Why is Waxing Moon considered benefic and Waning Moon malefic in Vedic astrology?

diamondbaby

I have always been curious why is Waxing Moon considered benefic and Waning Moon considered malefic in Vedic astrology.

Why is this? I thought Waning Moon was more benefic because it is a more mature energy...

muchacho

I have always been curious why is Waxing Moon considered benefic and Waning Moon considered malefic in Vedic astrology.

Why is this? I thought Waning Moon was more benefic because it is a more mature energy...
I think the logic goes like this: the Moon reflects the Sun light. The Sun is Atma (source, god, higher self). The brighter the Moon, the more of Atma is reflected back. Therefore, bright Moon is benefic, dark Moon is malefic.

Crystalpages

Hello,

I am curious about this concept of waning moon as representing "more mature energy". Is this arising from western=tropical astro-symbolism? Or perhaps based on observations documented in nativities who are more perceptive vs reflective in their thinking patterns, etc.

In Vedic - sidereal framework, an important consideration when examining moon is its phasic status (Pakshabala) which is at its minimum during new moon (amavasya; conjunction) but at its maximum during full-moon (Purnima; opposition). There are other sources of strength/beneficience that are considered as well, such as dignity etc (exaltation which is phasic, but also whether moon is in own or friendly signs, etc). There are other considerations too, including support from other planets, notably those flanking the natal moon, and more.

Thanks in advance for sharing more about the mature energy viewpoint that you mentioned in passing.

Regards,

Alkaid

A waning moon isn't too popular in traditional astrology either.

Basically, a waxing moon indicates growth and upward mobility. So symbolically someone with a waxing moon has more opportunity in life and more chance to expand their resources, if all other things are equal. That's the basic idea.

A waning moon is more about dispersion and the spreading of knowledge/resources to others. So you could say that the waxing moon is more beneficial to the native, the waning more beneficial to those around him.

There are also other factors to consider on whether the moon is malefic or benefic, sign placement, aspects, relationship to dispositer, the sign the planet rules and house placement. Labelling the moon as a malefic or benefic based on one factor is never a good idea.

Kitchy

Banned
I like to think of waning moon as the excitement of going to Disneyland and the reality of waxing, once you're there - the lines are long, things are expensive, and you get caught up in what you think it was gonna be vs. what it turned out to be. Those new moons and full moons pretty much tell you that at the git go, if you pay attention.

Crystalpages

I like to think of waning moon as the excitement of going to Disneyland and the reality of waxing, once you're there - the lines are long, things are expensive, and you get caught up in what you think it was gonna be vs. what it turned out to be. Those new moons and full moons pretty much tell you that at the git go, if you pay attention.

Very nice analogy! In the astro-chart, though, other indicators coexist and co-play -- making Disneyland not necessarily the only choice to best utilize the travel-voucher (karma-lifetime) that we get handed at the moment of birth :)

diamondbaby

A waning moon isn't too popular in traditional astrology either.

Basically, a waxing moon indicates growth and upward mobility. So symbolically someone with a waxing moon has more opportunity in life and more chance to expand their resources, if all other things are equal. That's the basic idea.

A waning moon is more about dispersion and the spreading of knowledge/resources to others. So you could say that the waxing moon is more beneficial to the native, the waning more beneficial to those around him.

Thanks for explaining! :happy: