reading aspects

dobro

Hi, newbie here, with a basic question about reading aspects. I'm using The Astrologer's Handbook by Sakoian and Acker, which is pretty good I think. So I look up what they have to say about an aspect, for example Sun square Pluto, and I read what it says and I mull it and maybe see something. Okay, first question: after I've more or less taken on the general meaning of the aspect, I then have to apply that meaning to the signs involved, right? So in my case it's a Taurus sun square a Leo Pluto. So which one do I start with, the planets in their signs and then work toward the planets in their aspects, or the other way round? Or does it not matter?

And then there's the whole question of those planets in their houses as well, which complicates things even further - Taurus is in the eighth house in this case, and Pluto in the eleventh.

Okay, is there a useful way to go about all this, or is it a matter of muddling through?

aspicco

Welcome to the joys & frustrations of astrology... besides all the things you considered above, you have to add in the rest of the chart too.

But to simplify, I aways consider the planets involved and the aspect first. As an example, Sun square Pluto is the strongest part of that combo. Regardless of which signs or houses are involved, there will be a similarity across the board in all cases of Sun square Pluto. The signs help tint the interpretation, and the houses add some more info, but in my experience, it is the aspexts and planets that have the strongest influence.

As a simpler example, if someone has Mars & Saturn conjunct, regardless of the signs involved, they are going to be someone who has difficulty taking action. The type or style of difficulty will vary if those planets are in Virgo or Aries or Pisces... but the issue will remain difficulty taking action.

dobro

Okay, so the aspect itself is the thing, and the signs and houses involved lend a particular flavor to the aspect (and the context is the whole chart, which lends a particular weight or spin to each and all of the various aspects).

Okay, that's useful - thanks. But can I fine tune this a bit? Would you say, in the example you gave about the Saturn/Mars conjunction, that although the difficulty taking action will be seen throughout the native's personality, that...

1 that difficulty will take on the flavor of the signs and houses the conjunction is in? ("the difficulty taking action is of this particular variety")

2 that difficulty will operate particularly strongly in the areas of life indicated by that sign and house? ("the difficulty taking action is a generic one, but it takes on particular significance in these signs and houses")

Last edited:

aspicco

Essentially, to what you proposed,yes.

I used the Mars/Saturn example because I have it in Scorpio on my descendant axis... throughout my life, in all areas, I manifest S/M conjunct... I have trouble starting things, but once I finally get started, I am consistent and focused... that applies throughout my life in all areas... however, because it is in Scorpio, I am very passionate when I finally take action, it really has to matter... and when I get involved in one-to-one relationships, I am often at first reluctant, and then gung-ho...

Here is one simple formula to look at it... planets are the impetus and the energy, the signs are how that energy will manifest, and the houses are where it will be strongest... (and you can add in aspects as how planets interact their energies) but remember, as in my personal example above the Mars/Saturn manifests in all of my life, in an intense Scorpio manner, but is strongest in one-to-one relationships and partnerships...

wilsontc

Staff member
a simpler way, to dobro

dobro,

There is an easier way to get the astro-basics. Just go to the link below this posting and go through the six steps. Afterwards the Sakoian and Acker information will be MUCH more useful.

Usefully,

Tim

dobro

Hi Tim - thanks for the link to the step-by-step site. I wouldn't exactly call it 'easy' but it's certainly well-organized lol. The steps on that site look like they'll be useful to me - there's stuff there I haven't come across in books yet. I'm taking my time with this, because I not only want to know WHAT my chart means, but WHY it means it - I'm trying to understand the meanings of the planets, signs, houses and aspects so that I understand why different authors and sites say that a chart means this or that.

aspicco

Usually, you will find all those different authors re all describing the same thing from slightly difrent points of view... these is a common theme through them all...

It might help if you lookk at your chart AND the charts of a couple of friends or relatives... just looking at one chart is going to be a little limiting, even if it is such a fascinating topic as yourself!

(that was just a joke... I did the same thing too when I started studying astrology)

Undo

Welcome the forums, dobro!

I was in your situation recently. As others have stated, welcome to the joys and frustrations of Astrology.

WilsonTC's site is very helpful, I have another one for you as well that I've found.

http://www.careerastrology.awakeningsastrology.com/academics/symbols.htm

I'd suggest saving the webpage to your computer.
If you're using Firefox press CTRL + S.

I've found it to be very helpful, especially in conjunction with WilsonTC's introduction.