need help understanding current aspect with transit neptune...

Hi there!

I have (tropically) Sun in Pisces 10 degrees in the 11th house, and the current transit Neptune (according to astro-seek; it's currently Sun Aug 18th 12:01 AM, pulled the transits up at 11:57 PM) is in Pisces 17 degrees.

I don't know if the orbs are considered 'tight enough' to be in conjunction anymore. But does it mean anything if they're in the same sign still? Is it still considered a conjunction? If not, can you please explain why?

^_^ thanks a lot for the help...! :innocent:

waybread

I find that with a transit from a major outer planet like Neptune, I'm liable to feel it approaching from 2-3 degrees before the conjunction becomes exact. But once the transiting planet separates it seems to be over within 1-2 degrees. Unless the planet is going to turn retrograde (reverse) and hit your natal planet again (and even 2 more times.) Transiting Neptune, IMO, is just too far out from your natal sun to be considered conjunct so far as transits go. However, it may be pinging on something else in your chart.

This is different than natal astrology, where the sun's orb is usually considered to be 10 degrees, or even a bit more.

In terms of a conjunction natally or by transit, I guess you know it if you feel it, but the orbs have been worked out by a lot of professional astrologers.

Thank you for your answer!

So, even though it is in the same sign, it still isn't considered conjunct no longer, right? Does the same sign mean anything or have any influence? Thank you again for the explanation.

waybread

I wouldn't see them as still conjunct, no.

A sign basically shows a planet's mode or style of operating. It is sort of like two planets in the same sign but not conjunct are both playing the same style of music, just not the identical song. Neptune is the modern ruler of Pisces, so presumably it amplifies Pisces' natural tendencies.

Neptune is a planet of beautiful illusions and bitter disillusionment, missing the grounded reality in between. Neptune doesn't deal with grounded reality, but with the imagination. Neptune can be beautifully spiritual, but also deceptive.

Ah, okay. That adds a lot more clarity, but at the same time I'm getting a bit confused. Does this stay the same if it's in different signs and the orbs are tight enough to 'conjunct'? If that makes sense?

I really appreciate the help! ^^;

Lin

I'm interested in what occurred in your life when Neptune DID actually conjunct your Sun when it was at 6-11 degrees of Pisces!

Sometimes applying planets can be felt as far away as 6 or more degrees.

But I agree that when the planet passes the exact degree for the last time (no more retrogrades) it is over pretty much within 2 degrees. However, it may, as Waybread said, be applying to another aspect to another planet or angle in the chart.

If you show your chart we might be able to tell you why you still feel the Neptune aspect effects. Other planets transits can sometimes mimic the Neptune dynamic.

LIN

Last edited:

waybread

Mon etoiles, are you familiar with an ephemeris? It works like a train timetable- for planets.

The signs shouldn't affect when you feel a transit-- it would go by what natal planet a transiting planet is pinging. Some astrologers do not count out-of-sign aspects, but I do. An in-sign aspect would be something like Mars at 0 degrees Aquarius and Jupiter at 3 degrees Gemini. The aspect is not exact, but the orb of 3 degrees is close enough. Both planets are in air signs. An out-of-sign aspect would be something like Mars at 0 Aquarius and Jupiter at 29 Capricorn. Here the orb is even tighter, but there's a mix here with a fixed air sign and a cardinal earth sign.

In-sign aspects work like this:

conjunct: same element and quality (modality, like cardinal, fixed, or mutable.)

trine: same element (like both planets in earth, air, fire, or water signs.)

square: same quality

opposition, sextile: planets are in earth +water, or in air + fire signs. For example, 0 Aquarius (air) opposes 0 Leo (fire.)

Lin

OR since every "sign" contains 30 degrees you can count the degrees between planets.

So 2 planets at approx the same degree are said to be "conjunct."

2 planets 30 degrees apart are semi-sextile.

2 planets 60 degrees apart are sextile.

2 planets 72 degrees apart are quintile.

2 planets 90 degrees apart are square.

2 planets 120 degrees are square.

2 planets 150 degrees apart are inconjunct or quincunx.

2 planets 180 degrees apart are in opposition.

All these degrees are approximate.....each aspect has an "orb of influence". Some
orbs are around 6 degrees or less....some are up to 10- or 12 degrees.

So let's say your Moon and Sun are 98 degrees apart.....or 82 degrees apart. They will be considered square each other. Because they are within the "orb of influence.

LIN

Showing your chart would be a better way to define these.