Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Aspects & configurations

Aspects & configurations Discuss here about natal chart aspects and configurations.

Unread 12-13-2018, 10:32 PM

Question Yod, super important or not important at all?

I was researching the yod, since I have that configuration in my chart, and I found many points of view about it. On the one hand, some say that it is very important because itīs about planets or signs that do not have anything in common ... that the yod is a blocked potential that when activated changes your life, etc. that is, it is one of the most complicated configurations.
On the other hand, I read that the Yod does not have at all the importance given to it, because it is a combination of minor aspects, and precisely because of that, because there are no points in common between the parties, it does not have much influence in our lives.
Please, I would like your opinion, since I do not find much information about it, and in my chart I have a yod apx mercury and Iīm a gemini. What importance should I give in the interpretation of my chart? And if you know where I can get more information about it, please share!!
Thank you !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carta.jpg (49.8 KB, 17 views)

Unread 12-13-2018, 11:59 PM

Re: Yod, super important or not important at all?

Hi. Some yods are more important than others. I think the yod in your chart is important. Most of the people alive today have a reasonably close sextile between Neptune and Pluto, and a great many people have another planet forming some kind of configuration with them. When you were born, the sextile was very close, and Mercury not only makes very close quincunxes to Neptune and Pluto - it was exactly opposite the Neptune/Pluto midpoint. With Mercury ruling both the Sun and Venus - and with an air sign rising (which is ruled by Venus) I think Mercury's position in your chart is especially important. Mercury in Taurus may not be the easiest sign placement through which to channel Neptune and Pluto, but there are surely some very colourful possibilities when such an aesthetically sensitive Mercury is opened to the transpersonal. Reflect on the kind of mind you have. Where is it trying to take you? Give it free reign to explore and see what it comes up with.....

Best wishes

Miquar

Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks, page 118
The Following User Says Thank You to miquar For This Useful Post:
jaz84 (12-17-2018)
Unread 12-14-2018, 05:25 PM

I think they should be important, because they contain a configuration of all three modalities. To me that is significant.
The Following User Says Thank You to wan For This Useful Post:
jaz84 (12-17-2018)
Unread 12-15-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
I think they should be important, because they contain a configuration of all three modalities. To me that is significant.
Ignore yods at your peril.

Minor aspects often bring major effects...more so when involved in a formation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Useful Post:
jaz84 (12-17-2018), StelliumNoise (12-19-2018)
Unread 12-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Smile Re: Yod, super important or not important at all?

Quote:
This one has two Cardinals and one Mutable.
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
jaz84 (12-17-2018)
Unread 12-17-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miquar View Post
Mercury in Taurus may not be the easiest sign placement through which to channel Neptune and Pluto
thank you so much miquar! then I interpret that the challenge is to channel pluto and neptune energy through mercury, and that taurus resistance to changes is where one of the stress factors may lies
Unread 12-17-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
Ignore yods at your peril.

Minor aspects often bring major effects...more so when involved in a formation.
Thank you ! do you have more information about configurations? I mean research material, books, authors that you can recommend me? I donīt find much specific information about it
Unread 12-17-2018, 08:19 PM

Hi. Taurus can be quite dynamic - it's just that it has a more subjective sense of order (and thus timing) than the other earth signs. But Taurus is quite pragmatic despite this subjectivity, and part of the breadth of the configuration is that this pragmatic Mercury needs to act as a kind of mouthpiece for the vast and chaotic realms of Neptune and Pluto.

Best wishes

Miquar

Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks, page 118
The Following User Says Thank You to miquar For This Useful Post:
jaz84 (12-19-2018)
Unread 12-17-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
This one has two Cardinals and one Mutable.
I was speaking generally, which is why I said "they" instead of "it".
Unread 12-17-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I was speaking generally, which is why I said "they" instead of "it".
So, it's mid-point astrology? I thought you meant a Yod configuration itself included all three modalities. How is a Yod defined in your opinion?
Unread 12-17-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
So, it's mid-point astrology? I thought you meant a Yod configuration itself included all three modalities. How is a Yod defined in your opinion?
What's mid-point astrology?

Anyway, isn't a Yod one planet away from two planets, one that is 6 signs apart and the other 8? For example, if the focal point is Aries at 8 degree, to be a yod, the other two planets would be at roughly the 8th degree of Scorpio and Virgo. In such a case, there are planets of all three modalities. At least this is how I understood yods to be.

Last edited by wan; 12-17-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Unread 12-17-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
What's mid-point astrology?

Anyway, isn't a Yod one planet away from two planets, one that is 6 signs apart and the other 8? For example, if the focal point is Aries at 8 degree, to be an exact yod, the other two planets would be at roughly the 8th degree of Scorpio and Virgo. In such a case, there are planets of all three modalities. At least this is how I understood yods to be.
Same here. It has a maximum Orb 2 degrees for all three placements. But, Aspects alone, this one IS a VERY tight Sextile at the base, so maybe it's an "out-of-sign" Yod? Greybeard may have something to add.
Unread 12-17-2018, 10:41 PM

I think there can definitely be "out-of-sign" yods, just like how there are out of sign grand-trines.
david starling (12-17-2018)
Unread 12-17-2018, 10:52 PM

What's your maximum Orb on a grand-trine?
Unread 12-17-2018, 11:36 PM

Well, I looked it up. I have a close Trine between the Sun and Jupiter in Water, and a less than 5 degree Orb, out-of-sign Trine with Saturn in Fire, included in a Grand-trine. Glad Saturn's not in !
Unread 12-18-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
What's your maximum Orb on a grand-trine?
Havent really thought about it. But if I had to choose, probably an orb that is smaller than what is allowed for a regular grand-trine. The out-of-sign-ness means to me that the orbs allowed need to be tighter.
david starling (12-18-2018)
Unread 12-18-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Well, I looked it up. I have a close Trine between the Sun and Jupiter in Water, and a less than 5 degree Orb, out-of-sign Trine with Saturn in Fire, included in a Grand-trine. Glad Saturn's not in !
I probably have a yod in my chart. The focal point is my Pisces ascendant at 12th degree, and the other two are Pluto at Libra 16 and Jupiter at Leo 17. I am not sure if this counts or not because the ascendant is not a real object. It's just a point.
Unread 12-18-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I probably have a yod in my chart. The focal point is my Pisces ascendant at 12th degree, and the other two are Pluto at Libra 16 and Jupiter at Leo 17. I am not sure if this counts or not because the ascendant is not a real object. It's just a point.
I have a thread going on about whether the Ascendant can be considered to rule a sign, even though it's not an "object". Consider this logic: ALL of our Aspects are based on measured points, which are the intersections of the Lines of Lunar and Planetary Celestial Longitude with our plane of measurement, the Ecliptic. The only object actually IN our plane of measurement is the Sun. Also, very few astrologers claim that some sort of emanations from the Planets themselves are what's causing the astrological influence associated with them.
I would definitely considered yours to be a Yod.
Unread 12-18-2018, 01:45 AM

Cool. I like it. I have always wished there were more configurations in my chart. Thanks David!
Unread 12-18-2018, 03:51 AM

You're welcome! There's something special about this one of ours--I recently had a Mars Return, which happened at the tip of my triple Yod (Mercury is tightly Conj Mars, which is Conj my Asc, so there are 3 Yods close together, with Neptune and Pluto at the base), and I had transiting Neptune there as well, all in Pisces. I was in a disconcerting triggered state for about a week and a half. But the Ascendant transits the tip EVERY DAY. I'm going to try to find a current, up to the minute Ascendant locator for where I live, and check how it feels for the brief Ascendant Return to the Natal Yod point. If I find one, I'll let you know.

Last edited by david starling; 12-18-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Unread 12-18-2018, 03:54 AM

The OP's Yod is DEFINITELY tight-enough Orb for an out-of-sign Yod.
Unread 12-18-2018, 02:49 PM

Here's my two cents on the yod: My only practical experience with the yod is from a writer called William Styron. For those who don't know, William Styron was best known for his book Darkness Visible, which for the first time offered a humane look into depression. That doesn't mean his other books are not notable. He wrote Lie Down in Darkness, Sophie's Choice and Confession of Nat Turner, all are pretty depressing and about controversial topics. Styron seemed to be on a personal quest to bring all dark things into light as much as possible. He suffered from melanchony for most of his life, and his personality was rather difficult.

Styron's yod is super-charged. The Yod consists of Jupiter as the focal point, the Sun and Neptune. Jupiter also opposites Mars, which also forms two semi-sextile with Sun and Neptune. The four planets are in 12H, 5H 7H and 6H respectively, and there are three masculine planets (not to mention a Jupiter/Pluto opposition). 12H Jupiter has a mission to find the ultimate truth, that is related to the self (5H Sun) and mystery of human connection (7H Neptune), and the determination is amplified by Capricorn, Mars and Pluto. Sun sextile Neptune gives him an ability to put himself into others' shoes, and Gemini Sun wants to write about it. Mars in Cancer wants to fight for comfort, what is close to him. And in 6H, Mars wants to be of service to people, which is the drive for Darkness Visible.

But the yod is normally not felt by the owner in their early stage. They know they have a mission to strive for, but they don't know exactly what it is. We can see Styron's frustration in his difficult personality and his melanchony. Some of his work was written to release his anger (Set This House on Fire), other work was just to satisfy his melanchony (Sophie's Choice). In a way he was fulfilling his mission, but he had no idea what he was doing. It wasn't until Darkness Visible that he finally found the peace he was looking for. Darkness Visible contained all the frustration he had about himself, and was also a tool to express his view to the world.

But then again Styron's yod is so prominent in his chart so...

https://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?...mpedFU3b8PizkT
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemini888 For This Useful Post:
jaz84 (12-20-2018), Starsareround (12-18-2018), Witchyone (12-18-2018)
Unread 12-18-2018, 03:44 PM

There is a book called The Yod Book by Karen Hamaker-Zondag that covers yods more than any other source I know about. I've noticed that different people have different definitions for what counts as one. Some say all the parts must be planets, while others count points and other objects. Some say the apex planet must be further out (have a larger orbit) than the base planets. Some say the opposite of that, that the apex planet must have the smallest orbit. I have one by some accounts, but the orb on one of my legs is 3 degrees, which some consider too wide. My yod "counts" according to the definition given in The Yod Book, but I don't recall if she addresses your type of yod. Usually yods are made up by planets of different modalities and elements.

I do think the yod is significant. It usually doesn't get triggered until midlife. I'm still unsure if I've been experiencing my yod, some other return or transit, or just straight-up midlife crisis, but the past few years have been difficult and have challenged all my preconceived notions about myself. In some ways, I'm a baby all over again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Witchyone For This Useful Post:
jaz84 (12-19-2018)
Unread 12-19-2018, 03:19 PM

Thank you so much for this information!
Unread 12-28-2018, 10:28 PM

A yod consists of a sextile, as base, with two quincunxes, one from each of the two planets forming the sextile, to a third planet. [150 + 150 + 60 = 360].

Disagree that it doesn't normally "get triggered" until midlife.

Any critical aspect often waits for maximum effect until native is in high position to become quite obvious. Two examples: Bill Clinton, with his Mars/Neptune/Ascendant had "sex scandals" all along, but the Big One came after he was seated in the White House. I think we're seeing similar activation of aspects in Trump's case as well...his chickens are coming home to roost.

Tags
important, mercury 8th house, super, yod aspect, yod configuration