A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

katydid

No drama, please. Just well-considered insights.

Do you think the generational planets tell us anything about the state of racial relations in various cycles?

I have always thought that Pluto in Cancer was an impetus for the fight for civil human rights. And people sacrificed greatly for those gains.

During this Pluto in Capricorn era, BlackLivesMatter was born and has made a great impact.

CapAquaPis

Two ways to view race relations in America: This is the freest nation on earth, where everyone has civil rights and equal access to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But, as recently as the 1990s, many whites didn't like blacks and they dominated the country to kept African-Americans from having full equality, starting with slavery for the country's first 250 years until the civil war (1860s) and the next century with Jim Crow, esp. in the Southern US, where slavery was fought for by the defeated Confederacy, and the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s should brought great positive change to the African-American experience, but not everybody (the reduced to 70% white Anglo majority population as of 2015) changes their mind in how they perceive racial/ethnic minorities, like Jews, Latinos and East/South Asians.

I'm in California where whites are just another numerical ethnic minority, after Hispanics/Latinos (almost 40%), Asians and Pacific Islanders (totals at 20%), Blacks or African-Americans (ranges from 6 to 10%), and "others" like Native Americans (about 5?%) along with people who claim two races/ ethnicities. The issue of race should be less important to people in a diverse place, but racism is still a problem we face in this state and nationwide. And the PC response to racism: "Let's not talk about it, then it will go away" is a terrible approach to the situation, seems like the only "rule" in race relations. In the 1990s, when race relations soured, Los Angeles (the South-Central section) broke out in urban rioting, due to their police brutality on blacks and the results of the LAPD officers declared not guilty in the Rodney King trial.

AppLeo

From my observations, the younger generations are more accepting. Older generations tend to hold onto their racism.

As we progress into the future, I think racism will cease to exist.

Nowadays, it's considered uncool to be racist among young people.

Although, the radical/extreme feminists or BLM can be racist at times. Not racist towards black people, but towards white people. Which is ironic because that completely contradicts their goals.

david starling

From my observations, the younger generations are more accepting. Older generations tend to hold onto their racism.

Although, the radical/extreme feminists or BLM can be racist at times. Not racist towards black people, but towards white people. Which is ironic because that completely contradicts their goals.

I think the extremists you're talking about are feeling resentment, not racism. They perceive themselves as being treated as second-class citizens by American society in general, which happens to be mostly under the influence of Euro-Americans. If you "walked a mile in their moccasins" you might find yourself understanding how they feel. Especially if you meet up with some of the EXTREME, out-front bigots from Texas and the Southern States. Scary! Here we are, being of European descent, not having the same problems with racism, criticizing some of those who do for being resentful about it.

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

Astrology is, by nature, intrinsically non-racist.

But signs can rule over groups of people, nations and cultures. It doesn't make a group "better" or "lesser" though, because it never concerns astrologers. The sign ruling the USA is Gemini, thus Americans of all backgrounds are affected by Gemini. The sign for African-Americans is thought to be Scorpio, for Japan it is Pisces, and for Ashkenazi Jews Capricorn. And the state of Oklahoma has a Leo, where my Cherokee ancestors hailed from (Indian Territory 1838-1907).

AppLeo

But signs can rule over groups of people, nations and cultures. It doesn't make a group "better" or "lesser" though, because it never concerns astrologers. The sign ruling the USA is Gemini, thus Americans of all backgrounds are affected by Gemini. The sign for African-Americans is thought to be Scorpio, for Japan it is Pisces, and for Ashkenazi Jews Capricorn. And the state of Oklahoma has a Leo, where my Cherokee ancestors hailed from (Indian Territory 1838-1907).

How does a sign rule over a group of people?

blackbery

Think you are right about this. Many older people still live in the era where they believed themselves to be more 'superior' than other races,
particularly the African-American and Asian races. They were both 'slaves' in the USA for decades.

Would like to believe that racism will cease to exist eventually but not sure if that will ever happen. There is always 'scapegoating' of minorities when times are tough, individually and collectively. They just move from group to group. Jews, Muslims, African-Americans, Hispanics, Asian-Americans, Native Americans are always the targets.

:sad::sad::sad:

CapAquaPis

Throughout US history, many groups of people were disliked, scapegoated, discriminated, marginalized and segregated by the majority society. In the 1800s, Americans often hated each other (Northerners vs Southerners in the Civil War-1860s), Mormons, the Irish were intensely viewed badly, the British and French-both ethnic groups live in Canada. In the 20th century, Germans were "spies and saboteurs" during WW1, Jews in the 1920s-40s by fringe anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists, the mass internment of Japanese in the west coast during WW2, Blacks (esp the 1950s-70s), throughout time: the Chinese and Indians, Mexicans and Puerto Ricans, Native Americans and Native Hawaiians, and since 9/11 (2001), Muslims were crudely stereotyped.

For my generation (born 1980), we tend to be more tolerant of Blacks than our grandparents generation, whom actually were strongly sympathetic to Jews as the result of the Nazis' Holocaust in Europe. Our Baby-boomer parents were in the Civil Rights movement and rejected many forms of racism, but comparably in the 1980s-2000s there was more homophobia against LGBT people. The current generation in high school are tolerant of LGBT people, more aware of them and they don't really care who's Gay or Straight among their peers. And in the future (30 years from now), society will come to face with assisting 10% of the adult population diagnosed with autism, since society is more aware but unable to accept people with autism.

CapAquaPis

Not only African-Americans are negatively represented in the media (comedies, movies and music videos) to fuel ever-burning racism in this country, Italian-Americans (media watchdog groups) complained about The Sopranos, Jersey Shore, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Real Housewives of New Jersey depicted them as "vulgar, low-class, thuggish and criminals". If society hadn't disliked Italians in like half-a-century, why are these stereotypes allowed to be perpetuated in the name of entertainment value, even if it's defamatory? And in the 1960s-70s, Polish jokes were popular (esp. in Hollywood), but the Polish community protested and stated these offensive and hurtful jokes originated in Nazi propaganda against Poles as a "sub-human" race in the 1930s-40s, when Germany invaded/ occupied Poland in WW2. Today, Poland is no longer under Soviet communist rule and the Pope John Paul II era made Americans to view Polish people more human, so the need to tell Polish jokes became unwanted.

CapAquaPis

How does a sign rule over a group of people?

It may be caused by 3 things in a country's natal chart or the culture's earliest moments of foundation: 1. Sun Sign at the moment of foundation, 2. Parans chart - sun sign in descendant - the 4th house is the "sign", and 3. Ascendant or rising. The Cherokee people's sign is actually Libra, based on their beliefs the tribe began in the autumnal equinox about 3,000 years ago. The sun sign of Japan is also theorized to be Aries - common among great military empires in world history. And the USA founded on July 4, 1776 when the sun is in Cancer.

conspiracy theorist

I wouldn't be too quick to say that the younger generation is less accepting of racism. With the March of progressivism moving forward, there is a vital counter-culture that is developing which is more nationalistic and skeptical of immigrants/outgroups. Haven't been following the landscape for awhile but the last time I checked there was a rise in nationalist groups all across Europe, with the demographics leaning toward the younger set of the population. No doubt many people are feeling the moe distasteful effects of copious immigration in their nations, which many didn't agree to, or were unconcerned about in the first place.

AppLeo

I wouldn't be too quick to say that the younger generation is less accepting of racism. With the March of progressivism moving forward, there is a vital counter-culture that is developing which is more nationalistic and skeptical of immigrants/outgroups. Haven't been following the landscape for awhile but the last time I checked there was a rise in nationalist groups all across Europe, with the demographics leaning toward the younger set of the population. No doubt many people are feeling the moe distasteful effects of copious immigration in their nations, which many didn't agree to, or were unconcerned about in the first place.

Ohh... well I was just saying from my experience. Almost no one at my high school was racist.

katydid

I think the extremists you're talking about are feeling resentment, not racism. They perceive themselves as being treated as second-class citizens by American society in general, which happens to be mostly under the influence of Euro-Americans. If you "walked a mile in their moccasins" you might find yourself understanding how they feel. Especially if you meet up with some of the EXTREME, out-front bigots from Texas and the Southern States. Scary! Here we are, being of European descent, not having the same problems with racism, criticizing some of those who do for being resentful about it.

There are always a few other points of view, in any really complicated cultural issue. :bandit:

One example, my friend's son, who is super liberal and progressive, is a student at the ultra progressive Evergreen College up North. He is an avid supporter of BlackLivesMatter.

He came home this summer, end of sophomore year, and wants to transfer somewhere else---anywhere else. And he is actually afraid of some of the black activists who have taken over and were walking around at night with baseball bats and threatening students over silly BS.

He has been told he can't speak at some community meetings, because only the black students can speak. He has been told to stand in the back of the line, several times, when at lunch room. And he said the Black Student Union is full of bullies and racists. And he was working hard as their ally and volunteer.

But he said that the 'micro aggressions' list has gotten so petty and ridiculous---and so vicious when someone inadvertently 'breaks a micro rule.'

He asked a hispanic student if he knew the spanish term for something and he got angrily called out as a racist for doing so. He told a black student she did a great job on her class presentation--and a group of black students jumped all over him, saying that was rude and racist to compliment her on being articulate because it assumes she wasn't going to be, so it is an insult. :pouty:

he has had it with the way the black students have taken over the campus and made actual teaching and learning grind to a halt.

So your speech is all well and good. And I totally agree that the past was very ugly and inexcusable.

But these students at Evergreen, who are shutting down the campus with violent protests, and calling for a day 'without whites' on campus, telling all whites to stay home for the day,, are going overboard. :bandit:

I say that because they are not protesting at a place that is racist or discriminatory. They are protesting and creating mayhem in one of the most liberal and progressive places in the entire world. They are attacking white students who are not racist or prejudiced.

But when the Black Activists forcibly shut down the campus until their list of demands are met--many which are petty and entitled--they are losing support from others who had once supported them.

Like my friend's son. He put a lot of time and effort into BLM. And they turned on him, for no apparent reason.

The black student activists are in a great private University. They have all the opportunities in the world at their feet right now. They can study, learn, graduate, and move into the world and make great changes they envision.

I think it is a waste of time to attack their supporters.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...this-video-of-a-college-take-over-went-viral/

Black activists are angry this video of a college take over went viral

david starling

For some, the ugly past isn't just "water under the bridge", "forget about it", "pretend it never happened". In many nations, even ancient history is still a burning issue. It's going to take Individualists of all races and religions to realize that it's time for a new beginning. Not everyone can do that. This is mob-mentality anger and resentment you're describing, over perceived racism embedded in the Euro-American hegemony of the U.S. economy. It's a reaction, not a cause.