Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Traditional Astrology

Traditional Astrology For discussions on Traditional Astrology only. (Note: Typically, traditional astrology is defined as using techniques developed prior to 1700 by astrologers from the Hellenistic, Persian, Hebrew, and Renaissance eras. In general, it relies on Ptolemaic aspects (sextile, trine, square, opposition and conjunction) though there may be some exceptions, and always excludes modern planets (Neptune, Uranus and Pluto,) as well as any asteroids. The focus is less on what would be considered modern psychological chart interpretation and more on prediction. Members who wish to explore a combination of traditional and modern ideas should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum for further discussion.)

Unread 10-04-2018, 07:00 PM

Saturn the Greater Malefic

As I mentioned a while back, I'm taking Christopher Warnock's Complete Astrological Magic course, and I've been busy with the homework, so it's all HIS fault that I haven't been on-line for a while!

I made a Venus talisman last summer which I shared on this page. I've had more practice, so I'm going to make a Saturn talisman soon. I attach the chart of the election.

Of course, I wanted to take advantage of Saturn being in domicile; in the election chart I managed to get him close to the ascendant on the Day and Hour of Saturn. The Moon does not appear to be afflicted, although it is a bit slow, but hey! At least it's waxing! If anyone sees something that I don't (in terms of reasons to not use this particular election), do let me know, it's always good to have other eyes looking over things like this.

I've been hesitant up to now to make talismans involving the malefics due to the intense energies involved. It's true that in a day chart, where we find Mars tends to give us difficulties with regard to the topics that the house it finds itself in. Same with Saturn in a night chart. And I have a night chart, so I've been hesitant! Yikes!

But then I came across a quote from Marsilio Ficino: , "You certainly should not neglect the power of Saturn...those who give themselves over to with their whole mind to the divine contemplation signified by Saturn himself can escape his negative influence and receive his propitious power. The Chaldeans, Egyptians and Platonists think that by this method one can avoid the malice of fate." Three Books on Life, Bk III, ch 22.

It got me thinking about the celestial order of the planets, of how Saturn is the closest to the Primum Mobile...

Kabalistically, Saturn is the celestial (or Assiatic) manifestation of the Sphere Binah/Understanding and it is here we find the roots for Saturning signifying esoteric and hidden knowledge; the secrets of magic, astrology and alchemy, and this is leaving aside for now his other positive qualities of giving long life, discipline and stability.

Anyway, I just wanted to briefly share what I've been thinking about over these past few weeks. I plan to engrave a magic square on lead for the Saturn talisman, along with various kabbalistic symbols and Names.

Kind regards

Rhys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn_Oct18_Talisman_election.jpg (27.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Rhys; 10-04-2018 at 07:03 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rhys For This Useful Post:
Blaze (10-04-2018), conspiracy theorist (10-05-2018), IleneK (10-06-2018), Ukpoohbear (10-11-2018), watcherofthesouth (10-05-2018)
Unread 10-04-2018, 08:20 PM

Re: Saturn the Greater Malefic

With my own chart being nocturnal and having Saturn domicile in Capricorn, angular, I can definitely understand the hesitation in interacting with him.

Still, I've been looking into ways of keeping him "happy," and your method has peeked my interests. Will you post a picture of the finished piece?
Rhys (10-05-2018)
Unread 10-04-2018, 09:53 PM

Hi Rhys. Do you look at the 28 lunar mansions on that course?

Best wishes

Miquar

Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks, page 118
Unread 10-05-2018, 02:08 AM

Hmm, are you satisfied with having the Moon in the 12th house? I also realize that this is the second election where the Moon's location would be in Sagittarius. Do you have any important natal points in the sign that makes you choose this sign for the moon to be in? Since one should connect the chart in some meaningful way to the natal, so that the talisman has good synergy with the querent.

What about the south node in the 1st? Unconcerned?
Unread 10-05-2018, 07:18 PM

Good questions, I'll get back to you them in more detail tomorrow, but for now, I'll share the criteria I've been using for choosing a planetary election. It is so difficult getting everything lined up, that I have been strictly limiting myself to:

1. Planet dignified, preferably by exaltation or sign or multiple
lesser dignities p+4 or more.
2. Rising or culminating, i.e. within 8 degrees of the Ascendant or
Midheaven.
3. Planetary hour.
4. Planet and Moon unafflicted, .i.e. not in detriment, fall,
retrograde, combust, not applying to square or oppose any planet, not
applying to conjoin undignified Saturn, South Node or afflicted
planet, (i.e. detriment, fall, retrograde combust)

All to say that I'm not treating the talisman election like a natal chart...

I am pretty much looking exclusively at one sector of the chart, i.e. the planetary strength of the talismanic planet and simply that the Moon is not afflicted. It was by chance that it happened to be in Sag, obviously if it had been in Scorpio or Capricorn, it would have nixed the election.

I was indeed concerned about south node in the 1st, but figured since they are 29° apart it would be ok. But let me think about that some more.

Thank you for bringing up all these points, I'm re-thinking everything!

All the best - Rhys
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhys For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (10-05-2018)
Unread 10-06-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
Hmm, are you satisfied with having the Moon in the 12th house? I also realize that this is the second election where the Moon's location would be in Sagittarius. Do you have any important natal points in the sign that makes you choose this sign for the moon to be in? Since one should connect the chart in some meaningful way to the natal, so that the talisman has good synergy with the querent.

What about the south node in the 1st? Unconcerned?
I hope everybody likes my new avatar, I thought that since we are speaking of talismans, I might as well get into the look! It seems appropriate to be discussing Saturn on a Saturday. I have my black candle lit on my altar with an onyx stone in front of it, so I'm all set!

Whilst selecting the talisman election, I was concerned about the very questions that conspiracy theorist posed (cf above) but in spite of that I decided to go with the election for various reasons. I went over those reasons last night and I will share them with you here.

First of all, I am posting the election again, but this time I did it in Solar Fire using a standard wheel with Regiomontanus houses. I also threw in the outer planets in order to make a point, which I'll get to.

You'll see from looking at the chart that we have the Moon in H12, omg! Not only that, but Pluto and the south node are in H1, the same house as Saturn, the planet the election is being made for. And Mars figures into this too, being in the 1st house, ouch! Also, the Moon in Sag happens to be within three degrees of my natal Mars, one might well ask if that is going to pose a problem as well!

The brief answer is that, no, none of that stuff matters in a talisman election chart.

Keep in mind that in traditional talisman making, we draw upon traditional texts for the factors to include in our Talisman. The bible for Talisman making is of course The Picatrix (cf . Book II, Ch 10) We can also draw on texts such as Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy (cf Book II, chapters 22, 29, 30, 32, 35, 38-45) as well as The Greater Key of Solomon (trans S.L. McGregor Mathers).

Some of these texts only require that the talisman be made on the day and hour of the concerned planet. Others require only that the planet be dignified and rising. All to say that we do not concern ourselves with any other factors other than the ones that are called for in the source text we are using.

As a general rule, unless the source text specifically calls for something different, the relevant factors that we look for in choosing a talisman election are as follows:

1. Planet dignified, preferably by exaltation or sign or multiple
lesser dignities p+4 or more.
2. Rising or culminating, ie within 8 degrees of the Ascendant or
Midheaven, note that this is not the same as being in the 1st or 10th
houses...
3. Planetary hour
4. Planet and Moon unafflicted, ie, not in detriment, fall,
retrograde, combust, not applying to square or oppose any planet, not
applying to conjoin undignified Saturn, South Node or afflicted
planet, (ie detriment, fall, retrograde combust)

And yet! I had my doubts, I was really worried about Pluto, Mars and south node being in H1, omg!!! So last night I wrote to the master astrologer/mage (Christopher Warnock) and double checked with him, here is what he wrote back:

"We choose the relevant factors and then find charts based on just
these factors. We ignore everything else, we do not look at chart of
talismans like a natal chart and we don't do synastry between our
natal chart and the talisman chart. The practical reality is that if
you try to control more than about 3-5 factors it makes it very, very
difficult to find a chart. If we don't base the chart on selected
factors, we just end up with a mishmash of charts chosen subjectively
with different criteria for each chart."

I was much relieved when I received this note.

So there you have it.

By the way, Conspiracy Theorist, there is an interesting little book by Israel Regardie that can be downloaded for free in PDF form entitled: How to Make and Use Talismans. It quotes from traditional sources and is the clearest "how-to" text i've come across on the subject. Definitely worth downloading.

Kind regards

Rhys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn_Talisman-18Oct18.jpg (50.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Rhys; 10-06-2018 at 03:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhys For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (10-06-2018), petosiris (10-07-2018)
Unread 10-06-2018, 03:49 PM

I'm liking the warlock look m8. I'll be downloading that book by Israel Regardie in short order, too.
Unread 10-12-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

omg! Not only that, but
Pluto
and the south node are in H1
cheer up
your post is on traditional board where dwarf planetoid pluto
is of no consequence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 10-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquar View Post
Hi Rhys. Do you look at the 28 lunar mansions on that course?

Best wishes

Miquar
Hi Miquar

The answer to your question is yes. I don't quite have my head around it though, but I'll be studying it in more detail in the coming month.

Kind regards

Rhys
miquar (10-07-2018)
Unread 10-07-2018, 08:19 PM

Thanks Rhys. I'd be interested to know which books or internet sources are recommended reading for that part of the course, and even to see any material issued as part of the course. There's plenty of stuff about the 27 lunar mansions used in Vedic astrology, but not much about the 28 lunar mansions.

Best wishes

Miquar

Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks, page 118
Unread 10-07-2018, 10:05 PM

Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
Quote:
Thanks Rhys. I'd be interested to know which books or internet sources are recommended reading for that part of the course, and even to see any material issued as part of the course. There's plenty of stuff about the 27 lunar mansions used in Vedic astrology, but not much about the 28 lunar mansions.

Best wishes

Miquar

Anthony Louis has it in his book horary simple ...
The Following User Says Thank You to tikana For This Useful Post:
miquar (10-07-2018)
Unread 10-08-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Best wishes

Miquar
Hi Miquar

Ok, I've only touched the surface of lunar mansions in the course, as I mentioned I'll be getting into it more deeply in the coming days, but for now here is some material that I found interesting that I could recommend:

For source material, the Picatrix is the most important grimoire of astrological magic. It was used by Renaissance mages like Cornelius Agrippa and Marsilio Ficino. So for Lunar Mansions, get the Picatrix (available on Amazon Kindle) and read: Book I Ch 4 on Mansions. Book IV Ch 9 on Mansions.

It's kind of heavy reading though...

If what you are looking for is an introduction to lunar mansions written in modern English, I would get Christopher Warnock's book, entitled: Mansions of the Moon: A Lunar Zodiac for Astrology and Magic. It covers all the lunar mansions and what they traditionally symbolize, and it also gives the zodiacal positions for each of them in both tropical and sidereal longitudes! Available on Kindle and it isn't expensive, and clearly written! :-)

Kind regards

Rhys
Unread 10-08-2018, 08:12 PM

Thanks Rhys. Yes I bought the kindle book a while ago. I was hoping to find something with more of a psychological emphasis, but there doesn't seem to be anything around.

Best wishes

Miquar
Unread 10-09-2018, 07:34 AM

Thanks, Rhys.

I fear my mentioning "God, or however one defines divine consciousness"-- really set some people off. Rather than digress into whatever Petosiris was attemping with his linked thread, I need to stress (as per conspiracy theorist) that I wasn't trying to anthropomorphize divine consciousness-- certainly not in a conventional religious sense.

I don't find petitionary prayer to be helpful, because right away it posits a separation between divinity and humanity. The divine is all around us. We sometimes push it away and have trouble letting it in, however.

However, I also don't see the point in positioning science and spirituality as polar opposites.

The point I was trying to make, really, is that a focus on objects can make us think that the power resides in the objects themselves. Rather, the power resides in us, and the universal creative principle (aka divine consciousness.) I'm not much in touch with it on a day-to-day basis, but if I calm down and relax a bit, there it is.

It just seems to me that this universal matrix of divinity is more powerful, and therefore more to be let in, than a focus on magic or objects. I might be mistaken, but that's my view.

Where I think objects work to some degree is if we understand them as extensions of ourselves. Then the objects become more like tools or even protheses.

The other problem with magic is that the practioner assumes that intervening in the natural flow of events is a better idea than letting the natural flow of events happen and partaking of some wisdom, adaptability, and flexibility as they happen. By analogy, is it better to pull open the wings of a butterfly as it struggles out of its chrysalis, or is it better to leave the butterfly alone? Does the magician possess sufficient wisdom to improve on the natural flow of events? Or is he simply trying to feel more powerful?

I mentioned that I studied runes (and also Northern lore) in the past, but not at the level of prediction or magic. In "reddening" the runes or working incantations into a weapon or tool, the practitioner basically incorporates those objects into his own sense of identity. So the power comes from the self, not from the objects themselves. This is why, I believe, ancient people buried their dead with personal grave goods, which they believed would have no special power beyond the individual who imbued them with his sense of self.

Your daily practices, in their way, sound like a kind of choice-centered astrology. (Want to strengthen your Mars? Wear more red.) Also in Vedic astrology, the astrologer will often recommend that the client wear a particular kind of gemstone, practice a particular yoga position, and so on, to offset a problem. I think the foundational belief is fundamentally fatalistic, yet it does admit to some mitigation.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by waybread; 10-09-2018 at 07:38 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
miquar (10-09-2018), Rhys (10-09-2018)
Unread 10-09-2018, 07:47 AM

Rhys, re: Saturn. I don't know if this helps your practice or not, but my attitudes about Saturn opened up one night when I had a brief dream. It was night, and I seemed to be alone in an old stone castle or tower. I opened a door to a tower room that had a huge window. The view was filled with the planet Saturn: enormous, yellow, with its rings. It seemed to emanate a sense of utter evil, and I thought of that expression, the Great Malefic. I was terrified and wanted to run. But there was an old man (who looked a bit like Charles Darwin, if you can picture his face as an old man) seated at a wooden desk or table. The old man watched me, and I felt that this was a test of my lessons: courage in the face of fear. I stood my ground. The dream ended.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
Rhys (10-09-2018)
Unread 10-09-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post

However, I also don't see the point in positioning science and spirituality as polar opposites.
Neither do I! I think science and spirituality fit together like a hand and a glove. For me, when I read something like, say, Ernst Mayr's book What Evolution Is, which is a book written by a biologist largely responsible for shaping the modern synthesis of genetic and evolutionary theory and presents a spirited defence of Darwin - for me at least - it is like reading a kabbalistic tract on the formula of creation!

On the Tree of Life we have Hod/Mercury on one side and Netzach/Venus on the other, the rational mind on one side with the irrational/intuitive mind on the other, that is to say one extreme being the materialist who only accepts what can been explained in the manifested world, and on the other side the person for whom the gods and goddesses are real, for whom they are more real than real.

What's wanted, obviously, is a balance between the two extremes!

I don't see any contradiction at all between the material and the spiritual. For me it kind of works the same way Newtonian physics still works and is used on many important levels, but when we start getting into more than three dimensions, one has to jump to quantum physics.

One thing that came to mind as I'm thinking about this thread is that for a long time, the magic and astrological communities have had a wall dividing them. There were and are many reasons for that, but this wall did not exist traditionally, so I'm glad the barriers are starting to break down, however slowly. And for that reason I think this dialog is highly constructive.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments, Waybread. I'll reflect upon them properly this evening and doubtless have more to say tomorrow.

Oh, and thanks for sharing that wonderful dream about Saturn! I'll DEFINITELY have more to say about that! (good things) :-)

My best - Rhys

Last edited by Rhys; 10-09-2018 at 06:45 PM.
waybread (10-10-2018)
Unread 10-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Oh, there's always been some rancour between certain magicians and astrology. The magician's will being paramount of course.

Magician: I am going to invoke Saturn to do my bidding!

Astrologer (checks ephemeris, Saturn is retrograde, combust in Aries). Let me know how that works out.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oddity For This Useful Post:
JUPITERASC (10-11-2018), petosiris (10-09-2018), Rhys (10-10-2018), waybread (10-10-2018)
Unread 10-09-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
Oh, there's always been some rancour between certain magicians and astrology. The magician's will being paramount of course.

Magician: I am going to invoke Saturn to do my bidding!

Astrologer (checks ephemeris, Saturn is retrograde, combust in Aries). Let me know how that works out.
Oh, yes - ''It is impossible to overcome with prayers and sacrifices what has been established from the beginning or to gain for oneself something different, something more to one’s liking. What has been given will come about even if we do not pray; what is not fated will not happen, even if we do pray. Just as actors on the stage change their masks according to the poets’ words and act the characters as they should - sometimes kings, sometimes bandits, sometimes rustics, city people, gods - in the same way we too must act the parts assigned us by Fate and adapt ourselves to the chances of the moment, even if we do not like them. Even if someone refuses,
''Having become base, he will suffer this anyway''''... - Valens, V. Anthologia. Translated by Mark Riley. Retrieved from https://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt...s%20entire.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to petosiris For This Useful Post:
JUPITERASC (10-11-2018)
Unread 10-09-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks Rhys. Yes I bought the kindle book a while ago. I was hoping to find something with more of a psychological emphasis, but there doesn't seem to be anything around.

Best wishes

Miquar
I'll be delving more deeply into the lunar mansions shortly and if I'll be sure to share my findings with you viz things psychological!

Best - Rhys
miquar (10-09-2018)
Unread 10-22-2018, 05:28 AM

Unhappy Re: Saturn the Greater Malefic

I can feel Greater Malefic Saturn since the beginning. Every things are blocked, life is no fun,work place hell etc. Saturn destroyed my 5th/6th House activities including other houses/planets where it Aspecting.
Exalted Saturn in Libra 5th House.
Saturn Conjunct Detriment Mars in 6th.
Saturn Parallel Pluto 6th.
Saturn Square NN and Mercury.
Saturn Opposite Erir.
Saturn Square BML/H13.
Saturn Conjunct Eros.

Until I introduced to Astrology I didn't know the reason. Now I know why my life ***** and why I am a Miserable Person.

Last edited by Somna7H; 10-22-2018 at 05:31 AM.
Unread 10-22-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somna7H View Post

I can feel Greater Malefic Saturn since the beginning.

Every things are blocked, life is no fun,work place hell etc.

Saturn destroyed my 5th/6th House activities

including other houses/planets where it Aspecting.
Exalted Saturn in Libra 5th House.
Saturn Conjunct Detriment Mars in 6th.
Saturn Parallel Pluto 6th.
Saturn Square NN and Mercury.
Saturn Opposite Erir.
Saturn Square BML/H13.
Saturn Conjunct Eros.

Until I introduced to Astrology I didn't know the reason.
Now I know why my life ***** and

why I am a Miserable Person.
You posted your comment on our traditional board

traditional board rules state that modern outers are irrelevant
asteroids are also irrelevant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 10-22-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
You posted your comment on our traditional board

traditional board rules state that modern outers are irrelevant
asteroids are also irrelevant
Sorry, I thought Western and Vedic, these two exists. Traditional means Western without Astroids. Thank you!

Still Mars and Saturn in 5th enough to spoil the fun of life.

Last edited by Somna7H; 10-22-2018 at 09:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Somna7H For This Useful Post:
JUPITERASC (10-22-2018)
Unread 10-22-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I thought Western and Vedic, these two exists.
Traditional means Western without Astroids. Thank you!
Just to clarify for you - ours is a learning forum, so that's fine

On our traditional board Western Traditional astrology excludes outers
as well as asteroids
You can read the rules at the top of this page
however for your ease of reference I shall quote them now for you

Traditional Astrology For discussions on Traditional Astrology only.
(Note: Typically, traditional astrology is defined
as using techniques developed prior to 1700
by astrologers from the Hellenistic, Persian,
Hebrew, and Renaissance eras.
Specifically it relies on Ptolemaic aspects
(sextile, trine, square, opposition and conjunction)
and excludes modern planets (Neptune, Uranus and Pluto,)
non-Ptolemaic aspects, as well as any asteroids.
The focus is less on

what would be considered modern psychological chart interpretation
and more on prediction.
Members who wish to explore a combination

of traditional and modern ideas
should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum
for further discussion.)
The Following User Says Thank You to JUPITERASC For This Useful Post:
Rhys (10-22-2018)
Unread 10-22-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Still Mars and Saturn in 5th enough to spoil the fun of life.

Exactly

- Mars and Saturn are the two traditional malefics
and their location in a natal chart
show areas of challenge in life

Tags
greater, malefic, saturn