The Nature of the Sign Capricorn in Traditional Astrology

david starling

As a guest unfamiliar with all Traditional opinions concerning the Sign known as Capricorn, are there any positive traits associated with that Sign, by any of the ancient astrologers? Thanks!

JUPITERASC

There's one opinion!
My Ascendant is in Aquarius in sidereal, so it doesn't apply to me, thankfully.
And, in tropical Tradition, I have no placements in Capricorn.
Any other opinions?
another opinion is that one needs to form ones own opinion
by for example researching ancient texts oneself :smile:
after all
ours is an astrological learning forum
not a free personal individual tuition forum
by the way since you have no Tropical placements in Capricorn
one wonders at the reasons for your enquiry
just curious!

moonkat235

Hey David!

I'm looking into this subject too, because I'm Cap rising and have stayed away from traditional because it makes me out to be rather gloomy I suppose. lol Anyway, here's some quotes that might be worthwhile for you to read if you want to interpret yourself? I feel like the first quote isn't so bad compared to the second. haha Then again, I'm just an astro noob, so sorry if this is repeat information!

Here's a quote from that text Petosiris linked on "Intro to Hellenistic Astrology..."

If the ascendant is in Capricorn, the native will always show pure affection for his friends. He will be tricky and happy and will lack nothing for his subsistence. He will travel; those he helps will always be ungrateful. He will be likeable, but of small mind; he will annoy the gods with long-winded prayers, but his resources will be plentiful. He will be involved with passionate women but will be the kind who curses them once his pleasure is fulfilled. The secrets ofsacred rites or a foreign way of life or a hidden religion will be known to him.

And then there's this from Valens or whatever:

Capricorn is the house of Saturn, feminine, tropic, earthy, destructive, barren, downward-trending, chilling, mute, servile, the cause of troubles, brutal, lurking, mysterious, two-natured, moist, half–finished <=childless?>, a hunchback, lame, the Descendant of the universe, indicative of misfortune and toil, a sculptor, a farmer. /11P/ Men born under this sign are bad, warped. They pretend goodness and sincerity. They are toilsome, burdened with care, insomniac, fond of jokes, plotters of great deeds, prone to make
unfortunate mistakes, fickle, criminal, lying, always criticizing, shameful.

Capricorn is temperate on both sides. By parts it is as follows: the first parts are destructive,, the second moist, stormy, changeable; the middle parts are fiery; the last destructive. It has … stars. According to the Sphaerica, Casseiopeia and the right part of Pegasus rise with it in the north. In the
south the rear of Centaurus and the legs of Hydra (up to the Crater) set <while Capricorn is rising>. These are the gods: Venus, the moon, Ceres, Mercury. On the north there is nothing.

david starling

Hey David!

I'm looking into this subject too, because I'm Cap rising and have stayed away from traditional because it makes me out to be rather gloomy I suppose. lol Anyway, here's some quotes that might be worthwhile for you to read if you want to interpret yourself? I feel like the first quote isn't so bad compared to the second. haha Then again, I'm just an astro noob, so sorry if this is repeat information!

Here's a quote from that text Petosiris linked on "Intro to Hellenistic Astrology..."

If the ascendant is in Capricorn, the native will always show pure affection for his friends. He will be tricky and happy and will lack nothing for his subsistence. He will travel; those he helps will always be ungrateful. He will be likeable, but of small mind; he will annoy the gods with long-winded prayers, but his resources will be plentiful. He will be involved with passionate women but will be the kind who curses them once his pleasure is fulfilled. The secrets ofsacred rites or a foreign way of life or a hidden religion will be known to him.

And then there's this from Valens or whatever:

Capricorn is the house of Saturn, feminine, tropic, earthy, destructive, barren, downward-trending, chilling, mute, servile, the cause of troubles, brutal, lurking, mysterious, two-natured, moist, half–finished <=childless?>, a hunchback, lame, the Descendant of the universe, indicative of misfortune and toil, a sculptor, a farmer. /11P/ Men born under this sign are bad, warped. They pretend goodness and sincerity. They are toilsome, burdened with care, insomniac, fond of jokes, plotters of great deeds, prone to make
unfortunate mistakes, fickle, criminal, lying, always criticizing, shameful.

Capricorn is temperate on both sides. By parts it is as follows: the first parts are destructive,, the second moist, stormy, changeable; the middle parts are fiery; the last destructive. It has … stars. According to the Sphaerica, Casseiopeia and the right part of Pegasus rise with it in the north. In the
south the rear of Centaurus and the legs of Hydra (up to the Crater) set <while Capricorn is rising>. These are the gods: Venus, the moon, Ceres, Mercury. On the north there is nothing.

Who was the first quote from? Was it specified?

david starling

Firmicus Maternus from that link Petosiris gave you on the Hellenistic Astrology thread.

I thought it would be most expeditious to just copy paste the info to you rather than send you a huge link.
Thanks!
Keep in mind that petosiris is working from a sidereal perspective, with a 25 degree move backward from a tropical placement. So, unless your tropical Ascendant is 25 degrees Capricorn or more, your Asc is in Sagittarius from his viewpoint.

moonkat235

Thanks!
Keep in mind that petosiris is working from a sidereal perspective, with a 25 degree move backward from a tropical placement. So, unless your tropical Ascendant is 25 degrees Capricorn or more, your Asc is in Sagittarius from his viewpoint.

Oh right right. I totally forgot about that. Yes, I'm Sagittarius rising under that perspective. Moves my Moon-Saturn conjunction to Aquarius too.