Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Horary Astrology > Horary Technique

Horary Technique This sub-board is the placeholder for all threads concerning theoretical and technical issues in horary astrology.

Unread 06-11-2010, 05:35 AM

Why is Regiomontanus used?

Is it just more accurate? Does everyone use this house system for horary?

Unread 06-11-2010, 06:01 AM

Re: Why is Regiomontanus used?

Most of those with traditional horary training/experience use Regiomantus, because Lilly used it (and so did all of Lilly's English speaking descendants) Morin de Villefranche, another major astrological-practice "reformer" of Lilly's time, also strongly advocated Regiomantus. For a few hundred years the Regiomantus format dominated European astrological practice; it was rather suddenly replaced beginning in the early 1800's (in Europe and America) by the Placidus format, which since that time has become the dominant house system in Western astrology (outside of horary practice)

Many of our traditional horary practitioners claim/believe Regiomantus is more accurate for horary than other house formats. In my opinion, this is open to question (my opinion ONLY, please!) Some important 20th century astrological authorities-Charles Carter for one-held Regiomantus (and for Carter, Placidus as well) in rather low regard, both for practical and theoretical reasons (see, for example, Carter's "Essay on the Foundations of Astrology", chapter on the question of house systems)

For me, I have been perfectly satisfied in horary results from applying the Whole Sign format (however, hardly any practitioners use Whole Sign in horary, at least in the West; Vedic (jyotish) horary-called prasna shastra or prasna tantra-only uses Equal house or Whole Sign)

Last edited by dr. farr; 06-11-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Unread 06-11-2010, 09:38 AM

I have heard the same too that Reg is better for horary but i dont know that what is the difference in web defult house system and Reg in astro.com ?
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Girl View Post
I have heard the same too that Reg is better for horary but i dont know that what is the difference in web defult house system and Reg in astro.com ?

On astro.com the web default house format is Placidus. As I mentioned above, Placidus is the dominant house format in Western astrology today, EXCEPT for Western horary, in which Regiomantus is the dominant format. They are both examples of quadrant house systems. Equal house and Whole sign (these 2 formats are exclusively used in Vedic horary) are not quadrant house formats.
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
On astro.com the web default house format is Placidus. As I mentioned above, Placidus is the dominant house format in Western astrology today, EXCEPT for Western horary, in which Regiomantus is the dominant format. They are both examples of quadrant house systems. Equal house and Whole sign (these 2 formats are exclusively used in Vedic horary) are not quadrant house formats.
What is the difference betweeen the placidus and Reg. I mean when i cast the chart both appear to be same to me?
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:46 AM

There are technical (mathematical) differences in the way the house cusps are calculated. See house systems on Wikipedia, also check Placidus and Regiomantus on Wikipedia, for a more complete elaboration.
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
There are technical (mathematical) differences in the way the house cusps are calculated. See house systems on Wikipedia, also check Placidus and Regiomantus on Wikipedia, for a more complete elaboration.
I will check it out. Thanks.
Unread 06-14-2010, 06:37 AM

Regiomontanus is the most 'earthly' of the house divisions, in that it is calculated by right ascension rather than celestial longitude, ie. by the position of the earth's place in regards to the celestial equator. Effectively, its the division of the sky into 12 chunks by observation from earth.

The reason it is good for horary, imo, is a) that symbolically, it is suitable for earthly affairs - Horary being a very earthly discipline - because of the way it is created and b) because it works. Placidus seems particularly arbitrary (though arguably, all house systems are arbitrary), and tends to distort in certain latitudes.

“What is the above is from the below and the below is from the above. The work of wonders is from one." - The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus

Ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus
The Following User Says Thank You to PaxMercurius For This Useful Post:
Aria Venue (10-02-2019)
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:13 AM

Thank you Pax.

Tags
regiomontanus