Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Astrology and Psychology

Astrology and Psychology For interesting discussions on psychological meanings and deeper implications in natal charts between members passionated by both psychology and astrology.

Unread 06-29-2009, 12:06 AM

The Astrology of Myers-Briggs Personality Types

Hello, everyone!

I've been researching the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Tool lately, which operates under the theory that people can be grouped according to certain characteristic ways of thinking and behaving. Visit The Myers & Briggs Foundation website or use your favorite search engine to learn more about the MBTI. There are many pages on the website, but MBTI Basics is a good place to start.

Basically, you are asked to choose between two preferences in four categories, and the interaction among these preferences determines your personality type. The qualities of Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I), Sensing (S) or Intuition (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P) are assessed, and the combination of these four preferences results in 16 personality types, which are described here.

They are:
  • ISTJ
  • ISFJ
  • INFJ
  • INTJ
  • ISTP
  • ISFP
  • INFP
  • INTP
  • ESTP
  • ESFP
  • ENFP
  • ENTP
  • ESTJ
  • ESFJ
  • ENFJ
  • ENTJ
I believe a discussion regarding astrological factors associated with the eight individual qualities--Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I), Sensing (S) or Intuition (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)--would be a good place to start.

Then, perhaps, we can attempt to "create" a natal chart we feel aptly describes each of the 16 personality types. Obviously, there will be many astrological indicators for these 16 types, since we have a nearly infinite array of natal charts.

If we wish to take a less systematic approach, the thread participants can each list their personality type (if you don't know it, there are several free tests online) and describe which astrological factors in your natal chart you believe contribute towards the characteristics associated with your type. Naturally, not all of the characteristics of a certain type will apply to you, just as not all of the characteristics of a certain sign archetype or planetary placement will apply to you. We are each an intricate blend of characteristics.

I have not been tested by a certified MBTI consultant, nor do I intend to, but I seem to receive the result of INFP on several versions of the test.

EDIT: So as not to appear biased, I have removed the links for INFP. Please send me a personal message if you are interested in visiting the sites I found.

Now, here are some more general sites:
Arian Maverick

Last edited by Arian Maverick; 06-29-2009 at 12:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arian Maverick For This Useful Post:
shannonmelissa (06-01-2014)
Unread 06-29-2009, 01:36 AM

Re: The Astrology of Myers-Briggs Personality Types

i like were youre going with this.

im an ENFP

libra rising
libra moon
cancer MC
venus in pisces
mercury in aquarius
mars in sag.

i have a hard time with assigning meyers briggs types to planets/signs

(E)xtrovert- libra rising (aries on the 7th with jupiter in the 7th), mars in sag. in the third. 5th house mercury.

i(N)tuition- mercury in aquarius. uranus and neptune in the third.

(F)eeling- cancer MC, moon conjunct asc. venus in picses

(P)ercieving- this ones tough. i have a picses North Node and virgo south node. i think if i took the test 4 years ago i would be (J)udging. i've learned to relax and go with the flow, but i used to fear not having a structured lifestyle.

meyers briggs seems to be more limiting than astrology as far as describing personality goes.
Unread 06-29-2009, 02:10 AM

Great topic, Arian. Carl Jung, who studied astrology, apparently laid the early groundwork for this psychological test.

One thing I might note is that people who are very close to the midpoint of the pairs of opposites (i. e., introvert vs. extrovert, judging versus perceiving) can test differently if they take the test at different times. I did it twice, and came out once as an INTJ and once as an INTP. Also, as an introvert, I am pretty close to the cross-over point for extroverts, although I believe the "I" is correct for me.
Unread 06-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Banned

I am ISTP

Introvert.........Sun, Mercury, Chiron, 3rd house cusp in Scorpio, Sat/11th (on 12th cusp)

Sensing..........Pluto square Mercury, Jupiter opp Uranus, (Cancer Moon?)

Thinking.........Asc/Sat in Virgo, Uranus/9th, Sat sxt Uranus

Perceiving......Neptune/Venus in Libra/1st house, Gemini MC, Sat trine Jup, Mars in Sagittarius/3rd

EJ

Last edited by EJ53; 06-29-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Unread 06-29-2009, 02:19 PM

I was officially tested at work. I'm an INFP. I'm not sure this will actually work in my chart; I have a fairly extrovert chart.

Intravert: Mercury in Capricorn, 12th house; Moon conj. Saturn, 3rd house

iNtuition: Mercury/Capricorn.

Feeling: ...?

Perceiving:....?

I have an 11th house Sagittarius Sun and Venus; a fire sign Moon in the 3rd; Mercury square Uranus (from 12th to 8th house): intuition(?), but in some ways this shows an extrovert (not an 'extravert' as in Meyers-Briggs); one would expect that I would be more 'on show' than I am.

Most of the planets in my chart are above the horizon; two angular planets (both in water signs), four in cadent houses (in fire, water, and earth signs), very little in air signs apart from Uranus and my Aquarius ascendant. Perhaps all the fire and water describe the 'feeling/perceiving' part, but this feels like a stretch.

AG
Unread 06-29-2009, 02:34 PM

I'm an ENTP.

This is my attempt at it lol

Extrovert: Leo Rising, Aries Moon, Mercury in Libra, Jupiter conjuct midheaven??
Intuitive: Mercury in fourth,Scorpio Sun in fourth
Thinking: Moon in 9th, Mars in 3rd?
Perceiving: Mercury Opp Jupiter??
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Jenuine, it looks like you, Inline, and I are part of a small but mighty band of geniuses.

So far as your chart goes, Leo rising might suggest an extrovert, but with both your moon and Saturn opposing your 12th house sun, it looks like you've been under siege from authority figures such as teachers and supervisors--possibly starting with your parents. It might be fun to let the Big Cat out occasionally, however. People with the sun in the 12th, 4th, and 8th do tend to be more private (introverted) people.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 07-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Hello arian maverick,
I score as an INFP.
Astrologically speaking, I share my libra asc. and moon placements, cancer MC and mars in saggitarius with NicholasH, who, like me, although more extroverted, shares the Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving typology.

Like archergirl, who also scored as an INFP, my mercury is in the sign of capricorn, in the third house along with saturn. There is also much focus of energy within the third and twelfth houses.

Similar to your natal chart I share a concentration of planets in the left hemisphere, which, as you say, generally produces introversion.
I agree that sensing and intuition are very difficult to choose between, but every time I take this tests, and others similar to it, my intuitive skills seem to outweigh my sensing skills (everytime I've scored as INFP except once, and I've taken the test on seven different occasions.)
My Moon and Asc. are within the same sign, so they share similar qualities and expressions, although they are nowhere near conjunct each other as yours are.

Perceiving, as you say, may be linked to fire signs, but there is VERY little fire within my chart... my mars in saggitarius stands alone. Maybe that's where its power lies though... it is virtually unaspected, except for the sextile it makes to my asc.

ShiningRay(also an INFP), and I both have a moon-neptune square although in different signs. He and I also share a third house uranus.

Your information states that INFP is associated with the choleric element, which I find truly fascinating, since, as I have mentioned previously, I have very little fire within my chart, aside from my unaspected saggitarian mars.... which may prove to be a little more powerful than I thought

Well, I just thought I'd gather and sort what similarities I saw between myself and other INFP types... feel free to decipher what you can from this, if you'd like
my chart is on my profile if you want to take a look.
-wind
Unread 07-09-2009, 02:19 AM

Having taken this M-B test twice (and scored once as an INTP and once as an INTJ) I find this thread very interesting. Psychologist Carl Jung, upon whose work the M-B test was developed, also studied astrology.

The INTP/INTJ crew are fairly rare, but they sound pretty Virgoan to me. I have Virgo rising, with Saturn in Virgo in the 12th. My sun and moon placements, however, would seemingly show a much more extroverted and playful personality. So I wonder what the M-B results would show: the rising sign, or something else?
Unread 07-09-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
The INTP/INTJ crew are fairly rare, but they sound pretty Virgoan to me. I have Virgo rising, with Saturn in Virgo in the 12th. My sun and moon placements, however, would seemingly show a much more extroverted and playful personality. So I wonder what the M-B results would show: the rising sign, or something else?
I admit I have been wondering about this, as well.

As I indicated in a previous post, I'm pretty sure that I'm an Idealist (iNtuitive Feeler)--either ENFJ, INFJ, ENFP, or INFP. I've read through the descriptions of each of these personality types, and their common traits remind me of the energies of Pisces, even if they are classified as choleric. I'm not sure which one of these four types best represents me, however, so I'm in a similar dilemma I'm in with my Ascendant sign. I admit I am inclined to choose INFP because I cannot imagine a Judger (J) deliberating so carefully between different options; all of the descriptions I've read of this preference indicate individuals who like to make decisions, who need the closure it brings. I would like closure, as well, but I'm much more inclined to keep my options open, as indicated with my hesitancy to pick an Ascendant and stick with it. I may be an ENFP, but I think I'm slightly more of an Introvert than an Extrovert. I may act like an extrovert on the forums, but there's a reason for this; I don't socialize as much as I should in "real life," and I'm much more comfortable with written expression than with verbal expression.

Yet everything I read about INFP almost seems too dreamy, and I'm hesitant to accept this because my Aries and Capricorn stelliums seem to indicate an ability to stay present in the now and accomplish things. Yet with my chart ruler Mars in Gemini, I'm very much preoccupied with ideas, which is characteristic of this type.

The description would fit remarkably well if I have a Pisces Ascendant and use the whole sign house system, however. INFP's are all about personal values, which I believe are attributed to the second house; my Aries stellium would move to the second house using the whole sign house system.

Arian Maverick
Unread 12-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Talking Re: The Astrology of Myers-Briggs Personality Types

That is a really interesting question.
My type is ISFP: Introverted, Sensory, Feeling, Perceiving
I have: Sun in 4 degrees Aquarius, tendencies of Capricorn; Moon in Aries; Gemini Rising, Mercury in Aquarius, Venus in Pisces, and Mars in Sagittarius.

It always puzzled me that Aquarians weren't supposed to be that emotional, because I am. I think the Venus in Pisces has something to do with that. Although some astrologers don't think that January 24th should be on the cusp (or that cusps even matter), I think the proximity to Capricorn definitely affects my personality, because I am rather practical and ambitious. Also I'm thinner than most Aquarians, so I think the Gemini and the Capricorn may have something to do with that. I have a very non-linear style of thinking which often confuses people. I think the Earth and Air in my Sun Sign tend to conflict with one another, because one is very quick and flighty, the other is very literal minded and down to earth so it makes for a blend that is not super easy to categorize. I also think the Gemini Ascendant gives me the appearance of having multiple personas.
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:40 PM

Brilliant!

im an INFP/ENFP -50/50 I and E

29°sag rising
sun in aquarius
moon in libra
mercury in aquarius
venus/mars capricorn
Unread 12-24-2009, 04:49 AM

Cool Re: The Astrology of Myers-Briggs Personality Types

"INFP

You are a creative person with a great imagination. You enjoy living in your own inner world. Open minded and accepting, you strive for harmony in your important relationships. It takes a long time for people to get to know you. You are hesitant to let people get close to you. But once you care for someone, you do everything you can to help them grow and develop. In love, you tend to have high (and often unrealistic) standards. You are very sensitive. You tend to have intense feelings. You would make an excellent psychologist, writer and artist."

Wow, in love... it would be nice if I actually had any love relationships...

Other stuff I can see definitely. I tend to pick up on people who seem "wounded" or I see a bit of my self in them. I have a need to coax certain things out of people I care about or take under my wing and try to counsel them, then I try to point out there positive aspects and nurture it.

Oh god do I love to live in my own little world. Everyone plays nice there... but I have a need to face reality. I think my venus and neptune in Sag is playing pin-pong with my mars and uranus in scorpio. Sag tells me to have fun and not be so negative and suspicous (slow to let people get to know me - scorp) and then I go out and exercise that and when I get home mars in Scorp whips me back into shape and says ok now you've had your fun now lets face the facts... you were being a bit too gullible today. How do you like my interpretation? *crickets chirping*

Art and writing??? Now you don't say... (I thought my chart did not indicate creativity... >>) And psychology, funny I wanted to be an investigator at some point (which was pretty spot on when someone pointed out that profession to me (in another thread), whether it be in the traditional way or through art and writing. The idea of being an actual investigator scares the doggy doo (wow you cannot even use the c word in place of the s word???) out of me though... maybe I'm smart there. I read in a Sybil Leek book a long time ago that I had a placement that was usually in charts of people who have been assassinated... I think it was my uranus in Scorpio but I'm not sure. Goes to look up... *gulp*

NOTE: I did this test on my LJ in spring. I may be evil now... ---->

Virgo Rising
Libra Sun
Libra Moon
Venus Sag
Mercury Libra
Mars Scorpio
Saturn Leo
Uranus Scorpio
Neptune Sag
Pluto Libra
Chiron Aries
Midheaven Cancer
True Node Scorpio

Last edited by soulblazer; 12-24-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:28 PM

Absolutely you can find these trends in the astrology chart. Yin and Yang, Air, Water, Fire Earth etc......Fixed, Mutable, Cardinal.
Unread 02-13-2010, 07:15 PM

I must say this whole self-analyzing thing is starting to **** me off, after about 5 years of being into astrology...lol. sorry for seeming like just having some kind of mid-life crisis, but I am just curious..do you actually think that knowing your Myers-Briggs and the relationship it has to your chart helps you be happier and more fulfilled individuals?
And, most importantly, does it really enhance self-knowledge, or does it just offer a free self-image? And by "free" I mean an image on which physical life and experience have not taken its toll?

Truth is, I've gotten increasingly more pissed off-maybe at myself-for the past few months, cause there's just too many "if"s in astrology(and psychology, the little I've studied). First, I had to take into account the fact that I was reading my chart the wrong way for 4 years, when I realized that my whole sign house placements made more sense. Then, one open window led to another, when I realized that all my chart being in fixed signs, as it is in sidereal, makes a lot more sense than them being in Mutable, as they are in Tropical.

And now this INTP thing. I must say, for someone with 3 planets in Pisces, I have an extremely low intuition level, like my Myers-Briggs test suggested-it's my least developed "function".
Again, my Sidereal makes more sense, since it would put all my personal planets in Aquarius/Taurus, instead of Pisces/Gemini.
I have absolutely no faith in anything other than logic and physical proof. And as far as relationships go, I'm just bone-dry. I can't relate to people at all. People often mistake me for cold and materialistic, but that's just because what most people call "heart" I call "instinct", and I don't trust something I can't control.
Also, again, for a Pisces, I have an unusually high level of man-hate, and feminism. Though that might be explained through my Moon-Mars-Jupiter stellium on itself...

I'd be curious to ask you to check your Myers-Briggs types against your sidereal placements..
But, either way, I think most people go about weighing elements the wrong way.
Biggest mistake is leaving aspects out of it. Like, for instance, a Moon-Neptune conjunction will add to Water, or a Sun-Mars hard aspect, to fire.
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Depends upon how you view astrology--and Meyers-Briggs. I took the M-B test twice and came out with slightly different answers. So did I change, or is the test not such a fine-tuned instrument?

After studying astrology for nearly twenty years, I've decided that (a) it should be fun, or else find something more rewarding to do; and (b) if astrology is written and studied with some level of wisdom--or some desire to attain it--it is a useful tool for self-awareness.
Unread 04-09-2010, 01:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to piscesnurse

hi i am a enfp~ sun venus and mercury 12th house in pisces ~~ aquarius moon 11th ~ rising aries ~chiron libra seventh ~mars cancer in the fourth

Men Traveling A Narrow Path, Seeking Illumination
10 DEGREES PISCES SABIAN
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:05 AM

What a great idea, especially citing the aspects and the placement in the chart of the planets etc in the houses that influence our general personality.

I always work on archetypes as per Carl Jung and there are 12 majors.
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:28 AM

Thumbs up Re: The Astrology of Myers-Briggs Personality Types

Hi this is a cool idea
I don't think I've posted here before,but if I did, I apologize.

Anyway, I'm ISFP with the tendency to fluctuate/switch to INFP and back.
I'm just guessing on these....

Sun:Scorpio 5th Feeling
Moon:Virgo 3rd Sensing/Feeling/N
Ascendant:Gemini/Cancer 29'05 S?
MC:Pisces F/I/P/N
Mercury:Scorpio 28'57 5th S/F/P/N
Mars:Scorpio 5th S/F
Saturn: Leo 2nd/3rd cusp S/P/I
Jupiter Rx:Taurus 11th S/P
Venus:Capricorn 2'01 7th I/S
Uranus:Scorpio 5th S/F
Neptune:Sagittarius 6th F/I/N
Pluto:Libra 4th F/P/I/N

Ascendant ruler:mercury
Dominant qualities: Fixed Water

I've been experimenting with Sidereal, so I thought I'd post it too:
Houses and aspects stay the same. Just signs and degrees change

Sun:Libra/Scorpio cusp F/P/I/N
Moon:Leo I/S/F
Ascendant:Gemini 4' P
MC:Aquarius S/P
Mercury:Scorpio S/F/P/N
Mars: Scorpio S/F
Venus:Sagittarius S/F
Jupiter Rx:Taurus S/P/I
Saturn:Cancer I/F
Uranus:Libra I/F/S/P
Neptune:Scorpio N/I/P
Pluto:Virgo S/P/I

Ascendant ruler:Mercury
Dominant qualities: Fixed Air/Water

Last edited by joyrjw; 12-04-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: forgot something
Unread 12-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to Philip

Great thread !

My contribution :

INFP

I'm

ASC - SCORPIO
SUN - in 4 (conj IC) in PISCES

Cheers, Philip.
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to piscesnurse

this is really interesting
i am a enfp
sun pisces
mercury pisces
venus pisces
mars cancer
ascendant aries
moon aquarius

Men Traveling A Narrow Path, Seeking Illumination
10 DEGREES PISCES SABIAN
Unread 02-20-2011, 12:35 PM

psych major - I am ENTP for myself, the inventor type.

extrovert E - sag sun, moon gemini, jupiter in aries, mars in libra, (although quite balanced introvert (sun is in 4th house) virgo rise (ruler merc in 4th in cap) - fire and air signs stronger.

T thought - is definite over feeling. Gemini moon, virgo rising trine merc.
other gemini and aquarius. venus in 3rd, uranus in 11th.

P perception - mercury trine rising, air signs moon mars saturn neptune
(sol sign is gemini and sol moon aquarius also (60th harmonic) which I consider very important part of chart - venus in scorpio and pluto in 12th house adds intuitive spiritual perception aspects - venus in 3rd. (I believe scorpio is related to sensation S type, but in 3rd is not so sense oriented.

N - is ? Neptune on cusp of 3rd, Mercury cusp 5 perhaps. (cusp of houses are important for personal excellence areas)
Unread 07-09-2011, 09:53 PM

I'm an ISTP
Unread 07-10-2011, 02:55 AM

From the four or five different times I've done the Myers-Briggs test, my results are either ISFP or INFP.
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:59 AM

This is an interesting thread. I am an ENFP, which is both surprising and not surprising. Surprising because of my 4 planet stellium in Scorpio, and not surprising because I have substantial air in my chart and a Leo Ascendant.

But I would say ENFP fits me very well. I have two friends who have very different charts (from each other and from me) who are also ENFPs.

Tags
astrology, myers-briggs, myersbriggs, personality, personality types, types