Weird Trigonometry class.

athenian200

I've been taking a Trigonometry class over Winter Term, and it hasn't been working out that well.

I've been studying very hard, and getting 100% on all the assigned homework. But I'm doing poorly on in-class quizzes, and I'm making B's instead of A's on my tests despite knowing the material fairly well.

The thing is, I always recognize the mistakes in my mind's eye right after I get home, but they aren't apparent to me while I'm in class.

I would normally think it was just my study habits, but the class average was 71... so everyone else is actually doing worse than I am.

I'm just wondering why it feels like I'm having to fight so hard to do well.

Here are some odd things I wanted to note about the class:

• The teacher had trouble finding the classroom on the first day, even though he taught in that classroom every day last semester.

• The class computers and PowerPoint presentations are failing for odd reasons, and I have the only hard copy of the textbook in the whole class, so he often has to ask for my book to help him teach the class.

• We're frequently interrupted by these weird jackhammer-like noises and having to move between classrooms to avoid the noise.

• The last-minute questions I ask the teacher before a test often make him recognize that he made a typo on the review or failed to cover a subject he talked about adequately in our homework, so he takes 15 minutes at the start of class to cover it one more time before the test.

Another thing I should note about Winter Term is that it's basically supposed to be covering an entire semester of material in 12 class sessions that are 3.5 hours long, lasting from 9:00AM to 12:30PM.

We are out of school until January 5th, where we come back for a final week. I would be studying right now, but MyMathLab is down for a scheduled upgrade for the next few hours.

One thing that's been bothering me about the class is that, on tests and quizzes, I'm expected to show every step of my work carefully, and in a specific format. The thing is, the online homework doesn't adequately prepare me for that, because the computer only requires me to enter a correct answer in order to receive credit.

Worse, the online homework is often so predictable that it's easy to get into a "rhythm" where I see patterns and enter a correct answer immediately without really thinking about what I'm doing, finishing all my homework within an hour or two (when it should take several hours).

I normally wouldn't think much about Astrology while doing Math, but Astrological symbolism keeps getting thrown in my face. I get asked questions about the radius/speed of planets in the solar system, the textbook keeps making references to Ptolemy, the Babylonians, the Greeks, and the Egyptians, and there's a lot of talk about 90 degree, 60 degree, and 180 degree angles in relation to imaginary triangles and circles.

Anyway... here's a chart I cast for the beginning of this class, since I was bored.

ra3N41b.gif

The first thing that jumps out at me as a potentially negative energy for a Math class is that Mercury and the Sun are in the 12th house in Sagittarius, and I personally tend to find that Jupiter influences aren't the best thing for Mathematics (although I'm sure some people would disagree).

So, do you see the difficulties associated with the class represented in the chart, or are all the difficulties related to other factors like MyMathLab being inadequate, the abbreviated schedule, and the teacher being overwhelmed?

All I can say is that for some reason, I feel that my performance in this class isn't representative of my actual capabilities, and that I could easily be doing a lot better in a different class.

athenian200

mymathlab is a JOKE!

is this horary or an event?

Yeah, it really isn't a good tool unless you aren't getting the concepts at all. Half the time, you have to mess up a problem deliberately to see how they want the answer inputted, but then once you know what you're doing... your brain gets used to the pattern and you can input correct answers without even thinking.

Anyway, it's definitely not a horary chart.

I picked the exact date, time, and place that the class started to cast the chart. Would that considered be an event chart representing the class? I'm assuming that "a class" could be a process that begins on the first day of class, and terminates when the final exam is given. In this case, the first day of class started on December 15th at 9:00AM, and the final day of class will end on January 9th at 12:30PM.

Last edited:

tikana

hi athenian200,

my problem with mymathlab is this *i tutored math up to calc 2*
it fundamentally is not helping you to understand the pattern of thinking which you need if you are going to advance into discreet mathematics. My classmate got bachlors in math i can tell you me and him were ripping Mymathapart.
We had the same problem with C++ and Java.. it follows the same pattern of flaws.

if you need math help, lemme know

I might be able to help you

can you post regio chart as well .. i cant figure out what is going on

T

Last edited:

athenian200

hi athenian200,

my problem with mymathlab is this *i tutored math up to calc 2*
it fundamentally is not helping you to understand the pattern of thinking which you need if you are going to advance into discreet mathematics. My classmate got bachlors in math i can tell you me and him were ripping Mymathapart.
We had the same problem with C++ and Java.. it follows the same pattern of flaws.

if you need math help, lemme know

I might be able to help you

can you post regio chart as well .. i cant figure out what is going on

T

I really wish I didn't have to take so much Math for the field I'm interested in, but I know I'll have to take Calculus and Discreet Math in order to get into Computer Science. So that's definitely a big deal. I know that Precalculus and up switch over to something called WebAssign at my school. Trigonometry and below use MML.

I may end up needing your help in a month or so when I enter Precalculus and up. I actually have some natural talent with Geometry and Trigonometry, though I struggled a lot with Intermediate Algebra. Especially matrices and mixture problems.

Do you mean Regiomontanus house system? If so, here it is...

JgWkAFO.gif

Not sure if that will help, though.

Last edited:

tikana

i dont see a problem you passing it
cause look Moon is in your 9th that is the class (*female teacher?*)
moon sextiles saturn

if you need help with C++, i got it covered

glad to help !

ohh yeah and L10 success is in your 1st house

trig is FUN!

calc 1 is cool
Calc 2 is basically upgrade of calc 1
discreet math if you do well in calc 2 .. discreet math is a breeze

you will have to take full year of physics or chemistry.. if you are ggood with geometry, physics is the way to go

Last edited:

athenian200

i dont see a problem you passing it
cause look Moon is in your 9th that is the class (*female teacher?*)
moon sextiles saturn

if you need help with C++, i got it covered

glad to help !

ohh yeah and L10 success is in your 1st house

trig is FUN!

calc 1 is cool
Calc 2 is basically upgrade of calc 1
discreet math if you do well in calc 2 .. discreet math is a breeze

you will have to take full year of physics or chemistry.. if you are ggood with geometry, physics is the way to go

Uhh... it sounds like you're interpreting it as horary? Not sure this sounds right. Actually, the teacher is male, but he's had to make the class extremely easy... he's doing things like cutting out the Mastery Tests that are usually assigned before an exam, giving less homework, and giving easy questions on the exams that come straight out of MML's pool of questions. If I were good at showing my work step-by-step and drawing accurate graphs, I wouldn't be having issues at all.

But yeah, this class would definitely be a lot more fun if it weren't being rushed... the only reason I wanted to rush it so much is because I have to take Precalculus, three separate Calculus classes, two Physics courses, and Discreet Math after this (aside from the programming classes). Without Summer/Winter terms, I'm looking at two and a half more years in Community College, with some terms where I'm only taking one or two classes (due to the way the Math sequence works). I'm basically trying to pare that down to one and a half years.

I'm not too worried about the programming, because I'm pretty good at reading/writing programs in C++, C, and C#. I haven't worked with Java before, though... I dislike it because it seems really slow and limited somehow.

tikana

But yeah, this class would definitely be a lot more fun if it weren't being rushed... the only reason I wanted to rush it so much is because I have to take Precalculus, three separate Calculus classes, two Physics courses, and Discreet Math after this (aside from the programming classes). Without Summer/Winter terms, I'm looking at two and a half more years in Community College, with some terms where I'm only taking one or two classes (due to the way the Math sequence works). I'm basically trying to pare that down to one and a half years.

Same zoo here! same **** thing

agrh I HATE java
it is so limited and slow and simpler than C++

yeah i am not good at reading event chart tob honest
i tried

athenian200

Well, I finally got a grade back on that Exam. I made a 79.58%.

That's basically high enough that I won't drop the class, but low enough that I'm rethinking my study habits.

Let me put it this way... I usually make a grade of 70 or so when I don't study or absorb anything from class at all. In other words, it basically means I'm coasting along on whatever I learned before I started class, and that nothing I'm learning is "sticking." In this case, I only gained about 8-10 points worth of knowledge from all my studying and homework. Everything else is just managing to recall stuff I knew from Geometry 7 years ago.

I'm hoping things will be different when I come back to class on the 5th, since I will have studied most of the book at that point.

I wish I could pull all-nighters with Math like I do with other subjects when I get behind or have a test tomorrow. But it seems like with Math, it's nearly impossible to process it when you're tired. It's like there are these annoying little unwritten rules with Math.

1. You WILL be expected to remember every little thing you've ever learned, even if it was decades ago.

2. You MUST be well-rested and well-fed to do well. There's no room for dieting or pulling all-nighters, so prepare to gain weight, go to bed early, and spend mornings studying.

3. There are no shortcuts. Just knowing the right answer isn't enough, you MUST show every single step in a specific way. If you forget part of the process or the expected notation, that's just as bad as getting it wrong.

Last edited:

athenian200

I finished up the class entirely. The final two major grades were around 80.83% on Exam 3 (January 8th), and 73.8% on the Final Exam (January 9th).

I suspect the reason my grade was so low on the final was because the Final Exam took place one day after Exam 3. I had homework over the last chapter and a Mastery Test due that night, so I didn't have any time to study anything independently.

Getting Exam 3 back right before taking another one didn't actually help me... it just confused me and caused me to second-guess myself.

I made a 100% on the homework, and 94% on the Mastery Test. I also had two more quiz scores that helped my Quiz grade a lot. Quiz 3 was over Chapter 4, which I had studied during our week off. I made a 97.5% on that quiz. Quiz 4 was actually an in-class activity before the final that involved unscrambling a word formed from the correct answer key. I identified the word "COSINE" hidden in the answers very quickly, and got a 100% for finding it.

That brought my average Quiz grade to 73.8%, which is the exact same percentage (to the decimal place) as my Final Exam score.

Overall, I guess I okay (I made a B-), but I'm probably never going to take an accelerated class again.

Last edited: