it makes perfect sense!

And in regard to the L9 Mercury being placed in 8th would speak to a more "stationary" (if you can call it that) experience. Modernly the 8th is a house of intimacy so no doubt this could've described you uni experience.
Mercury is indeed in my 8th house, but whole sign 9th.

If Moon is trine Jupiter it would certainly strengthen the connection between foreign intimates and your cultural co-mingling that you experience growing up.
It is--wide orb, but applying trine, and trine by sign. So that fits, too!

katydid

I accept that the third house is associated with high school in general. I would certainly interpret it that way if it were a horary chart, or a high school student's solar return chart with significant third house placements. However, I can see there being certain situations where high school would be more like a ninth house experience... so I'm thinking of the exceptions as well. Is there really hard and fast rule?

I think you are correct. As a general rule, a student living at home and attending the local high school, is doing a 3rd house experience.

But if circumstances are different, in that the student goes to a boarding school, far away, then perhaps they are plunging head first into a 9th house experience, at a younger age than most.

My daughters friend was sent to live with her father, in Geneva Switzerland, when she was a freshman in high school. She attended something called 'the American School'---which was full of diplomats kids from all over.

But I would consider that a 9th house experience for her, as opposed to a 3rd house. She came home for her Senior year, and was very bored and underwhelmed by her local high school experience. LOL

muchacho

If the third house is elementary school and the ninth is college/university, which house would represent high school? Would it be the ninth, because it's not elementary school anymore, and high school students are not young children? Or would it be the third, because it's not higher education yet, and high school students are typically still living at home with their families?
In modern western astrology I would say it's the 3rd house. In vedic astrology, however, it's the 4th house (formal education).

muchacho

Aries - baby
Taurus - toddler
Gemini - kid
Cancer - prepubescent
Leo - teenager

In vedic astrology the 5th is for college and university (BA). MA and PhD and beyond would be the 9th. 5th would also be for the arts.

Kitchy

Banned

Cool question! A question like this came up years ago for me and my astro friend from college who was talking about her school days. She was from New York but attended a K-12 at a private school in Mass. I told her that 3rd house is schooling while growing up and she pointed out that she thought it was 9th in this instance because it was not local neighborhood/classmates and it was another "land". I thought that made sense so I try to look at those things in charts when talking about schooling.

CapAquaPis

In the astrological life cycle, each house beginning at ascendant represents 6-7 years of your life. I thought my 3rd house with the planets Mars, Jupiter and Saturn in the sign of Virgo would indicate my grade school experience, the 4th with Pluto in Libra portrays my time in middle school and the 5th of Uranus in Scorpio relates to my experiences in high school or adolesence. Then again, I have a Mercury in Pisces-9th (high school) in a close aspect with my Sun and Moon in Aquarius. I was in a county mentally disabled special ed. class in the first half (6) out of 12 years in public school, and I managed to graduate at my HS senior year despite I have mild or high-functioning autism.