Sun Square Ascendant Natal

loveNlive

I am a Leo rising 0 degrees. My sun is in the 10th house at 8 degrees Taurus. So, in essence my sun squares my Ascendant which is ruled by the sun. The 8 degree orb may be a tad wide for some Astrologer's. But this feeling of being my own worst enemy does resonate with me somewhat.

Does anyone have any in depth information on this aspect? Especially with the sun squaring itself by way of my Ascendant.

Many Thanks!

Last edited:

ElenaJ

Sun square your ascendent from the 10th doesn't mean you are your own worst enemy, it just means you present yourself to others in a way that isn't necessarily how you are inside.

loveNlive

Sun square your ascendent from the 10th doesn't mean you are your own worst enemy, it just means you present yourself to others in a way that isn't necessarily how you are inside.[/QUOTE

Well, would the square involving the sun make it difficult for me to see who I am on the inside with me being unaware of this energy? I worded it using the word "unaware" because I feel that with awareness any of the aspects can be embodied in a beneficial way.

And, I suppose the energy from this aspect would help to ease an actress/actor into their role.

And can you explain how the blinding effect of the sun square my Ascendant (ruled by the sun) wouldn't make me my own worse enemy? (When unaware) Does it have anything to do with the sun being in the 10th?

Thursday

When the sun is square the ascendant it is concomitantly conjunct the Mid-Heaven or the Imum Coeli.

From all I know, the idea is that personal expression and close relationships (the Asc-Desc axis) are strained and neglected in favor of individualistic pursuits of personal success & achievement (10th house) or personal security (4th house).

Here is a "professional" analysis from a site I like (myastrologybook.com); it has a slightly different angle on it:

This is a very significant aspect, as the way your express yourself is rough and even explosive at times, running at cross-purposes to your will, goals, and life purpose. You have trouble getting your ideas and thoughts across, and may have decided that your appearance doesn't matter, or even dress in a self-defeating manner. In any event the way you present yourself conflicts with who you really are, making it difficult for others to know or to respect ... you, or even repelling them. It is true that physical appearance is only a temporary covering for the soul. But we meet in a world of time and personalities, and few will take the time or choose to know you unless you present yourself in an interesting or enticing way. It would be wise to become more conscious as to why you make yourself unpresentable.

You were born within an hour or two of either midnight or noon. Astrologically this symbolizes that your Sun sign energy, the flavor of your will and your drive for significance, is in conflict with your ascendant sign energy: your persona, public mask, how you express yourself. All planetary energies must express themselves through the ascendant if they are to be expressed at all, so this is a necessary and unavoidable self-integration on your part. If you were a Sagittarius with Virgo rising, for example, your freedom-loving, larger than life, expansive, story-telling, philosophical Sagittarian energy would be in conflict with the detail-oriented, critical, discriminating and purifying energy of Virgo. In this example you would have to find a way to express your Sagittarian energy with a Virgo modality, or you would remain unexpressed and defeated by life. One way would be to see that in attending to the endless details of your grand schemes and in being truly discriminating and detail-oriented about your big story, you give them the honor they deserve and bring them forward with a perfection and maturity that will be valued, seen and received by others, and will therefore will succeed. Your story is worth telling, Sagittarius; just give it the patience, love and attention it (and you) deserve).
It is important to consider the quadruplicity (cardinal, fixed or mutable signs) that this square is in. Mutable squares (between Gemini or Sagittarius and Virgo or Pisces) need an adjustment in thinking or attitude and are telling you that you need to change your mind about something. Cardinal squares (between Aries or Libra and Cancer or Capricorn) can be handled by appropriate action, or by changing or ceasing the way you go after or start things. Fixed squares (between Taurus or Scorpio and Leo or Aquarius) are the hardest to deal with because they symbolize your will, which is far harder to surrender or to change than thought or action.
My first teacher Isabel Hickey thought that squares or oppositions in mutable signs are just beginning to manifest in this lifetime and are therefore the easiest to handle. Squares or oppositions in cardinal signs, on the other hand, are carried over from our last lifetime. If handled appropriately through constructive action they won't manifest in the next life in fixed signs. And squares or oppositions in fixed signs symbolize “lessons we have failed to learn over many lifetimes, and are deeply ingrained patterns of behavior.” And because they symbolize our will and have become habituated ways of being or responding, they need a great deal of attention and self-discipline to change.

loveNlive

When the sun is square the ascendant it is concomitantly conjunct the Mid-Heaven or the Imum Coeli.

From all I know, the idea is that personal expression and close relationships (the Asc-Desc axis) are strained and neglected in favor of individualistic pursuits of personal success & achievement (10th house) or personal security (4th house).

Here is a "professional" analysis from a site I like (myastrologybook.com); it has a slightly different angle on it:

From my own personal experiences I do agree with relationships being strained or neglected for both personal success and personal security. Especially when I feel that my ability to freely express myself is being threatened by way of MC (success) or IC (security). However, being aware of these feelings is an indication of honoring my Uranus conjunct IC energy and remaining true to the deepest parts of who I am in innovative and genius ways without "reacting" in a way that pushes people away, but rather is inclusive of my way of being and therefore other people's way of being. The more compassionate and accepting I am towards my eccentricities, the more compassionate and accepting I am towards others without compromising who I am. Seeing that my Sun is squaring my Ascendant, which is ruled by the sun, this aspect feels all the more emphasized.

I am very conscious of how I present myself (Leo Ascendant) and put a fair amount of effort into my looks as far as my dress and my hair. This is important to me. Perhaps if my Ascendant was something other than Leo, how I presented myself to others would not be such a big deal. So, the physical appearance interpretation of this square does not relate to me at all.

That being said, I do see the conflict of my Sun in Taurus clinging to all that is peaceful, harmonious, grounding, healing, and earthy in a tree hugging okay with being alone kind of way contacting my Ascendant in Leo appreciating accolades, applause, and attention in dynamic and fun loving ways. The Integration of these two fixed earth and fire signs is possible and quite powerful. There is an amount of beauty and skill in regards to this square - giving it the attention needed to integrate does lend itself to being aware and focused in the moment seeing as how these two fixed signs embody an enormous amount of will power. That same will power can be used for integration.

Other parts of my natal chart also shape my approach to this square and other squares and oppositions that I have. I have lived with the "emphasis" of sun square sun for so long until it's difficult to feel the difference in say the sun square Jupiter or Saturn.