Should I accept this new role?

LostinPhilly

Hi all,

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well during this challenging time.

I wanted to raise this question as I am completely confused and don't really have anyone to discuss this with at the moment.

About 1.5 years ago, I left a job I thoroughly enjoyed in corporate banking, where I was appreciated by senior management, but not so much by my middle-management manager and the pay was quite low. I moved into a role within a Big4 which turned into being the worst job I have ever had. It is pretty much a call-center/IT support role which does not align with my banking & legal background at all.

This morning, we had a call with our manager who said: "we don't expect anyone to have a legal knowledge as we didn't hire you guys with a legal degree in your back-pocket". That's pretty much the nail in the coffin. I have a dual legal qualification and working with people who barely have a high-school degree (nothing against them personally) and I quite frankly, took this comment as an offense as this manager clearly doesn't know who they hired.

Anyway. I was recently offered a role in banking (which I've been wanting to go back into), but it seems the role is slightly junior than my current role (no corporate title) though the salary is higher and it will provide me with a great knowledge of the regulatory landscape. I will probably gain expertise I will be able to leverage on in the job market, but again, it is a more junior title than the one I should have after 5/6 years experience.

Is it worth moving down to move back up?

Should I thus accept this role or will a better role come along (hard to believe in these times)?

astro-2gw-should-i-accept-this-role-hr-42340-168934.png

Thank you.

Chrysalis

The lot of rectitude for if this is the right job to take, this lot falls @19° Taurus conjunct the MC with moon also applying to conjunct. With lot ruler Venus retrograding back towards you mercury in the 10th house.

It all looks good for you to accept this new role.

IleneK

Premium Member
I agree with Chrys.
With Venus, the job/boss turning back to meet you/Merc by conjunction in the 10th house of work/career, it looks favorable. It also looks like you will like this job.
Try not to dwell too much on all the details and potentials; it may be good just to leap.
It can take quite some time to get settled in one's career.

Last edited:

LostinPhilly

Thank you Crysalis and IleneK. I really appreciate your input.

You're right, I just need to take a leap.

I'm overthinking it a bit and I supposed there is a bit of fear in this as well.

That said, it has become apparent to me that there is no future in my current role and a shift needs to happen as it is slowly diluting my skill-set. This new role will hopefully allow me to anchor my skill set in a specific area of expertise and allow for a proper progression.

I made a mistake when I left my former role to take my current role, so there is a fear of repeating the same mistake and not being able to rectify it. I'm a bit scarred, I suppose.

Fingers crossed :)

Last edited:

Aria Venue

this change will be beneficial to you.Both your sigs will aspect essential benefics and mercury and venus in mr.
go for it and good luck :smile:

IleneK

Premium Member
Thank you Crysalis and IleneK. I really appreciate your input.

You're right, I just need to take a leap.

I'm overthinking it a bit and I supposed there is a bit of fear in this as well.

That said, it has become apparent to me that there is no future in my current role and a shift needs to happen as it is slowly diluting my skill-set. This new role will hopefully allow me to anchor my skill set in a specific area of expertise and allow for a proper progression.

I made a mistake when I left my former role to take my current role, so there is a fear of repeating the same mistake and not being able to rectify it. I'm a bit scarred, I suppose.

Fingers crossed :)

You are most welcome, LIP.

I don't think it was a mistake to leave your last job. It was a terrible, unworkable situation. The fact this one has problems doesn't mean you made a mistake either. You are finding your way, continuing to adjust and fine-tune your life further.

These things take time; there is no reason for blame. Being scared is appropriate; I would be concerned if you were not.

And you can forward while feeling fear: That is what constitutes courage.
Good cheer to you.

Last edited:

LostinPhilly

Update:

Hi all,

Just wanted to give a brief update on this. I ended up accepting the role.

Whilst the role is interesting and up my alley, I do not think the company culture is a fit and the pace is much much slower than in my previous role. Additionally, the social aspect is almost non-existent (COVID isn't helping either, but this is also typical to banks) as compared to my previous employer's. It is a completely different culture with a lot less cross-function collaboration.

I think I definitely found my purpose career-wise and I will absorb as much as I can, but I am planning on returning to consulting (within the same field) whenever possible. This culture is simply not for me and remind me of the very reasons why I left banking in the first place.