Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Modern Astrology

Modern Astrology For discussions on Modern Astrology only. (Note: Typically, modern astrology is defined as using techniques developed around the late 1800s by Theosophists. Specifically it relies on psychological, evolutionary, karmic, and non-western interpretation approaches and includes Neptune, Uranus and Pluto, and non-Ptolemaic aspects. The focus is more on psychological chart interpretation instead of prediction.)

Unread 02-13-2018, 09:58 AM

Which planet rules GENERAL artistic ability, Venus or Neptune?

My research has led me to believe that Venus gives some artistic ability, but that this is usually more pronounced in females and feminine men. What about Neptune?

Unread 02-13-2018, 02:14 PM

Re: Which planet rules GENERAL artistic ability, Venus or Neptune?

In traditional astrology Venus rules all sorts of arts. If Venus rules the ascendant of the native or querent, then they will be artistic and creative. A connection with the fifth house ruler is important as well. Go to the modern astrology pages for Neptune.

And the wild regrets and the bloody sweats, None knew so well as I. For he who lives more lives than one, More deaths than one must die. -- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Culpeper For This Useful Post:
SunConjunctUranus (01-01-2019)
Unread 02-13-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryNeptunian View Post
My research has led me to believe that Venus gives some artistic ability, but that this is usually more pronounced in females and feminine men. What about Neptune?
Venus rules the arts, all the arts. My sense is that art has no particular gender.
Neptune is not included in traditional astrology. You may find more conversation about Neptune in relation to the arts in the modern astrology forums.

"You gotta have heart..." Richard Adler 1921-2012
Unread 02-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

All,

I have moved this thread from Traditional Astrology, where it was originally posted, to Modern Astrology. Postings on the Traditional Astrology board are required to be strictly about traditional astrology. Neptune, Uranus, and Pluto aren't used in traditional astrology, so if you mention any of those planets, it's not a traditional astrology topic. They are used in modern astrology, so I moved it here.

About the distinction,
Osamenor
Unread 02-14-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I disagree, planets do not have genders.

Neptune can indicate a more imaginative and dreamlike artistic sense, while the Venusian artistic sense is more about creating harmony or something pleasurable for others. Both sexes find ways to express this, but might decide to express it differently, due to societal standards and expectations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capuranusnep For This Useful Post:
IleneK (02-14-2018), or1000 (04-30-2018)
Unread 02-14-2018, 11:18 PM

I'm not sure but it's possible that the planet ruling the creativity is the ruler of the sign where is the 5th cusp.
Unread 02-14-2018, 11:39 PM

I’d say it’s a combination of both, along with ones general personality and mind.

A creative individual with plenty of imagination.

It’s an interesting one because there’s many forms of art and artists themselves; whether it be the more fantasy-based art or basic shapes and cartoons, anyone can be artistic and is artistic in their own right and unique way.

I think it would be a really insightful astrological project if there was some research in to how certain signs and combinations do specific types of art and how it’s a result of their minds and personalities.

Neptunian souls are usually artistic, I would agree. Many musicians, writers, painters and illustrators rely on their wealth of imagination and fantasy from that neptunian influence to create great pieces of work. I guess you could say that the Venusian aspect is more about the appeal of being an artist and how one sees beauty in it and is drawn to it as a hobby and career.

More anarchic forms of art such as political graffiti (banksy etc) and thought provoking images could stem from somebody with a more fiery base in their charts which would make them want to do it more physically and out in public, actively on a pursuit as opposed to taking a long period of time working on a piece in depth. Perhaps those that are less watery do quicker more basic art ...maybe those with a big air influence are drawn to mindful art and intellectual topics to create from .......... i feel that we could do a cool project here about this. Peace.
Unread 03-14-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Definitely Venus. Also Neptune in combination with ASC, Moon or Sun.

Unread 03-14-2018, 05:04 AM

Venus.

But Neptune is a useful side-kick. It doesn't deal with reality, but with the world of illusion. If you think about it, a painting is just daubs of paint on canvas. A stage play is just actors, costumes, makeup, and scenery. Neptune is what gives the illusion of reality.

I do think that Neptune rules film.

The other planets have a role to play. Mercury rules the hands and writing, for example.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 03-15-2018, 03:40 PM

While you can surely name a planet, using a power of that planet as a sign of manifesting artistic ability won't help you.

For example, you need Mars for focus and direction, you need Jupiter for expanding the ability, you need Saturn for discipline.

Any of the areas need a combination in order to work properly in a manifesting artistic endeavor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samantha Bean For This Useful Post:
belabismo (03-17-2018), or1000 (04-30-2018)
Unread 03-17-2018, 06:36 AM

To me, Venus represents what the specific perception of balance and harmony is to someone. In a natal chart, it indicates what is seen as beautiful. Some people report having more 'unusual' tastes and preferences when Venus is in Scorpio (detriment). Sites like cafeastrology also mention that Venus in Taurus (rulership) shows that someone is into traditional types of art and doesn't enjoy anything that is too outlandish.

Neptune is more about generations and things that are above us. It doesn't rule a part of your personality, given the fact that it's an outer planet.
Unread 03-18-2018, 08:43 PM

Venus is feng shui / drawing and Neptune is poetry/song lyrics, and melody.
The Following User Says Thank You to InfoOverload2 For This Useful Post:
or1000 (04-30-2018)
Unread 03-25-2018, 04:55 AM

Neptune deals with illusions. If you think about a film, none of it is "real". It's actors, costumes, sets, props, make-up, camera angles, and so on. Neptune creates a sense of reality, or at least plausibility (in an animation or sci-fi film) sufficient to draw us into the plot and characters. But it isn't real.

Venus, as Obsidian noted, is more about aesthetics.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 04-15-2018, 02:01 PM

While I don't know which planet is the planet of artistic abilities, I believe that the urge to create an art all come from different sources. Art if it is ruled by Venus motivation aims for pleasing and harmonious feelings. Art when it comes from Neptune reasons aims for expressing the suffering of all humans, since Neptune connects one's own feelings with everyone else in the world, a sense of me in everyone. So art, if it is purely ruled by Neptune, is like a medium for the collective feelings. Art, if purely comes from Venus, serve one individual's aesthetic taste.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvhoang For This Useful Post:
or1000 (04-30-2018)
Unread 04-30-2018, 12:16 AM

Venus does
Unread 05-14-2018, 10:03 PM

Art is too vague to define one planet.
Mercury is responsible for Sound and Voice
Venus is responsible for Visual Arts
Mars is responsible for Performance
The Sun and Moon are responsible for self expression
Jupiter gives education
Saturn gives discipline
Uranus makes it seem new and different but real
Neptune makes it seem nostalgic, tried and true, but surreal
Pluto gives psychological depth
The combinations of the planets in the natal chart can tell you how you artistically express yourself.
For example we can look at Kurt Cobain.
His Moon is Trined by Mercury. So he Expressed himself through his Voice.
Mercury is Opposite Pluto Retrograde and Uranus Retrograde. Mercury is also Conj Venus and Saturn. And Trine Neptune and Jupiter
When people talk about him they always reference his Voice as being his best gift musically
His sun is Trine mars, square Neptune.
He can perform and express himself, without illusion
Another example Pablo Picasso
His Moon is sextile Venus
He expressed himself through visual arts
Moon is opposite Pluto
Venus is Trine Pluto
Now follow me here.
PLUTO is connected to Jupiter who is connected to Neptune who is connected to Saturn spanning a whole 20 degrees of taurus. TAURUS RULES VENUS. This is also his tenth house (career).
The Following User Says Thank You to Timmytwothumbs For This Useful Post:
Lykanized (05-14-2018)
Unread 07-10-2018, 04:56 AM

I tried but I failed to become an Artist.
Venus opposite Neptune.

http://imgur.com/m0qQlLl
Unread 08-02-2018, 01:52 PM

I have a relation with sculpting in Clay. I consider this in my chart being...
Moon opposition Ceto and Sisiphus. This opposition makes Square with Sun and Ceres.

Ceres.. handcraft
Sisiphus.. details, patience for never ending details.
Ceto. The raw matter, Clay.
Moon and Sun are to make it importante.

This is non orthodox astrology, I know, but it's an example of considering broader meanings skywise.

I don't feel I could grasp the meanings of Venus and Neptune, even following often them on the sky.

My best guess for Venus would be associating It with Rohini nakshatra, which jyotish does not, but i find plausible. Though i only loose comprehend Rohini symbolism too. Its artistic, much related to flowers, sweets.

Last edited by aldebaran; 08-02-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Unread 08-03-2018, 08:03 PM

I'm really reluctant to use aspects to asteroids (beyond the conjunction) because you can make a chart mean practically anything you want. Are either Taurus or Virgo particularly strong in your chart? What about Mercury, who rules the hands?

C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Unread 08-03-2018, 08:26 PM

Depends on the art.

I would say that a singer like Celine Dion would be Venus; she has a nice voice and sings pleasant music that a wide range of people enjoy.

On the other hand, the stuff John Lennon and Yoko Ono created was definitely art of the Uranus variety.

Madonna’s Ray of Light album is totally Neptune. The lyrical imagery is watery and the lyrics are spiritual and...Neptunian from start to finish.

Those are just a few examples.
Unread 08-03-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post

Venus.
But Neptune is a useful side-kick. It doesn't deal with reality, but with the world of illusion.
If you think about it, a painting is just daubs of paint on canvas.
A stage play is just actors, costumes, makeup, and scenery.
Neptune is what gives the illusion of reality.
I do think that Neptune rules film.
The other planets have a role to play.
Mercury rules the hands and writing, for example.
Quote:

Neptune deals with illusions.
If you think about a film, none of it is "real".
It's actors, costumes, sets, props, make-up, camera angles, and so on.
Neptune creates a sense of reality, or at least plausibility
(in an animation or sci-fi film) sufficient to draw us into the plot and characters.
But it isn't real.
Venus, as Obsidian noted, is more about aesthetics.
continue thinking - keep in mind that physical reality is composed of atoms
actors, costumes, sets, props, make-up, cameras are composed of atoms
daubs of paint are composed of atoms

canvas is composed of atoms
planet VENUS is composed of atoms
planet NEPTUNE is composed of atoms

Traditionally, people signified by VENUS:
Musicians
painters,
ewellers
actors,
embroiderers
fiddlers
pipers
when joined with Moon singers
perfumers
upholsterers
all as sell those commodities which adorn women either in body (as clothes)
or in face, (as complexion-waters.)

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/venus_att.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 08-03-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I'm really reluctant to use aspects to asteroids (beyond the conjunction) because you can make a chart mean practically anything you want. Are either Taurus or Virgo particularly strong in your chart? What about Mercury, who rules the hands?
Sun plus Ceres in Taurus, Venus in Taurus, Mercury in Taurus, south node in virgo.

Still, i prefer the other explanation.

Cause thats not so simple, its quite relative. Asteroids are dots, signs are lines, theres at least 30 x 60 different possibility of dots for each sign/line, If we use 0,01 zodiac degree as the limit.
What i mean is that asteroids permit much more exactness than signs, and the meaning of the asteroids doesnt need to be get from natal, but also transits, progressions, which allows much research.

I didn't want to dismiss your interpretation, which I'm sure is much valuable, I'm just seeing from the speculative sight, once my aspects to Ceres are really tight I give preponderance to it.

Last edited by aldebaran; 09-06-2018 at 02:42 AM.
Unread 01-01-2019, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzander View Post
I think it would be a really insightful astrological project if there was some research in to how certain signs and combinations do specific types of art and how it’s a result of their minds and personalities.

There are so many artists with very different styles and temperaments. People's interests often inform the content of their work. The basic tropes of landscape, portrait, and still life are often regurgitated as educational exercises, but if someone paints something really wild and unusual, it's probably because they feel like it.

No art teacher is going to tell you to draw zombie kittens, and some people actively discourage it. So if someone draws something strange like that, it tells you not only what their interests are but about their persistence and authenticity too.

Body language and energy level also affect the artistic style. More frenetic energy can be seen in the marks made on a paper or canvas. In the case of someone like Pollock or Basquiat the marks almost fly off the page. Mondrian has crisp clean lines that are almost static.

Different personalities also tend to like different mediums. Sculptors are more hands on than painters. Oil painters work more slowly than acrylic painters and tend to be traditional, patient and perfectionistic. Mixed media artists are often experimental. Photographers can be both patient and impatient, prowling around like felines, cameras in hand, waiting for the right moment to pounce. Extraverts seem more likely to photograph people and introverts seem more likely to photograph landscapes. These are broad generalizations, though.

I've had people tell me my art reminded them of my personality. I'm a fine art student and I've been drawn to very chaotic energetic abstract work. I've calmed down and my work is more intricate, but still abstract. I can draw and paint people too, I just prefer not to.

So if you want one respondent, I can put up my chart and show some of my art.

Tags
ability, artistic, general, neptune, planet, rules, venus