poll

SagiCap

In a too-early or too-late deg. for Asc. = "a stricture against judgement," what could the reasons be generally?

I read this is something in the chart that causes it to be invalid...BUT, if that makes it totally invalid, why do some modern astrologers only take it as a caution and continue to read the (horary) chart for ex. anyway?

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

Last edited:

starlink

Re: Stricture Against Judgement (Horary)

The modern astrologers have changed the ancient rules a bit. Traditional astrologers like Lilly adhered to these rules probably for the reason to not have to interprete the chart when they were not sure about the answer. I read this somewhere. It is for them an excuse. Modern astrologers say: watch out, we might make a big mistake here, so be extra vigilant and when interpreting the chart, probably say to the client: "this is what I see, but it is very likely that I am wrong here or that things will work out differently, so dont take this answer of me totally 100%".

This is what I think the reasons are.

bilastro

Because if late,it has already taken place or it is too late to ask;if early then too early,or not a ripe time.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor

Hi-I've moved this post from the Ed Board to here. Nothing but Articles to be posted on the Ed Board please folks!
Lillyjgc

starlink

Because if late,it has already taken place
Or, deepdown, the quisitor already knows the answer to his/her question.

My question: was this thread meant to be a poll? It is a bit strange as we dont have to vote for anything, nor do we have to see how many people will say yes and how many will say no :)

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor

Hi-Yes I thought there was a Poll too- but when I moved all the posts, only these ones rocked up here! Maybe the poster can reset the poll..I'd do it, but *not sure how*.

ascendant too early-: let me give an example...question was *should I buy the house* Asc was 1.21 lib. Turned out the house was not up for sale yet! The client had not told me that at the time!

Ascendant too late: things are about to change. Sometimes it really is too late for a person to have an impact on a situation.

Personally I do try to pretty much accept the validity of there being some charts not ready for reading. VOC moon also covered by this.I see them more as Guidelines though rather than *strictures*.
Cheers
Lilly

smilingsteph

What I experienced was that I was going to draw up a chart to ask "do I have the job?"

It was for a new job and I interviewed already, I was pretty sure I had it in the bag, but I had not listened to my messages.

So I was in the middle of drawing up the chart, then I quickly went to listen to my messages...sure enough the HR director called and basically told me that I needed to come in and file for my paperwork and I was hired.

After continuing to draw up my chart, I had a very late ascendant! I think it was about 28degrees!

Frank

It's not a "stricture against judgement" but a "consideration before judgment."

Two very different things.

SagiCap

It's not a "stricture against judgement" but a "consideration before judgment."

Two very different things.

Ah, ok. I was quoting a reply from one of my threads: the person wrote:

An early or too late Ascendant degree is called a stricture against judgement, meaning that there is some element present that causes the chart to be invalid. Modern astrologer only see it as a precaution when interpreting, so we have to be careful in other words.

starlink

Ah, ok. I was quoting a reply from one of my threads: the person wrote:

Yes, that person was me:). I got this expression from "Horary Astrology by Celeste Teal" who provides basic instructions and example reading. Pages 1-8. to be found under http:/www.moonvalleyastrologer.com/horary_astrology.htm.

I printed this article out some years ago. So she calls it Strictures Against Judgement which is one of her chapters. I am not a native English speaker so I thought Strictures and Considerations were the same thing. She apparently thinks so.

The chapter starts by saying: These are the traditional strictures against judgment, meaning that .......etc.

Indeed, I looked it up in the Oxford dictionary and a stricture means "a comment of a critical or censorious kind". That is indeed different from a consideration.
Yes, the word is wrongly used. Or was it maybe called "stricture" in antique times, meaning "restriction"? That is also possible I think.