Are outer planets generational or personal?

JUPITERASC

Re: The outer planets are generational

dr. farr,
Yes, in consideration of the outers, I do not consider them generational at all, just as I do not consider the inner planets as "personal" at all; another way of saying what I mean is that all planets are potentially personal and all planets are potenitally generational. How can the slow outers be "personal", experienced from sign to sign in the space of a a typical person's life? Answer: by the movement of the outers into decans of the signs they are in, and further by movement of the outers into the duodenaries of the signs they are ar in, and, yes, even by movement of the outers into the sign-monomoiria of where they are. In other words, I maintain the outers (probably beginning with Saturn) modify the signs of a person's natal in acordance with the decans (10 degree areas), duodenaries (2.5 degree areas) and even sign monomoiria (1 degree areas) they pass through. I have given examples of this in a couple of postings to another thread dealing with the outers (I forget where on AW this thread and my posts to it are located) If anyone would like an example of what I'm talking (or babbling??) about, let me know and I'll post an example here in this thread.
Just my own hypothesis, but it seems to clarify this personal/generational quagmire, at least to my limited intelligence!

I (new, have I mentioned?) have understanding of decans, duodenaries, but am unfamiliar with monomoira. Can you explain, or direct, towards a definition? I recently read regarding Hellenistic Solar returns that the Moon was returned to it's "moiria" but couldn't find a suitable explination of what precisely that meant.
Though, perhaps that question would require a different thread, and to be moved?

quote from Curtis Manwaring aka Zoidsoft: Monomoiria are the degree lords of a given planet that are based upon its position in a given degree. Schmidt says that the moiria are "allotments" and the word is closely related to one of the "fates". It represents "one's portion" or "one's due", presumably the portion allotted to the planet because it was located in that degree.

http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3638 is a link to a topic entitled "Monomoiria - The lost essential dignity?" if one reads all posts on the thread,

Steven elucidates the monomoiria - also advising Quote: To really have a good understanding of what the early medieval astrologers were doing, one has to have a good understanding of the methods of the Hellenistic period....Hellenistic astrology introduced many such axioms which became the foundations of later applications. Solar Returns, profections, directing a significator through the "bounds" and chronocrators are all found in Hellenistic astrology

Having read all the posts in this thread, can I add my thoughts

I have always taken the view that the outer planets act generationally by virtue of their position in a Sign, and personally/mundanely according to their position relative to other planets and points in a personal/mundane/event chart.

Saying they can ONLY be generational is like saying that all Baby Boomers are now Ageing Hippies.

BUT
The generational effect of the planets may have contributed to the social environment which allowed those people to become Hippies.

There is therefore no contradiction or woolly thought in saying that the outers are both generational and personal.

On the question of attributions of planetary effects from past historical events, I had an interesting experience back when the 2000 Jupiter/Saturn conj produced its regular Stellium.

There was a lot of frankly rubbish being talked about the planetary lineup having potentially devastating effects and possibly pulling the Earth out of its orbit (remember?). So I began looking at past Stelliums in Aries, and found a very interesting one in early May 1821 - only it also had Pluto in the party. I was all set to really go in for the kill on this. Nothing interesting or disastrous happened in early May 1821 did it? Then I was vaguely listening to the radio in my car and a statement hit me:

On 5th May 1821 Napoleon Bonaparte died on St Helena!

Oops - what a mistake to (nearly) make. Even down to having Pluto there!

But there Pluto was definitely acting as a personal planet - at least for Napoleon
:smile:

It got me thinking, though, and I got out my graphic ephemeris and began looking for conjunctions of the outers. I found only one conjunction of the three outer planets:

Sometime around May 574 BCE the three outermost planets – Pluto, Neptune and Uranus, were all aligned with Jupiter. This is the only instance of this particular triple conjunction (with or without Jupiter) in the period covered by what is generally referred to as “recorded history”, and (according to my GE) will not happen again within the next three thousand years.

Well – let's think. According to the history books, the century from around 600BCE is the beginning of what is known as the Axial Age “because of the number of key figures living at this time who profoundly influenced later generations”.

They included (in approximate date order) Zoroaster; Confucius; Buddha; Mahavira (who founded Jainism) and Pythagorus (not only was he the first European vegetarian, he is also credited with the first mention of the idea of an independent soul, and the doctrine of the music of the spheres); it is the period of the Jewish captivity/exile in Babylon, which resulted in the first writing down of the Old Testament, of the writing of the Upanishads; the period when the general adoption of an alphabetic form of script (rather than a hieroglyphic one) led to wider literacy and the beginnings of literary culture in classical Greece, and the recording of the Homeric epics. It sees the development of the Greek city states, and the first stirrings of democracy; the emergence of coinage as a basis for trade, rather than barter.

I think we could call that a generational effect:whistling:

:smile:

Last edited:

waybread

JupiterAS, maybe it would be more productive of a meaningful dialogue if you responded to my points for a change, not merely repeating (ad infinitum, if not ad nauseum) mantras about "which came first." They don't have much to do with the outer planets, for one thing. As Ecclesiastes put it, "There is nothing new under the sun." One of the big projects of history is in explaining about how the content of our daily lives originated from something else in the past. It's metaphorically in our drinking water.

It isn't as though you can invalidate modern astrology by thinking you can trump it with traditional astrology's senior status. If you can do so, it has to be on the basis of superior chart interpretations. I'd love to see you demonstrate.

I agree with most of dhundun's post.

I would consider sun/moon through Mars to be personal planets--possibly even Jupiter or Saturn; but let's momentarily banish the term "personal" for the sake of discovery, and see where it leads. Maybe it isn't even a useful term. The key questions about the planets closest to us are:

1. What do they symbolize? Our innermost needs, thought processes and assertiveness? Or something that links us more abstractly to the cosmos or society? Both are important, but the first concept engages us more directly, minute by minute.

2. In what ways do we share planets' signs with other people who have ours, as well? In terms of their innermost sense of self, or in terms of sharing a particular period of history?

3. Do the planets move quickly or slowly? What impact does this have on the individual?

I note that astrology uses other concepts besides the orbital periods of the outer planets that one individual will never experience entirely. Notably in the past, most people didn't live very long. Their average life expectancies were in the 20's when the ancient astrologers did their work--i.e., under the orbital period of Saturn. The astrological "great year" and astrological ages (the Age of Pisces") come to mind. They noted comets (usually as a malevolent influence) with long orbital periods.

I agree w/ Dr. Farr, LionLady and A50, that you can interpret outer-to-outer aspects as generational. It's similar to "the Woodstock generation" or people who grew up during the Great Depression. Of course this imprints on people--but just lots of them.

Outer-to-inner is different. Neptune square sun shows up in the charts of a lot of alcoholics or drug users; and to some extent Neptune square an inner planet. Pluto aspecting the sun shows up in the charts of a lot of people who get embroiled in struggles for inter-personal dominance--this can happen even with the trine. And let's not forget outer planets conjuncting an angle.

If people don't want to use the outers--hey, more power to you. I do, and will not be discouraged from it by traditional astrologers.

JUPITERASC

JupiterAS, maybe it would be more productive of a meaningful dialogue if you responded to my points for a change, not merely repeating (ad infinitum, if not ad nauseum) mantras about "which came first." They don't have much to do with the outer planets, for one thing. As Ecclesiastes put it, "There is nothing new under the sun." One of the big projects of history is in explaining about how the content of our daily lives originated from something else in the past. It's metaphorically in our drinking water It isn't as though you can invalidate modern astrology by thinking you can trump it with traditional astrology's senior status. If you can do so, it has to be on the basis of superior chart interpretations. I'd love to see you demonstrate. I agree with most of dhundun's post. I would consider sun/moon through Mars to be personal planets--possibly even Jupiter or Saturn; but let's momentarily banish the term "personal" for the sake of discovery, and see where it leads. Maybe it isn't even a useful term. The key questions about the planets closest to us are: 1. What do they symbolize? Our innermost needs, thought processes and assertiveness? Or something that links us more abstractly to the cosmos or society? Both are important, but the first concept engages us more directly, minute by minute. 2. In what ways do we share planets' signs with other people who have ours, as well? In terms of their innermost sense of self, or in terms of sharing a particular period of history? 3. Do the planets move quickly or slowly? What impact does this have on the individual? I note that astrology uses other concepts besides the orbital periods of the outer planets that one individual will never experience entirely. Notably in the past, most people didn't live very long. Their average life expectancies were in the 20's when the ancient astrologers did their work--i.e., under the orbital period of Saturn. The astrological "great year" and astrological ages (the Age of Pisces") come to mind. They noted comets (usually as a malevolent influence) with long orbital periods. I agree w/ Dr. Farr, LionLady and A50, that you can interpret outer-to-outer aspects as generational. It's similar to "the Woodstock generation" or people who grew up during the Great Depression. Of course this imprints on people--but just lots of them. Outer-to-inner is different. Neptune square sun shows up in the charts of a lot of alcoholics or drug users; and to some extent Neptune square an inner planet. Pluto aspecting the sun shows up in the charts of a lot of people who get embroiled in struggles for inter-personal dominance--this can happen even with the trine. And let's not forget outer planets conjuncting an angle. If people don't want to use the outers--hey, more power to you. I do, and will not be discouraged from it by traditional astrologers.

ad nauseum et ad infinitum? I encourage you to believe whatever you like

The actual reason traditional astrologers do not use the outer planets is far simpler: the real reason is because Uranus, Neptune and Pluto are invisible to the naked eye and may only be seen with the use of powerful telescopes. Since telescopes were unavailable thousands of years ago, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were invisible to the naked eye. So obviously traditional astrologers could not use Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are visible to the naked eye, therefore traditional astrologers used these seven visible planets thousands of years ago, just as traditional astrologers continue to. That is the reason traditional astrologers did not and do not use Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. :smile:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=312386&posted=1#post312386
btw Who is JupiterAS? My Avatar is JUPITERASC :smile:

Last edited:

sethi

Re: "modern" traditional astrologers, to Jupiter

Jupiter,

You said:

I worded that poorly. You are correct about the original traditional astrologers. I was talking about astrologers today who deliberately avoid the modern astrological methods and turn instead to traditional methods. For these astrologers the reason they choose traditional astrology is not because they can not see Uranus, Neptune, or Pluto in the sky, but because of something else. I am suggesting that it's the inability to predict precisely using the outers attracts those people who like to predict things to take up traditional astrology.

Guessing,

Tim

I think that this is the best reply yet

Rebel Uranian

I see the outer planets as representing the issues people metaphorically shove under the carpet because they think they can't deal with them (not necessarily not thinking about them, just not doing anything about/with them personally): Sudden change and rebellion, illusions and artistic genius, deep-buried secrets and transformation. They're transpersonal, but that makes them more important rather than less from my perspective, and just because you couldn't get them in a different sign by being born a few days earlier or later doesn't mean what sign yours is in natally isn't important. The inner planets produce fleeting results, but the course of humanity/the future/all that cool stuff my biased Aquarian self likes are represented by the outers. Of course I'd use them. If you don't want to know when a deep buried issue is going to affect your love life, ignore that aspect from Pluto to your Venus. But I'd like to know. If someone can do a more correct interpretation of my chart without outers, then I'll gladly switch to not using them. But I'm not interested in my love/family/career/finances even a measurable amount as I'm interested in the course of the world in the long run. So yes, personal bias as I said. But the world not as a collective. Everyone running around individually without any ridiculous cultural fads or people being exposed to the topic of sex for the first time or revolutions in foreign countries. Try to imagine it. Just try.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Re: outer planets are generational

I worded that poorly. You are correct about the original traditional astrologers. I was talking about astrologers today who deliberately avoid the modern astrological methods and turn instead to traditional methods. For these astrologers the reason they choose traditional astrology is not because they can not see Uranus, Neptune, or Pluto in the sky, but because of something else. I am suggesting that it's the inability to predict precisely using the outers attracts those people who like to predict things to take up traditional astrology. Guessing, Tim

I think that this is the best reply yet

Nevertheless, one of the demarcations between Traditional and Modern astrological interpretation remains the outer planets: for example, Traditional astrologers established a system of dignities and debilites that excludes the outer planets so if an astrologer is delineating Uranus, Neptune and Pluto as if they have dignity and/or debility in any sign, then that astrologer is a Modern astrologer. Similar debates have occured in the past and the subject is likely to remain one of continuing debate http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30829 . :smile:

sethi

Re: what about squares and oppostions? to Jupiter

I would go even further to included Jupiter -also as I've seen pluto conj saturn be effective, saturn conj neptune play out and even saturn conj uranus be effective to.

I have not seen this in any chart. But I have seen the effect of transiting Uranus especially at the angles and also when contacting the natal sun.

Where neptune is concerned, I really don't think it has much effect. And Pluto? well I do go by its definition and that I would think that where pluto is situated it will have a mars like effect, But I don't think that transiting Pluto will have much effect.

To check the bad effects, we will have to see the other faster planets. and saturn and its transiting placement with respect to its natal placement.

And sometimes Jupiter is also the cause of much worries and tension, and for some people it is not an indicator of good luck. And sometimes people may get confused and give credit to the transiting pluto , while basically it is the transiting jupiter which is giving the bad effect.

So in the end I would say that the natal chart must be checked out completely to come to a valid conclusion.

My experiences mostly.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

And Pluto? well I do go by its definition and that I would think that where pluto is situated it will have a mars like effect, But I don't think that transiting Pluto will have much effect. So in the end I would say that the natal chart must be checked out completely to come to a valid conclusion. My experiences mostly.
Ancient significations of mars - courtesy of Vettius Valens who noted them in an Anthology nearly two thousand years ago are :smile: :
"Mars indicates force, wars, plunderings, screams, violence, whoring, the loss of property, banishment, exile, alienation from parents, /3P/ capture, the deaths of wives, /3K/ abortions, love affairs, marriages, the loss of goods, lies, vain hopes, strong-armed robbery, banditry, looting, quarrels among friends, anger, fighting, verbal abuse, hatreds, lawsuits. Mars brings violent murders, slashings and bloodshed, attacks of fever, ulceration, boils, burns, chains, torture, masculinity, false oaths, wandering, embassies under difficult circumstances, actions involving fire or iron, craftwork, masonry. In addition Mars causes commands, campaigns and leadership, infantrymen, governorships, hunting, wild game, falls from heights or from animals, weak vision, strokes. Of the body parts, Mars rules the head, the seat, the genitals; of the internal parts, it rules the blood, the sperm ducts, the bile, the elimination of excrement, the parts in the rear, the back, and the underside. It controls the hard and the abrupt. Of materials, it rules iron, decoration of clothing (because of Aries), as well as wine and beans. It is of the night sect, red in color and acid in taste."
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf

I have not seen this in any chart. But I have seen the effect of transiting Uranus especially at the angles and also when contacting the natal sun.

Where neptune is concerned, I really don't think it has much effect. And Pluto? well I do go by its definition and that I would think that where pluto is situated it will have a mars like effect, But I don't think that transiting Pluto will have much effect. [ I disagree T Neptune and Pluto to personal planets is a *major influence*]

My experiences mostly.
I've never seen pluto behave *like mars* anywhere in a chart either. Pluto is completely different in effects....

Rebel Uranian

Uranus is the higher octave of Mercury. Neptune is the higher octave of Venus. Pluto is the higher octave of Mars. If they don't behave the same way on a different level, either you don't understand them, or they aren't legitimate objects. Uranus and Neptune have a lot of similarities to Saturn since Mercury and Saturn rule the Air triplicity and Venus is ruler of Saturn in planetary order. Mars doesn't have much to do with Saturn besides being a malefic and a sign of Saturn being the exaltation of Mars. A sign of Mars is also the fall of Saturn, so it's not like they're mutually beneficial to each other either.

There is too much stuff that Mars stands for. I'm beginning to think that astrology is so vague it's bunk. I'm also beginning to think that psychology and some "legitimate sciences" are so vague that they're bunk too. Never mind, everything is meaningless bunk. Must not structure have a genesis, and must not the origin, the point of genesis, be already structured, in order to be the genesis of something? Aka, everything is meaningless bunk so who gives a darn.

JUPITERASC

Is there anything that Mars doesn't indicate?
Since you asked, these are the ancient significations of the Sun, courtesy Vettius Valens http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf :smile:

"In a nativity the all-seeing sun, nature’s fire and intellectual light, the organ of mental perception, indicates kingship, rule, intellect, intelligence, beauty, motion, loftiness of fortune, the ordinance of the gods, judgement, public reputation, action, authority over the masses, the father, the master, friendship, noble personages, honors consisting of pictures, statues, and garlands, high priesthoods, rule over one’s country and over other places.

Of the parts of the body, the sun rules the head; of the sense organs, it rules the right eye; of the trunk, it rules the heart; of the spiritual (i.e. the perceptive) faculties, the nerves. Of materials, it rules gold; of fruits, it rules wheat and barley. It is of the day sect, yellowish, bitter in taste." :smile:

tokyo.lights

All this information is a lot to take!! So the last three planets are just *poof* gone? I always did wonder how astrology incorporates newly discovered planets, essentially changing teachings of the past permanently. All very interesting ~continues reading thread~

JUPITERASC

Hold just a second!:surprised: THIS is what is refered to as Vedic Astrology?!! It's all coming together now:joyful:

The ancient significations of the Sun, courtesy Vettius Valens http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf are from Hellenistic astrology which preceded Medieval Astrology tokyo.lights - although there ARE many similarities between Vedic and Hellenistic - and as it happens there is a recent thread "Hellenistic Delineations with discussion at this link http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43920 :smile:

tokyo.lights

The ancient significations of the Sun, courtesy Vettius Valens http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf are from Hellenistic astrology which preceded Medieval Astrology tokyo.lights - although there ARE many similarities between Vedic and Hellenistic - and as it happens there is a recent thread "Hellenistic Delineations with discussion at this link http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43920 :smile:
I bookmarked the Hellenistic thread - and saved the pdf!:joyful: thank you!

waybread

All this information is a lot to take!! So the last three planets are just *poof* gone? I always did wonder how astrology incorporates newly discovered planets, essentially changing teachings of the past permanently. All very interesting ~continues reading thread~

No, they are not "just *poof* gone" for modern astrologers. We ustill use them extensively. They are not part of traditional western or Vedic astrology, although some traditionalists do use them.

JUPITERASC

No, they are not "just *poof* gone" for modern astrologers. We ustill use them extensively. They are not part of traditional western or Vedic astrology, although some traditionalists do use them.
The outer planets are a recent arrival on the astrological scene - therefore there are no reliable sources for their "delineation" - the modern way is that everyone has their own variable opinon on the subject :smile:
Why??? Ignoring Uranus, Pluto and Neptune is a huge mistake, huge.:sad:
Yes, without those you'll never be able to tell if you're a genius, planning a revolt, are on drugs, or are on the verge of a major life-altering transformation which occurs every few months, apparently.