Values Gap With Younger Generations?

byjove

Account Closed
Hi all,

I was just reading about the Chinese New Year in the next few days and how it's a time when parents encourage their 20-something children to get married before 30. I had a conversation with someone my age about marriage recently and he said that marriage to him is an out-dated institution. I totally respect difference, I invite debate a lot. But, for me, I am totally opposite this opinion. This is yet another example of 'the important things' where my values seem totally out of step with 'the modern times' and especially younger generations. This has always been the case, but why? Why is it so much easier for me to connect with anyone who is older than me?

As for looking for clues in my natal chart, I wondered did the 10th house focus mean I was always looking and planning ahead, the strong Saturn aspects adding seriousness to concerns. Even the strong 9th adds a philosophical bent, but surely I'm not the only young person with these features?

Attachments

• By Jove Placidus Natal.jpg
    By Jove Placidus Natal.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 19
  • By Jove Whole Sign with POF.jpg
    By Jove Whole Sign with POF.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 17

Yuusha

Well, your Cancer ascendant could probably explain your penchant for traditional institutions like marriage. I know another person who has Cancer Rising who married pretty early and is part of your age group.

The Dragon year is promoted as a marriage year because the Dragon year gives a sense of optimism to try all sorts of endeavors, including marriage.

Well, I don't know how many people feel this way, but I for one lack confidence in the institution of marriage because of the tensions between couples, the fact that marriage as it is is a love contract AND a financial contract (people forget the 2nd part before it is too late), the financial and emotional toll of divorce...As a member of the 80s generation, I am keenly aware of the dark side of marriage just based on what older adults go through, which explains why I feel like an alternate institution (even etymologically speaking) is needed or the financial aspect of the love contract must be less important. People also need to learn how to deal with each other better.

I try to be able to engage in dialogue with different generations. As far as the 80s generation-early 90s generation is concerned, some people have faith in marriage while others don't.

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
Good point about the ASC, I didn't consider that in this much.

You made good points about the separate elements of the contract of marriage too. I'm convinced the seriousness of those elements e.g. financial are not taken into account by everyone who ties the know. As for my own age group, rare is the person that I've discovered that looks at marriage with positivity and hope with the further belief that it can have good functions.

I just had to ask because there can be a period of time where such things come up repeatedly and it begs some questions!