Via Combusta

Kannan

Why via combusta is between 15 degrees Libra and 15 degrees Scorpio. I can understand Scorpio where Moon is in fall. But why in Libra ? How bad is its influenc in Horary and Native horoscopes

Kannan

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
It's actually a combination of influences. Part of it is star lore concerning the malefic stars in the Claws of the Scorpion. The other part is that Sol is depressed in Libra just like Luna is depressed in Scorpio, while the malefics are both powerful, Saturn in Libra by exaltation, and Mars by domicile of Scorpio.

In horary it is said that if Luna is here the querent is in great fear or suffering. Lovely, no? :)

Kannan

Thanks for your clarification. If Luna is depressed in Scorpio and SOL(Is it Sun ?) in Libra then logically the entire 30 degrees in Libra and Scorpio should come under Via-Combusta . Why only a part of the houses.

Kannan

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Kannan, I thought this might interest you:

The answer to the puzzle surrounding the true meaning of the Via Combusta was revealed by Al Biruni in his work, The Book of Instruction in the Elements of the Art of Astrology, written in 1029AD in Ghaznah. On page 317, number 514, he wrote:
"The combust way is the last part of Libra and the first of Scorpio. These two signs are not congenial to the Sun and the Moon on account of the obscurity and ill-luck connected with them and because each of them is the fall of one of the luminaries. They also contain the two malefics, the one by exaltation (Libra, Saturn) the other by house (Scorpio, Mars). The peculiarity however which has given the name muhtariq is that the exaltation of Saturn is near the fall of the Sun being on the one hand and that of the Moon on the other, while the adjacent parts of both signs are occupied by terms of Mars."

This area of the zodiac, which is now believed to be from 15 degrees Libra to 15 degrees Scorpio, (note that Al Biruni does not specify the degrees) is deemed to be malefic for a number of reasons:
1. Saturn is the greater malefic and Mars the lesser.
2. The Sun is in its fall in Scorpio.
3. Saturn is exalted in Libra at 21 degrees and within 2 degrees of the Sun’s fall at 19 Libra.
4. Mars is in its rulership in Scorpio and the Moon’s fall degree is at 3 Scorpio.
5. In Libra, Mars has its terms from 25-30 degrees and in Scorpio from 0-6 degrees.
6. The first 10 degrees of Scorpio are in the face of Mars.
7. By day and night Mars is in its own triplicity in Scorpio.
Furthermore, between 15 and 19 degrees of Libra are the terms of Jupiter, the greater benefic, and between 20 and 24 degrees of Libra the terms of Mercury, a neutral planet. From 7 to 14 degrees of Scorpio are the terms of Jupiter, and from 15 to 21 of Scorpio are the terms of Venus. So these two sections of the horoscope formerly regarded as parts of the Via Combusta are not as malefic as the middle section from 25 Libra to 6 Scorpio. The most malefic and precise position of the Via Combusta would therefore appear to be from 25 Libra to 6 Scorpio as this is the most Martian and fiery area.

The Via Combusta is chiefly concerned with the Sun and the Moon. Once every year the Sun will transit this area between 25 and 30 Libra, but the Moon will enter the Via Combusta every month. Since the Moon is regarded as the most important planet in horary, the Via Combusta is of particular importance to it. Yet in my experience the Moon in the first 6 degree of Scorpio in a horary cannot prevent the astrologer from judging it.

In Christian Astrology, Lilly read 2 horaries with the Moon in the accepted version of the Via Combusta. See page 415, where the Moon is at 8.20 Scorpio. And page 468, where the Moon is at 6.20 Scorpio. He also judged one example of the Sun in the Via Combusta at 6.30 Scorpio, on page 471. It didn’t seem to do his judgements any harm. Readers must ask themselves whether Lilly considered the Moon in the Via Combusta to be such a hindrance. Why did he then proceed to judge these two horaries if he really thought it was detrimental to the Moon and the astrologer’s judgement?

It has been suggested that the Moon in the Via Combusta appears in horary questions of a tragic nature, in my experience this can happen in all sorts of questions and not just the tragic ones.
It is one of the considerations before judgement and is thought to be detrimental to the Moon if located there. In my experience it is not detrimental to the Moon or to the astrologer’s judgement of the horary.

Lilly wrote concerning the Via Combusta, "...or as some say, when she is in Via Combusta , which is, when she is in the last 15 degrees of Libra, or the first 15 degrees of Scorpio". Note that he says "some say". Does this mean that he really didn’t believe in it himself?

First published in Astrology - The Astrologers' Quarterly. Vol. 61 no 2. Summer 1987.
© Maurice McCann 1987
Cheers, Lillyjgc

LionKing

That is probably because the Via Comusta is only half the said-sign. 15 deg of Libra is only half, as well as Scorpio. I do know that is a very difficult time in sports prediction. I almost want to avoid it during that time. However there is a fixed star called "Spica" 23"50 Libra which offers good luck and fortune. I hope this was of help. V/r LionKing