How to survive the Saturn Return?

kahtiel

Although I'm starting to feel the impact of it now, my Saturn Return will start in December. I think it's good to be prepared and prep for it. I'm considering asking for antidepressants because I'm afraid it's going to trigger big problems.

What did you all do or recommend during this time frame?

Last edited:

ashriia

If you are having your saturn return in december then saturn is at a critical/anaretic degree natally. So saturn energies have been prominent in your life up to this point.
The manifestation of a saturn returns event are largely dependent on the house where saturn is located, and it's aspects. saturn returns are not alike.
However there will be "lessons, and maturing" for the house in which saturn is located. Any depressed feelings, generally act as the catalyst for change/improvements.

examples ; If saturn is in hard aspect to venus - there might be issues in the love dept, sometimes meeting a saturn partner that will teach some kind of lesson. If saturn is in harmonious aspects, could meet a significant life partner - even become married. If sun is in hard aspect to saturn, there will be self esteem, ego issues, issues with superiors/men. etc. etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's really not that bad, just take it one day at a time, and reflect on what you are feeling to make improvements to those things.

miquar

Hi. Sometimes these supposedly big transits don't live up to their reputation. And remember that you've already lived through the waxing square, the opposition and the waning square.

It sounds as though you have something of a Saturnian temperament because you are feeling apprehensive and thinking about how to prepare/protect yourself. If this is so then the Saturn return will be familiar territory for you, bringing to a head issues that are already apparent to you in one way or another.

The purpose of the Saturn function is to bring you to an awareness of how you can meet the world of separate forms in a way which honours the unity of all form. The sense of futility associated with Saturn arises to show us that what currently feel like the best ways to meet the world of form are not based on an awareness of unity but on a sense of separateness.

To make the most of your Saturn return, try to be honest with yourself - what are you afraid of; what do you criticise in others; what do you envy in others? These types of questions lead you away from separateness and towards tranquillity.

Try not to get bogged down with astrology - it will just serve as a distraction from the self-communian which can be so fruitful at this time. As the return approaches, things may happen that set the stage; try to give seemingly unfortunate events the benefit of the doubt, and keep checking in with what is happening on the inside.

waybread

The first thing you can do is stop worrying about it. Anyone over the age of 30 has passed the first Saturn return. Anyone over the age of 60 has experienced two Saturn returns. How would you rate the millions of average middle-aged people you see around you, in terms of how they coped with their Saturn returns?

The first Saturn return marks your departure from youth, and your entry into middle age. It is a time of maturation for most (not all) people: perhaps they settle down into a career, marry, have a child, that sort of thing. If you still feel like a kid (and many adults do,) see how you can positively input some more adult or mature focus in your life. Obviously this can be something short of marriage or parenthood! But possibly something like opening a retirement savings account, no matter how small; or seeing if you've got some childhood carry-overs that no longer support you.

The universe notices when you take small steps to help yourself.

Get to know Saturn. One book you might enjoy is Liz Greene's, Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil.

Saturn runs a diagnostic on our lives, just as a mechanic runs a check-up on a car after it has been driven so many km/miles. If everything is running smoothly, the driver has no extra auto repair bills to pay. If the car has a problem, the driver needs to have it repaired, even though the extra costs might feel painful to his wallet.

Depression is oftentimes appears as a hard relationship or conjunction involving Saturn, Mercury, and/or the moon. How are these planets in your natal chart?

Note also that there are other things going on in the sky besides Saturn. You might have some beneficial transits at the same time.

Do you want to post your chart?

kahtiel

Thank you all for responding; you're right I need to calm down! I really started to get nervous since my best friend (whose Saturn Return will be the same time; both of us have Saturn 2nd house Placidus/3rd Whole) is planning on moving to another coast right when Saturn hits. I'm worried that I'm already so isolated because I'm working so much to take care of my student loans, and now I could have Saturn problems with money/community/siblings. I'll keep my fingers crossed for my good Solar Return lessening Saturn's impact and try to go with Saturn's flow and work on things that I can impact. I posted my chart in the beginning for those who are interested.

@ashriia I didn't consider the catalyst for change aspect of depression and that's something I need to work on. I think it's a good thing to prepare for now in preparation.

@Kscar I do need to stop and breathe, thank you. I think that's an important sign to continue working on learning meditation because I'm letting my nerves get out of hand.

@miquar I didn't even consider that I've already gone through other Saturn aspects, so I appreciate the feedback.

@waybread Thank you for the book recommendation! I feel like having something physical to investigate will help calm my fears. You are right about beneficial transits, my solar return starts a month before my Saturn and I believe, if I stay near my location, it's a good one (at least in whole signs it is :) )!

SteveGus

My own Saturn sits at 5 Cap, and is rising into the twelfth house on my natal chart.

I don't particularly fear the coming Saturn Return. At around 30, I moved to a different firm, which made my life easier. Saturn is one of the strongest planets in my chart -- if you have a Cap Saturn he probably is for you -- and in my chart Capricorn is on the ascendant as well. I have so much Saturn in my chart that the old fellow is a familiar friend. He's helped me save money, if nothing else.

By my reckoning Saturn enters Capricorn swift in motion on Christmas Day this year. And fortunately, no major drama ever takes place at Christmas. :devil: The Sun will also be hanging around Capricorn around that time as well, of course. I don't expect my second Saturn return to be that bad, although with your Saturn at 0 Cap you may have a much more sudden onset of the transit.

kahtiel

@SteveGus Thank you for responding! It's comforting to know that Saturn actually made your life better, especially saving you money! I was figuring a 0 Cap Saturn would make my return worse, but what you said about it being more sudden makes a lot more sense.

waybread

Kahtiel, I don't actually like the expression "overthinking" something, but with your first house Mercury conjunct Pluto, is it possible that you're overthinking your Saturn return? Why not just stay open to it in a curious sort of way, and see what happens? Why borrow trouble that may not even happen?

My first Saturn return wasn't difficult at all, but it was a transition into a greater state of maturity. I was already married, but we had a child, and I became active in my husband's religious faith community. My career was taking off.

Again, get to know Saturn. Understand how it operates and what it asks from us.

kahtiel

Thank you, @waybread! I probably am overthinking it and I have a tendency of paying attention to the possible negatives that may happen (just like when I found out Uranus will be going into my 7th house). Sort of a "how much further down can I fall" type of thing; (eta) which is why I've thought that maybe my Saturn return is my ending.

You're right. I'm going to be anxious about it, but I'll wait and see what happens.

Last edited:

waybread

Kahtiel, a good motto for you may be, "I am stronger than I know." Give yourself credit for being strong enough to handle whatever life may throw at you.

Your life will be full of easy and hard transits following one another in rapid succession. You'll drive yourself to distraction worrying about them. Better yet, is to determine some empowering, life affirming meanings of the transits, and then to deliberately input things in your life that are consistent with them.

This is called "choice-centered astrology."

kshantaram

Premium Member
natal sat own cap 3rd and sat return, 11th for gains from moon,
good for initiative and progress 2.5yrs;

currently 4-5m sat retro sun-mer scorpio asc,
health under stress, research-occult aptitudes;

sat direct sag 2nd tending to distant lands;
sat aspect own acq 4th protective of property matters,
not good for mother's health;

cancer-moon inimical for scorpio asc, luck under stress-delay;
mars debilated aspect over cancer impacting luck-education-father-travels;
prone to health issues - heart, lungs, thighs, etc

inimical moon-rahu over pisces 5th,
stress-delay in luck-edu-romance-children-position,
aptitude for psychology, acting skills, rise-fall,
calling for ancestor worship, observe fast black moon evenings;

ketu separative node virgo 11th, hyper-critical thinking,
detachment from income-gains-friendships-relationship;

past 1.5yr rahu transit virgo 11th, gains from foreign friends-firms;
rahu transit leo, high self-pride, aspiring to soar high in career but loner;

ketu transit moon-rahu pisces 5th,
detachment from education-romance-children-position,
pain-injury-surgery heart-stomach-feet-psychological, toxic issues;

ketu now transit acq 4th, detachment from mother-motherland;
pain-injury-surgery heart-lungs-legs-sciatica;

jup sooner now direct venus-libra 12th, venus lord 7th,
good for relationship, foreign lands;
jup aspect mars-aries 6th good for employment matters;

jup next sooner transit sun-mer scorpio research-occult aptitudes,
trine elevated aspect over cancer 9th for luck-spirituality etc,
trine aspect moon-rahu own pisces 5th for luck-education-children-position;

mars own aries success amidst adversities,
coping successfully with opponens-hurdles; accident prone-fire accidents;

mars-venus opp relationship by mere attractions; venus lord 7th too;

hope information helps take stock, do share pointwise feedbacks,

wishing better luck after 4-5m, sat direct sag, jup transit scorpio,

kshantaram

LadyBella

Although I'm starting to feel the impact of it now, my Saturn Return will start in December. I think it's good to be prepared and prep for it. I'm considering asking for antidepressants because I'm afraid it's going to trigger big problems.

What did you all do or recommend during this time frame?

ETA: Natal chart for clarification

No need for dramas for this. When I had mine, actually I felt a kind of wake regarding my dreams(goals) and responsibilities which ia great, you no more dream too high, you start to have your feet on the ground, more realistic and this is not bad at all but otherwise.
When I turned 30 , I also felt great in my birthday, so I think it depends of the person, if you are kind of "Aries" that no matter what life tells you NO but you keep arguing with the life with "but I want, I want, I want" you may suffer this type of depression because you have to let go what does not serve for you anymore, you are now an adult and have to face with your reality. If I had this notion now but in my early 20s omg...I wouldn't had waste so much time believing on certain "dreams". So, be glad that now you are going to really grow up with consciousness and maturity, I love that. Just celebrate, nothing is more grateful when you live into a reality than into an illusion life.

kahtiel

@waybread, thank you for all the information. I will try to take it to heart and get used to the idea of using that motto. I will also look into choice-centered astrology; it's very interesting and I like the idea behind it.

@kshantaram Thank you for responding. A lot of what you said is true for me right now, especially the health under stress. The Jupiter transits sound good, so I hope something comes of them for me. It gives me something to hope for.

@LadyBella Thank you for adding your insight! In some ways, I understand where you are coming from. I used to strongly want the American Dream, but I am coming to the point where I understand that it's not going to be a possibility for me. I can't afford to have kids, a house, etc and as much as I may want those things, it's not something I can do without the financial aspect. I need to accept that my goal in life is to pay off my student loans and see my parents through their lives so maybe my Saturn return will help me in that area.