Neptune Sq Neptune transit 20 years

Blackempress

Hi Folks, I just noted that I have a Neptune in 10th (Sagg) conj MC now transiting with a Pisces Asc Neptune. I have always struggled with clarity of career and a general dissatisfaction despite being a doctor etc. I find progress exceptionally difficult and have very low motivation for "real success" which in combination affects my personal image and leads to more confusion. I find dealing with people difficult. I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced living with this awful transit and how to survive it. I understand that it will last till 57 years so I have 20 years to deal with it.

Cary2

Banned
Everyone, if they live long enough, will experience this transiting square, therefore it is natural more than it is awful, but depending upon the associated aspects and conditions at birth and the associated aspects at the time of transit, the aspect will be more awful for some than for others. Your Mars/Pluto/Saturn conjunction inclines you a bit to fear or phobias.

Virtually any prominent astrologer has his detractors who assail his efforts and achievements. It is a sad feature of the society of astrologers. Sakoin & Acker are a prolific astrology team who have published a number of valuable astrological texts. Their book, "Predictive Astrology", is the book of theirs that addresses such a transit as Neptune-square-Neptune. If I quote Sakoin & Acker, I will likely attract criticism as they and other astrologers attract criticism, but I have consulted the books of Sakoin & Acker frequently in my career, and I appreciate their value as references. The fact that they offer "cookbook-style" guides that assume to interpret what an aspect means beyond any context whatsoever opens them to criticism, but as any student of astrology can attest, such cookbooks have their place in an astrological education.

Based on my experience with Sakoin & Acker, I assume that their interpretation is a blend of personal experience and astrological algebra. We generally know what Neptune represents and what it often produces. We know generally what a square aspect represents and what it often produces, and we should allow that Neptune-square-Neptune is a stage of development in the life of a human being that is quite natural. For instance, we accept that midlife crisis appears to be real for most of us, and that it is an immensely stressful time that may cause sufferers to go astray and suffer as a result. In a normal life there are hazards.

"Subconscious emotional problems and disturbing psychic experiences" is the summation by Sakoin & Acker. Further they project that one is apt to withdraw psychologically from others and seek isolation. Due to emotional confusion a lack of emotional objectivity will be in evidence.

Neptune often stimulates in each of us neurotic wool-gathering perhaps due to the mystery of existence and the insecurity that arises from that mystery. If you have much metaphysical study or religious faith, you may enjoy some measure of assurance and well-being during such trying times.

Last edited:

Lin

Neptune will not square your MC or itself, natal Neptune for 20 years.

Please post your chart and I'll show you.

Remember: the orb for a transit outer planet is about 6 degrees applying and about 3 degrees separating (after the last retrograde.)

Again, I cannot address your version of your transit without actually seeing your chart.

Remember that Neptune square Neptune is a generational transit. Millions of people will have it when you do.

Also: unlike other planets, Neptune squares are often GOOD for yu because they wake you up; they don't allow you to deceive yourself (fantasy, delusion, denial) - and force you to see the truth...or at least realize what is real and what is not.

So...don't assume.

Lainie

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Neptune transits only last for about 2 years. Where did you get the idea it would be decades?

Everyone has Neptune squaring their natal Neptune between the ages of 39 and 41. It's one of the strong midlife transits we all get. That square wakes up Neptune for us. It's one reason why midlife crises are associated with people doing foolish, unrealistic things. Thankfully, the Neptune square is bracketed by the midlife Saturn square and Saturn opposition, which injects a dose of reality.

That may be a time when you revive a youthful dream you had left behind, and come up with a new way of reaching it. If you have any planets conjunct, square, or in opposition to your natal Neptune, the Neptune square will also prod those planets, so their themes will be involved in this.

david starling

Neptune transits only last for about 2 years. Where did you get the idea it would be decades?

Everyone has Neptune squaring their natal Neptune between the ages of 39 and 41. It's one of the strong midlife transits we all get. That square wakes up Neptune for us. It's one reason why midlife crises are associated with people doing foolish, unrealistic things. Thankfully, the Neptune square is bracketed by the midlife Saturn square and Saturn opposition, which injects a dose of reality.

That may be a time when you revive a youthful dream you had left behind, and come up with a new way of reaching it. If you have any planets conjunct, square, or in opposition to your natal Neptune, the Neptune square will also prod those planets, so their themes will be involved in this.

You meant 12 years, rather than "2" ?

Osamenor

Staff member
You meant 12 years, rather than "2" ?

No, I meant two years. That's how long a Neptune transit to a planet or point stays in orb, more or less.

Neptune takes 14 years to transit a sign. But Neptune is only squaring natal Neptune (or whichever other planet or point we're looking at) for 3-5 degrees of that transit.

david starling

No, I meant two years. That's how long a Neptune transit to a planet or point stays in orb, more or less.

Neptune takes 14 years to transit a sign. But Neptune is only squaring natal Neptune (or whichever other planet or point we're looking at) for 3-5 degrees of that transit.

I should have realized that.

Personally, I'm dreading my first Neptune Return. :pinched:

Blackempress

Thanks for the responses folks. That was enlightening. I find the excess Pisces and Neptune in my natal chart quite difficult in the 'practical' world hence dreading the period. So, here is the chart and as Osamenor said it makes aspects for 2-3 years to the natal planets but nevertheless it is in 1st house for the rest of the transit.

Attachments

• astro_w2gw_blackempress.61310.39919.png
    astro_w2gw_blackempress.61310.39919.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Yes, Neptune will be transiting your first house for well over a decade, but the time when you really feel it is when it's transiting your ascendant. As it moves on, you'll absorb it, adjust to it, and the effect won't be as keen. It will be more like background noise.

Since you have natal Neptune angular, it's already very much a part of you. You live and breathe Neptune. It's natural for you to be visibly Neptunian, with it on your MC.

It's also natural for you to identify very much with your career and your public image--or, more to the point, for those things to need to reflect you thoroughly. Your AC and MC have the same traditional ruler: Jupiter. Neptune, being placed at your MC and the modern ruler of your AC, also puts its stamp on both facets of your identity.

This time is, I think, a call to accept that Neptunian self of yours. To make the impractical practical, paradoxical as that may seem.

I expect you're feeling it especially intensely right now because this is a year of eclipses along your MC/IC axis. Note the positions of the transiting nodes: where the nodes are is where eclipses happen, and when they happen on a sensitive point in your chart, that has a very powerful, and transformative, effect. The last eclipse, in December, was within 2 degrees of your MC/IC, with south node on natal Neptune. South node eclipses have a washing away effect, as does Neptune itself. No surprise if that coincides with some kind of dissolution in your life.

You're also having a Pluto square natal Pluto transit, which is in effect for several years. That is also energy for a powerful transformation.

Blackempress

Thank you for the guidance. I personally Love Pluto transits. I wish I had all planets in aspects to Pluto. Neptune on the other hand is a pain. I don't feel the effects of it yet but came across the transit explanation and thought "here we go again"
I am very Neptunian indeed but it does not help to focus or achieve what is needed to progress. It also gives the impression of softness/lack of direction which harder ones mistreat.
I suppose the idea of this transit is as you said own the energy that I have rejected all along. How? That is a different story to figure out.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Thank you for the guidance. I personally Love Pluto transits. I wish I had all planets in aspects to Pluto. Neptune on the other hand is a pain. I don't feel the effects of it yet but came across the transit explanation and thought "here we go again"

It's hovering at your ascendant, and you don't feel its effects? That's a surprise.

What do you consider to be a pain about Neptune? What was the transit explanation that made you think "here we go again?"

Osamenor

Staff member
Furthermore, neptune makes the lifepath blurry, despite other people feeling I have a lot of talents and skills, I feel unable to utilize any and I don't have a fixed direction/vision in/for my life. My life on feels like everything is 'fated' and just goes in it's own direction.

I don't think that's all Neptune's fault. You have a western hemisphere dominant chart. That creates a sense of fatedness in your life. Someone with eastern hemisphere dominance would be more likely to have an "I make my own luck" attitude. Western hemisphere dominance makes you keenly aware. of how any choice you have is dependent on circumstances--or fate--and you tend to experience life as events that happen to you, not necessarily consciously sought and certainly not controlled by you.

The saving grace to that is you can see opportunity when it comes, and not press yourself to always create it. You can go with the flow, and end up with more than you could ever have created for yourself.

Western hemisphere dominance also means a strong need for others. Perhaps others motivate you: you might, for instance, eat better when you're cooking for family members or friends or roommates than just for yourself. You likely need a lot of feedback and input from others to really accomplish something. Maybe you can develop spirituality as a solitary pursuit, but to bring it out into the world, tangibly, you need to be working with partner(s).

I see a mention up thread of working in psychiatry. Are you a client facing psychiatrist? That's a partnership oriented field right there: you and the client, constant feedback--and it's very Libra, reflecting your busiest sign. And very Western hemisphere: you get the clients you get, they just happen to find you, and when it works out well, everyone involved feels that was very lucky.

Blackempress

Interesting post on Neptune:

“Upon Pondering” by Brooke Shaden via brookeshaden.com
Head in the clouds. Wandering around, dazed and confused. Well-known potheads. Lack of career direction. Wanting a career that is glamorous and frees you from everyday responsibilities. Dreams of being an actor. Wanting the kind of position in society that will free you from domestic life. Wanting to merge with your public identity. Wanting to become whatever people think you are. Inability to accurately assess your achievements. The American Dream. Wanting to live out The American Dream. Believing that you can be anything you want – you even can be president if you want to.

[Rest of post deleted because it exceeded the word limit. It's against the rules to quote more than 100 words of an article, blog post, book, etc., due to copyright protections. You may provide a link to the full post. - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: