Course/career help

Lo123

Hi everyone,

I'm supposed to be starting a master's degree in journalism in a couple months time, but I've been having some second thoughts about the course and feel that maybe it's not what I should be studying. Is there anything in my chart to indicate whether or not it would be a good idea? Any career advice at all would be appreciated, as I'm feeling a little lost.

Thanks very much in advance!

Attachments

• Chart (1).jpg
    Chart (1).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 31

Lo123

I feel like I’m just doing it because it makes sense, as my undergraduate degree is in English Language, and not because I really love journalism. I feel like I might be on the wrong path but I’m also afraid to study something new and completely change direction.

Nm91

Im not very good at reading charts, but here is my opinion:

Your sun conjunct Mercury could mean that you are a communicative person, you may like learning a lot of things, have an inquisitive mind and you could be a writer Or publish papers. Those 2 planets are also conjunct Pluto so you could have a penetrating mind, you like to look under the surface of things and you may like keeping Or revealing secrets. Pluto conj Sun/Mercury may be good for doing research Or investigative work. It is a good position for writing so you could do journalism or you could write thrillers or mystery novels too xD. Oh and those planets are in saggitarius so you could write, learn or do research about things that have to do with travel, languages, philosophy, religion, etc. Mercury in 12th could Also mean that you think about or could potentially write or learn about religion, mystic or secret stuff or psychology. Saggitarius has to do with higher education too, so you may like learning a lot.

Then your 9th House (that is the House of saggitarius and so has the same meaning: higher education, languages, philosophy, travel, etc) is in virgo, so you could learn things related to that sign (analytics, mathematics, things that have to do with details, maybe arts or fashion, health related stuff, etc).

So id say that journalism may be good for you, but nevertheless you should study what you want or feel like studying. If you study something just because it feels safe, you could get bored of it. But that is just my opinion.

Good luck.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Hi everyone,
I'm supposed to be starting a master's degree in journalism in a couple months time,
but I've been having some second thoughts about the course

and feel that maybe it's not what I should be studying.
Is there anything in my chart to indicate
whether or not it would be a good idea?

Any career advice at all would be appreciated, as I'm feeling a little lost.
Thanks very much in advance!
your natal Mercury, Venus and Mars are all same sign 1st house :smile:
so potentially all are significators of your profession
not surprising you feel undecided regarding career choices

https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=264990&postcount=8
In traditional astrology, we use Mercury, Venus and Mars to determine someone's career or profession. The Midheaven in traditional astrology represents the Native's Dignity, Honor and Preferments.

In modern English, the MC is the Native's ego, status, ability to lead or command, the potential for advancement and promotion, and recognition or awards. So the MC only plays a role in one's career by setting the parameters.

As an example, someone's chart might have a heavy Mars influence, and so we might conclude (along with other factors) that the person is a leader, and then we look to the MC to tell us if this person will be the Chief Executive Officer of a major corporation or merely a low level floor manager at a restaurant or retail store, or perhaps a shop foreperson in an manufacturing facility.

It allows us to distinguish between a teacher, a headmaster and a university professor; between an amateur athlete, an Olympic athlete, a mediocre professional athlete and a professional athlete who receives top pay and many awards; between a street player, a musician in a local band, a studio musician, a mediocre professional musician and a musician who is nationally or world renown and has gold and platinum records/CDs.

After we make a determination for the Significator of Profession, which could be Mercury, Venus or Mars alone, or two of the three together, or even all three could be the Significators of Profession, we look so if we blend that with other Planets who are in aspect with the Significator, and then look to the MC.

One of the things you'll learn is that not everyone was intended to have a career or profession, and you can see that in the chart. What are those people to do? Well, the chart will tell you that too, meaning whether they're "homeless" or drift from menial job to menial job, or they're criminals or "professional students" or they don't have to work because they already have wealth or maybe they're house-wives/house-husbands or something like that.

Lo123

Im not very good at reading charts, but here is my opinion:

Your sun conjunct Mercury could mean that you are a communicative person, you may like learning a lot of things, have an inquisitive mind and you could be a writer Or publish papers. Those 2 planets are also conjunct Pluto so you could have a penetrating mind, you like to look under the surface of things and you may like keeping Or revealing secrets. Pluto conj Sun/Mercury may be good for doing research Or investigative work. It is a good position for writing so you could do journalism or you could write thrillers or mystery novels too xD. Oh and those planets are in saggitarius so you could write, learn or do research about things that have to do with travel, languages, philosophy, religion, etc. Mercury in 12th could Also mean that you think about or could potentially write or learn about religion, mystic or secret stuff or psychology. Saggitarius has to do with higher education too, so you may like learning a lot.

Then your 9th House (that is the House of saggitarius and so has the same meaning: higher education, languages, philosophy, travel, etc) is in virgo, so you could learn things related to that sign (analytics, mathematics, things that have to do with details, maybe arts or fashion, health related stuff, etc).

So id say that journalism may be good for you, but nevertheless you should study what you want or feel like studying. If you study something just because it feels safe, you could get bored of it. But that is just my opinion.

Good luck.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful. And these are all pretty much the kinds of careers I’ve considered. I feel much better about going ahead with the course now.. just needed a bit of reassurance I think! Thanks again :)

Lo123

your natal Mercury, Venus and Mars are all same sign 1st house :smile:
so potentially all are significators of your profession
not surprising you feel undecided regarding career choices

https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=264990&postcount=8

Thank you for this! :) makes sense. I feel like I’m being pulled in so many different directions!
Would you be able to tell me what having these planets in the 1st house could indicate? I can never seem to find much about 1st house and career.

Nm91

Thank you so much! This is really helpful. And these are all pretty much the kinds of careers I’ve considered. I feel much better about going ahead with the course now.. just needed a bit of reassurance I think! Thanks again :)

No problem!, Im glad i could be of help. Good luck with your studies, i think you have the potential to study what you want:).

Osamenor

Staff member
Thank you for this! :) makes sense. I feel like I’m being pulled in so many different directions!
No wonder: nearly everything in your chart, including both luminaries and the AC and all the personal planets, is in Sagittarius. That's the sign that can't sit still and is always going in multiple directions. Sagittarius's purpose is to explore, experience, and expand. In whichever way catches your fancy.

Anything else is useful to you only if it gives you the means to explore and experience more. If you achieved an undergraduate degree, it's not because the achievement itself mattered to you, but because it was the natural outcome of time spent studying, which probably did meet your need to experience and explore.

Or perhaps, if there came a time when studying did not feel fulfilling in that way, you sucked it up and finished because finishing would let you move on to more experiences. But you couldn't have done that if there was very much of a slog to get through. If you started to lose interest in the actual studies when you only had a couple of classes left, maybe you could manage that, but you wouldn't have been motivated if it was a whole other year. Either way, the degree itself wasn't the point.

If you go to graduate school, the degree won't be the point then, either. To stay motivated, you'll have to be enjoying the process itself. If you're not, if you just see graduate school as a hoop you have to jump through, you won't be able to stick with it.

You're not just a triple Sagittarius (sun, moon, and rising), but a Sagittarius powerhouse. Sagittarius on steroids. You're as close as it gets to being entirely, purely a Sagittarius. Most people with Sagittarius placements also have multiple other signs highlighted, which can bring in some very different energies, and make those other things equally important to them.

Sagittarius with Capricorn would have some need for achievement as well. Sagittarius with Virgo would agree on needing to enjoy the process, but while Sag just cares about the experience itself, Virgo is motivated by working out the details, and perhaps by pride in their work. Sagittarius with Aquarius or Libra would combine the desire for experience with a humanitarian mission statement (Aquarius) or desire to create beauty (Libra). Sagittarius with Taurus would need rootedness and stability as much as the joy of experiencing things.

But all you have outside of Sagittarius is Uranus and Neptune in Capricorn (which could trigger some achievement motive, although Uranus and Neptune don't achieve in the usual way, so I don't think they would help you through grad school if it doesn't meet your Sagittarian needs), and, very crucially, Saturn in Pisces squaring the later half of that Sagittarius stellium. Saturn is, for all practical purposes, your lone outside voice, and from 2014/15 to almost the end of 2017, it was transiting all your Sag placements. That's probably what gave you the ability to settle down and focus on college. Without a Saturn transit at that time, I highly doubt you would've stuck with it. Saturn is what gives us the ability to persevere and stick to something.

I am speaking somewhat from experience here: I have a Sagittarius moon, and Saturn was sitting on it when I started a three year herbalism program (finished last December). All my life, I've usually not wanted to commit to anything long term, because it felt like I was taking away the option of getting up and going somewhere. At that time, I actually was willing to commit to staying put for at least three years.

But now, you don't have Saturn keeping you in place. That's going to make it a lot harder to commit and a lot harder to follow through on anything, at least until Saturn moves into Aquarius and starts aspecting Sag again. Possibly, your natal Saturn square helps you somewhat with commitment, but without transiting Saturn touching your Sag placements, you're not going to be as motivated to buckle down.

To stay motivated for anything, whether it's school or a job or what, you have to be doing something that meets your personal needs for experiences that you enjoy and grow from. If you're not, it won't work, even if it's something that fits the general meaning of Sagittarius. Universities are considered Sagittarian, but pure Sagittarius is really the type to love learning but hate school. Foreign affairs are considered Sagittarian, but working in foreign affairs tends to mean plenty of boring meetings, which pure Sagittarius can't stand. Journalism may or may not really be Sagittarian, depending on what you're actually doing. Running around chasing leads, yes. Methodically checking off your leads, no. Working on an interesting story, yes. Proofreading or boring meetings, no way.

Would you be able to tell me what having these planets in the 1st house could indicate? I can never seem to find much about 1st house and career.
The first house isn't a career house. If someone has the sun, moon, and/or many planets in the sixth or tenth, which are the work and career houses, then the career area of their life is more crucial. They'll probably see a lot of personal growth related to their day-to-day work (sixth house) or their long-term career or being in the spotlight (tenth). In those cases, having the right career, matching it to their sun or moon or planetary message, is especially vital.

For people who don't have those houses highlighted, work and career are not always as vital. They might be able to just have a job, not necessarily one that relates to their personal growth path, and meet their personal growth needs in other areas of their life. However, the sixth and tenth house rulers also have a say in how one needs work and career to go, especially if there are no planets in the sixth or tenth house, so we need to consider the placements of the ruling planets, too.

For you, the first house is the main personal growth area of your life. That means that, whatever you do, whatever you have, you need it to be by and for yourself. With it all in Sagittarius, you need those Sagittarian experiences for yourself. You don't necessarily need to share them with others, and you don't really need others to bring them to you. You just go out and find those Sagittarian experiences for yourself. If you do share those experiences with others, that doesn't make them more fulfilling to you than having them on your own. (In contrast, if you had a lot of Sagittarius in the seventh house, which is other people, your Sagittarian experiences would require the presence of others, or at least you would find them more fulfilling when shared.)

Since the first house and that one sign also contains the rulers of your sixth and tenth houses, you do need your work to fulfill your Sagittarian needs. Which comes back to the "by and for yourself" message of the first house. But, because by and for yourself is how you're living your life anyway, nothing changes in that respect when it comes to career.