Precessed natal chart vs. birth chart, anyone?

1448mary

I'm not much into predictive astrology because the power of suggestion is so strong, but I predicted an unlikely event because I saw a positive result ("will I get a call from a national figure to whom I sent a letter?") and was an hour off using the precessed chart, and am wondering what others have experienced. I'm an on-and-off astrologer (since 1978!), but haven't done a lot of research - the precessed charts just seem to work well. Comments/advice or experiential testimony in this area would be greatly appreciated - and thanks!

1448mary

Thanks for the references, Astrologer50, and also for cluing me in that (it appears) specific charts are usually discussed. I don't have a specific chart in mind right now, it was a general question, and perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

I wasn't talking about using a sidereal zodiac ( I do understand what precession of the equinoxes, et al). The technique I use is discussed by Rob Hand (although other astrologers use it as well). The tropical zodiac is used to cast the natal chart and the angles & other cusps remain the same, but the individual planets are "precessed" (corrected for precession) at the rate of actual precession, around 50.26" for each year of the life. Hand gives a table for this so it doesn't have to be calculated except between birthdays, although I understand many computer programs are equipped to do so.

This method has worked well for me in timing transits, but I can't find a way to do it using astro.com and it's a real pain to do it manually! I've heard pros and cons correcting the planets for precession, and was curious if anyone in this forum had an opinion. Guess I'll just keep penciling the corrections in.

I love it that you pointed out the article on the skepdic.com - ALL the skeptics say astrology is bunk because flaky astrologers don't even realize that the physical zodiac has changed! It's funny to see it in print - rather than irritating to hear it spoken in conversation and have to explain that astrologers are not stupid with some degree of serenity! Thanks again, Astrologer50.

JUPITERASC

..........I wasn't talking about using a sidereal zodiac ( I do understand what precession of the equinoxes, et al). The technique I use is discussed by Rob Hand (although other astrologers use it as well). The tropical zodiac is used to cast the natal chart and the angles & other cusps remain the same, but the individual planets are "precessed" (corrected for precession) at the rate of actual precession, around 50.26" for each year of the life. Hand gives a table for this so it doesn't have to be calculated except between birthdays, although I understand many computer programs are equipped to do so.

This method has worked well for me in timing transits, but I can't find a way to do it using astro.com and it's a real pain to do it manually! I've heard pros and cons correcting the planets for precession, and was curious if anyone in this forum had an opinion. Guess I'll just keep penciling the corrections in.

As you say, when a tropical chart is 'precessed' in the way you mention, (by ignoring the actual cusps and signs on those cusps and not precessing those) the result is accurate prediction. :smile:

1448mary

Thanks very much for the feedback, JupiterAsc. I appreciate the confirmation from a senior member, and also your good advice via Hippocrates!