Mercury Retrograde

Kannan

Dear Members

Now Mercury is R in Libra in Transit. What impact will it have on a native who as a student has been discussing with his Professor for the last few weeks for selecting a suitable subject for his Ph.D studies, . Will it produce a favourable result. I read somewhere old issues will click positively under the influence of Mercury when it becomes Retrograde.Is it true ? The native is Gemini asc. with his Mercury in 9H in Pisces.

Thanks in advance.

Kannan

Last edited by a moderator:

LionKing

There are different threads of instruction that is offered here and one is Merc., retro. I think of it as going back and fixing those things that have been on the planning board too long. They also say that ideas and plans seem to change when Merc., goes out of retro.,
Ok I will type a little word from Anthony Louis' "Horary Plain and Simple" page 113.

Mercury is the natural ruler of thought, communication, and questions. Even when it is not a significator, a retrograde Mercury often affects the outcome of the inquiry. According to Llewellyn's 1990 Daily Planetary Guide, "Whenever Mercury goes retrograde, astrologers find that personal communications get fouled up or misunderstood more often." Mercury represents thinking, thus someone involved in the horary matter may change their mind or desires when Mercury is retrograde. Barbara Watters comments that "Ideas which seem brilliant while Mercury is retrograde show serious flaws when it turns direct." In practice, retrograde Mercury is not so ominous as these quotes may make it sound. The basic meaning of a retrograde Mercury is a change or alteration in thought,wish, or communication.
Ok... I hope that was helpful. V/r LionKing:sunny:

Kannan

LionKing said:
The basic meaning of a retrograde Mercury is a change or alteration in thought,wish, or communication.
Ok... I hope that was helpful. V/r LionKing:sunny:

Yes. Very much helpful. Thanks. But the questiion is will the discussion between the student and the professor conclude favourable to the student while Mercury is still R by changing (as you said) the subjective attitude of the participants or only when Mercury turns direct.

Regards

Kannan

BobZemco

Delay it if you can. Also if you are going to defend your dissertation, choose a date when Mercury is not retrograde, and don't forget to check your progressed Mercury.

universal

I have found LionKing's quotes on the meaning of Mercury retrograde to be thought-provoking and I will keep them in mind for the next couple weeks...
Kannan asks about a native for whom Mercury is a huge factor (Gemini Asc.) selecting a suitable subject for PHD studies.
Man, I am not going to select a box of cereal during this transit without keeping in mind that the selection may turn out to be unfortunate. Like LionKing said, "...ideas which seemed brilliant...show serious flaws when it turns direct." Sort of like how brilliant ideas seem so marvellous when you're smoking herb...
I think this is a good time to mull, but not decide anything. We know the times Mercury will be R, so why not schedule things around it? Myself, made sure to buy my ticket (going to Thailand for two months!) BEFORE Mercury went R. Also, I need to find a home for a beautiful ficus tree before freeze-up, but will wait til Mercury is D - the adoption just wouldn't take, I fear.

Last edited:

Kannan

Thanks Universal for your reply

The student has been holding a dialogue with his professor for weeks in searching for a suitable subject for his studies even when Mercury was Direct, but nothing clicked so far. This is not his first or new discussion with him so as to keep in mind the Mercury R and delay the meeting and fix another time later when Mer. turns D. Since this is an old subject pending , I thought they will reach and come to a favorable decision under Mercury R. This thought came to me for the reason that I read somewhere that “ Mercury R is not good for starting something new but it is good for concluding pending matters”

Will appreciate your clarification

Kannan

universal

Kannan,
You need a brilliant astrologer's opinion here, of which I am not one.
I stand by what I said about not making ANY decision during a Mercury R time, but to expect that if one IS made, it won't turn out to be one that is wonderful.

Theo

Banned
universal said:
Kannan,
You need a brilliant astrologer's opinion here, of which I am not one.
I stand by what I said about not making ANY decision during a Mercury R time, but to expect that if one IS made, it won't turn out to be one that is wonderful.

This is usually the case with Mercury, depending, however, on the location of its position and placement. In Libra, this retrograde is a little easier to deal with considering Libra is an air sign, and most of any decisions made should be reviewed from now through to the end of October, when Mercury picks up speed after turning direct on October 15th.