God did not create the universe, says Hawking

Inconjunct

God is was and ever shall be without beginning or end. Our limited human minds can't wrap themselves around this concept because we can't imagine eternity. Everything in the world we know ends.

JUPITERASC

God exists to me and my family as someone who protects us, and is there for us when we need Him. So too me, reading these posts, I want to argue, but rather won't for the sake of this thread.

But I do want to say that I think that God created whatever theory man has, such as the big bang. If man wants to believe that the big bang did occur with absolute certainty, than so be it. So it would fit like this. God created the Universe through the big bang. But then what created God? Well if I remember the Bible correctly, I think it mentioned that God created himself, and his 10 Consciousness or something like that (the Sepiroth, or spelled in that manner if I'm correct).So to me I adopt that simplistic view. God created himself and the universe, created the big bang, time, gravity and whatever other discovery man thinks they know with certainty.
God is the Almighty, so He natrually has the power to even create Himself, along with all the theories man can come up with (sentence repeated for emphasize).
Sorry for sounding preachy, but I just had to post this.

God is was and ever shall be without beginning or end. Our limited human minds can't wrap themselves around this concept because we can't imagine eternity. Everything in the world we know ends.

so, four basic points of view then
(a) god created himself
(b) god has always been there
(c) Atheism
(d) Agnosticism :smile:

SniperBomber328

What I meant was that God had created Himself in the sense, where He didn't really create Himself, because He is the beginning and the end. As it say's in the Bible. God is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, literally. So in other words, until we can firmly grasp what eternity is really for us, we can't say that God didn't or did create Himself, because that knowledge know one knows. Simple as that, it's all a matter of faith and belief. Which is what I do, trust God and the Bible.

Raquel

CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/09/02/hawking.god.universe/index.html?hpt=T2

Yahoo full article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking

intro:
LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.
In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, [COLOR=#366388 !important][COLOR=#366388 !important]Hawking[/COLOR][/COLOR] says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.
"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."
Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes,

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/09/02/hawking.god.universe/index.html?hpt=T2

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refer...dex.html?scp=1-spot&sq=stephen hawking&st=cse

I would like to believe in that very very much... if it's so, means that we are nothing but a body... so, after death there's nothing. I would like to believe in that, so we could live life to extreme without think in the consequences of our acts... but, I can't do it... I would like to believe, but I believe in life after death... so I must agree there's something more powerful than physics.

JUPITERASC

I would like to believe in that very very much... if it's so, means that we are nothing but a body... so, after death there's nothing. I would like to believe in that, so we could live life to extreme without think in the consequences of our acts... but, I can't do it... I would like to believe, but I believe in life after death... so I must agree there's something more powerful than physics.

How convenient if we could escape the consequences of our acts! In the physical world, every action has a reaction that is opposite and equal, so it makes sense that every one of our actions has a consequence... and if every one of our actions has a consequence, then it is just a matter of time until those consequences occur :smile: