How did you get on with Mother/moon?

I now your not supposed to just isolate moon alone without looking at the aspects etc, but for this thread, just try and see if you can identify some traits.....

[deleted overly-long quote from copyrighted text - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

rogue_red

MOON IN CAPRICORN OR IN THE TENTH HOUSE
The mother was probably somewhat reserved and severe, and the emphasis in her life was on practicality and duty rather than on fulfilment of desires. She probably did not believe in much emotional expression, but instead emphasised a sober, patient, and pragmatic outlook on life. As a result, these individuals are probably repressed emotionally. They have a strong sense of duty and responsibility to themselves. In other cases, such people tend to overemphasise the duty and responsibility others have toward them and can be not only cold, but selfish as well. [shortened quote because it was too long for copyrighted text - Moderator]

These description that you are using here, im not sure if I really like how they end.."if you are involved with this sort...do not expect an abundance of concern for you; the mother`s example taught your partner to be cold and rather unfeeling ‑ unless other factors in the chart offset this coldness." I can see how it might seem as tho moon in cap is cold and unfeeling but that is not capricorn. Capricorns, sun or moon natives feel just as deeply and as passionately as any other sign its just that capricorns will not tolerate public expression of such feelings, it just isnt respectable. Being an earthly sign capricorn shows affection and love in a tangible way just as my mother showed her love for me by doing what she believed was for my best. Wrongly or rightly so my mother believed that by providing a firm structured home full of routine and control that she was preparing us for the cold unyeilding world. I believe that my mother did everything out of the purest form of maternal love. I acknowlege that my mother emotionally starved me and psychologically neglected me but it wasnt because she didnt care, she just didnt know.

Last edited by a moderator:

cassanra

Moon in Virgo in the 6th....mom neat and organized..heck no! Very much the opposite! I think I developed my sense of need for some order from being with out order. Pratical...no, diligent...maybe...hardworking..yes. She was a teacher in the arts and struggling in a mans world in the university. But she is warm and affectionate and my best friend. She does nag though but mostly it was about your weight or odd ball stuff.

I would say these descriptions match my mother she has Moon in 7th Pisces she put emphasis on having a relationship. I was just reading my little boys Moon to see how he perceives me he has Capricorn Moon in 5th I am dutiful and feel burdened in trying to be a mother and find time to pursue my own interests. I like the 5th house Moon description, generous, attractive, intelligent, the queen lol :D . I guess he will see me in many different lights according to the rest of his aspects, he has an exact Moon/Chiron conjunction in 5th Capricorn. I had a report done which said he was looking for a mother who is a teacher and he has profound compassion for all my difficulties and capacity to survive them. I just hope he doesn't ever feel I have hurt him or rejected him with this Chiron aspect but parents can never be perfect we are human beings too. We do have a close bond we have Moon conjunct Venus in his 5th synastry. In his psychological report I influence his views and he seeks a mental rapport with me. I have an abundance of books he can read on my shelf lol :p , psychology, astrology, spiritual, you name it. The report also said he wants me to be the philosopher, I better get practicing ha ha.

Good readings thanks. :)

Last edited:

VENUS

i have cancer moon in the 9th

my cancer moon is definetly prominent in my chart and with me. i am always home, and i LOVE it deeply. i have made it the "lion's lair" lol. very cozy, very colorful. in fact, its probably the only place i feel safe and like myself. ( i also have sun and venus in the 4th) im also extremely attached and very close with my mother. (her mars is also conjunct my moon) we have a very strong bond, (psychic bond too) and i often want and need my mother's approval. as a little girl i would freak out if i wasn't with my mother every second. of course this isn't surprising that its in cancer...
as for my moon being in the 9th, the best memories of my childhood were traveling together every summer just me, and my mom. it was beautiful.

your article said: (moon in 9th)
"enjoyed a vivid inner life. Strange places and people fascinated her, and she passed on her love of learning about them to the child. She was idealistic and optimistic,"

this is very true...my mother is an artist and astrologer. she was constantly teaching me art, about music, movies, love, telling me stories, she basically taught me everything she knows. she also had me when she was young, so she was very modern and hip and telling me about david bowie, beatles, rolling stones, etc. i consider myself very lucky to have such a cool mom :)

i also have venus in the 4th, so there is a strong attraction to my mother. we even look like sisters rather than mother and daughter :D

waybread

Astrologer50, thanks for starting such an interesting topic. Just to ramp it up a bit....

One thing to consider is that signs and houses are not identical. A moon in Capricorn in the 4th? A moon in Leo in the 6th? Which paragraph would one choose?

I think the person who wrote these descriptions (and please cite the author, to avoid plagiarism) has some good insights, but it would be good to distinguish between signs and houses. To me, a sign is more the "how" or "in what manner" the moon operates. In a sentence, this would be an adjective or adverb ("nurturing", "intensely", "regimented", "kindly", and so on.) A house is more the "where" or in what "domain of life" a planet operates. Friends and assocations (11th), body and outer personality (1st), long-term relationships such as marriage (7th) and so on.

Also, it is pretty hard to say what one's mother was like objectively by looking at the moon in her child's chart. You can say how the child (adult or minor) experienced the mother. But to me the obvious flaw in statements like, "The mother was an imposing figure, who forced her will on her child through playing on his or her emotions. She probably had an inflated ego and liked to be the centre of attention...", above, is that you could have a family of three or four kids, each with the moon in a different sign and house. Which child has the "real" mother?

Then, I think you have to look at aspects to the moon in the child's chart. So someone has a moon in Aries but it makes nothing but trines and sextiles? Probably this person has a great relationship with Mom. Maybe she taught him how to ski-jump and encouraged his dream to be a test pilot.

Finally, looking at the moon in the mother's own chart is probably a better indication of what kind of person she is/was.

rogue_red said:
This is my experience of my mother to a T. Dinner was at exactly 5pm every single day. Our lives were highly regimentalised. We were taught that what we wanted felt thought was of no consequence. Our duty was to do as we were told.

These description that you are using here, im not sure if I really like how they end.."if you are involved with this sort...do not expect an abundance of concern for you; the mother`s example taught your partner to be cold and rather unfeeling ‑ unless other factors in the chart offset this coldness." I can see how it might seem as tho moon in cap is cold and unfeeling but that is not capricorn. Capricorns, sun or moon natives feel just as deeply and as passionately as any other sign its just that capricorns will not tolerate public expression of such feelings, it just isnt respectable. Being an earthly sign capricorn shows affection and love in a tangible way just as my mother showed her love for me by doing what she believed was for my best. Wrongly or rightly so my mother believed that by providing a firm structured home full of routine and control that she was preparing us for the cold unyeilding world. I believe that my mother did everything out of the purest form of maternal love. I acknowlege that my mother emotionally starved me and psychologically neglected me but it wasnt because she didnt care, she just didnt know.

Think and hope you re right cos my eldest son has his moon in Capricorn conj MC. So do you get on well with older people, say a generation older? Being a strong taurean there was always lots of cuddles and affection, perhaps not much money, if anything prob smothered them a bit, cos i didn't get much from my mother and I think each generation tends to either do opp or overcompensate for what they perceive was missing......
My other son has Sagg moon in 1st conj Neptune, so hate to think what he perceived his childhood to be ha ha....

aquarius7000

Hello Astrologer50,

Yes, this indeed is an interesting topic. I have a Cap Moon in my 5th house; two signs (meaning Cap, and natural ruler of 5th- Leo) that very different in nature, and my (Leo) mum is a bit of both with many Leo qualities (very generous, optimistic, has expensive tastes..), and a few Cap ones - she is quite a disciplined, patient and responsible person.

Astrologer50, thanks for the information, but please take note of the following:
Copyright

In order to respect copyright laws, members are asked not to paste in their posts texts copied from other websites or other publications that are over 100 words long. In all cases of quoting, the source of the respective excerpts is to be properly mentioned. Also, if the text is publicly available online, a link to the source should be placed.

:)aquarius7000

rogue_red

astrologer50 said:
Think and hope you re right cos my eldest son has his moon in Capricorn conj MC. So do you get on well with older people, say a generation older? Being a strong taurean there was always lots of cuddles and affection, perhaps not much money, if anything prob smothered them a bit, cos i didn't get much from my mother and I think each generation tends to either do opp or overcompensate for what they perceive was missing......
My other son has Sagg moon in 1st conj Neptune, so hate to think what he perceived his childhood to be ha ha....

please excuse poor typing etiquette as i am balancing a sleeping baby as i type.
i have moon in cap in 10th house which is why the descripter of my mum fits so well. interestingly my mother has a cap moon as do 3 out of 5 siblings and three of my own children.
i think children with cap moons see mum as being duty bound and serious about their parenting.
i make a real effort to be the mother my children need. my only son is cancer sun and moon so i work very hard to provide him with a healthy home life as i am so very aware of the affect a negative mother experience can have for cancers.
i dont understand why i have never harboured a moments resentment toward my mother for the painful childhood i had but i just have never seen it as being something she chose for me. i know that she loved me as much as she was able.

our moon sign is very much a reflection of perception of motherhood. both as mothers and as children

waybread

My son's moon is in Scorpio and my daughter's moon is in Pisces...so which one is the real me?

Actually I have the sun in Aquarius in the 5th, moon in Leo in the 11th, and AS in Virgo, so none of the above?

Re: one's moon placement indicating the child's experience of the mother, not The Truth about Mom, it is helpful for parents to look at aspects in your child's chart, to get a better sense of what s/he will think about you. With difficult aspects, an astrologically-aware parent can stay alert to the child's signals and try to develop empowering interpretations. (For example, "My mother challenged me to do my best" vs. "My mother was too hard on me.")

My son's moon makes some nice sextiles, whereas my daughter has sun opposite moon. Although I tried to parent them the same way, I feel my daughter has been more critical of me, whereas my son seems much more supportive. I love both children dearly (5th house sun?), and am learning to see my daughter as my teacher, and I try very hard to be available to her when she does want my ear or my advice.

waybread said:
My son's moon is in Scorpio and my daughter's moon is in Pisces...so which one is the real me?

Actually I have the sun in Aquarius in the 5th, moon in Leo in the 11th, and AS in Virgo, so none of the above?

Re: one's moon placement indicating the child's experience of the mother, not The Truth about Mom, it is helpful for parents to look at aspects in your child's chart, to get a better sense of what s/he will think about you. With difficult aspects, an astrologically-aware parent can stay alert to the child's signals and try to develop empowering interpretations. (For example, "My mother challenged me to do my best" vs. "My mother was too hard on me.")

My son's moon makes some nice sextiles, whereas my daughter has sun opposite moon. Although I tried to parent them the same way, I feel my daughter has been more critical of me, whereas my son seems much more supportive. I love both children dearly (5th house sun?), and am learning to see my daughter as my teacher, and I try very hard to be available to her when she does want my ear or my advice.

prob neither hon, its their view of you not yours and as you said
one's moon placement indicating the child's experience of the mother, not The Truth about Mom.
And of course the aspects can help or hinder........

starlink

I have Moon in Scorpio in the 12th so I will answer to both.

MOON IN SCORPIO OR IN THE EIGHTH HOUSE
The mother was an intense and passionate person, who would literally fight to the death for her child.

Not true, absolutely not passionate, nor intense. She was Aquarius by the way.

However, at the same time she may have been ruthless in her ambitions and expectations for her children, and not very tolerant of their ideas and desires if they differed from hers.
Absolutely no ambitions for us. My father had.
She had a tendency to rule through guilt, often paying the victim, and she usually won her power plays
She would have a tendency to do this with my dad, not with us. She did say however that I ruined her body (I was a big baby, she was a small women) maybe making me feel guilty indirectly. I cannot remember feeling guilty though.
‑ even when the child was intelligent enough to see through her ploys. Her behaviour may have given this individual a toughness and inner strength.
Yes, I have that but I think it was more because I had to take responsability for her in a way.

Although the child may have grown up with bitterness toward the mother, he or she also admired her fighting spirit.
No bitterness. Mother had no fighting spirit at all.
Their is a powerful attachment to the mother in spite of everything.
Absolutely NO attachment ever, could not even cry when she died, dont know why.
In a relationship, however, this person may attempt to manipulate a partner through guilt or other power plays. (Sex is one way that is used quite often). If you are involved with this sort of person, you may find yourself in constant conflicts. However, your partner`s inner passion could be such a potent attraction that it makes up for the difficulties in the relationship.

I am a very passionate person but cannot remember having played powergames. My ex husband overpowered me as a matter of fact. I was totally offensive. Sex has always been important to me but I never used it to get a man. I did not need to.

MOON IN PISCES OR IN THE TWELFTH HOUSE
The mother was an artistic, sensitive, impressionable and/or somewhat psychic person.

Not at all artistic, not psychic but yes, impressionable

Although basically optimistic, there was a definite insecurity and feeling of unworthiness buried within her
, and she passed these feelings on to her child.
This is absolutely true! To all children as a matter of fact.
She loved her child, be had deep feelings of inferiority and therefore may have either smothered the child, or to shield herself, withdrawn from the child.
Withdrawn from us. She had Saturn conjunct Moon, not a hugging mom.
Deeply introspective, she often seemed to be far away, and the child may have believed that she was withdrawing because of something he or she had done. Therefore, the Pisces Moon individual developed feelings of inferiority too.
I dont think she was ever far away. The feelings of inferiority and especially fear where transmitted subconsciously from her to me.

The mother`s more positive tendencies, however, endowed the child with a sense of hope and optimism. Such children, grew up believing in the basic goodness embittered and disillusioned when their ideals are smashed, Pisceans continue to believe the best, even in the face of tragedy.
She was usually talkative and kind, a good and caring mother, always afraid ¨something might happen to us (even to the neighbor children) but not dominant, not really warm and embracing, sort of neutral really.
If you are involved with this sort of person, it is best to enjoy your partner`s sensitivity and creativity, and try to help him or her enjoy them as well. In this way your partner may overcome those deep seated feelings if insecurity.
My now partner is very supportive, my ex was very un-supportive and awfully critical which made things worse. My divorce from him made me strong and I got over my insecurities instantly. I do still have a fear of traveling on my own, afraid to get lost though. (Saturn in 9th).

Starlink

waybread

Gosh, starlink, sounds difficult. So far as I know my son doesn't harbour any resentments toward me. But then his moon in Scorpio is well-aspected. My daughter with her moon in Pisces will be visiting for the holidays. Despite what I would consider to be a more complex relationship she knows that I am here for her, and she calls most Sundays, when we tell each other that we love each other.

Again, I believe that these sign placements in one's own chart indicate the child's feelings about the mother, not the literal mother. For every difficult mother with the moon in a particular sign in a child's chart, there are no doubt many positive mother-child relationships.

Did your mother's Scorpio moon square her Aquarian sun or other planet? How is your moon aspected?

One other thing worth mentioning is that many baby boomers had difficult relationships with their parents: i. e., the Pluto in Leo generation (Pluto in the sign of the child.) Their previous parental generation with Pluto in Cancer (the s/mothering parent) apparently had their own difficulties with parenting relations. From what I understand about demographics, the Millenium Generation of young adults today tends to get along a lot better with their parents.

Last edited:

Virgogoddess888

I think it's quite amusing that my oldest daughter has moon in Libra and my youngest has moon in Scorpio. They both talk about guilt! I see a lot of similarity in these descriptions. I am like both of those descriptions to a degree. I hope my eldest isn't as needy but she has Capricorn rising to balance her. My husband and I both have Taurus moon, and yeah I can't get rid of my mother so I stopped trying. She had a lot in common with the mom with the Aries moon but she has Leo rising conjunct Pluto so she's very selfish and confrontational. I enjoyed this thread, thanks, Lisa.

Neptune Rising

I have Moon in Pisces, trine Uranus in the 10th. And trine Saturn in the 7th/8th. Also square my Nodes and Ascendant.
I did experience all those associates with Moon in Pisces growing up. Parents divorced early (Moon trine Saturn?), so my Mum brought me up by herself. Also I experience my Mum as distant, also geographically, though we do communicate through mobiles/letters sometimes (Moon in the 2nd/3rd).
Moon also quintile Jupiter my Ascendant ruler, maybe this can show my Mum and I being very much psycically in tune.
My Mum is also a Pisces Sun with South Node conjunct. Oh yea, Mum was also artistic.
NR

woolgatherer

I have the Moon in Taurus in the 1st. My mom has her Sun, Moon and Mercury in Taurus.

The 1st house interpretation is pretty harsh and negative, and I wouldn't describe my mom in that way at all. I've read that a 1st house Moon can mean that the mother has had a strong influence, whether good or bad, and that's probably true for me. We didn't always get along, but I think we're kind of alike, which makes sense from our charts.

The Taurus interpretation is a little more accurate, but I don't think my mom has tried to live life through me. She is stubborn, and her ideas can probably be fixed at times. I don't remember her as being that warm when I was a child, but she does have an appreciation for beauty.

lalalaheidi87

My moon is in 9th, and my mom is very into languages (her career) and music (opera, symphony..) she has a fun job. my dad is an engineer and at my dads work people come from different places in the world, mostly germany , and come to the states for a few years to work at bayer and my mom teaches their families english and gets them comfortable in america. so all her friends are from germany, she has like 1 american friend. she was born in 52 right after her parents and brother got off the ship in america from germany, so she was bron in american but "made in germany" as likes to say and i really do believe she wishes she lives there, its where her heart is. also she really encouraged my sister and me to be into music, i played piano all growing up, an dmy sister the violin. I suppose this is quite 9th?

my sis and my mom both have 12th moons, and i can definitely see this too. 9th and 12th that is definitely a good description of my mother.

an interesting tidbit about moons in general, i read some where that the moon sign tells how someone reacts when they feel threatened, whether it be in a fiery airy earthy or watery way, the moon shows the response of the person when in state of fear. i think this is quite right in most instances, and for me at least, makes the role of the moon so much easier to understand.

starlink

Again, I believe that these sign placements in one's own chart indicate the child's feelings about the mother, not the literal mother

Yes Waybread, absolutely. Same goes for Sun-Moon oppositions. The marriage between the parents can be OK, but to the child it did not look harmonious. Often you indeed do see that parents have divorced, but take my own chart. My parents never divorced, my father adored my mother but she (I know because she told me once) felt guilty that she could not give him what he really wanted, a warmer more sexually interested wife (he with Moon in Scorpio, she with Moon-Saturn conjunction in Virgo, oh well, you understand....). As a child I must have felt the tension between them and much lateron I found out, from letters I have from my father to my mother, that I was right. So now, when I see an opposition or square, I interprete it differently, like "you might have êxperienced the relationship between your parents as unharmonious" and then usually the client says" oh yes, they are divorced now", but not always.

starlink

Waybread, about my childrens feelings about me:
Very good relationship with my daughter, every week at least 2 long calls:
Her Moon in Gemini, trine Uranus, conjunct Mars and Venus and sextile Chiron. Her Moon inconjuncts my Moon and there is sometimes a tension present between us but mostly about intellectual things.My Moon falls in her 4th house.
My Son loves me to bits. His Moon is in Capricorn sextile my Moon. His Moon sextiles his Ascendant and Jupiter in the 1st house and opposes Saturn, squares Pluto. My Moon falls in his 8th house so I guess we have a karmic relationship here. He does not like me to tell him what is best for him, even though he knows it.(a bit of a self righteous Sagittarius he is:)) I guess he finds me dominant in a subtile way. I'm sure I am:). He relies heavily on me with all his problems, as does my daughter.

Last edited: